Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lydriver
    • By lydriver 12th Sep 18, 9:41 PM
    • 255Posts
    • 32Thanks
    lydriver
    How long to set up Direct Debit?
    • 12th Sep 18, 9:41 PM
    How long to set up Direct Debit? 12th Sep 18 at 9:41 PM
    long story short....

applied and was accepted for a new credit card

set up Direct Debit on the 10th assuming it would be fine for the first payment due on the 28th and forgot about it....received a late payment for missing a payment on the 28th

admittedly I didn't read the email confirming the DD had been set up but after reading it does say...

You will receive confirmation on your statement when your Direct Debit has been successfully set up. As it can take up to 30 days to set up the Direct Debit, please continue to make your monthly payments to your credit card until then.

have I just overlooked this or is 30 days (18 in my case) ridiculous to set up a direct debit?
Page 1
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 12th Sep 18, 9:46 PM
    • 30,218 Posts
    • 18,110 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    • 12th Sep 18, 9:46 PM
    • 12th Sep 18, 9:46 PM
    The DD has to be set up BEFORE the statement is produced. It's the same with all cards.
    • BoGoF
    • By BoGoF 12th Sep 18, 9:47 PM
    • 3,460 Posts
    • 2,768 Thanks
    BoGoF
    • 12th Sep 18, 9:47 PM
    • 12th Sep 18, 9:47 PM
    Until you get a statement stating that your payment will be collected by DD then you should always pay by alternative method.
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 12th Sep 18, 9:51 PM
    • 3,300 Posts
    • 4,225 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    • 12th Sep 18, 9:51 PM
    • 12th Sep 18, 9:51 PM
    Confirmation of the DD being set up and the date it will take the funds is normally on the statement.

As it's a new card/first offence, I would give them a ring and explain your error - some are generous to refund the late payment fee first time when asked nicely.
    You don't say in your post but hopefully you've now made the payment manually too for this due date.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Energy, Student Money Saving, UK Armed Forces and
    Local Money Saving - Wales boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

It's not about being the best -
    It's about being better than you were yesterday.
    • Nebulous2
    • By Nebulous2 13th Sep 18, 4:45 AM
    • 2,009 Posts
    • 1,234 Thanks
    Nebulous2
    • 13th Sep 18, 4:45 AM
    • 13th Sep 18, 4:45 AM
    Pay quickly, apologise profusely, and they may well refund the fee and reinstate any promotional rates.

Fight about it and that is less likely.
    • PRAISETHESUN
    • By PRAISETHESUN 13th Sep 18, 9:24 AM
    • 264 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    PRAISETHESUN
    • 13th Sep 18, 9:24 AM
    • 13th Sep 18, 9:24 AM
    It's supposed to take 10 working days to set up a DD mandate, but it can take longer. For most credit cards the DD mandate will not be set up until after the first statement has been issued (ie. to take effect for payment for the second statement onwards). They typically mention this when you set up the initial DD mandate.

Pay the balance in full if you haven't already. If you talk to the provider and apologise, they may be lenient considering its the statement and refund the fees/reinstate any promotional rates, etc.
    • lydriver
    • By lydriver 15th Sep 18, 7:15 PM
    • 255 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    lydriver
    • 15th Sep 18, 7:15 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 7:15 PM
    ah well...an oversight on my part, if a DD was set up when applying for a card would that mean the 1st payment would definitely be by DD?
    I always set up a DD/recurring payment so things like this don't happen...I must have left it until after applying in this case
    Had other CC's and not had this happen..maybe just lucky with statement/transaction dates in the past?

will the 'late payment' show on any credit rating/score?
    • Willing2Learn
    • By Willing2Learn 15th Sep 18, 7:21 PM
    • 1,441 Posts
    • 1,092 Thanks
    Willing2Learn
    • 15th Sep 18, 7:21 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 7:21 PM
    Assuming you have now paid the amount due, I would ring them up, explain how you made the error with your DD, which led to the late payment. Be super polite, ask nicely, can they not mark your file with a late payment marker, that it's a one-off and won't happen again, then there is a chance they could agree not to do so.
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

• YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 15th Sep 18, 7:53 PM
    • 30,218 Posts
    • 18,110 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    • 15th Sep 18, 7:53 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 7:53 PM
    ah well...an oversight on my part, if a DD was set up when applying for a card would that mean the 1st payment would definitely be by DD?
    I always set up a DD/recurring payment so things like this don't happen...I must have left it until after applying in this case
    Had other CC's and not had this happen..maybe just lucky with statement/transaction dates in the past?
    Originally posted by lydriver
    You need to set up the DD at least 10 working days before the first statement date.

Personally I set mine up during the online application itself, or at the very latest during the activation call. However, since they stopped pushing PPI and card protection policies, many of the activation systems are now automated to the application approach is the best.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

569Posts Today

6,353Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin