Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • theheadshrinker
    • By theheadshrinker 13th Sep 18, 1:01 AM
    • 5Posts
    • 1Thanks
    theheadshrinker
    Sainsbury's Bank Credit Card - AVOID!!!
    • 13th Sep 18, 1:01 AM
    Sainsbury's Bank Credit Card - AVOID!!! 13th Sep 18 at 1:01 AM
    Hello,

If you are reading this before applying for a Sainsbury's Bank Credit Card, do yourself a favour and find an alternative to avoid entering into a whole world of pain.

Don't just take my word for it, read the reviews on Trustpilot, they seriously are as bad as their 0.5 out of 10 rating!!!

I have endured hours on the phone trying to speak to somebody to resolve endless mistakes by Sainsbury's Bank without success.

They have failed to take direct debit payments, miscalculated my minimum payments, my statements show random scheduled direct debit amounts (Not that they take any!!), and I've been charged late payment fees and interest. To top it off, they have sent multiple letters telling me that I am behind with my payments and that I need to contact them but they do not answer the phone. Their website is like something from the 1990's and is in no way user friendly.

I made a formal complain but only received automated replies before being referred to the Financial Ombudsman Service.

I find it hard to believe that they are still shown as the second best option for a no fee, 0% balance transfer card.

Sainsbury's should stick to selling milk and bread because they clearly do not have a clue what they are doing when it comes to finances!!!!
Page 1
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 13th Sep 18, 7:45 AM
    • 2,090 Posts
    • 1,174 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 13th Sep 18, 7:45 AM
    • 13th Sep 18, 7:45 AM
    Ignore trust pilot reviews - people only usually post rants and negativity rather than positive reviews to get it out their system

Many haven’t had issues with them and you’re just one of the unlucky ones as could happen with any other CC provider
    • PRAISETHESUN
    • By PRAISETHESUN 13th Sep 18, 9:37 AM
    • 277 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    PRAISETHESUN
    • 13th Sep 18, 9:37 AM
    • 13th Sep 18, 9:37 AM
    I find it hard to believe that they are still shown as the second best option for a no fee, 0% balance transfer card.
    Originally posted by theheadshrinker
    The cards recommended on MSE typically come with the caveat that they focus on rates, not service, and unfortunately you seems to have drawn the short straw in this instance. As with most online review sites, they are typically flooded with poor review as people want to vent when something goes wrong, but when everything works perfectly they see no reason to leave a good review - for every poor review, I would imagine that there is a substantial amount of people who have great service. I'm not trying to suggest that you haven't had a poor experience and don't have a right to complain, you just might be one of the unlucky few.

You've done the correct thing in making a formal written complaint - if they haven't responded by 8 weeks, then you can escalate it to the FOS. If you have set up a direct debit to make payments, and they are still contacting you about missed payments, you may be protected by the Direct Debit Guarantee (https://www.directdebit.co.uk/DirectDebitExplained/pages/directdebitguarantee.aspx) and they should refund any late payment fees, and remove the late payment markers from your credit files. This should all (eventually) get dealt with as part of your complaint, and you won't need to do anything separate to claim under this protection.
    • Terry Towelling
    • By Terry Towelling 13th Sep 18, 1:39 PM
    • 574 Posts
    • 485 Thanks
    Terry Towelling
    • 13th Sep 18, 1:39 PM
    • 13th Sep 18, 1:39 PM
    Who is it that actually provides Sainsbury's with its credit card servicing?
    • Potbellypig
    • By Potbellypig 13th Sep 18, 3:43 PM
    • 228 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    Potbellypig
    • 13th Sep 18, 3:43 PM
    • 13th Sep 18, 3:43 PM
    To play devils advocate. I have a small loan with Sainsbury's and I've never had any issue at all.
    • ceredigion
    • By ceredigion 13th Sep 18, 5:27 PM
    • 2,883 Posts
    • 3,926 Thanks
    ceredigion
    • 13th Sep 18, 5:27 PM
    • 13th Sep 18, 5:27 PM
    Who is it that actually provides Sainsbury's with its credit card servicing?
    Originally posted by Terry Towelling
    ? but
    "Sainsbury's took 100 per cent ownership of Sainsbury's Bank in January 2014."
    • tain
    • By tain 13th Sep 18, 6:11 PM
    • 553 Posts
    • 643 Thanks
    tain
    • 13th Sep 18, 6:11 PM
    • 13th Sep 18, 6:11 PM
    If everything is as clear cut as you say, and exactly as you say it, then you should have no trouble in getting this sorted through the Financial Ombudsman, if that's who they have referred you to.

I'd consider doing a request under the data protection act/GDPR for copies of everything they have on file of you, and a copy of all phone conversations, as you may need this to prove your points. If you asked them to do something, like setting up a direct debit, and they didn't do that, then having the phone conversation when that happened will be very pertinent.

Obviously, as long as what you're saying is accurate.
    • theheadshrinker
    • By theheadshrinker 14th Sep 18, 3:20 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    theheadshrinker
    • 14th Sep 18, 3:20 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 3:20 PM
    The cards recommended on MSE typically come with the caveat that they focus on rates, not service, and unfortunately you seems to have drawn the short straw in this instance. As with most online review sites, they are typically flooded with poor review as people want to vent when something goes wrong, but when everything works perfectly they see no reason to leave a good review - for every poor review, I would imagine that there is a substantial amount of people who have great service. I'm not trying to suggest that you haven't had a poor experience and don't have a right to complain, you just might be one of the unlucky few.

You've done the correct thing in making a formal written complaint - if they haven't responded by 8 weeks, then you can escalate it to the FOS. If you have set up a direct debit to make payments, and they are still contacting you about missed payments, you may be protected by the Direct Debit Guarantee and they should refund any late payment fees, and remove the late payment markers from your credit files. This should all (eventually) get dealt with as part of your complaint, and you won't need to do anything separate to claim under this protection.
    Originally posted by PRAISETHESUN
    I fully agree with your point about people being more likely to leave bad reviews and I appreciate that other credit card providers have various issues from time to time. I was just trying to warn others about the problems that many customers have experienced since the IT glitch that Sainsbury's had back in June when a lot of customer didn't receive their statements.

In hindsight I would much prefer a shorter 0% period or pay a small balance transfer fee instead spending hours trying to correct other peopleís mistakes. I fully understand that mistakes happen, it is the way they are dealt with that makes all the difference.

I have escalated my complaint to the FOS, it's just a shame that Sainsbury's made absolutely no attempt to resolve the issues themselves before referring me. Iíve never had any reason to contact the FOS before but it seems a very simple, straight forward process and they are dealing with it very efficiently.
    • broadmarsh
    • By broadmarsh 16th Sep 18, 11:02 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    broadmarsh
    • 16th Sep 18, 11:02 PM
    • 16th Sep 18, 11:02 PM
    Never had a problem with our Sainsbury's card. We have been using it for years. Everything goes on it and it is paid off fully by DD every month. Never had any mistakes whatsoever.
    • onlyfoolsandparking
    • By onlyfoolsandparking 16th Sep 18, 11:32 PM
    • 182 Posts
    • 172 Thanks
    onlyfoolsandparking
    Certainly makes me think twice I can do without late payment aggro etc so thanks for the post.
    The real meaning of life is the pursuit of happiness and avoidance of pain
    • 1974Stephen
    • By 1974Stephen 17th Sep 18, 12:13 AM
    • 27 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    1974Stephen
    Hi. Many thanks for sharing this. I looked at Sainsbury credit card just now. Looks rubbish. I don't shop there so Nectar bonuses don't appeal to me. I have an Asda one and you get (not very much really) points to spend in an Asda Supermarket. I just save them up till Christmastime.
    • GreasyPalms
    • By GreasyPalms 17th Sep 18, 6:49 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    GreasyPalms
    I normally pay mine by DD every month. Used my online account to increase the amount in August and was hit with a late fee because they hadn’t processed my DD. They didn’t respond to my online query/complaint other than automated responses and when I rang them they said my next DD was coming out in October and I’d have to make another manual payment for September or else I’d get another late fee! The lady did admit it was their fault and that she’d refund me and amend my credit file so I hope my next bill reflects this.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 17th Sep 18, 6:55 PM
    • 32,556 Posts
    • 20,486 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Ive a Sainsburys Credit card, had it for possibly a year ad its all good, no issues to report, DD's are taken on time.
    Cant fault it myself.
    • fs80uk
    • By fs80uk 19th Sep 18, 9:07 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    fs80uk
    I normally pay mine by DD every month. Used my online account to increase the amount in August and was hit with a late fee because they hadnít processed my DD. They didnít respond to my online query/complaint other than automated responses and when I rang them they said my next DD was coming out in October and Iíd have to make another manual payment for September or else Iíd get another late fee! The lady did admit it was their fault and that sheíd refund me and amend my credit file so I hope my next bill reflects this.
    Originally posted by GreasyPalms
    Same thing happened to me. They have promised to amend my credit card file as they did admit it was their fault over the phone, but that was after holding for over an hour to get through to someone. Internet banking is a joke also. I won't be using them again
    • AngieM2
    • By AngieM2 20th Sep 18, 8:31 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    AngieM2
    Agree. They are appalling.......

My interest free card was frauded in May taking me over my credit limit. I informed them immediately. They charged me an overlimit fee, interest and withdrew my long term interest free offer. They also credited 3 other transactions back to me that were not part of the fraud (never reported by me)

I have spent at least 7 hours in phonecalls, emails and letters to resolve this.

It now turns out that they have actually refunded the non-fraudulent transactions back to me twice and they want to take £700 from me immediately.......this would then take me over my credit limit again.

I have no words to explain how appalling they are and how stressful this is.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

288Posts Today

4,185Users online

Martin's Twitter