Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Callum
    • By MSE Callum 12th Sep 18, 5:28 PM
    • 389Posts
    • 140Thanks
    MSE Callum
    0 WOW
    Revealed: Passport applicants given shorter renewals after stealth rule change - MSE News
    • 12th Sep 18, 5:28 PM
    0 WOW
    Revealed: Passport applicants given shorter renewals after stealth rule change - MSE News 12th Sep 18 at 5:28 PM
    Travellers who are renewing their passports are now getting up to nine months' less validity after an under-the-radar change to Passport Office rules this week, MoneySavingExpert can reveal...
    Read the full story:
    'Revealed: Passport applicants given shorter renewals after stealth rule change'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
Page 3
    • Cheesy
    • By Cheesy 14th Sep 18, 9:14 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Cheesy
    That's rip off..
    My son's old passport's expiry date was May 2019 but as he would need it for travel in February requiring 6 months validity. I renewed 8 months early, now he has a new passport technically valid for 4 year, 4 months.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 15th Sep 18, 7:40 PM
    • 13,534 Posts
    • 11,492 Thanks
    zagfles
    Yes I am thinking this way too. I last renewed in June 2009 and my expiry date is March 2020. I had already gathered that I won't be able to use it beyond Sept 2019 but this suggests that I can't use it after June 2019 (exactly 10 years after the renewal) or is it even earlier after Dec 2018? I actually plan to do my renewal by December 2018 before the March 29th cutoff.
    Originally posted by katejo
    It looks like with no deal it won't be valid in the EU from March 2019, ie Brexit date. Before that we're on current rules, after that, we're a "third country" and as it was issued more than 9 years 6 months ago it won't be valid, according to the article linked above.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 16th Sep 18, 11:21 AM
    • 6,791 Posts
    • 19,676 Thanks
    Doc N
    Yet another unexpected consequence of Brexit?
    Originally posted by Doc N
    How? What on earth would this have to do with Brexit? If anything you'd have thought we'd have been forced stop this sooner as we're they only EU country to offer it.

You know, not everything little thing that happens in the UK is.
    Originally posted by peachyprice
    Presumably youíve picked up by now on the hard fact that this is a direct consequence of Brexit and the plans weíre having to make for a no-deal disorderly exit.

Donít believe what Brexit liars like Johnson, Gove and Farage tell you all the time, please.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 16th Sep 18, 2:38 PM
    • 3,922 Posts
    • 2,076 Thanks
    eDicky
    Donít believe what Brexit liars like Johnson, Gove and Farage tell you all the time, please.
    A bit late, sadly, damage is done...
    • George Michael
    • By George Michael 16th Sep 18, 5:45 PM
    • 3,218 Posts
    • 4,314 Thanks
    George Michael
    Presumably youíve picked up by now on the hard fact that this is a direct consequence of Brexit and the plans weíre having to make for a no-deal disorderly exit.
    However, there was still no requirement for the government to change the system of having up to 9 months added onto passports when renewed.
    All they needed to have done was to advertise the fact that anyone travelling on a passport that had been issued more than 10 years previously wouldn't be allowed entry into EU countries.
    After all, there are many countries that won't allow you in if your passport has less than 6 months validity on it yet the government don't make it a requirement that you must renew before this 6 month remaining period is reached.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 16th Sep 18, 6:42 PM
    • 6,791 Posts
    • 19,676 Thanks
    Doc N
    However, there was still no requirement for the government to change the system of having up to 9 months added onto passports when renewed.
    All they needed to have done was to advertise the fact that anyone travelling on a passport that had been issued more than 10 years previously wouldn't be allowed entry into EU countries.
    After all, there are many countries that won't allow you in if your passport has less than 6 months validity on it yet the government don't make it a requirement that you must renew before this 6 month remaining period is reached.
    Originally posted by George Michael
    The fact remains that none of this would have been necessary if we werenít leaving the EU. Itís yet another bad outcome to add to all the others Brexiteers try in vain to pretend arenít happening.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 16th Sep 18, 6:48 PM
    • 4,439 Posts
    • 6,393 Thanks
    Nick_C
    The fact remains that none of this would have been necessary if we werenít leaving the EU. Itís yet another bad outcome to add to all the others Brexiteers try in vain to pretend arenít happening.
    Bad outcome? Doesn't bother me in the slightest. Much ado about nothing.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 16th Sep 18, 7:47 PM
    • 10,417 Posts
    • 11,750 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    The fact remains that none of this would have been necessary if we weren’t leaving the EU. It’s yet another bad outcome to add to all the others Brexiteers try in vain to pretend aren’t happening.
    All it is doing is bringing the UK into line with just about every other country in the world when it comes to passport renewals.

