Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kris35
    • By Kris35 12th Sep 18, 11:14 PM
    • 66Posts
    • 15Thanks
    Kris35
    Watching pmq's today. Think Corbyn said many people on ESA will lose it?
    • 12th Sep 18, 11:14 PM
    Watching pmq's today. Think Corbyn said many people on ESA will lose it? 12th Sep 18 at 11:14 PM
    I only had half an eye on it but am sure he said something about people on ESA will lose it in the future under May? Does anyone know anything about this? Maybe I misheard
Page 1
    • venison
    • By venison 12th Sep 18, 11:28 PM
    • 2,341 Posts
    • 2,565 Thanks
    venison
    • 12th Sep 18, 11:28 PM
    • 12th Sep 18, 11:28 PM
    Haven't seen anything in the news to suggest this, but its doubtful that Mrs May has much of a future herself.
    Former Board Guide
    • Ames
    • By Ames 13th Sep 18, 12:32 AM
    • 17,548 Posts
    • 30,925 Thanks
    Ames
    • 13th Sep 18, 12:32 AM
    • 13th Sep 18, 12:32 AM
    I think he was talking about the move to UC.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 13th Sep 18, 6:54 AM
    • 411 Posts
    • 246 Thanks
    calcotti
    • 13th Sep 18, 6:54 AM
    • 13th Sep 18, 6:54 AM
    Everybody on legacy benefits will eventually be migrated to UC (under current plans). Doesnít mean they will lose benefits, depending on circumstances some will get slightly more money, others will lose but government is looking at transitional protection (after much lobbying).
    • huckster
    • By huckster 13th Sep 18, 7:07 AM
    • 3,320 Posts
    • 1,445 Thanks
    huckster
    • 13th Sep 18, 7:07 AM
    • 13th Sep 18, 7:07 AM
    Having just watched PMQ's, what Corbyn was asking about was the managed migration process.

Corbyn was stating that DWP will NOT transfer a claimant from ESA to UC as part of a DWP clerical process.

From what I understand Corbyn may be correct. ESA will write to claimants saying that their ESA claim will be closed from X date and that they must apply for UC online.

Corbyn says that this will leave many vulnerable claimants without benefits, as they may not have the capacity to react to the ESA letter and apply for UC online.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
    • venison
    • By venison 13th Sep 18, 10:04 PM
    • 2,341 Posts
    • 2,565 Thanks
    venison
    • 13th Sep 18, 10:04 PM
    • 13th Sep 18, 10:04 PM
    Everybody on legacy benefits will eventually be migrated to UC (under current plans). Doesnít mean they will lose benefits, depending on circumstances some will get slightly more money, others will lose but government is looking at transitional protection (after much lobbying).
    Originally posted by calcotti
    I thought that transitional relief had always been the plan from when they start managed migrations? which can be expected from 2019
    Former Board Guide
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 13th Sep 18, 11:09 PM
    • 411 Posts
    • 246 Thanks
    calcotti
    • 13th Sep 18, 11:09 PM
    • 13th Sep 18, 11:09 PM
    I thought that transitional relief had always been the plan from when they start managed migrations? which can be expected from 2019
    Originally posted by venison
    You may be right but I wasnít sure everything was covered, there was a lot of coverage recently abut the SDP but I havenít followed it too closely.
    • justaquestion
    • By justaquestion 13th Sep 18, 11:12 PM
    • 545 Posts
    • 101 Thanks
    justaquestion
    • 13th Sep 18, 11:12 PM
    • 13th Sep 18, 11:12 PM
    Having just watched PMQ's, what Corbyn was asking about was the managed migration process.

Corbyn was stating that DWP will NOT transfer a claimant from ESA to UC as part of a DWP clerical process.

From what I understand Corbyn may be correct. ESA will write to claimants saying that their ESA claim will be closed from X date and that they must apply for UC online.

Corbyn says that this will leave many vulnerable claimants without benefits, as they may not have the capacity to react to the ESA letter and apply for UC online.
    Originally posted by huckster

That is the meaning I took from it too, I suppose it all will boil down to saving money, I think he mentioned the word "support" in his question, so I took that to mean the support group of ESA.

But who knows, it could all be in the pipeline just like the way it was dropped in the budget a number of years ago, that ESA (cb) wrag was for 365 days only.
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 13th Sep 18, 11:22 PM
    • 411 Posts
    • 246 Thanks
    calcotti
    • 13th Sep 18, 11:22 PM
    • 13th Sep 18, 11:22 PM
    That is the meaning I took from it too, I suppose it all will boil down to saving money, I think he mentioned the word "support" in his question, so I took that to mean the support group of ESA.

But who knows, it could all be in the pipeline just like the way it was dropped in the budget a number of years ago, that ESA (cb) wrag was for 365 days only.
    Originally posted by justaquestion
    I donít think support refers to the Support Group. The concern is that the UC claim process is challenging for some claimants and can be harder to negotiate that legacy benefit claims. Vulnerable claimants need help (support) to ensure that they do transfer to UC and donít get Lost and forced in poverty.
    • venison
    • By venison 13th Sep 18, 11:28 PM
    • 2,341 Posts
    • 2,565 Thanks
    venison
    You may be right but I wasnít sure everything was covered, there was a lot of coverage recently abut the SDP but I havenít followed it too closely.
    Transitional relief should mean that your legacy benefit payments will not change when moved to UC, but neither will they be increased until they reach the level of UC.
    Former Board Guide
    • tomtom256
    • By tomtom256 14th Sep 18, 7:49 AM
    • 983 Posts
    • 1,771 Thanks
    tomtom256
    It's like the DLA to PIP case, there is no migration, you have to apply for UC when ESA, JSA or IS tell you or your benefits will cease.

There is no process to transfer data as the legacy systems cannot talk to the UC systems and vice versa.
    • huckster
    • By huckster 14th Sep 18, 8:00 AM
    • 3,320 Posts
    • 1,445 Thanks
    huckster
    I donít think support refers to the Support Group. The concern is that the UC claim process is challenging for some claimants and can be harder to negotiate that legacy benefit claims. Vulnerable claimants need help (support) to ensure that they do transfer to UC and donít get Lost and forced in poverty.
    Agree. Corbyn meant help for claimants to apply for UC.

The numbers who will need this help, will run into many hundreds of thousands. Many will not understand the process of applying for UC online and that their information may need to be verified at a Job Centre afterwards.

You will have a large number of people left without benefits, because they did not read letters Or have been slow to apply online.

The knock on effect, will be landlords not receiving rent on time and these claimants seeking help from councils, if they were previously on Housing Benefits.

It could be a mess, if they don't migrate people across slowly and make sure there is enough support provided by DWP, Councils, CAB etc.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
    • venison
    • By venison 14th Sep 18, 8:43 PM
    • 2,341 Posts
    • 2,565 Thanks
    venison
    https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guides/Universal-Credit-transitional-protection/What-is-Universal-Credit-transitional-protection
    Former Board Guide
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

956Posts Today

7,804Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin