Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jessica.
    • By Jessica. 13th Sep 18, 3:23 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Jessica.
    XS car insurance cancelled now owe £15,000
    • 13th Sep 18, 3:23 AM
    XS car insurance cancelled now owe £15,000 13th Sep 18 at 3:23 AM
    Im desperate for advice, stupidly went with XS car insurance, assured by them that with my excess being £3000 it wouldn’t ever exceed that amount as most accident are very small.
    So..... I had an accident, was in a traffic queue dordling at a snail pace. I literally tapped the car in front, i was a little angry as I had noticed the lady had no break lights.

The lady jumped out of her car and said the insurance was in her husbands name and that luckily a very close friend had a garage to spray the bumper
    I was so relieved as my excess is £3000

I never got an invoice then my car insurance is cancelled.

I was told by a debt collector today I owed £11,000. The lady put in for whip lash after doing a kart wheel out of the car “slight exaggeration” there was barely any damage yet I have been scammed!

I can’t eat, can’t sleep, can’t stop crying,I’ve never in my life ever owned anything over £5000, to think I may never be able to repay.
    I’m unable to work due to long term sickness, I receive £200 every two weeks.

I can’t get over that the car was repaired when I repeatedly asked for photos. Then I was told that because I hadn’t paid in full my policy was cancelled yet all the work was carried out without my knowledge. This is going to put me in an early grave.
    I’ve never felt so sick to my stomach

I wrote a formal letter to no avail. What the hell do i do next. Please please help with some advice.im desperate
    Last edited by Jessica.; 13-09-2018 at 3:25 AM. Reason: First paragraph repeated
Page 1
    • huckster
    • By huckster 13th Sep 18, 6:09 AM
    • 3,320 Posts
    • 1,445 Thanks
    huckster
    • 13th Sep 18, 6:09 AM
    • 13th Sep 18, 6:09 AM
    So you did not report the accident to the Insurers at the time of accident and they have therefore refused to deal with the claim ?

Can you tell us what correspondence you have had with the third party or their Insurers.

You might just be able to ignore the third party, let them take you to court and challenge them to prove their claim. Can they justify the claim and amount ?

As far as I know, claims for whiplash are now limited.

What debt collectors ?
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 13th Sep 18, 8:33 AM
    • 20,953 Posts
    • 16,735 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 13th Sep 18, 8:33 AM
    • 13th Sep 18, 8:33 AM
    Why was your insurance cancelled? And when, in relation to the dates of the accident and the subsequent claim?
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 13th Sep 18, 12:53 PM
    • 4,880 Posts
    • 3,114 Thanks
    csgohan4
    • 13th Sep 18, 12:53 PM
    • 13th Sep 18, 12:53 PM
    For future viewers, a dash cam would have helped the OP's case in terms of possible injuries and damages,

I would probably would never settled with the other party and go through the insurance to cover your own back. Nothing stopping the other driver from claiming back at a later date or keep asking for more money

In terms of the excess that is pretty high, but it was the OP's choice as probably the cheapest for them, though unrelated to this post
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 13th Sep 18, 2:03 PM
    • 5,437 Posts
    • 3,348 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    • 13th Sep 18, 2:03 PM
    • 13th Sep 18, 2:03 PM
    For future viewers, a dash cam would have helped the OP's case in terms of possible injuries and damages,

I would probably would never settled with the other party and go through the insurance to cover your own back. Nothing stopping the other driver from claiming back at a later date or keep asking for more money

