Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Naomi
    • By MSE Naomi 12th Sep 18, 6:32 PM
    • 71Posts
    • 18Thanks
    MSE Naomi
    New Barclays app feature to show your accounts with seven other banks - MSE News
    • 12th Sep 18, 6:32 PM
    New Barclays app feature to show your accounts with seven other banks - MSE News 12th Sep 18 at 6:32 PM
    Barclays has today launched a new feature on its mobile app that will enable all its customers to view their current accounts with seven other banks all in one place...
    Read the full story:
    'New Barclays app feature to show your accounts with seven other banks'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
Page 1
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 12th Sep 18, 8:06 PM
    • 1,665 Posts
    • 1,424 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    • 12th Sep 18, 8:06 PM
    • 12th Sep 18, 8:06 PM
    Well I must be psychic, cause I posted it a day earlier:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5893643
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
    • EarthBoy
    • By EarthBoy 12th Sep 18, 8:41 PM
    • 1,996 Posts
    • 1,328 Thanks
    EarthBoy
    • 12th Sep 18, 8:41 PM
    • 12th Sep 18, 8:41 PM
    Well I must be psychic, cause I posted it a day earlier:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5893643
    Originally posted by Shakin Steve
    The MSE forum admins don't like it when other people beat them to new stories. They nearly always start a new thread about something even if one is already going and has had lots of replies.
    • colsten
    • By colsten 12th Sep 18, 9:37 PM
    • 9,386 Posts
    • 8,324 Thanks
    colsten
    • 12th Sep 18, 9:37 PM
    Not much use to me as it only does some of the major banks. Nor Building Societies. I wonder how they decide who their target customers are and what the requirements of those customers are.
    • jonnygee2
    • By jonnygee2 12th Sep 18, 9:37 PM
    • 444 Posts
    • 444 Thanks
    jonnygee2
    I'd love to see ALL my accounts, including savings - in one app
    There are loads of apps that do this. Yolt is my favourite, but there's also Emma and Money Dashboard..
    • colsten
    • By colsten 12th Sep 18, 11:50 PM
    • 9,386 Posts
    • 8,324 Thanks
    colsten
    • 12th Sep 18, 11:50 PM
    • 12th Sep 18, 11:50 PM
    There are loads of apps that do this. Yolt is my favourite, but there's also Emma and Money Dashboard..
    Originally posted by jonnygee2
    All of the "loads of " apps that you listed I found rather useless so far. None of them covers all the accounts I need to monitor, every single one of them has some problem handling transfers between accounts, they take an eternity to obtain the most current data, and none of them shows a simple list with all the latest balances. These apps might be useful if you only have two or three accounts to monitor but if you have dozens of current, savings and investment accounts, you have to do all of the aggregation and analysis yourself.
    • jonnygee2
    • By jonnygee2 13th Sep 18, 12:13 AM
    • 444 Posts
    • 444 Thanks
    jonnygee2
    • 13th Sep 18, 12:13 AM
    • 13th Sep 18, 12:13 AM
    every single one of them has some problem handling transfers between accounts, they take an eternity to obtain the most current data
    not an expert, but I think that's actually problems with the API of your banks. The top nine UK banks have been forced to implement the open banking API, but some of them have not exactly put their all into it. That said, if you haven't tried it recently, there will have been huge improvements since January/February this year.

Outside of the main banks, APIs are optional. In these cases I think Yolt etc just literally page scrape the data off your banking portal, which is slow and inefficient. Monzo and starling both have very good APIs and the accounts on Yolt update nearly instantly. Barclays, or any other user of the Open Banking APIs, will not be able to speed the process up as far as I understand it.

Yolt has a list of current balances. Not sure about others.

if you have dozens of current, savings and investment accounts, you have to do all of the aggregation and analysis yourself.
    That's true, but I also guess if you manage your finances like this then you've made the decision to do the manual work anyway. There'll probably never me a sophisticated app for this, because it's hardly mainstream!

Personally, I have two current accounts (Monzo, Starling), a savings account (Halifax) and a credit card (Amex) and Yolt aggregates them all quite neatly.

