Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Bartman1989
    • By Bartman1989 12th Sep 18, 5:51 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Bartman1989
    0 WOW
    Denied boarding
    • 12th Sep 18, 5:51 PM
    0 WOW
    Denied boarding 12th Sep 18 at 5:51 PM
    Hi, so. I’m new here, my names Anthony.

Long story short. May 5th we were heading to Ibiza for 11 nights. Me, my wife and 3 children, one of whom was an infant at the time. TUI are the firm in question.

5am we checked in and were told ‘your not going to Ibiza your going via palma. Bla bla replace,ent aircraft that is smaller’

We were the only family with kids that were bumped and was non voluntary. There was no reason we couldn’t have been on the original flight and someone else was bumped, it wasn’t cancelled, just a smaller plane.

I’ve been on and on since may and they keep fobbing me off with sorry about you delayed boarding, nothing we can do. We were denied and got shoved on another flight which was sat in palma airport for 1.5 hours before take off to Ibiza! Even the captain came and asked what was going on.

My final email yesterday was giving them 7 days notice before I take further action.

I know I am entitled to compensation just unsure how I go about getting this any further?
Page 1
    • comeandgo
    • By comeandgo 12th Sep 18, 6:16 PM
    • 2,247 Posts
    • 3,040 Thanks
    comeandgo
    • 12th Sep 18, 6:16 PM
    • 12th Sep 18, 6:16 PM
    How much later were you in landing from your original flight?
    • Bartman1989
    • By Bartman1989 12th Sep 18, 6:30 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Bartman1989
    • 12th Sep 18, 6:30 PM
    • 12th Sep 18, 6:30 PM
    A good 2 hours.
    • gardner1
    • By gardner1 12th Sep 18, 6:40 PM
    • 2,733 Posts
    • 4,029 Thanks
    gardner1
    • 12th Sep 18, 6:40 PM
    • 12th Sep 18, 6:40 PM
    I could be wrong but less than 3 hrs means nothing doing......also if you were last to check in on an overbooked flight means first off
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 12th Sep 18, 6:50 PM
    • 4,439 Posts
    • 6,389 Thanks
    Nick_C
    • 12th Sep 18, 6:50 PM
    • 12th Sep 18, 6:50 PM
    Regardless of the length of the delay, there is an absolute right to compensation if you were denied boarding because the flight was overbooked.
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 12th Sep 18, 6:56 PM
    • 8,248 Posts
    • 12,423 Thanks
    jackieblack
    • 12th Sep 18, 6:56 PM
    • 12th Sep 18, 6:56 PM
    9.3 DENIED BOARDING
    If we are unable to provide previously confirmed space, we shall provide compensation to those Passengers denied boarding in accordance with applicable law including, without limitation, EU Regulation 261/2004, or if more favourable to you, our denied boarding compensation policy.

https://www.tui.co.uk/destinations/info/flight-conditions-of-carriage#thomsonairways
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
    (Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi )
    • Bartman1989
    • By Bartman1989 12th Sep 18, 8:03 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Bartman1989
    • 12th Sep 18, 8:03 PM
    • 12th Sep 18, 8:03 PM
    I could be wrong but less than 3 hrs means nothing doing......also if you were last to check in on an overbooked flight means first off
    Originally posted by gardner1
    You are wrong. Your on about delayed boarding. Not denied
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 12th Sep 18, 8:08 PM
    • 3,203 Posts
    • 2,262 Thanks
    EssexExile
    • 12th Sep 18, 8:08 PM
    • 12th Sep 18, 8:08 PM
    Hi, so. I’m new here, my names Anthony.

Long story short. May 5th we were heading to Ibiza for 11 nights. Me, my wife and 3 children, one of whom was an infant at the time. TUI are the firm in question.

5am we checked in and were told ‘your not going to Ibiza your going via palma. Bla bla replace,ent aircraft that is smaller’

We were the only family with kids that were bumped and was non voluntary. There was no reason we couldn’t have been on the original flight and someone else was bumped, it wasn’t cancelled, just a smaller plane.

I’ve been on and on since may and they keep fobbing me off with sorry about you delayed boarding, nothing we can do. We were denied and got shoved on another flight which was sat in palma airport for 1.5 hours before take off to Ibiza! Even the captain came and asked what was going on.

My final email yesterday was giving them 7 days notice before I take further action.

I know I am entitled to compensation just unsure how I go about getting this any further?
    Originally posted by Bartman1989
    That's nice.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • gardner1
    • By gardner1 12th Sep 18, 8:23 PM
    • 2,733 Posts
    • 4,029 Thanks
    gardner1
    • 12th Sep 18, 8:23 PM
    • 12th Sep 18, 8:23 PM
    You are wrong. Your on about delayed boarding. Not denied
    Yes i know they are entitled to compensation......its not a good thing to check in last
    • budgetflyer
    • By budgetflyer 12th Sep 18, 8:40 PM
    • 5,750 Posts
    • 3,696 Thanks
    budgetflyer
    It is if a family of 5 gets 1000+ euro for a couple of hours late
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 12th Sep 18, 10:56 PM
    • 38,113 Posts
    • 160,271 Thanks
    silvercar
    There is no rule that says anyone travelling with kids are more protected than anyone else. On a practical level you had 4 seats, so shifting you frees up 4 seats, whereas shifting a couple only 2 seats.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 13th Sep 18, 6:00 PM
    • 5,431 Posts
    • 4,074 Thanks
    sheramber
    https://www.flightright.co.uk/your-rights/flight-rebooking

Checklist: Are you entitled to cash compensation?

