Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Horizon81
    • By Horizon81 13th Sep 18, 11:56 AM
    • 1,548Posts
    • 895Thanks
    Horizon81
    "Buyers" who don't even have their house on the market
    • 13th Sep 18, 11:56 AM
    "Buyers" who don't even have their house on the market 13th Sep 18 at 11:56 AM
    My house is up for sale at the moment. I'm in a cold market if that makes any difference (the quiet North East England) but the house is priced fairly and there's been a handful of viewers in the first week. The agent have sent round a few different types of viewer, but the most common type is those whose house isn't even on the market (and they're not cash buyers either).

I did ask are these not just timewasters but the agent assured me for the sake of a 20 minute viewing it was worth letting them have a look round. Nothing ventured nothing gained and all that. Houses rarely come up for sale in my estate so the optimist in me is thinking I may be tempting viewers who hadn't necessarily thought about moving till now, hence theirs not being on the market.

Nevertheless the pessimist in me just thinks timewasters. I certainly don't want to cut off my nose to spite my face but at the same time, how can a buyer be even semi committed to moving if their house isn't even on the market? I've never sold before so don't know how normal this is. Should I refuse these types of viewers or just go with the flow?
Page 2
    • SeasideSally
    • By SeasideSally 13th Sep 18, 6:54 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    SeasideSally
    My husband and I both work from home, so the upheaval of viewings is a big thing. We know that we can't just drop everything and make ourselves scarce for viewings, especially if there are (fingers crossed) a lot of them. So, we decided to move out.

I don't personally care who comes around, as we won't be here. It's only when people start making offers (again, fingers crossed, big ones and quickly) that we'll vet them.

A person might be utterly unprepared, see our house and fall head over heels in love with it, rush off and put their house on the market, sell overnight, make an offer on our place, and hey presto we're off. You never know.
    • Horizon81
    • By Horizon81 13th Sep 18, 7:57 PM
    • 1,548 Posts
    • 895 Thanks
    Horizon81
    I live in semi-rural North East and do on occasion check what's for sale. If something came up perfect for me in an estate I like I would go view without a doubt, despite not having mine up for sale. I would never view for the sake of it - would I be a "time waster"?
    Originally posted by armchaireconomist
    Don't be so sure that all sellers would even afford you a viewing. Some definitely wouldn't. On the face of it, yes you could be considered a timewaster. You're taking your harmless internet checking to the next level by arranging a viewing while you still have property to sell that isn't even marketed*. Nevertheless, if your finances are in order i.e. you have enough financial margin/borrowing power/desire to borrow that means that the exact price you achieve for selling your existing house isn't crucial, then that's more of an attractive proposition. But of course if the house is so attractive to tempt you (in a position of not even on the market), then there's a strong possibility a buyer in a better position also feels the same.

The problem for sellers is that it's nigh on impossible to discern those viewers who are keen to buy but havent advertised their house as they want something very specific, against those who aren't really sure about moving, are just testing the waters, having a speculative look about.

* Handy list of terms here:
    https://www.theadvisory.co.uk/house-selling/buying-selling-houses/
    • Clutterfree
    • By Clutterfree 13th Sep 18, 9:36 PM
    • 3,521 Posts
    • 19,118 Thanks
    Clutterfree
    We had no intention of moving but saw a house we liked online (we wanted a period property that was habitable but needed work), went to view, loved it and then put ours on the market. Lived here two years now.
    If the vendor had thought we were timewasters we wouldn't be living here.
    Yes you do get the odd nosey parker but if you class everyone who isn't marketing their house as a timewasters you could be missing out on a future purchaser.
    Ageing is a privilege not everyone gets
    • oystercatcher
    • By oystercatcher 13th Sep 18, 9:45 PM
    • 1,730 Posts
    • 4,394 Thanks
    oystercatcher
    Well I have been a 'time waster' . Not on the market but just liked the look of a property nearby . Looked around it , fell in love. Put ours on the market priced to sell and it went pretty quickly and the whole move went through really smoothly.

Same thing to the people who used to live next door to us , they wanted a bungalow but there weren't many in their price range so when one came up locally they looked, loved and amazingly the owner agreed a price and took it off the market. So neighbour put theirs up for sale and it sold within 3 days for exactly what they hoped for and the whole move went through really smoothly.

With both these moves we were only looking to move to a certain type of property which didn't come up very often so if we had put ours up for sale first there may have been nothing to move to and the chain would have fallen apart , So if we hadn't been able to view due to 'wasting peoples time' then the move would never have taken place !

As for all the 'not being ready , knickers on the floor twaddle' for goodness sake grow up! If you're trying to sell your house then live tidily and clear up as you go so the place is always ready to be looked at !

That being said the first sale mentioned above was sold to the couple who came and looked at the house when it was an absolute bomb site as I had a friend come around in tears in desperate need of a cuppa and a chat so instead of spending two hours sorting the place out, her child and my three (all aged under 6 years!) ran riot while I sat and listened and managed to bundle her out just before the viewing!! The couple who looked round loved the place and they DID have a sale agreed luckily !!
    • YoungBlueEyes
    • By YoungBlueEyes 14th Sep 18, 12:13 AM
    • 384 Posts
    • 426 Thanks
    YoungBlueEyes
    I agree with trailingspouse and oystercatcher, you keep your house tidy so it's not a bother if someone (anyone) wants to view.

When this place was on the market it was my full time job. Before the EA came round to take photos I spent 3 days doing a full clean, and I don't mean knickers on the floor or yesterday's washing up type nonsense. I washed everything that I physically could. I hired a Rug Doctor and did all the carpets and rugs. I washed every wall with hot soapy water. I cleared out/gave away/stored with neighbours about 80% of our stuff. Then daily it was just a normal top-to-bottom clean and tidy, twice a day if necessary. And then we lived like that til we found a buyer, because things can go wrong, and I didn't relish having to do it all again from scratch due to laziness and letting it go.

We accepted all viewings, even doing a few myself (which I didn't particularly want to do but it wasn't as bad as I feared!). AFAIK we didn't have any that weren't proceedable, ("having a lend" - haven't heard that for years ) but we never asked. We just trusted the EA and it's come good in the end

Fingers crossed it does for you too.
    I don't make the same mistake twice. I like to make it 5 or 6 times, you know, just to be sure.
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 14th Sep 18, 1:02 AM
    • 1,232 Posts
    • 1,371 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    We gave up turning our house into a show home every time a viewing was arranged and only made a special effort for those we knew were in a favourable position to buy. We figured that if a viewer wasn't even on the market then once they WERE in a position to buy, they'd be back for another viewing maybe months down the line anyway by which time they would be on our "show home" list.
    • KazJenn
    • By KazJenn 14th Sep 18, 5:58 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    KazJenn
    I totally see your point but if you loved the house so much, then I imagine other potential buyers would do too... and if theirs is under offer or at least on the market then you risk losing out for your procrastination (unless your existing house is so amazing you know it will sell immediately).
    I agree that it was a crappy plan and one I wouldn't recommend! Our house did sell within a week of being on the market but due to the vendors daughter having a panic about paying the care home fees. She had suddenly reduced the asking price by 30k a day or so before our house was put on the market which attracted a cash buyer. The cash buyer actually had no substance and the sale collapsed within the first 2-3wks but that's beside the point. We were indeed at a disadvantage due to not being ready.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 14th Sep 18, 7:01 AM
    • 26,139 Posts
    • 94,874 Thanks
    Davesnave
    There's no such thing as a timewaster test, so it's pointless worrying about it.

We're sitting pretty now, thanks to 'timewasters' who weren't on the market. They viewed, said nothing and came back later, fully proceedable.

If certain other people had followed through with their purchase in the intervening period, we might have bought something else. Those were the real timewasters. We love 'em!
    I might be old, but I got to see a lot of good bands...
    • BrassicWoman
    • By BrassicWoman 14th Sep 18, 7:22 AM
    • 1,751 Posts
    • 7,131 Thanks
    BrassicWoman
    I wanted a ground floor flat on a specific estate. They don't come up often but they take a while to sell. I was selling a 4 bed family home on the same estate and they sell in a few weeks.

I viewed, was sold within 4 weeks, and bought the flat.

So. It depends.
    Jan 18 grocery challenge £105.13/ £150
    • RedFraggle
    • By RedFraggle 14th Sep 18, 8:32 AM
    • 734 Posts
    • 2,035 Thanks
    RedFraggle
    We were that viewer last year. We liked it, got ours on the market within the week and sold it in 36 hours. I am sat in the house we viewed when ours wasn't on the market.
    Officially in a clique of idiots
    • mr auspicious
    • By mr auspicious 14th Sep 18, 9:00 AM
    • 34 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    mr auspicious
    We are selling to people who weren’t on the market 5 months ago when they viewed our house. We had over 30 viewings and dropped the price. The way the market is in North London at the moment selling a house is a long game. It’s likely to become even more so until things have settled down after Brexit. I don’t think if you’re selling you can afford to be fussy at the moment
    • Niv
    • By Niv 14th Sep 18, 9:06 AM
    • 1,663 Posts
    • 1,444 Thanks
    Niv
    I was in a position where I was only going to move fro the right house. I didn't 'need' to move but 'wanted' to if the right place cane along. I viewed a house before putting mine on the market and ended up buying it shortly afterwards.