Anyway, the point is, I bet that Yolt is still doing it better than Barclays :-)
    • GTR King
    • By GTR King 13th Sep 18, 1:50 PM
    • 838 Posts
    • 151 Thanks
    GTR King
    • 13th Sep 18, 1:50 PM
    • 13th Sep 18, 1:50 PM
    When will this go live?
    • starM
    • By starM 13th Sep 18, 2:19 PM
    • 1,394 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    starM
    • 13th Sep 18, 2:19 PM
    • 13th Sep 18, 2:19 PM
    Not available on my Barclays App?

When it will be available?
    • binaryuniverse
    • By binaryuniverse 14th Sep 18, 3:07 PM
    • 780 Posts
    • 490 Thanks
    binaryuniverse
    The MSE forum admins don't like it when other people beat them to new stories. They nearly always start a new thread about something even if one is already going and has had lots of replies.
    Originally posted by EarthBoy
    You do realise on article creation, the threads are created automatically, right?
    • Milarky
    • By Milarky 14th Sep 18, 4:20 PM
    • 6,278 Posts
    • 2,208 Thanks
    Milarky
    You do realise on article creation, the threads are created automatically, right?
    Originally posted by binaryuniverse
    If that's the case aren't they obliged as users in the same way to look to see if anyone has created a relevant posting before starting a new thread for themselves? (I suppose we could ask the mods to merger this thread with that of the OP's for consistency)
    .....under construction....
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 14th Sep 18, 7:40 PM
    • 9,362 Posts
    • 7,031 Thanks
    pmduk
    Things only exist once MSE has received a press release!
    • 18cc
    • By 18cc 15th Sep 18, 10:10 AM
    • 852 Posts
    • 572 Thanks
    18cc
    It has now come live on my Barclays app on Android I decided to test it out

so the first thing it does is give you a list of Banks and I chose Lloyds as I have an account there

you are then put through to Lloyds and have to sign in using your user ID password and 3 digits of your memorable information as normal

there were then a couple of terms of condition boxes to tick and then the Lloyds account appears on the Barclays app

if you touch the icon it shows you your Lloyds transactions in the same way as it shows your Barclays transactions

it was very hassle-free and seems to work perfectly
    • EarthBoy
    • By EarthBoy 15th Sep 18, 11:09 AM
    • 1,996 Posts
    • 1,328 Thanks
    EarthBoy
    Originally posted by jonnygee2
    And HSBC's Connected Money:

https://webforms.hsbc.co.uk/ConnectedMoney/
    • Josekadams
    • By Josekadams 16th Sep 18, 6:59 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Josekadams
    OK Thank you
    seo expert
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 16th Sep 18, 7:04 PM
    • 4,441 Posts
    • 6,401 Thanks
    Nick_C
    Only works on an iPhone currently
    • davethorp
    • By davethorp 16th Sep 18, 10:16 PM
    • 1,471 Posts
    • 1,080 Thanks
    davethorp
    Wow this is something entirely new and we must bow down to Barclays for their glory in introducing this

Or its a symptom of open banking which provides API access to your accounts and a number of other banks have beaten Barclays to the punch to implement

HSBC for one as another poster posted, Yorkshire Bank/B for another

• colsten
    • By colsten 17th Sep 18, 12:38 AM
    • 9,386 Posts
    • 8,324 Thanks
    colsten
    The concept is nothing new at all. I have used similar services for well over a decade. EggMoney was the first one who did it, First Direct has been doing it for donkey's years, too. Plus several other services. All of them do a lot more than 7 other banks. All that's new recently is a more modern technological approach to it, and more formal permission in the T&Cs.
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 17th Sep 18, 6:47 AM
    • 1,665 Posts
    • 1,424 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    The concept is nothing new at all. I have used similar services for well over a decade. EggMoney was the first one who did it, First Direct has been doing it for donkey's years, too. Plus several other services. All of them do a lot more than 7 other banks. All that's new recently is a more modern technological approach to it, and more formal permission in the T&Cs.
    Originally posted by colsten
    I think you may have missed the invisible sarcasm smiley.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
    • colsten
    • By colsten 17th Sep 18, 10:18 AM
    • 9,386 Posts
    • 8,324 Thanks
    colsten
    I think you may have missed the invisible sarcasm smiley.
    Originally posted by Shakin Steve
    Yeah I did indeed - - although I think it was worth mentioning that it's not some recent development but something that many of us benefitted from for over a decade.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,870Posts Today

7,728Users online

Martin's Twitter