Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pws52
    • By pws52 12th Sep 18, 1:41 PM
    • 172Posts
    • 794Thanks
    pws52
    0 WOW
    Best oven chips?
    • 12th Sep 18, 1:41 PM
    0 WOW
    Best oven chips? 12th Sep 18 at 1:41 PM
    I am thinking of using these but am wondering which brand to buy.
    Looking for recommendations....thank you.
Page 2
    • boliston
    • By boliston 15th Sep 18, 6:05 PM
    • 2,800 Posts
    • 2,380 Thanks
    boliston
    aunt bessie - either crinkle cut or straight cut
    • Enterprise 1701C
    • By Enterprise 1701C 15th Sep 18, 6:08 PM
    • 20,431 Posts
    • 215,822 Thanks
    Enterprise 1701C
    My favourite are the Aldi crinkle cut oven chips, I cook them a few minutes longer than recommended and they come up lovely.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
    • madvixen
    • By madvixen 15th Sep 18, 7:38 PM
    • 551 Posts
    • 1,231 Thanks
    madvixen
    McCain Gastro chips for me. I hated oven chips but these have totally converted me.
    • robin58
    • By robin58 16th Sep 18, 2:44 AM
    • 2,705 Posts
    • 3,262 Thanks
    robin58
    I tried them once and can't say I was sold on them, they seemed to take forever (maybe because they are big) to cook.

I do like Mccain Home Chips. I also dont stick to 1 brand or style as I mix it up. I only have an oven so the french fries are either cooked too much or not enough. Mccain rustic fries are ok.
    Originally posted by DCFC79
    I've had the problem with the Deluxe chips not cooking.

Give the new Lidl Steak chips a try. Coated chips but thier size is about 1/4 inch in height, twice that in width and any length up to 4 inches long. As they are less chunky they cook better.

But the good thing is these chips only cost 99p for 1.5kg.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 16th Sep 18, 2:46 PM
    • 1,352 Posts
    • 3,278 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    I'm know I'm going against the flow here but I actually think chips are one of the very few foods where the better quality processed pre-packed version actually tastes better than the home made version.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 16th Sep 18, 3:23 PM
    • 11,405 Posts
    • 30,591 Thanks
    suki1964
    I'm know I'm going against the flow here but I actually think chips are one of the very few foods where the better quality processed pre-packed version actually tastes better than the home made version.
    Originally posted by NaughtiusMaximus
    Oven chips? I have to agree

Which is why I no longer buy them
    if you lend someone 20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • anotheruser
    • By anotheruser 20th Sep 18, 9:09 AM
    • 2,645 Posts
    • 1,552 Thanks
    anotheruser
    Make your own, it's cheaper and also you don't have any preservatives added. Healthier too.
    Originally posted by Bacman
    Do you have any evidence of your "it's healthier" and "it's cheaper" claims?

Thinking of quantifiable evidence taking into account the longer cook on home made oven chips, and equipment purchased, such as a chipper...

I myself choose Asda home style.
    Last edited by anotheruser; 20-09-2018 at 9:11 AM.
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 20th Sep 18, 11:46 AM
    • 1,352 Posts
    • 3,278 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    Do you have any evidence of your "it's healthier" and "it's cheaper" claims?

Thinking of quantifiable evidence taking into account the longer cook on home made oven chips, and equipment purchased, such as a chipper...

I myself choose Asda home style.
    Originally posted by anotheruser
    You don't NEED a chipper to make home made chips, a sharp knife works fine. It will take a little longer to prepare them but on the plus side a knife is a lot easier to clean afterwards than a chipper.

As for being healthier, I've no evidence but common sense dictates that potato+seasonings is likely to be a healthier option than potato+seasonings+preservatives.
    Last edited by NaughtiusMaximus; 20-09-2018 at 11:48 AM.
    • PLRFD
    • By PLRFD 20th Sep 18, 12:45 PM
    • 732 Posts
    • 744 Thanks
    PLRFD
    This sharp knife you speak of must surely be wizardry
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 20th Sep 18, 2:52 PM
    • 26,778 Posts
    • 57,005 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    As for being healthier, I've no evidence but common sense dictates that potato+seasonings is likely to be a healthier option than potato+seasonings+preservatives.
    Originally posted by NaughtiusMaximus
    A nasty case of empirical reasoning, I'd say.

I would recommend a day following Trump tweets to remedy this logical stance
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Scritti
    • By Scritti 24th Sep 18, 12:37 PM
    • 332 Posts
    • 705 Thanks
    Scritti
    Give the new Lidl Steak chips a try. Coated chips but thier size is about 1/4 inch in height, twice that in width and any length up to 4 inches long. As they are less chunky they cook better.

But the good thing is these chips only cost 99p for 1.5kg.
    Originally posted by robin58
    Been tucking in to a bag of these and I have to say that, having tried Lidl's other oven chips as well as ones from Aldi and most of the big brands, these are probably the best I've ever had. Generally prefer Aldi but there are a handful of things I'll go especially to Lidl for and these yummy chips will be added to that list.
    • MrsStepford
    • By MrsStepford 24th Sep 18, 10:27 PM
    • 161 Posts
    • 336 Thanks
    MrsStepford
    Waitrose organic oven chips. However there's a chippie nearby and if husband wants chips, he nips round there.
    • Eenymeeny
    • By Eenymeeny 25th Sep 18, 9:31 AM
    • 1,849 Posts
    • 6,779 Thanks
    Eenymeeny
    Sorry, a bit off thread but I've found a solution for chunky chips which are a bit hard in the middle after cooking to the manufacturer's instructions.
    A couple of minutes in the microwave before putting them in a hot oven seems to start the defrost and produces lovely, fluffy- in- the middle, crispy outside chips. Worth a try
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    • Zero Sum
    • By Zero Sum 25th Sep 18, 10:53 PM
    • 560 Posts
    • 454 Thanks
    Zero Sum
    If Im buying oven chips I do like Lidls deluxe chunky chips made with Marie Piper potatoes. They are huge, you only need a few but they are delicious
    Originally posted by suki1964

They are nice, but seem to take ages to cook. Normally have chips in for 20-25 mins. These took 45 mins +
    • PorkPie06
    • By PorkPie06 27th Sep 18, 12:06 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 135 Thanks
    PorkPie06
    Sainsbury's Crinkle Cut Chips 1.5kg - 1.50 - amazing!
    • JIL
    • By JIL 28th Sep 18, 10:46 PM
    • 3,246 Posts
    • 20,874 Thanks
    JIL
    I really don't like oven chips, but done in an actifry and they come out really well cooked. I like the aunt Bessie skin on rustic fries. I have only just seen them in the shop and they are as good as I have had done in a chip pan.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 4th Oct 18, 2:12 PM
    • 16,418 Posts
    • 140,369 Thanks
    JackieO
    Just read through and now really fancy some chips but I never make any at home at all and only eat them once every four weeks at quiz night at the local pub where we get a small supper on a Tuesday night included in the price of our quiz 2.00 for a night out cheap as chips really

JackieO xx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018:Food Budget only Total end of October since Jan 307.43 15th November 19.80 first shop of the month
    • andygb
    • By andygb 4th Oct 18, 2:37 PM
    • 12,630 Posts
    • 27,889 Thanks
    andygb
    M&S Maris Piper potatoes are 1 per kilo (2.50 for 2.5 kilos), and they make a great oven chip.
    Follow the usual procedure - peel, soak in water, pat dry, cut into chunky chips, dry between two pieces of kitchen towel, 1TBS of olive oil in a bowl, thoroughly coat the chips in oil, place in preheated 200C oven on a baking tray for 25-30 minutes, removing halfway to toss them around a bit without breaking them, remove with a proper slice with holes so that oil drains away, and place chips on kitchen roll to drain excess oil.
    They should be evenly golden, with a crisp exterior and fluffy interior.
    Add coarse sea salt and a dash of red wine vinegar.
    • maman
    • By maman 4th Oct 18, 3:23 PM
    • 18,739 Posts
    • 111,939 Thanks
    maman
    M&S Maris Piper potatoes are 1 per kilo (2.50 for 2.5 kilos), and they make a great oven chip.
    Follow the usual procedure - peel, soak in water, pat dry, cut into chunky chips, dry between two pieces of kitchen towel, 1TBS of olive oil in a bowl, thoroughly coat the chips in oil, place in preheated 200C oven on a baking tray for 25-30 minutes, removing halfway to toss them around a bit without breaking them, remove with a proper slice with holes so that oil drains away, and place chips on kitchen roll to drain excess oil.
    They should be evenly golden, with a crisp exterior and fluffy interior.
    Add coarse sea salt and a dash of red wine vinegar.
    Originally posted by andygb

I do something very similar.

One tip passed on by a friend is to cook on one of those mesh trays (Mine is from the shop) rather than a baking tray. I put that straight onto the oven shelf and turn around once half way through cooking. Tossing around isn't necessary as they're being cooked from top and bottom.
    • andygb
    • By andygb 5th Oct 18, 8:02 AM
    • 12,630 Posts
    • 27,889 Thanks
    andygb
    I do something very similar.

One tip passed on by a friend is to cook on one of those mesh trays (Mine is from the shop) rather than a baking tray. I put that straight onto the oven shelf and turn around once half way through cooking. Tossing around isn't necessary as they're being cooked from top and bottom.
    Originally posted by maman

The mesh tray sounds a fantastic idea cheers.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,031Posts Today

8,559Users online

Martin's Twitter