You are only entitled to compensation for involuntary booking changes if all of these criteria are met:

Your arrival at your destination is delayed for more than 3 hours
    You checked in for your flight on time (generally 45 minutes before departure)
    Your flight booking was changed less than 6 years ago
    The airline is responsible for the change in booking
    Your flight takes off from an EU airport or you landed at an EU airport (airline is headquartered in the EU
    You did NOT book a free/reduced fare that is not available to the public
    You had a confirmed booking and ticket (incl. free/reduced tickets under customer loyalty/promotional programmes)
    Applies to passengers travelling independently/on package holidays, low-cost airlines, business travellers and children on paid tickets
    • Bartman1989
    • By Bartman1989 13th Sep 18, 8:07 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Bartman1989
    Denied boarding doesn't go on the length of time. Its if you volunteered of if you didn't. We did not.

I'm not interested in the facts about delayed boarding or denied boarding, I know my rights.

I'm asking what is the next course of action I can take having given them 7 days notice to respond..
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 14th Sep 18, 8:38 AM
    • 3,574 Posts
    • 2,272 Thanks
    jpsartre
    https://www.flightright.co.uk/your-rights/flight-rebooking

Checklist: Are you entitled to cash compensation?

You are only entitled to compensation for involuntary booking changes if all of these criteria are met:

Your arrival at your destination is delayed for more than 3 hours
    You checked in for your flight on time (generally 45 minutes before departure)
    Your flight booking was changed less than 6 years ago
    The airline is responsible for the change in booking
    Your flight takes off from an EU airport or you landed at an EU airport (airline is headquartered in the EU
    You did NOT book a free/reduced fare that is not available to the public
    You had a confirmed booking and ticket (incl. free/reduced tickets under customer loyalty/promotional programmes)
    Applies to passengers travelling independently/on package holidays, low-cost airlines, business travellers and children on paid tickets
    Originally posted by sheramber

That's not correct. Denied boarding is always compensatable although the compensation may be reduced in certain circumstances. It's been mentioned several times already, I don't know why some posters continue to insist on providing incorrect information.
    Last edited by jpsartre; 14-09-2018 at 8:45 AM.
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 14th Sep 18, 8:42 AM
    • 3,574 Posts
    • 2,272 Thanks
    jpsartre
    I'm asking what is the next course of action I can take having given them 7 days notice to respond..

It depends on who operated your flight and where you are a resident. You might be able to file a MCOL (money claim online). I'd recommend you post in the flight delay forum if you need advice on this.
    • blues
    • By blues 14th Sep 18, 3:52 PM
    • 190 Posts
    • 625 Thanks
    blues
    Why should someone else be bumped just because they don't have children? Strange logic.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 14th Sep 18, 4:49 PM
    • 4,439 Posts
    • 6,389 Thanks
    Nick_C
    Where a flight is overbooked, the airline is meant to first ask for volunteers to be offloaded (and usually offers generous compensation).

I suppose if they have overbooked by 4 pax and no one volunteers to be offloaded, it makes sense to offload a family of 4 instead of 2 couple. One unhappy customer rather than two.

Although I am surprised at a Low Cost Carrier overbooking at all. Overbooking only really works when you have a decent proportion of travellers on fully flexible tickets.
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 14th Sep 18, 5:13 PM
    • 19,888 Posts
    • 46,038 Thanks
    peachyprice
    Where a flight is overbooked, the airline is meant to first ask for volunteers to be offloaded (and usually offers generous compensation).

I suppose if they have overbooked by 4 pax and no one volunteers to be offloaded, it makes sense to offload a family of 4 instead of 2 couple. One unhappy customer rather than two.

Although I am surprised at a Low Cost Carrier overbooking at all. Overbooking only really works when you have a decent proportion of travellers on fully flexible tickets.
    Originally posted by Nick_C
    The flight wasn't over-booked, they had to use a smaller plane for some reason. OP hasn't said why, but most likely a technical issue with the original plane or a plane out of position.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,718Posts Today

9,696Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Major new guide... Brexit, what it means for you and your finances: M mortgages, savings, flights, consumer rights? https://t.co/SXCMG2qXwX

• Have you haggled on the high street in the last year? If so who with and did you succeed? Please vote in this week? https://t.co/fdzmmFfA4u

• Warning: Energy price comparisons are now WRONG due to the price cap - it needs fixing - my letter to Ofgem alerti? https://t.co/vE9IHyM58X

• Follow Martin