Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JulieJewel
    • By JulieJewel 13th Sep 18, 4:27 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    JulieJewel
    PIP and UC
    • 13th Sep 18, 4:27 PM
    PIP and UC 13th Sep 18 at 4:27 PM
    Hi all.

For many years I've had anxiety, as well as agoraphobia in certain situations, and this has affected my ability to work. However I do like to keep busy and I have a blog and I sell stuff online, and sometimes I do telephone interviewing work from home although I'm not making much. My biggest problem is face to face pressure, especially when away from home, but I'm ok on the phone and at home, and usually I'm fine when out and about locally, because it's familiar and I can come and go without pressure.

The council recently stoppped my rent money because my income is on and off and very low, and I was recently advised to claim PIP and Universal Credit. I've read some information and I'd like to know...

Does LCWRA mean that you're not required to look for work? Would I qualify? The thought of having to go to the job centre and give evidence of a job search would be a struggle.

What happens (in terms of Universal Credit) if you work while on PIP and Universal Credit? Will they (UC) treat you as a jobseeker or will they just make deductions because of your income?

I'd appreciate any help and advice, thank you all.
    Last edited by JulieJewel; 14-09-2018 at 1:58 AM.
Page 1
    • Ineededaname
    • By Ineededaname 13th Sep 18, 8:21 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    Ineededaname
    • 13th Sep 18, 8:21 PM
    • 13th Sep 18, 8:21 PM
    PIP is a completley separate benefit to UC and doesn't have any effect on it, and any earnings you have make no difference. It's also paid to people in work.

If you claimed UC you would need to provide a sick note and have some form of contact with an advisor pending your WCA (Work Capability Assessment). A decision will be made following your WCA on whether you are fit for work or not. You also have a health assessment claiming PIP.

Normally, UC takes 63pence off your benefit for every £1 you earn. If you are responsible for children or found not fit to work you would also have a small allowance you can earn before they start taking that.

Based soley on what you've said here I doubt you would be put in the support / LCWRA group, but who knows really. The other group is LCW - limited capability to work. You still have appointments here but far less often, and aren't expected to actively look for work.
    • JulieJewel
    • By JulieJewel 13th Sep 18, 8:35 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JulieJewel
    • 13th Sep 18, 8:35 PM
    • 13th Sep 18, 8:35 PM
    Thank you.

Actually what I meant was, if you're on PIP and Universal credit, and you work, what happens with Universal Credit, and will you be treated as a jobseeker or will they just simply make deductions?
    Last edited by JulieJewel; 13-09-2018 at 8:37 PM.
    • Ineededaname
    • By Ineededaname 14th Sep 18, 1:17 AM
    • 61 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    Ineededaname
    • 14th Sep 18, 1:17 AM
    • 14th Sep 18, 1:17 AM
    PIP payments have no effect on UC.
    You have separate medical assessments for both.
    PIP has no effect on UC what so ever. It's totally separate.
    • JulieJewel
    • By JulieJewel 14th Sep 18, 1:56 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JulieJewel
    • 14th Sep 18, 1:56 AM
    • 14th Sep 18, 1:56 AM
    PIP payments have no effect on UC.
    You have separate medical assessments for both.
    PIP has no effect on UC what so ever. It's totally separate.
    Originally posted by Ineededaname

What happens (in terms of Universal Credit) if you work while on PIP and Universal Credit? Will they (UC) treat you as a jobseeker or will they just make deductions because of your income?
    Last edited by JulieJewel; 14-09-2018 at 1:58 AM.
    • tomtom256
    • By tomtom256 14th Sep 18, 7:47 AM
    • 991 Posts
    • 1,782 Thanks
    tomtom256
    • 14th Sep 18, 7:47 AM
    • 14th Sep 18, 7:47 AM
    Originally posted by JulieJewel

Of course they would treat you as a jobseeker.

Just because you are on PIP doesn't mean you can't work. Any income received in the assessment periods will be treated as income accordingly.
    • huckster
    • By huckster 14th Sep 18, 7:49 AM
    • 3,320 Posts
    • 1,445 Thanks
    huckster
    • 14th Sep 18, 7:49 AM
    • 14th Sep 18, 7:49 AM
    If you have a Work Capability Assessment and the decision is that you qualify for either LCW or LCWRA, then you have a Work Allowance applied to employment earnings, so the whole amount is not subject to the taper rate. Normally UC will deduct 63p from each £1 you earn, but a Work Allowance allows £198 or £409( if no housing costs) to be ignored before a taper rate applies.

LCW/LCWRA also means a relaxed claimant commitment with no work search requirement, even if your earnings below the level UC expects.

If you are earning regular amounts with a health condition, you would need to request a UC Work Capability Assessment. Depending on earnings reported, it might not be triggered automatically,
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 14th Sep 18, 8:21 AM
    • 452 Posts
    • 277 Thanks
    calcotti
    • 14th Sep 18, 8:21 AM
    • 14th Sep 18, 8:21 AM
    If you are earning regular amounts with a health condition, you would need to request a UC Work Capability Assessment. Depending on earnings reported, it might not be triggered automatically,
    Originally posted by huckster
    If you earn more than 16 x NMW (£125.28)/week you cannot be referredfor a WCA unless you are already in receipt of AA, DLA or PIP.
    • Ineededaname
    • By Ineededaname 14th Sep 18, 9:33 AM
    • 61 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    Ineededaname
    • 14th Sep 18, 9:33 AM
    • 14th Sep 18, 9:33 AM
    PIP and UC have no effect on each other at all. Stop asking questions that combine them because it's irrelevent.

If your question is will Universal credit treat you as jobseeker then the answer is yes. You need to provide a sick note and go through the medical assessment and be found LCW or LCWRA for this to change.

The only other thing to note that hasn't been said in this thread already is that If you earn more than £338 a month you should be placed into light touch which should mean no Jobcentre contact.
    • Angus Olivier
    • By Angus Olivier 14th Sep 18, 11:22 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Angus Olivier
    I don't understand this.
    Last edited by Angus Olivier; 14-09-2018 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Error
    • JulieJewel
    • By JulieJewel 14th Sep 18, 1:03 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JulieJewel
    If you have a Work Capability Assessment and the decision is that you qualify for either LCW or LCWRA, then you have a Work Allowance applied to employment earnings, so the whole amount is not subject to the taper rate. Normally UC will deduct 63p from each £1 you earn, but a Work Allowance allows £198 or £409( if no housing costs) to be ignored before a taper rate applies.

LCW/LCWRA also means a relaxed claimant commitment with no work search requirement, even if your earnings below the level UC expects.

Originally posted by huckster

Let me see if I understand.

If I'm on PIP and LCWRA, or at least LCWRA, I won't be required to work, or look for work, or go to the jobcentre at all?

But if I do work, I won't be required to do the above, but I can work as and when I feel up to it?

And my earnings will only begin to be get deductions for anything above £198 per month?

Do I have that right or am I missing anything?
    • Ineededaname
    • By Ineededaname 14th Sep 18, 1:29 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    Ineededaname
    If I'm on PIP and LCWRA
    PIP is irrelevant and nothing to do with the UC WCA decision.

or at least LCWRA, I won't be required to work, or look for work, or go to the jobcentre at all?
    If you are found fit for work at a WCA - you have to look for work.
    If you are found LCW for work at a WCA - you do not have to look for work but still have three monthly appointments at the Jobcentre and can be asked to do certain things.
    If you are found LCWRA at a WCA you have no requirements or appointments.

From the date you claim until your WCA could be a few months. You need to supply a sick note to start the health process. When you have a sick note awaiting a WCA you don't need to be able to start work but they can ask you to do things and you do have appointments. The frequenecy of them will depend on your coach.

But if I do work, I won't be required to do the above, but I can work as and when I feel up to it?
    If you earn more than 338 a month you would be in light touch and shouldn't have appointments at the jobcentre.

If you are found LCW or LCWRA there's nothing to stop you working as such. Your health decision is reassesed periodically so if you were earning lots it might impact the decision.

And my earnings will only begin to be get deductions for anything above £198 per month?
    Only if found LCW or LCWRA
    • JulieJewel
    • By JulieJewel 14th Sep 18, 2:10 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JulieJewel
    PIP is irrelevant and nothing to do with the UC WCA decision.

If you are found fit for work at a WCA - you have to look for work.
    If you are found LCW for work at a WCA - you do not have to look for work but still have three monthly appointments at the Jobcentre and can be asked to do certain things.
    If you are found LCWRA at a WCA you have no requirements or appointments.

From the date you claim until your WCA could be a few months. You need to supply a sick note to start the health process. When you have a sick note awaiting a WCA you don't need to be able to start work but they can ask you to do things and you do have appointments. The frequenecy of them will depend on your coach.

If you earn more than 338 a month you would be in light touch and shouldn't have appointments at the jobcentre.

If you are found LCW or LCWRA there's nothing to stop you working as such. Your health decision is reassesed periodically so if you were earning lots it might impact the decision.

Only if found LCW or LCWRA
    Originally posted by Ineededaname

Thank you, I think I get the gist of it.

If I go to the doctor and get a sick note, and apply for Universal credit, I assume that I would simply have to supply the doctor's note in order to be exempt from having to go to the jobcentre, is that right?
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 14th Sep 18, 8:52 PM
    • 452 Posts
    • 277 Thanks
    calcotti
    Thank you, I think I get the gist of it.

If I go to the doctor and get a sick note, and apply for Universal credit, I assume that I would simply have to supply the doctor's note in order to be exempt from having to go to the jobcentre, is that right?
    No. You will have to attend JobCentre to meet a work coach. If you provide a Fit Note which indicates something other than a short term illness the DWP will start the Work Capability Assessment process. Only the outcome of the WCA will determine the long term expectations in respect of DWP requirements. In the mean time the work coach has discretion to turn off the work search requirements.
    • JulieJewel
    • By JulieJewel 14th Sep 18, 11:50 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JulieJewel
    No. You will have to attend JobCentre to meet a work coach. If you provide a Fit Note which indicates something other than a short term illness the DWP will start the Work Capability Assessment process. Only the outcome of the WCA will determine the long term expectations in respect of DWP requirements. In the mean time the work coach has discretion to turn off the work search requirements.
    Originally posted by calcotti

I'm not allowed to post links yet, but I just read a page on the citizens advice website that says :

"Tell your work coach if your sickness or disability reduces what you can do to work or look for work. Youíll usually need to fill in a form and you might need to go to a medical assessment."

"If the DWP decide you donít have LCW or LCRWA youíll be in the Ďall work-related activity groupí. The Jobcentre should still take your sickness or disability into account when considering what type of work you need to apply for."

It seems to be saying (I'm paraphrasing) that after they do the assessment, if you don't get LCW or LCWRA, then the job centre still has to take into consideration what it says on your sick note.

So if the job centre has to take the sick note into consideration after the assessment, surely they'd have to take it into consideration before the assessment. I don't see why they'd only have to take it seriously after the assessment. If you already have a sick note, they should bear that in mind.

I know logic and reason don't always prevail, but surely in this case it would, no?

Last edited by JulieJewel; 14-09-2018 at 11:52 PM.
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 15th Sep 18, 7:41 AM
    • 452 Posts
    • 277 Thanks
    calcotti
    Thatís what I said. They have to take it into consideration but itís at their discretion.
    • JulieJewel
    • By JulieJewel 19th Sep 18, 1:15 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JulieJewel
    I've started applying for Universal Credit. I've answered most of the questions.

It asks if I have anything that affects my ability to work or seek work, and I said yes. But now it's asking for the start date of me not being able to work.

The thing is I can work, but my problem is that I am limited in what kind of work I can do.

What do I do? I can't put down any specific date because first of all I can work albeit limited, and secondly there's no exact date I can put down.

I want to tell them exactly the right answers but this question doesn't allow me to do that and I don't want to get in trouble due to them thinking that I'm lying or being inaccurate.
    Last edited by JulieJewel; 19-09-2018 at 1:18 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,264Posts Today

6,763Users online

Martin's Twitter