I really wouldn't get worked up about 'timewasters'. You will always get a few proper timewasters - i had a neighbour from four doors down view 'for a friend' yea right, but i didn't stop them !
    YNWA

Target: Mortgage free by 58.
    • Bossypants
    • By Bossypants 14th Sep 18, 11:34 AM
    • 573 Posts
    • 1,109 Thanks
    Bossypants
    I have to say, I've never been tempted to go to the trouble of looking at Rightmove, let alone making an EA appointment, if some part of me wasn't thinking about moving. In my present case, I was vaguely thinking about it for next year and scheduled a couple of viewings just to get a sense of what I might be able to get for my money, but wasn't really planning on making a move until spring at the earliest. Unexpectedly fell in love with the property that looked the least interesting based on Rightmove, which I had only really booked because I needed to fill a couple of hours between viewings, and am now on the market and keen to move.
    • NicNicP
    • By NicNicP 15th Sep 18, 8:33 PM
    • 235 Posts
    • 133 Thanks
    NicNicP
    We had no intention of moving as we wanted a certain area. Saw a house down the road go on the market and decided to view it. We made arrangements to put ours on the market and went for a second viewing just before ours went up for sale. We sold our house within 24 hours and went onto buy a the house. On paper we would’ve been classed as ‘time wasters’ yet my view is that putting our house on the market just to buy our now home shows how serious we were.
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 15th Sep 18, 8:42 PM
    • 4,007 Posts
    • 10,128 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    When we viewed the house that we're currently living in, we had intended to move the following year but as the house was such a bargain we a) met the asking price & b) out our house on the market straight away.

It suited us & the vendors as they were moving into a new build so having someone who was happy to wait 6 months suited them.
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 15th Sep 18, 8:45 PM
    • 6,519 Posts
    • 2,440 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    The property market is so messed up just now that most people will be staying put for the foreseeable, if not the rest of their life. The only thing that will get transactions moving now is a good ol` property price correction, and a big one at that
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 15th Sep 18, 10:35 PM
    • 4,007 Posts
    • 10,128 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    The property market is so messed up just now that most people will be staying put for the foreseeable, if not the rest of their life. The only thing that will get transactions moving now is a good ol` property price correction, and a big one at that
    Originally posted by Crashy Time
    In fairness Crashy, I have decent neighbours in a relative decent area near to a place that I work.

Why should I move ?
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
    • Flugelhorn
    • By Flugelhorn 16th Sep 18, 9:04 AM
    • 963 Posts
    • 1,145 Thanks
    Flugelhorn
    The agent have sent round a few different types of viewer, but the most common type is those whose house isn't even on the market (and they're not cash buyers either).
    Originally posted by Horizon81
    How do you know they aren't cash buyers? I am looking for a property but now get vague when asked about "position we are in" - mentioned to one Agent that I was a cash buyer and got streams of phone calls about properties all over the place (well meant I think .. )
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 16th Sep 18, 10:01 AM
    • 10,604 Posts
    • 12,136 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    How do you know they aren't cash buyers? I am looking for a property but now get vague when asked about "position we are in" - mentioned to one Agent that I was a cash buyer and got streams of phone calls about properties all over the place (well meant I think .. )
    Originally posted by Flugelhorn
    Why do you get vague? That's not doing you any favours with prospective sellers. Be firmer with the EA though it coudl equally be argued you are potentially missing out some gems for the sake of a few phone calls.
    Irrespective the small chance that someone who hasn't sold their house will both fall in love with mine so much they immediately put theirs up for sale and manage to sell it rapidly, when I sell this place I'll be instructing the EA to filter out people who really aren't bothered enough about moving to have made steps to market theirs, And if they really are cash buyers I'd expect them to be very clear about it, some people misuse the term cash buyer to mean they won't need a mortgage once they've sold their house.
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 16th Sep 18, 10:22 AM
    • 3,991 Posts
    • 6,865 Thanks
    Fosterdog
    We only bought our first house two year ago so haven't yet been in a position where we would even consider selling, this is most likely going to be our forever home, we love the house, love the location, get on great with the neighbours, and have family close by. We have no reason at all to want to leave.

However there are a few rather nice houses in our village that if they ever went on the market we would seriously consider selling ours and moving, we know the maximum we could afford and would even sell our current house at a loss (for a quick sale) to be able to get one of them if one went on the market in the right price range. Of course we wouldn't just market our home on the off chance one came up for sale so we would instead be the ones who would want a viewing to make sure we do really want the house before marketing ours.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

23Posts Today

3,285Users online

Martin's Twitter