Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JackieR2
    • By JackieR2 12th Sep 18, 10:33 PM
    • 15Posts
    • 1Thanks
    JackieR2
    Getting the paint off the outside of the house
    • 12th Sep 18, 10:33 PM
    Getting the paint off the outside of the house 12th Sep 18 at 10:33 PM
    This is a strange one, I always come here when I have a problem Im almost too embarased to ask of anyone in the real work.... Anyhow

I have been doing up my forever home, there will be no moves and I am staying here, thats it... so I want to get it perfevt in every word, its taken quite a bit of work.

I made a mistake, as petty as this may sound, I had some work done on the outside of the house (it needed re pointing) and it had previously been painted years and years ago. After the re pointing the builders re painted the house brick outside, they did a good job and it was part of the quote, I agreed to it.

I hate the newly painted brick, I think I just hate painted brick. The outside of the house looked better before to me, the old paint was dull and faded and I liked it more than the bright red horrible brick as it is now. Every time I walk up the driveway or see it I get annoyed.

Now as it was before it had been painted and you couldnt see the cement between the brick. I would like it in an ideal world to be just natural brick and cement, google "exterior brick wall" to see what I mean.

I bet after it had been repointed the cement would have been visible and looked great.

So - I have 3 questions:

1) Can the paint be removed and just leave nice brick and cement/a natural look
    2) Would waiting a year to let it crack and (hopefully) fade make it easier to do the above?
    3) Would it ever get weather beaten off on its own?
Page 1
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 12th Sep 18, 11:08 PM
    • 2,394 Posts
    • 3,182 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 12th Sep 18, 11:08 PM
    • 12th Sep 18, 11:08 PM
    I’d leave it to weather. That, and you will get used to it at the same time. It looks stark to you now but come back and tell us what you think in April. I’m sure it won’t seem so stark by then.
    • paddy's mum
    • By paddy's mum 13th Sep 18, 8:04 AM
    • 3,571 Posts
    • 12,861 Thanks
    paddy's mum
    • 13th Sep 18, 8:04 AM
    • 13th Sep 18, 8:04 AM
    Would changing the colour help?

You mention that it is currently red, which is going to be eye-catching. Would pale cream or a soft buttery yellow look better...?
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 13th Sep 18, 9:23 AM
    • 2,983 Posts
    • 2,052 Thanks
    Tom99
    • 13th Sep 18, 9:23 AM
    • 13th Sep 18, 9:23 AM
    It can be done but its not easy or cheap, plenty on google about how to do it e.g.

https://www.basildonstone.co.uk/remove-paint-from-brick/
    • macman
    • By macman 13th Sep 18, 10:40 AM
    • 42,781 Posts
    • 18,031 Thanks
    macman
    • 13th Sep 18, 10:40 AM
    • 13th Sep 18, 10:40 AM
    It's a nightmare to strip, and you'll never get it all off the pointing in particular.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 14th Sep 18, 7:58 AM
    • 26,611 Posts
    • 95,950 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 14th Sep 18, 7:58 AM
    • 14th Sep 18, 7:58 AM
    I'd just repaint in a more restful colour.

Colour makes a huge difference. We've entirely re-styled the front of our bungalow, making massive changes to the structure, but no one ever comments on that. The only thing they mention and enquire about is the colour!
    A garden is never so good as it will be next year....
    • armchaireconomist
    • By armchaireconomist 14th Sep 18, 9:39 AM
    • 341 Posts
    • 417 Thanks
    armchaireconomist
    • 14th Sep 18, 9:39 AM
    • 14th Sep 18, 9:39 AM
    Paint it a softer colour. You're looking at pressure washer/sand blasting to "remove" it, and how much of the surface gets damaged is anyones guess (you'll certainly need to re-do some pointing minimum)
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 14th Sep 18, 12:31 PM
    • 2,983 Posts
    • 2,052 Thanks
    Tom99
    • 14th Sep 18, 12:31 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 12:31 PM
    You can buy a trial pack of the paint remover for about 5. You could try a patch which included some pointing to see how it works.

https://www.stripperspaintremovers.com/

If you use google to search for this type of product be careful, you can get some unexpected results!
    Last edited by Tom99; 14-09-2018 at 2:49 PM.
    • bxboards
    • By bxboards 14th Sep 18, 1:52 PM
    • 1,611 Posts
    • 1,260 Thanks
    bxboards
    • 14th Sep 18, 1:52 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 1:52 PM
    I think you'll struggle. It'll come of the brickwork much easier than the pointing, you'll never end up going back to brick + mortar, at best you'll get 90% of it off, and it'll look like someone splashed paint on your wall with what is left.

I don't have any suggestions I'm afraid!
    • that
    • By that 15th Sep 18, 8:18 AM
    • 686 Posts
    • 379 Thanks
    that
    if you sand blast it or a similar method you may end up damaging the brick, and may become more porous?

Thought about cladding in brick effect, or brick effect tiles, or wall panels, or veneers?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,528Posts Today

8,074Users online

Martin's Twitter