Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Callum
    • By MSE Callum 12th Sep 18, 5:28 PM
    • 388Posts
    • 140Thanks
    MSE Callum
    0 WOW
    Revealed: Passport applicants given shorter renewals after stealth rule change - MSE News
    • 12th Sep 18, 5:28 PM
    0 WOW
    Revealed: Passport applicants given shorter renewals after stealth rule change - MSE News 12th Sep 18 at 5:28 PM
    Travellers who are renewing their passports are now getting up to nine months' less validity after an under-the-radar change to Passport Office rules this week, MoneySavingExpert can reveal...
    Read the full story:
    'Revealed: Passport applicants given shorter renewals after stealth rule change'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
Page 2
    • muhandis
    • By muhandis 13th Sep 18, 3:52 PM
    • 398 Posts
    • 157 Thanks
    muhandis
    Latest from MSE

"When we initially contacted the Home Office on Wednesday it refused to officially confirm there had been any change in policy, but documents released on Thursday explain the change has been made as part of preparations for the UK to leave the European Union. "
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 13th Sep 18, 4:30 PM
    • 6,791 Posts
    • 19,676 Thanks
    Doc N
    Latest from MSE

"When we initially contacted the Home Office on Wednesday it refused to officially confirm there had been any change in policy, but documents released on Thursday explain the change has been made as part of preparations for the UK to leave the European Union. "
    Originally posted by muhandis
    As expected then. Yet another unforeseen damaging outcome of Brexit, with the misguided gullible fools who voted for it still refusing to accept facts.

Remind you at all of whatís going on in the US?
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 13th Sep 18, 4:55 PM
    • 3,203 Posts
    • 2,262 Thanks
    EssexExile
    As expected then. Yet another unforeseen damaging outcome of Brexit, with the misguided gullible fools who voted for it still refusing to accept facts.
    Originally posted by Doc N
    Or just blaming Brexit because it's easier!
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 13th Sep 18, 5:16 PM
    • 4,439 Posts
    • 6,389 Thanks
    Nick_C
    Refusing to accept what facts?

Remind you at all of what’s going on in the US?
    The hurricane? No. Or the record low level of unemployment among Black Americans?
    • The Blacklist
    • By The Blacklist 13th Sep 18, 5:51 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    The Blacklist
    I am sure that if the UK wanted to increase the time limits of the passports to 11 years then this can be achieved.
    Hence, there would be no issue with the 10 year with the Schengen Border Code.
    I may be a cynical. However, could it be to punishing the people who voted for the Brexit?
    Blame the Brexit for all our ills.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 13th Sep 18, 6:01 PM
    • 13,534 Posts
    • 11,491 Thanks
    zagfles
    I am sure that if the UK wanted to increase the time limits of the passports to 11 years then this can be achieved.
    Hence, there would be no issue with the 10 year with the Schengen Border Code.
    Originally posted by The Blacklist
    The UK could issue 100 year passports if it wanted. But if other countries say the passport has to be issued in the last 10 years, then you won't get into those countries with a passport over 10 years old. Just like some countries won't let you in if your passport expires in less than 6 months.

I may be a cynical. However, could it be to punishing the people who voted for the Brexit?
    Blame the Brexit for all our ills.
    Yeah, that'll be it. Really, Brexit has no unforeseen bad consequences whatsoever. When any are pointed out, it's just people wanting to punish Brexit voters and blame them for everything. Really, it's true.
    • david13
    • By david13 13th Sep 18, 8:15 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    david13
    Why don't we just tell these EU half-wits (Barnier, Juncker etc) that if they want to visit us, their passports must have been issued in the last nine years!
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 13th Sep 18, 8:20 PM
    • 6,791 Posts
    • 19,676 Thanks
    Doc N
    Why don't we just tell these EU half-wits (Barnier, Juncker etc) that if they want to visit us, their passports must have been issued in the last nine years!
    Originally posted by david13
    Because, despite the garbage pushed out by papers like the Express to their elderly readers, the EU has all the power and we have none.

We are in no position to dictate terms, which is why despite the early claims of those liars Johnson, Gove and Co, we have no deal.

