Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • italy21
    • By italy21 13th Sep 18, 1:24 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    italy21
    Scottish widoe endownment
    • 13th Sep 18, 1:24 PM
    Scottish widoe endownment 13th Sep 18 at 1:24 PM
    We have a Scottish Widows, low-cost endownment with profits endowment due to edpire 13/1/2019. interest only mortgage expires 15/10/2018/ Today we received figures from SW detailed below

Surrender value 42669

illustrated maturity vale
    0.5% 39400
    6.5% 42900,

now im guessing there is no way we will get 6.5% (they dont do a middle projection), plus we will have to pay roughly another 900/1000 to get us to January with bank payments etc. Sadly none of our friends have completed their mortgages recently so looking for any advice, My husband feels surrending it now and clearing of the 8000 shortfall is the best way to go, but part of me is worried that we may be throwing away the bonuses esp with only 3 months to go. Would be willing to go to a indp finance advisor but guessing (again) this will be a couple of hundred pounds. Any info will be mush appreciated.
Page 1
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 13th Sep 18, 1:38 PM
    • 95,739 Posts
    • 63,445 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 13th Sep 18, 1:38 PM
    • 13th Sep 18, 1:38 PM
    now im guessing there is no way we will get 6.5% (they dont do a middle projection)
    Possibly you could as the projection rate is not net of charges but gross of charges. This is why the figures dont add up (and why the 0.5% is showing a loss). So, deduct the charges and the fund itself has been growing better than that for the last few years.

but part of me is worried that we may be throwing away the bonuses esp with only 3 months to go.
    Final bonuses accrue as you go along. The main issue is if there is a surrender penalty or not. This can be worked out by comparing the current value plus final bonus accrued to date vs the surrender value.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • dcfc67
    • By dcfc67 13th Sep 18, 6:35 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    dcfc67
    • 13th Sep 18, 6:35 PM
    • 13th Sep 18, 6:35 PM
    Could you use a 0% credit card (s) for the 3 month period ?
    • italy21
    • By italy21 15th Sep 18, 12:29 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    italy21
    • 15th Sep 18, 12:29 AM
    • 15th Sep 18, 12:29 AM
    Bank are willing to extend loan, so not a problem. Going to hold on till maturity date.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

143Posts Today

1,476Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @laurawithers84: @MartinSLewis Our school is going to use your book for our new finance fortnight for year 8 students. We thought we wou?

• RT @katiejane13uk: ????????IMPORTANT - CALLING ALL LEASEHOLDERS TO COMPLETE???????? @mhclg Leasehold Reform Consultation closes this month. This is the?

• Just sent a text about postgrad loans. My Swype text auto-corrected it to pothead loans. Does it know something I don't?

• Follow Martin