I agree with Brexit completely and if amongst other things that will cost me money because of it I have to pay a little bit more for my passport, I'm more than happy to do so.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 16th Sep 18, 7:59 PM
    • 5,435 Posts
    • 4,081 Thanks
    sheramber
    There will be much more to be concerned about than 6 months on your passport.

In 9years 6 months time it may not be relevant to you.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 16th Sep 18, 8:09 PM
    • 6,791 Posts
    • 19,676 Thanks
    Doc N
    All it is doing is bringing the UK into line with just about every other country in the world when it comes to passport renewals.

I agree with Brexit completely and if amongst other things that will cost me money because of it I have to pay a little bit more for my passport, I'm more than happy to do so.
    Originally posted by shaun from Africa
    Every other country - you say - apart from the ones that matter most to us, and with which we do by far the greatest part of our trade.

Can you point to some tangible benefits (apart from all the lies) that will come from leaving? And apart from all the 'will of the people', 'taking back control' and 'keeping out immigrants' nonsense.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 16th Sep 18, 8:57 PM
    • 10,417 Posts
    • 11,750 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    Every other country - you say - apart from the ones that matter most to us, and with which we do by far the greatest part of our trade.

Can you point to some tangible benefits (apart from all the lies) that will come from leaving? And apart from all the 'will of the people', 'taking back control' and 'keeping out immigrants' nonsense.
    As far as I'm aware, (and I'll happily be corrected if wrong) no other country in Europe extends passports by up to 9 months when renewing.
    Why do you consider "taking back control" and "keeping out immigrants" to be nonsense?

I fully understand that there may well be a period (quite probably a long one) during which the UK economy suffers but I honestly believe that the country will weather this storm and come out of it in a better state then it currently is.

I think that the common market (EEC) was a good thing but since it has evolved into the EU it has IMO, become far too bloated with far too many very expensive departments governing it and making the decisions.
    • Jeronim00
    • By Jeronim00 17th Sep 18, 9:35 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Jeronim00
    Why don't we just tell these EU half-wits (Barnier, Juncker etc) that if they want to visit us, their passports must have been issued in the last nine years!
    Originally posted by david13

LOL, the 10-year rule is tighter for the USA and a lot of Asian countries. The EU aren't really all that fussed. Let's not forget that it is the UK which is choosing to change the nature of its status, not the other countries. Their rules are not changing. What is surprising however is that the UK gov is using this as an excuse to reduce the amount of time carried over, ultimately penalising its own citizens and trying to blame third parties. Or maybe it isn't.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 17th Sep 18, 6:35 PM
    • 13,534 Posts
    • 11,492 Thanks
    zagfles
    Originally posted by George Michael
    9 years 6 months apparently. Which means some passports might not be valid in the EU 1 year and 3 months before the expiry date. Given that most people travelling abroad from the UK probably go to the EU, it was probably a sensible move, as it's far less confusing to be told that your passport has to have 6 months validity left than it need to be 9 years and 6 months since issue.

But not very well handled in terms of timing and communication. We'll probably see that with other things which someone's only just realised...
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 17th Sep 18, 6:38 PM
    • 13,534 Posts
    • 11,492 Thanks
    zagfles

Cost of passport is trivial compared to cost to UK travellers of the plummet in the pound.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 17th Sep 18, 6:43 PM
    • 13,534 Posts
    • 11,492 Thanks
    zagfles
    As far as I'm aware, (and I'll happily be corrected if wrong) no other country in Europe extends passports by up to 9 months when renewing.
    Why do you consider "taking back control" and "keeping out immigrants" to be nonsense?
    Ah, so before Brexit, we got to do our own thing, unique in Europe, by extending passports up to 9 months. After Brexit, we have to fall in line with the rest of Europe and not extend.

Is that "taking back control"
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 17th Sep 18, 7:15 PM
    • 6,791 Posts
    • 19,676 Thanks
    Doc N
    Originally posted by zagfles
    I think the 'taking back control' mantra is primarily to do with that buffoon Johnson getting his incompetent, dangerous hands on the premiership.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 17th Sep 18, 7:18 PM
    • 10,417 Posts
    • 11,750 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    9 years 6 months apparently.
    Where did you get that from?
    The actual requirement in the Schengen border code clearly states that upon entry, the passport must have been issued in the previous 10 years.
    Entry conditions for third-country nationals

1. For intended stays on the territory of the Member States of a duration of no more than 90 days in any 180-day period, which entails considering the 180-day period preceding each day of stay, the entry conditions for third-country nationals shall be the following:

(a) they are in possession of a valid travel document entitling the holder to cross the border satisfying the following criteria:

it shall have been issued within the previous 10 years;
    Ah, so before Brexit, we got to do our own thing, unique in Europe, by extending passports up to 9 months. After Brexit, we have to fall in line with the rest of Europe and not extend.

I don't know if you've noticed, we haven't actually left the EU yet.

The UK government don't have to fall in line with any other government. They chose to do this so it has nothing whatsoever with taking control or not.
    Even if was an EU requirement, (which it isn't), what on earth would it have to do with taking back any control as this can only start happening once we have actually left.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 17th Sep 18, 7:54 PM
    • 13,534 Posts
    • 11,492 Thanks
    zagfles
    Where did you get that from?
    The MSE article:
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2018/09/free-eu-roaming-can-t-be-guaranteed-if-no-deal-brexit-/

In the event of NO deal... you may have to renew your passport early. After 29 March 2019, you'll need to renew your passport in advance if you plan to travel to certain EU countries and your passport will be older than nine years and six months on the date you plan to travel.
    I don't know if you've noticed, we haven't actually left the EU yet.
    I don't know if you've noticed, but these changes are preparation for Brexit!
    The UK government don't have to fall in line with any other government. They chose to do this so it has nothing whatsoever with taking control or not.

Even if was an EU requirement, (which it isn't), what on earth would it have to do with taking back any control as this can only start happening once we have actually left.
    Yeah, we'll have full control over what passports we issue. Problem is, passports aren't much use if they don't meet the criteria of foreign countries that people want to travel to. So unless there's a deal, we'll have less freedom with passports than we did before! Same with trade and loads of other stuff that involves co-operation with forriners. Like with passports - we'll likely end up with less control than we had before
    • nodiscount
    • By nodiscount 18th Sep 18, 8:51 PM
    • 568 Posts
    • 1,073 Thanks
    nodiscount
    Complaints Form Link
    Link to complain is here:

https://eforms.homeoffice.gov.uk/outreach/Passport_Enquiries.ofml

I and the public know, What all schoolchildren learn,
    Those to whom evil is done Do evil in return.
    W.H.Auden
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 18th Sep 18, 10:41 PM
    • 6,791 Posts
    • 19,676 Thanks
    Doc N
    Or complain to the real culprit:

boris.johnson.mp@parliament.uk
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,762Posts Today

8,776Users online

Martin's Twitter