When are people going to wake up to the fact that this tiny failing island can't dictate terms to the rest of Europe?
    • The Blacklist
    • By The Blacklist 13th Sep 18, 8:51 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    The Blacklist
    It is for the UK to decide on what passport and border arrangements UK want and agree these if possible or accept what is on offer from whichever country.
    It is about time people realised that we live in a democracy; especially those who lost the Brexit vote.
    Personally, did not want Brexit, but majority, even a small one decided on Brexit.
    We made the choice.
    So like it or lump it.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 13th Sep 18, 10:47 PM
    • 13,534 Posts
    • 11,491 Thanks
    zagfles
    It is for the UK to decide on what passport and border arrangements UK want and agree these if possible or accept what is on offer from whichever country.
    Originally posted by The Blacklist
    It is for foreign countries to decide what their entry criteria are.
    It is about time people realised that we live in a democracy; especially those who lost the Brexit vote.
    Personally, did not want Brexit, but majority, even a small one decided on Brexit.
    We made the choice.
    So like it or lump it.
    Oh I see, that's what living "in a democracy" means does it? When the result doesn't go your way, you need to STFU and never mention any bad things that happen as a result of that democratic vote?

Better tell Labour supporters to STFU and stop criticising anything the Tories do, because they won the election. And obviously, should Corbyn win the next election, no Tories will point out the mess he makes of the economy, oh no, after all it's democracy and that means the winning side is immune from any criticism.

Have you told MSE to remove the article? It implies a bad thing happened as a result of a democratic vote. Can't have that, can we?
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 13th Sep 18, 10:50 PM
    • 13,534 Posts
    • 11,491 Thanks
    zagfles
    Originally posted by david13
    That'll have them quaking in their boots...
    • FredaJones
    • By FredaJones 14th Sep 18, 2:30 AM
    • 22 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    FredaJones
    Surely, as we are not of Schengen, we are already a "third party" even if we are member of the EU.

Just saying.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 14th Sep 18, 8:27 AM
    • 13,534 Posts
    • 11,491 Thanks
    zagfles
    Surely, as we are not of Schengen, we are already a "third party" even if we are member of the EU.

Just saying.
    Originally posted by FredaJones
    "Third country" means a country not in the EU. The Schengen area has different rules for EU countries outside Schengen than it does for non-EU countries outside Schengen.

Which the MSE article made quite clear. Just saying

Being 'third country nationals' means we will need to comply with different rules to enter and travel around the Schengen area, than we do now, as members of the European Union.
    Last edited by zagfles; 14-09-2018 at 8:32 AM.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 14th Sep 18, 8:45 AM
    • 4,439 Posts
    • 6,389 Thanks
    Nick_C
    "Third country" means a country not in the EU. The Schengen area has different rules for EU countries outside Schengen than it does for non-EU countries outside Schengen.

Which the MSE article made quite clear. Just saying
    Originally posted by zagfles
    I've just re read the (updated) MSE article. It doesn't define what a "third Country" is.

Just saying.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 14th Sep 18, 8:59 AM
    • 13,534 Posts
    • 11,491 Thanks
    zagfles
    I've just re read the (updated) MSE article. It doesn't define what a "third Country" is.

Just saying.
    Originally posted by Nick_C
    If you've got a reading age above 8 the following paragraph might give you a clue.
    After 29 March 2019, if the UK leaves the European Union without a deal, Brits will be considered 'third country nationals' under rules used in the Schengen area
    Or if that is too hard, try that little known search engine called "google", which found this in 3 seconds: https://www.eurofound.europa.eu/observatories/eurwork/industrial-relations-dictionary/third-country-nationals

Just saying.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 14th Sep 18, 9:08 AM
    • 4,439 Posts
    • 6,389 Thanks
    Nick_C
    If you've got a reading age above 8 the following paragraph might give you a clue.
    Or if that is too hard, try that little known search engine called "google", which found this in 3 seconds: https://www.eurofound.europa.eu/observatories/eurwork/industrial-relations-dictionary/third-country-nationals

Just saying.
    My reading age is above 8, thank you. I also have a mature level of good manners and courtesy.

But in quoting the article, you have proved my point. The article doesn't define what a third country is. Hence Freda's point was a valid one.