In terms of the excess that is pretty high, but it was the OP's choice as probably the cheapest for them, though unrelated to this post
    Originally posted by csgohan4
    A dash cam showing you hit the car in front will just prove you hit someone, the insurer won't bother fighting a whiplash claim (symptoms don't always happen immediately) unless there is proof of crash for cash (e.g. deliberate dangerous braking)
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 13th Sep 18, 8:27 PM
    • 4,880 Posts
    • 3,114 Thanks
    csgohan4
    • 13th Sep 18, 8:27 PM
    • 13th Sep 18, 8:27 PM
    A dash cam showing you hit the car in front will just prove you hit someone, the insurer won't bother fighting a whiplash claim (symptoms don't always happen immediately) unless there is proof of crash for cash (e.g. deliberate dangerous braking)
    Originally posted by Nasqueron
    not a dash cam with GPS and speedometer, hitting someone at less than 5mph will be less serious than someone at 30mph
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"
    • rudekid48
    • By rudekid48 13th Sep 18, 9:20 PM
    • 2,102 Posts
    • 3,590 Thanks
    rudekid48
    • 13th Sep 18, 9:20 PM
    • 13th Sep 18, 9:20 PM
    not a dash cam with GPS and speedometer, hitting someone at less than 5mph will be less serious than someone at 30mph
    Dashcam GPS readings are very unreliable - most have "smoothing" algorithms built in to the way that speed is calculated meaning that most cams speed display will lag behind the real speed, which could actually work against you. For example, if you braked quickly from 30mph to 2mph and hit another car at 2mph, your cam will probably show the speed as between 15-20mph due to the lag. Not every cam is that bad but most do lag. try it with your own - set it up to video your speedo and accelerate then brake - you'll more than likely see quite a difference between the two..
    All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.
    • Jessica.
    • By Jessica. 13th Sep 18, 10:48 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jessica.
    • 13th Sep 18, 10:48 PM
    • 13th Sep 18, 10:48 PM
    I reported the accident to XS straight away. I wanted to settle privately as I new the repairs wouldn’t amount to maybe £500. But I was told under no circumstance could I do this

I wrote roughly 5 emails to this lady who worked there. I was fuming because they refused show me any proof of the repair, I smelt a rat when she had hired a car not just for one day but a whole week.
    So I told XS I wasn’t happy so I wrote a formal letter. Things just didn’t add up.
    I have kept all the correspondence which states her whip lash claim of which I made my feelings clear that no way had this lady hurt her neck as I was doing 5 mph.
    Everything went very quite, then I had an email to say my policy had been cancelled.
    I was in bits as I felt the accident wasn’t all my fault due to the car in front having no break lights.
    Each time I spoke to XS I got upset. Like no letter or email requesting the money. I had an Audi and I had minimal damage to mine

They are charging £15000 because they can. I’m an absolute wreck and worried I will get a knock at the door demanding they remove my car.
    I feel the I’ve been connedvvv

Appp zzz
    • huckster
    • By huckster 13th Sep 18, 11:59 PM
    • 3,320 Posts
    • 1,445 Thanks
    huckster
    • 13th Sep 18, 11:59 PM
    • 13th Sep 18, 11:59 PM
    You are not telling us the whole story here.

Insurers are not allowed to cancel an Insurance to avoid paying a claim, unless you have done something wrong e.g. Non disclosure, you have prejudiced the Insurers position by getting involved in matter of liability, when it was up to the Insurers to investigate.

What reason did the Insurers give for cancelling the Insurance ? If they have not stated a reason, get them to confirm this in writing.

The third party cannot recover a debt against you without a county court judgement against you.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
    • angrycrow
    • By angrycrow 14th Sep 18, 8:36 AM
    • 552 Posts
    • 400 Thanks
    angrycrow
    The first and biggest mistake was having a policy with excess direct but I think you have more than learnt that leason.

I do however feel your expectations for the third party repairs are unreasonable. Even if the bumper just needed a respray the reality is it would take at least 3 days for most body shops fitting around other work so 1 days hire was never realistic. If parts are needed the car has to be stripped and then is out of use until the parts arrive then a few days for paint and refitting. A week is a very reasonable time period.

The problem with excess direct is that they tend to add on the costs of their own handling when they cancel a policy and bill the customer.

Could you post the wording of the cancellation letter and we will see how best to advise you.
    • FlameCloud
    • By FlameCloud 14th Sep 18, 8:59 AM
    • 1,835 Posts
    • 889 Thanks
    FlameCloud
    I have kept all the correspondence which states her whip lash claim of which I made my feelings clear that no way had this lady hurt her neck as I was doing 5 mph.

I was in bits as I felt the accident wasnít all my fault due to the car in front having no break lights.
    Originally posted by Jessica.
    Do you have any medical experience of dealing with injuries? Have you been able to professionally examine the alleged injuries? If not, how can you say this? Your Insurers have likely recieved a report from a consultant to say she was injured.

