Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • konveros
    • By konveros 13th Sep 18, 1:44 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    konveros
    First Direct Employment Verification
    • 13th Sep 18, 1:44 PM
    First Direct Employment Verification 13th Sep 18 at 1:44 PM
    Hi Guys, thought I'd post this here and see what your thoughts are, because it seems strange to me.
    Applied for a First Direct current account yesterday to get the switcher gift and also to get the 5% saver, they called me today whilst I was at work and, after a few misunderstandings with the employee, they said they want to check that I actually work for the company (a large UK Bank, I work in their Technology section) that I put on my application. They wanted to do this by calling the company's main number and then getting through to me on an office phone, but here's the problem:
    1. I don't have a desk phone or office mobile. We all use email or Skype/video conference at work.
    2. Even if I did have one, the number they have for the bank is their customer service number, for telephone banking customers... and they refuse to use any other number... so of course you can't phone any bank's customer service number and ask to speak to a specific member of back office staff!!
    I have offered them payslips, company email etc... all apparently not acceptable. Right now I'm waiting for a call back from a 'colleague' who this got passed on to, but it struck me as quite odd. I did call them on their number off the website, so it isn't fake as far as I know, anyone else had similar problems?
Page 1
    • PRAISETHESUN
    • By PRAISETHESUN 13th Sep 18, 2:46 PM
    • 265 Posts
    • 108 Thanks
    PRAISETHESUN
    • 13th Sep 18, 2:46 PM
    • 13th Sep 18, 2:46 PM
    This also seems strange to me. Are you sure that it was actually First Direct who called?

I'd probably make a complaint and keep pushing that your payslips, or a letter from your HR department on a company letterhead should be sufficient proof of employment...
    • stclair
    • By stclair 13th Sep 18, 4:12 PM
    • 6,494 Posts
    • 3,442 Thanks
    stclair
    • 13th Sep 18, 4:12 PM
    • 13th Sep 18, 4:12 PM
    Yeah I had this issue used to work at RBS in a back office team. In the end gave them the main company switchboard number and they put them through to my extension.
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
    • konveros
    • By konveros 13th Sep 18, 4:26 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    konveros
    • 13th Sep 18, 4:26 PM
    • 13th Sep 18, 4:26 PM
    Quite sure it was actually FD, because I actually missed their first call and called them back using the number off their website. I was suspicious though.
    And yes, I don't see how payslips can't be accepted. Almost any other bank does! (well, most of them don't even ask)
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 13th Sep 18, 6:27 PM
    • 1,576 Posts
    • 1,341 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    • 13th Sep 18, 6:27 PM
    • 13th Sep 18, 6:27 PM
    FD are up their own bottoms, even more so since the latest poll.
    Have you seen the ad? "We're so sorry that all of the other banks are going to have to put this up in their thousands of branches"...tee hee.
    At least they're got branches. Were would you put it, on your internal notice boards?
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 13th Sep 18, 10:09 PM
    • 4,607 Posts
    • 1,458 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    • 13th Sep 18, 10:09 PM
    • 13th Sep 18, 10:09 PM
    FD are up their own bottoms, even more so since the latest poll.
    Have you seen the ad? "We're so sorry that all of the other banks are going to have to put this up in their thousands of branches"...tee hee.
    At least they're got branches. Were would you put it, on your internal notice boards?
    Originally posted by Shakin Steve
    They should be providing a blended HSBC / First Direct rating as they aren't really a separate bank -just a trading name.