Your reply to her, explaining what a "third Country" is, would have been helpful if you had not embellished it with gratuitous sarcasm.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 14th Sep 18, 9:16 AM
    • 13,534 Posts
    • 11,491 Thanks
    zagfles
    My reading age is above 8, thank you. I also have a mature level of good manners and courtesy.
    Originally posted by Nick_C
    No you don't. You're just being pedantic for the sake of it
    But in quoting the article, you have proved my point. The article doesn't define what a third country is. Hence Freda's point was a valid one.
    The article makes it blatently obvious to anyone with a reading age above 8, even if it doesn't give an exact definition.
    Your reply to her, explaining what a "third Country" is, would have been helpful if you had not embellished it with gratuitous sarcasm.
    This from someone who's contributed nothing but sarcasm to the entire thread! Unless you think the unemployment rate of Black Americans is somehow relevant to someone renewing their passport in the UK?
    Last edited by zagfles; 14-09-2018 at 11:48 AM.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 14th Sep 18, 10:08 AM
    • 13,534 Posts
    • 11,491 Thanks
    zagfles
    Getting back on topic...

This could affect people who renewed years ago. Schengen insist on a passport no more than 10 years old for "third countries" (which we'll be if we leave the EU with no deal).

So if say someone renewed their passport in March 2009 and got 9 months added from their old passport which expired in December 2009, their current passport will have an expiry date in December 2019.

However, it will be over 10 years old after March 2019, and therefore not valid in the Schengen zone!

This is probably a more important issue for MSE to be taking up than people renewing now not getting validity added. It'll affect people planning to travel this summer!

Obviously all this could be sorted in a deal. Hopefully it will be.

ETA: MSE already on it, seems your passport can't be older than 9 years 6 months, so your passport might not be valid in the EU 1 year and 3 months before the expiry date!
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2018/09/free-eu-roaming-can-t-be-guaranteed-if-no-deal-brexit-
    Last edited by zagfles; 14-09-2018 at 11:49 AM.
    • zerog
    • By zerog 14th Sep 18, 1:54 PM
    • 2,388 Posts
    • 836 Thanks
    zerog
    paid for my 10 year old’s passport to be renewed on Sunday (online) it is due to expire in March 2019, after her 11th birthday. I assumed she would have the remaining time added on, as she had in the past. This would mean her next passport would be a 10 year adult passport. Now she will have to get a further child passport. Since I have already paid the fee I need to submit the application in the next 90 days, so don’t have the option to wait.
    Originally posted by becominganobsessivesaver
    You don't need to have an unexpired passport at all times, or in other words, you can get a new passport even if your old one expired some time ago.

So, as long as she doesn't need to travel for 6 months around her 16th birthday, she can still renew her child passport into an adult one. After it expires when she is 15 she just needs to wait a few months until she is eligible to get an adult one.
    • katejo
    • By katejo 14th Sep 18, 6:39 PM
    • 3,125 Posts
    • 1,222 Thanks
    katejo
    Getting back on topic...

This could affect people who renewed years ago. Schengen insist on a passport no more than 10 years old for "third countries" (which we'll be if we leave the EU with no deal).

So if say someone renewed their passport in March 2009 and got 9 months added from their old passport which expired in December 2009, their current passport will have an expiry date in December 2019.

However, it will be over 10 years old after March 2019, and therefore not valid in the Schengen zone!

This is probably a more important issue for MSE to be taking up than people renewing now not getting validity added. It'll affect people planning to travel this summer!

Obviously all this could be sorted in a deal. Hopefully it will be.

ETA: MSE already on it, seems your passport can't be older than 9 years 6 months, so your passport might not be valid in the EU 1 year and 3 months before the expiry date!
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2018/09/free-eu-roaming-can-t-be-guaranteed-if-no-deal-brexit-
    Yes I am thinking this way too. I last renewed in June 2009 and my expiry date is March 2020. I had already gathered that I won't be able to use it beyond Sept 2019 but this suggests that I can't use it after June 2019 (exactly 10 years after the renewal) or is it even earlier after Dec 2018? I actually plan to do my renewal by December 2018 before the March 29th cutoff.
    Last edited by katejo; 14-09-2018 at 6:44 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,737Posts Today

9,582Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Major new guide... Brexit, what it means for you and your finances: M mortgages, savings, flights, consumer rights? https://t.co/SXCMG2qXwX

• Have you haggled on the high street in the last year? If so who with and did you succeed? Please vote in this week? https://t.co/fdzmmFfA4u

• Warning: Energy price comparisons are now WRONG due to the price cap - it needs fixing - my letter to Ofgem alerti? https://t.co/vE9IHyM58X

• Follow Martin