The accident was your fault - you should be able to stop in the distance you can see is safe.

As others have intimated, you do not appear to be telling the whole story. XS direct are a unique insurer, but I've yet to hear of them just cancelling a policy simply due to a claim being presented.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 14th Sep 18, 10:17 AM
    • 5,437 Posts
    • 3,348 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    I'm not disputing that, what I am pointing out is that a dash cam that proves you ran into the back of the car in front will not result in the insurer fighting a damages / whiplash claim due to the expense. Yes it's a farce that a 5mph bump could result in an injury claim but there you go, pay say £5k or whatever or spend £10k on lawyers fighting over something almost impossible to disprove. Basic economics.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 14th Sep 18, 10:30 AM
    • 33,548 Posts
    • 39,647 Thanks
    Browntoa
    No brake lights = classic "crash for cash" in my mind
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 14th Sep 18, 12:05 PM
    • 5,437 Posts
    • 3,348 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    No brake lights = classic "crash for cash" in my mind
    Originally posted by Browntoa
    Little old lady and OP didn't pay attention, probably didn't brake just clutch control or OP wasn't paying attention and assumed she moved and didn't.

Disabling brake lights scam would typically be 3-4 guys in a van to maximise the claim
    • Jessica.
    • By Jessica. 15th Sep 18, 11:08 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jessica.
    Break lights
    The car infront had no break lights. Itís very hard to keep an eye on the car in front in the dark. It was raining and the tarmac obviously wet. So when I breaker my car skidded slightly. Having no break lights should not be a reason to blame me for an accident that I was clearly trying to do desperately avoid.
    For the whip lash!!! I myself have had 6 major operations so when I see a lady jump out of her car and then console me I question whip lash! She was a lovely lady and reassured me that she would get her friend to repair the paintwork! Iím gonna say this but whiplash in some circumstances seems to be the trend in a way of sucking money out of insurances! It was only the other day when I read an article.
    • Jessica.
    • By Jessica. 15th Sep 18, 11:10 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jessica.
    Little old lady
    Sorry Iím lost

Little old lady break light scam???
    • Zorillo
    • By Zorillo 16th Sep 18, 10:02 AM
    • 357 Posts
    • 215 Thanks
    Zorillo
    Yes, whiplash is a known way to scam money from insurers, that is beyond dispute.

You failed to keep a safe distance from the car in front of you and stop in time to avoid a collision. Your liability is also beyond dispute.

You haven't yet told us why your insurance was cancelled, which may be a much better avenue to explore than trying to avoid liability due to brake lights that may or may not have been working.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 16th Sep 18, 10:16 AM
    • 5,437 Posts
    • 3,348 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    Sorry but your story doesn't add up from a physics point of view.

You were in a queue of traffic going at a "snail's pace". The car in front may have moved and yet you were going at sufficient speed that you managed to skid into the car in front hitting at around 5mph? You must have been going at some whack to be able to accelerate up to sufficient speed to skid. Why did your car headlights not illuminate the car in front stopping? Were you not paying attention to the car itself rather than just looking for brake lights? Phone / adjusting radio / not looking ahead etc? Perhaps you didn't notice her brake lightly and stop?

You do not have to brake to slow down when crawling in traffic, going at a few mph you can easily control speed with clutch control and then apply the handbrake.

In reality you were too close, not paying enough attention and speeding up too quickly for the conditions. Your insurance paid out for the damage you caused, there is no scam.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 16th Sep 18, 10:40 AM
    • 5,214 Posts
    • 3,891 Thanks
    sheramber
    Forget the fact that you don't think you were at fault.

You agree to the insurance company handling your case and it is their decision.

What did your insurance company reply to all your emails and your letter?

Did they cancel the policy because of what you said to them?
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 16th Sep 18, 5:17 PM
    • 20,953 Posts
    • 16,735 Thanks
    agrinnall
    Your continued refusal to tell us why the insurance was cancelled and the inconsistencies in your story of what happened are starting to make me doubt the whole thing.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,834Posts Today

9,004Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin