Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Bwjones1975
    • By Bwjones1975 12th Sep 18, 11:46 AM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Bwjones1975
    HELP: Newbie to landlord's insurance
    • 12th Sep 18, 11:46 AM
    HELP: Newbie to landlord's insurance 12th Sep 18 at 11:46 AM
    HELP: appropriate home insurance for short term let

Hello there,

I am going away for 5 months and have let out my house (furnished) to a young couple. They will bring their own contents insurance across with them to cover their items.

My question is what sort of home and contents insurance do I need for this five month period (to cover my contents and the building)? I presume I am not allowed to simply carry over my current home insurance policy.

Comparison websites seem to only list landlord insurance for a year. Can I take out such a policy and end it early?

The tenants are very reliable, but what are the absolutes musts on a landlordís policy so that I am protected.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Ben
Page 1
    • Hasbeen
    • By Hasbeen 12th Sep 18, 12:57 PM
    • 995 Posts
    • 734 Thanks
    Hasbeen
    • 12th Sep 18, 12:57 PM
    • 12th Sep 18, 12:57 PM
    HELP: appropriate home insurance for short term let

Hello there,

I am going away for 5 months and have let out my house (furnished) to a young couple. They will bring their own contents insurance across with them to cover their items.

My question is what sort of home and contents insurance do I need for this five month period (to cover my contents and the building)? I presume I am not allowed to simply carry over my current home insurance policy.

Comparison websites seem to only list landlord insurance for a year. Can I take out such a policy and end it early?

The tenants are very reliable, but what are the absolutes musts on a landlord’s policy so that I am protected.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Ben
    Originally posted by Bwjones1975
    Just Google short term landlords insurance. Discuss your requirments to provide appropriate cover.

Tenants have already moved in?

You have registered to be a landord?
    Have given them a copy of gas safety and electrical certificates, also a current energy performance certificate and have infrmed HMRC?

And of course protected the deposit and have given them a written contract?
    Last edited by Hasbeen; 12-09-2018 at 12:59 PM.
    • Bwjones1975
    • By Bwjones1975 13th Sep 18, 8:19 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Bwjones1975
    • 13th Sep 18, 8:19 AM
    • 13th Sep 18, 8:19 AM
    Hello Hasbeen,

Thanks for the quick response, very helpful. I am sorted out in relation to the above, excepting the insurance. When I Google 'short term landlords insurance' it either directs me to the general compare sites (where annual insurance is thrown up) or to 90 day insurance.

Any further advice on how to go about getting 5 months of landlord insurance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ben
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 13th Sep 18, 9:32 AM
    • 37,945 Posts
    • 22,058 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 13th Sep 18, 9:32 AM
    • 13th Sep 18, 9:32 AM
    Take a standard annual landlord policy

Cancel when no longer required. If no claims have been made you will get a partial refund of the premium
    • ashburnham
    • By ashburnham 14th Sep 18, 4:20 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    ashburnham
    • 14th Sep 18, 4:20 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 4:20 PM
    As above really... take out an annual policy and cancel when it is no longer required. Be aware of cancellation charges before you go on cover as these do differ.

Please also be careful answering the lease agreement questions. A lot of insurers will require a 6 month minimum lease agreement which I assume you do not have. Plenty of insurers will not have a problem but it is common for a 6+ month lease to be presumed so answer this appropriately.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 14th Sep 18, 4:38 PM
    • 21,456 Posts
    • 17,270 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 14th Sep 18, 4:38 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 4:38 PM
    I hope you're not relying on moving back into the house after 5 months, because whatever the length of the tenancy agreement you have with your tenants you cannot serve them notice to quit before 6 months (and it can take several more months to actually gain possession) should they decide not to go of their own accord.
    • Bwjones1975
    • By Bwjones1975 14th Sep 18, 9:15 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Bwjones1975
    • 14th Sep 18, 9:15 PM
    Thanks
    • 14th Sep 18, 9:15 PM
    This is very helpful.
    • Bwjones1975
    • By Bwjones1975 14th Sep 18, 9:16 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Bwjones1975
    • 14th Sep 18, 9:16 PM
    Thanks
    • 14th Sep 18, 9:16 PM
    I am getting used to how these threads work. Really helpful advice. Particularly on the cancellation policies and being careful with those. An annual policy and a cancellation after five months. Many thanks.
    • Bwjones1975
    • By Bwjones1975 15th Sep 18, 7:01 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Bwjones1975
    • 15th Sep 18, 7:01 AM
    • 15th Sep 18, 7:01 AM
    I hope you're not relying on moving back into the house after 5 months, because whatever the length of the tenancy agreement you have with your tenants you cannot serve them notice to quit before 6 months (and it can take several more months to actually gain possession) should they decide not to go of their own accord.
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    Thanks for the above comment it is very helpful. The contract we have signed has an end date of 01.03.19. Is this helpful in addressing the issue raised above?
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 15th Sep 18, 8:25 AM
    • 21,456 Posts
    • 17,270 Thanks
    agrinnall
    It's the start date that determines when the 6 months is up.
    • Kynthia
    • By Kynthia 16th Sep 18, 3:59 PM
    • 5,354 Posts
    • 7,460 Thanks
    Kynthia
    Thanks for the above comment it is very helpful. The contract we have signed has an end date of 01.03.19. Is this helpful in addressing the issue raised above?
    Originally posted by Bwjones1975
    Despite any end date in the contract, if they don't leave you need to take them to court to evict them. My knowledge is a bit out of date but you can't issue a section 21 with an expiry date less than 6 months after their tenancy began. There are also other conditions that must be met. Then it takes a few weeks for a court date, who may then give them 14 days notice, and possibly a few months for court bailiffs if they ignore this.

So if they didn't want to move on your return, or couldn't because they had no job or money, it would take you months to get back into your home as a worst case scenario.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,542Posts Today

9,511Users online

Martin's Twitter