But yes, they do have a high opinion of themselves - even over the phone.
    • konveros
    • By konveros 14th Sep 18, 9:55 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    konveros
    • 14th Sep 18, 9:55 AM
    • 14th Sep 18, 9:55 AM
    Absolutely agree, they are right up their own bottoms.
    The latest news: they now want a bank statement showing my income and address, and pics of my driving licence, which is all normal, but...
    they now also want to call me on my landline (which I don't have), because it's listed in the phone book?? Something about a 'listed number check'. Am very tempted to tell them exactly where to put their satisfaction rating right now, because this is nothing like what I was expecting.
    • JuicyJesus
    • By JuicyJesus 14th Sep 18, 10:03 AM
    • 3,278 Posts
    • 3,595 Thanks
    JuicyJesus
    • 14th Sep 18, 10:03 AM
    • 14th Sep 18, 10:03 AM
    Absolutely agree, they are right up their own bottoms.
    The latest news: they now want a bank statement showing my income and address, and pics of my driving licence, which is all normal, but...
    they now also want to call me on my landline (which I don't have), because it's listed in the phone book?? Something about a 'listed number check'. Am very tempted to tell them exactly where to put their satisfaction rating right now, because this is nothing like what I was expecting.
    Originally posted by konveros
    Must say that that all of this is an exceptionally overbearing set of ID requirements and if I were you I'd tell them to ram it where the sun doesn't shine. It hints at them thinking your application is fraudulent in some way, but even so that can be mollified with ID checks; this "landline check" thing would be the final straw for me.

Asking for ID and proof of address? Fair enough. Calling your employer's customer services and getting upset because frontline agents won't pass them through to a random member of staff? Calling a landline because they want to check the number is yours? Seriously?

I too think success has gone to First Direct's heads. The thing I noticed with them when I banked with them last is that when you're a customer they tend to treat banking with them as a privilege that you should be grateful for having the opportunity for, rather than them being an organisation that exists to provide their customers with banking services; and if you aren't in their targeted "high net worth" bracket then you should be grateful for getting the crumbs from their table, while that aforementioned bracket gets goodies and niceties galore. Their service is really not all that, their internet banking is dire (it is literally exactly the same as it was in 2009!) and I've had equivalent if not better service off Nationwide, the Co-op and Halifax. Back in 2009 they could use their service as a differentiator because they were legitimately better and more efficient/customer-friendly than other places, in 2018 they just seem to like the smell of their own farts.

In no small measure I think a lot of these satisfaction ratings are down to inertia - people are happy because they bank with "the best bank" so rate it higher even if they get factually equivalent service elsewhere but would rate it lower because it's "just" Halifax or "just" Lloyds.
    Last edited by JuicyJesus; 14-09-2018 at 10:08 AM.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
    • konveros
    • By konveros 14th Sep 18, 1:41 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    konveros
    • 14th Sep 18, 1:41 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 1:41 PM
    Must say that that all of this is an exceptionally overbearing set of ID requirements and if I were you I'd tell them to ram it where the sun doesn't shine. It hints at them thinking your application is fraudulent in some way, but even so that can be mollified with ID checks; this "landline check" thing would be the final straw for me.

Asking for ID and proof of address? Fair enough. Calling your employer's customer services and getting upset because frontline agents won't pass them through to a random member of staff? Calling a landline because they want to check the number is yours? Seriously?

I too think success has gone to First Direct's heads. The thing I noticed with them when I banked with them last is that when you're a customer they tend to treat banking with them as a privilege that you should be grateful for having the opportunity for, rather than them being an organisation that exists to provide their customers with banking services; and if you aren't in their targeted "high net worth" bracket then you should be grateful for getting the crumbs from their table, while that aforementioned bracket gets goodies and niceties galore. Their service is really not all that, their internet banking is dire (it is literally exactly the same as it was in 2009!) and I've had equivalent if not better service off Nationwide, the Co-op and Halifax. Back in 2009 they could use their service as a differentiator because they were legitimately better and more efficient/customer-friendly than other places, in 2018 they just seem to like the smell of their own farts.

