Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pws52
    • By pws52 12th Sep 18, 1:41 PM
    • 170Posts
    • 788Thanks
    pws52
    0 WOW
    Best oven chips?
    • 12th Sep 18, 1:41 PM
    0 WOW
    Best oven chips? 12th Sep 18 at 1:41 PM
    I am thinking of using these but am wondering which brand to buy.
    Looking for recommendations....thank you.
Page 2
    • boliston
    • By boliston 15th Sep 18, 6:05 PM
    • 2,774 Posts
    • 2,327 Thanks
    boliston
    aunt bessie - either crinkle cut or straight cut
    • Enterprise 1701C
    • By Enterprise 1701C 15th Sep 18, 6:08 PM
    • 20,007 Posts
    • 212,801 Thanks
    Enterprise 1701C
    My favourite are the Aldi crinkle cut oven chips, I cook them a few minutes longer than recommended and they come up lovely.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
    • madvixen
    • By madvixen 15th Sep 18, 7:38 PM
    • 551 Posts
    • 1,230 Thanks
    madvixen
    McCain Gastro chips for me. I hated oven chips but these have totally converted me.
    • robin58
    • By robin58 16th Sep 18, 2:44 AM
    • 2,660 Posts
    • 3,157 Thanks
    robin58
    I tried them once and can't say I was sold on them, they seemed to take forever (maybe because they are big) to cook.

I do like Mccain Home Chips. I also dont stick to 1 brand or style as I mix it up. I only have an oven so the french fries are either cooked too much or not enough. Mccain rustic fries are ok.
    Originally posted by DCFC79
    I've had the problem with the Deluxe chips not cooking.

Give the new Lidl Steak chips a try. Coated chips but thier size is about 1/4 inch in height, twice that in width and any length up to 4 inches long. As they are less chunky they cook better.

But the good thing is these chips only cost 99p for 1.5kg.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 16th Sep 18, 2:46 PM
    • 1,044 Posts
    • 2,569 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    I'm know I'm going against the flow here but I actually think chips are one of the very few foods where the better quality processed pre-packed version actually tastes better than the home made version.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 16th Sep 18, 3:23 PM
    • 11,273 Posts
    • 30,126 Thanks
    suki1964
    I'm know I'm going against the flow here but I actually think chips are one of the very few foods where the better quality processed pre-packed version actually tastes better than the home made version.
    Originally posted by NaughtiusMaximus
    Oven chips? I have to agree

Which is why I no longer buy them
    if you lend someone 20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,768Posts Today

8,356Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin