Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ripplyuk
    • By ripplyuk 13th Sep 18, 10:54 AM
    • 1,781Posts
    • 1,647Thanks
    ripplyuk
    Post surgery bras
    • 13th Sep 18, 10:54 AM
    Post surgery bras 13th Sep 18 at 10:54 AM
    Iím on the waiting list for breast surgery. I donít know when it will be but itís listed as urgent so hopefully not too long. Iím having trouble finding bras for after. I donít know what size I will be after the surgery but I know I will be very small and probably not symmetrical. I did ask my surgeon but he just said Ďget something supportive, maybe a crop topí. I donít think a crop top would be very supportive! He said compression is really important so I had a look online and found one by macom but they are very expensive. Iíll pay that if itís best but I was wondering if anyone could recommend anything cheaper that would be suitable. Or which brands are good etc.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Page 1
    • Ames
    • By Ames 13th Sep 18, 12:13 PM
    • 17,692 Posts
    • 31,269 Thanks
    Ames
    • 13th Sep 18, 12:13 PM
    • 13th Sep 18, 12:13 PM
    Asda do a range of post surgery bras. I wear their regular bras and find the quality is fine, and prices low.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
    • Beenie
    • By Beenie 13th Sep 18, 12:29 PM
    • 1,310 Posts
    • 1,311 Thanks
    Beenie
    • 13th Sep 18, 12:29 PM
    • 13th Sep 18, 12:29 PM
    i bought bras from a company called Anita. they were expensive but very comfortable.
    • phryne
    • By phryne 13th Sep 18, 5:30 PM
    • 444 Posts
    • 726 Thanks
    phryne
    • 13th Sep 18, 5:30 PM
    • 13th Sep 18, 5:30 PM
    Sloggi 100% cotton double comfort tops are quite supportive, and very comfortable and they're perfectly fine if one breast is slightly larger/smaller than the other. They pull on over your head rather than doing up at the back (just in case this might be an issue post op?) and they cost about £12 each.
    • ripplyuk
    • By ripplyuk 13th Sep 18, 7:21 PM
    • 1,781 Posts
    • 1,647 Thanks
    ripplyuk
    • 13th Sep 18, 7:21 PM
    • 13th Sep 18, 7:21 PM
    They pull on over your head rather than doing up at the back (just in case this might be an issue post op?) and they cost about £12 each.
    Originally posted by phryne
    The sloggi ones do look comfortable but unfortunately the surgeon says I wonít be able to lift my arms up for a while. I think Iíd struggle to get that type on.
    • Beenie
    • By Beenie 13th Sep 18, 9:02 PM
    • 1,310 Posts
    • 1,311 Thanks
    Beenie
    • 13th Sep 18, 9:02 PM
    • 13th Sep 18, 9:02 PM
    sloggi crop-tops are great after you have got over the surgery, but you need proper support in the meantime. M&S do a range of post-surgery bras, I haven't used them myself as I was happy with the Anita brand (about £30-35).

Something else I can recommend is Aquaphor cream, to rub over the scars. It helps them to settle 'flat' and not be as prominent. My surgeon was impressed, asked me what I'd used and said he would tell his patients about it.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 14th Sep 18, 7:11 AM
    • 17,077 Posts
    • 47,165 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    • 14th Sep 18, 7:11 AM
    • 14th Sep 18, 7:11 AM
    I've only just realised there is now a concept of "bralettes".

I was looking for bras that aren't underwired and aren't ugly and there are "bralettes" on sale. I've subsequently looked them up on the Marks & Spencers website and thought "I wondered what that was about - when I spotted garments that were bra shape and had lacy bits underneath the cup part".

I wonder if they'd be suitable for you?
    Never doubt that a small group of people can change the world.

It's the only thing that ever has.
    • ripplyuk
    • By ripplyuk 14th Sep 18, 7:56 AM
    • 1,781 Posts
    • 1,647 Thanks
    ripplyuk
    • 14th Sep 18, 7:56 AM
    • 14th Sep 18, 7:56 AM
    I've only just realised there is now a concept of "bralettes".

I wonder if they'd be suitable for you?
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    They all seem to be pull-on too. Theyíre pretty but they look a bit flimsy and not very supportive.
    • sn1987a
    • By sn1987a 14th Sep 18, 6:15 PM
    • 388 Posts
    • 429 Thanks
    sn1987a
    • 14th Sep 18, 6:15 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 6:15 PM
    M&s have post surgery bras
    • phryne
    • By phryne 14th Sep 18, 6:26 PM
    • 444 Posts
    • 726 Thanks
    phryne
    Just another thought, maybe a support bra hidden in a vest? I usually step into them rather than pull them on over my head.

https://www.marksandspencer.com/l/lingerie/vests-and-camisoles/secret-support-vests-n-c0xnv
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 15th Sep 18, 10:21 PM
    • 6,720 Posts
    • 12,175 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    Not breast surgery but after pacemaker surgery and open heart surgery I was told to wear an industrial level sports bra. I am a G cup so it's bravissimo for me and the surgeon recommended going down a cup size to compress things temporarily.
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    (unless it's on offer and can get my loyalty points)
    • elsien
    • By elsien 15th Sep 18, 10:31 PM
    • 17,546 Posts
    • 44,352 Thanks
    elsien
    If you want a croptop style one which is quite supportive, have you considered a sports bra? For the smaller woman, the primark ones are cheap and do a reasonable job of keeping things in place.
    Alternatively if you want to pay a bit more, you can get high street ones in m&s, debenhams etc. or shock absorber ones are meant to be good.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

134Posts Today

1,363Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @laurawithers84: @MartinSLewis Our school is going to use your book for our new finance fortnight for year 8 students. We thought we wou?

• RT @katiejane13uk: ????????IMPORTANT - CALLING ALL LEASEHOLDERS TO COMPLETE???????? @mhclg Leasehold Reform Consultation closes this month. This is the?

• Just sent a text about postgrad loans. My Swype text auto-corrected it to pothead loans. Does it know something I don't?

• Follow Martin