In no small measure I think a lot of these satisfaction ratings are down to inertia - people are happy because they bank with "the best bank" so rate it higher even if they get factually equivalent service elsewhere but would rate it lower because it's "just" Halifax or "just" Lloyds.
    Originally posted by JuicyJesus
    Yep, 100% agree. Not to mention that the landline number they found for my flat was out of the phonebook - I do get a phone line with my broadband but I don't have it plugged in. And yes, as for the phoning work on their customer service number, they should know better, being a bank themselves. They even wanted a broadband bill confirming that it is my number, when I didn't even put it on the application form!!
    Customer service rep said she'd email me a link to provide ID documents after the call, which was this morning, but nothing so far. I will probably submit documents and, if they don't like them, tell them to stuff it.
    • stclair
    • By stclair 14th Sep 18, 4:43 PM
    • 6,494 Posts
    • 3,442 Thanks
    stclair
    I went to change my name with FD the other week and what a drama that was!!
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
    • eschaton
    • By eschaton 14th Sep 18, 5:15 PM
    • 1,795 Posts
    • 1,583 Thanks
    eschaton
    I'm only still with First Direct for the regular saver.

Without that I would have switched long ago.

They really are nothing special.
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 15th Sep 18, 1:01 PM
    • 3,206 Posts
    • 922 Thanks
    AndyPK
    Yeah they aren't worth the hassle if trying to bank with them
    • konveros
    • By konveros 15th Sep 18, 4:08 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    konveros
    Latest news: After another call, a very helpful lady sent me the link to upload ID&V documents, and said that we'd sort out this weird 'listed phone number' call once we've done that, but did warn that if they couldn't do that they wouldn't progress with the account opening. I'm still baffled, I can't imagine they do this for all their customers, and even then, I'm still unsure why they've picked me for such a check. I don't have a landline, just a pay as you go mobile, because I rarely make calls anyway.
    • takman
    • By takman 15th Sep 18, 8:09 PM
    • 3,647 Posts
    • 3,275 Thanks
    takman
    I don't have a landline, just a pay as you go mobile, because I rarely make calls anyway.
    So you don't have a broadband connection at home which includes a phone line?
    If you do you just need to plug in a phone for them to ring you.
    • konveros
    • By konveros 15th Sep 18, 10:44 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    konveros
    So you don't have a broadband connection at home which includes a phone line?
    If you do you just need to plug in a phone for them to ring you.
    Originally posted by takman
    Sorry, to clarify, I do have a landline with my broadband, but my bill doesn't show my landline number on it (I don't even know it myself), which apparently isn't good enough for FD!
    • takman
    • By takman 15th Sep 18, 11:00 PM
    • 3,647 Posts
    • 3,275 Thanks
    takman
    Sorry, to clarify, I do have a landline with my broadband, but my bill doesn't show my landline number on it (I don't even know it myself), which apparently isn't good enough for FD!
    Well when you took out the contract you will almost certainly have been given a phone number and this is probably what is listed in the phonebook. So it's just a simple case of plugging a phone in and waiting for a call from them if you want the account. If you want your number simply ring your mobile to see what it is.

Although you may decide it's not worth it.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 16th Sep 18, 10:28 AM
    • 26,482 Posts
    • 15,723 Thanks
    xylophone
    Have you checked your name in the phonebook to see what number is listed for you?
    • meer53
    • By meer53 16th Sep 18, 1:20 PM
    • 9,283 Posts
    • 13,495 Thanks
    meer53
    I can't imagine they do this for all their customers

They don't.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 16th Sep 18, 3:55 PM
    • 26,482 Posts
    • 15,723 Thanks
    xylophone
    They don't.
    I opened an account with FD several years back to take advantage of the RS - I don't recall any hassle at all.
    • Willing2Learn
    • By Willing2Learn 16th Sep 18, 4:04 PM
    • 1,441 Posts
    • 1,095 Thanks
    Willing2Learn
    ...I can't imagine they do this for all their customers
    They don't.
    Originally posted by meer53
    I opened an account with FD several years back to take advantage of the RS - I don't recall any hassle at all.
    Originally posted by xylophone
    I opened a FD current account 2 years ago and they verified my ID and address electronically, using data held in my credit file.

@konveros - Have you checked your credit files with the three CRAs? Maybe there is something in the data held that has lead to this surprising behaviour from First Direct?
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,353Posts Today

8,774Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin