Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Frth
    • By Frth 12th Sep 18, 8:46 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Frth
    No viewings in 6 weeks, drop price?
    • 12th Sep 18, 8:46 PM
    No viewings in 6 weeks, drop price? 12th Sep 18 at 8:46 PM
    How has been up for sale 6 weeks and we've had no interest at all. Not even a sniff.

Should we reduce the price now? Or wait a bit?
Page 2
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 15th Sep 18, 12:52 PM
    • 3,578 Posts
    • 9,595 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    Only post a link if you want pages of people critiquing paint colours and photography skills.

It's the price. If it's not the price, it's the price.
    Originally posted by Running Horse
    You're mad if you don't think marketing can make a difference.

It won't add thousands to the value, but it can get people in the door if the price is in the right ballpark.
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 15th Sep 18, 1:06 PM
    • 5,149 Posts
    • 3,276 Thanks
    csgohan4
    Only post a link if you want pages of people critiquing paint colours and photography skills.

Have to disagree, if the vendor/ EA aint bothered why should I? I usually set a budget and short list houses/flats based on floorplan, pictures and looks before calling viewings. It's more than just price. Would you view a house based on price without looking at the pictures?
    Last edited by csgohan4; 15-09-2018 at 4:33 PM.
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"
    • kinger101
    • By kinger101 15th Sep 18, 1:17 PM
    • 4,489 Posts
    • 6,228 Thanks
    kinger101

I partially agree. It's price more than 90% of the time, but we do get howlers. No floorplans, no room dimensions, photographs of skid-marked toilets.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 15th Sep 18, 1:22 PM
    • 64,922 Posts
    • 381,099 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Unless a house is absolutely where I know I want to be, looking like I want my house to look, in my budget.... if there's no floorplan then I'm a bit more disinterested.

I want to see/know the layout and what to expect BEFORE I hit the photos....
    • jonnygee2
    • By jonnygee2 15th Sep 18, 4:29 PM
    • 444 Posts
    • 443 Thanks
    jonnygee2
    I want to see/know the layout and what to expect BEFORE I hit the photos....
    I agree. Floorplan is by far the most important to me. From that I can tell how I can live in it. Photos just show the condition, which is relevant but rarely the deciding factor.

If it's a flat like this one is, I also really value a photo of the outside building.
    • Running Horse
    • By Running Horse 15th Sep 18, 7:10 PM
    • 10,567 Posts
    • 21,242 Thanks
    Running Horse
    You're mad if you don't think marketing can make a difference.

It won't add thousands to the value, but it can get people in the door if the price is in the right ballpark.
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel
    We had the worst Rightmove pics of all time, on a sunny day, it looked like they had been taken during a nuclear explosion. We are in our new home, while there are still houses up who were on the same time as us, holding out for an extra ten grand.

It's the price.
    I was present at wreath-laying but don't think I was involved.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 15th Sep 18, 7:15 PM
    • 6,800 Posts
    • 2,505 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    Glad to see that the advice on here is getting much more realistic than it used to be.
    • Running Horse
    • By Running Horse 15th Sep 18, 8:25 PM
    • 10,567 Posts
    • 21,242 Thanks
    Running Horse
    Glad to see that the advice on here is getting much more realistic than it used to be.
    Originally posted by Crashy Time
    You would be disappointed to know we ignored the first agent who wanted us to market it at what we thought it was worth. Went on for ten grand more and accepted ten less than asking price. We got the price we wanted and the buyer was happy to get ten grand off.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 15th Sep 18, 8:28 PM
    • 6,800 Posts
    • 2,505 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    You would be disappointed to know we ignored the first agent who wanted us to market it at what we thought it was worth. Went on for ten grand more and accepted ten less than asking price. We got the price we wanted and the buyer was happy to get ten grand off.

How long ago was this?
    • Running Horse
    • By Running Horse 16th Sep 18, 10:40 AM
    • 10,567 Posts
    • 21,242 Thanks
    Running Horse
    Moved in July. A slightly cheaper and bigger than average 3 bed family house in a popular area.
    Probably could have held out for a bit more, but we wanted to move in time for the new school year. Think those who haven't sold by now will be contemplating a very quiet winter.
    • big5
    • By big5 16th Sep 18, 11:09 AM
    • 358 Posts
    • 749 Thanks
    big5
    Think those who haven't sold by now will be contemplating a very quiet winter.
    Not necessarily. We moved 6 years ago and put our house on the market in September, accepted an offer on it that week, and found the house we wanted to buy in October. Not everyone wants to or is able to move in the summertime.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 17th Sep 18, 11:29 PM
    • 6,800 Posts
    • 2,505 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    Not necessarily. We moved 6 years ago and put our house on the market in September, accepted an offer on it that week, and found the house we wanted to buy in October. Not everyone wants to or is able to move in the summertime.
    Originally posted by big5

I agree, the "quiet in winter-time" thing is a myth, people are on their phones etc. 24/7 now looking at things they want to buy, including houses, the reason houses are not selling is because the biggest property bubble in history just popped
    • YoungBlueEyes
    • By YoungBlueEyes 17th Sep 18, 11:40 PM
    • 486 Posts
    • 655 Thanks
    YoungBlueEyes
    I agree with Crashy. Some people are always looking.

My old neighbour was one such. I invited her round for supper on Christmas day and she politely refused as she was busy doing other things. They turned out to be spending the afternoon listing her presents on ebay, buying more stuff in the early online sales, then spending the evening on RM "just in case".

I told her she was an apalling creature and she was gob-smacked! "What d'a mean you don't do it?! Practically everyone does these days!"

So it might quieten down in winter, but it doesn't stop completely.
    I don't make the same mistake twice. I like to make it 5 or 6 times, you know, just to be sure.

Look before you leap. No I mean really look. And take a friend so they can look too. Then leap. Maybe.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 18th Sep 18, 9:52 PM
    • 6,800 Posts
    • 2,505 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    I agree with Crashy. Some people are always looking.

My old neighbour was one such. I invited her round for supper on Christmas day and she politely refused as she was busy doing other things. They turned out to be spending the afternoon listing her presents on ebay, buying more stuff in the early online sales, then spending the evening on RM "just in case".

I told her she was an apalling creature and she was gob-smacked! "What d'a mean you don't do it?! Practically everyone does these days!"

So it might quieten down in winter, but it doesn't stop completely.
    Originally posted by YoungBlueEyes

Yep, people won`t trudge through snowdrifts just to have a nosey, but if they see a house they like I bet they will make an effort to view, if the price is right of course....
    • buggy_boy
    • By buggy_boy 18th Sep 18, 10:11 PM
    • 540 Posts
    • 402 Thanks
    buggy_boy
    I agree, the "quiet in winter-time" thing is a myth, people are on their phones etc. 24/7 now looking at things they want to buy, including houses, the reason houses are not selling is because the biggest property bubble in history just popped

All the sales stats must be wrong then? Spring is always the most active time. The number of houses on the market has not really changed much in the last few years... Sales volumes have been historically low but there are a lot less buyers and a lot less sellers, my experience is decent houses priced sensibly are still flying off the shelf, those houses that are not quite right for what ever reason (The tiny garden, or tiny 3rd bedroom etc) are not selling as easily as they have pre crash.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 18th Sep 18, 10:19 PM
    • 6,800 Posts
    • 2,505 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    https://www.zoopla.co.uk/discover/property-news/house-prices-fall-despite-spring-bounce/#CV4D7GWB5WtlJQEH.97
    • buggy_boy
    • By buggy_boy 18th Sep 18, 10:28 PM
    • 540 Posts
    • 402 Thanks
    buggy_boy

Old news.... But it still shows the spring bounce which is the number of houses sold not the value.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/house-prices-increase-as-buyers-return-to-market-9rwgqdsgj

But the slow spring has caused a increase later in the year.
    • davemorton
    • By davemorton 18th Sep 18, 10:54 PM
    • 26,876 Posts
    • 323,065 Thanks
    davemorton
    I agree. Floorplan is by far the most important to me. From that I can tell how I can live in it. Photos just show the condition, which is relevant but rarely the deciding factor.

If it's a flat like this one is, I also really value a photo of the outside building.
    Originally posted by jonnygee2
    In the area I live in, it is definitely not the norm for house listings on RM to have floor plans. I paid to get some done, but it is very rare to have them
    “Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?”
    Juvenal, The Sixteen Satires
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 19th Sep 18, 10:13 PM
    • 6,800 Posts
    • 2,505 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    All the sales stats must be wrong then? Spring is always the most active time. The number of houses on the market has not really changed much in the last few years... Sales volumes have been historically low but there are a lot less buyers and a lot less sellers, my experience is decent houses priced sensibly are still flying off the shelf, those houses that are not quite right for what ever reason (The tiny garden, or tiny 3rd bedroom etc) are not selling as easily as they have pre crash.
    Originally posted by buggy_boy

Most of the property in the UK is pretty unremarkable, which makes getting into decades of mortgage debt to buy it even more daft IMO.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 19th Sep 18, 10:30 PM
    • 11,408 Posts
    • 13,177 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    Most of the property in the UK is pretty unremarkable, which makes getting into decades of mortgage debt to buy it even more daft IMO.

Well,I'm now living in my very unremarkable home, mortgage paid off. No rent to pay.

Seems to me preferable to living in an unremarkable one with rent to pay for ever.

Like the woman next door paying £1400/month rent to live in a smaller house.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,459Posts Today

8,327Users online

Martin's Twitter