Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • markprior
    • By markprior 12th Sep 18, 11:39 AM
    • 32Posts
    • 12Thanks
    markprior
    No Idea on Benefit - Child on way
    • 12th Sep 18, 11:39 AM
    No Idea on Benefit - Child on way 12th Sep 18 at 11:39 AM
    Hi All

I / my partner are very new to claiming any kind of benefit, we both work, she is currently on maternity

Her Salary is around 22k
    Mine around 40k

she is now on maternity & we are expecting arrival any day, i think we maybe able to claim child benefit but not entirely sure, not sure if there is anything else i should be looking at either ?

we are not struggling financially however we have both put into the system so would like to get out what we are entitled to

Thanks
Page 1
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 12th Sep 18, 11:43 AM
    • 11,404 Posts
    • 30,584 Thanks
    suki1964
    • 12th Sep 18, 11:43 AM
    • 12th Sep 18, 11:43 AM
    Its not a building society you know

You are entitled to child benefit
    if you lend someone 20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • markprior
    • By markprior 12th Sep 18, 12:21 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    markprior
    • 12th Sep 18, 12:21 PM
    • 12th Sep 18, 12:21 PM
    haha thanks
    • brewthebear
    • By brewthebear 12th Sep 18, 12:31 PM
    • 173 Posts
    • 179 Thanks
    brewthebear
    • 12th Sep 18, 12:31 PM
    • 12th Sep 18, 12:31 PM
    You dont pay into the system as you put it to then get out what you can. Byhaving a baby you are already (getting out of it) maternity midwife hospital doc etc.
    Dentists, sick pay etc, again by putting in the system as we all do entitles us That is the main reason tax ins is paid Is that not enough for you !!
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 12th Sep 18, 2:51 PM
    • 27,267 Posts
    • 16,313 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 12th Sep 18, 2:51 PM
    • 12th Sep 18, 2:51 PM
    https://www.gov.uk/child-benefit
    • Happier Me
    • By Happier Me 13th Sep 18, 8:15 AM
    • 449 Posts
    • 1,008 Thanks
    Happier Me
    • 13th Sep 18, 8:15 AM
    • 13th Sep 18, 8:15 AM
    There are a number of benefit calculators on the Internet but given your income I expect you will be entitled to child benefit only. It all helps though. If your partner returns to work and you use paid for childcare, look into child care voucher schemes too to see if these will benefit you.
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 13th Sep 18, 8:43 AM
    • 5,317 Posts
    • 3,472 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    • 13th Sep 18, 8:43 AM
    • 13th Sep 18, 8:43 AM
    There are a number of benefit calculators on the Internet but given your income I expect you will be entitled to child benefit only. It all helps though. If your partner returns to work and you use paid for childcare, look into child care voucher schemes too to see if these will benefit you.
    Originally posted by Happier Me
    Childcare vouchers close to new entrants on 4th October. It would need to be tax free childcare.
    • markprior
    • By markprior 14th Sep 18, 8:35 AM
    • 32 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    markprior
    • 14th Sep 18, 8:35 AM
    • 14th Sep 18, 8:35 AM
    thanks for the replies
    • PersianCatLady
    • By PersianCatLady 15th Sep 18, 1:14 AM
    • 578 Posts
    • 571 Thanks
    PersianCatLady
    • 15th Sep 18, 1:14 AM
    • 15th Sep 18, 1:14 AM
    Its not a building society you know

You are entitled to child benefit
    Originally posted by suki1964
    It is shocking that so many people think that it is a building society.

Rather than be disappointed that they are not entitkled to anything, perhjaps the OP could be grateful that they are lucky enough to be financially stable?
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 15th Sep 18, 11:30 AM
    • 9,359 Posts
    • 7,028 Thanks
    pmduk
    Actually, it's an insurance policy, hence the name National Insurance. Millions of people annually fail to claim the money that the Government has decided they're entitled to.

The OP is indeed in a relatively comfortable position but is perfectly entitled to check if anything further is available. After all, no demands were being made.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 15th Sep 18, 12:24 PM
    • 5,539 Posts
    • 6,177 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    The OP is doing nothing wrong or illegal in asking what their entitlements might be once the baby arrives. I thought that was the purpose of the forum. In fact, at the top it does state "For help and support NOT judgement".
    • Catnip63
    • By Catnip63 16th Sep 18, 9:01 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Catnip63
    Wow not been on the forum for a couple of weeks and what rude judgmental people seem to have appeared. Well said Tellit01
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 16th Sep 18, 9:51 PM
    • 5,539 Posts
    • 6,177 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    Wow not been on the forum for a couple of weeks and what rude judgmental people seem to have appeared. Well said Tellit01
    Originally posted by Catnip63

Hang around Catnip63 and you'll discover you ain't seen nothing yet.
    • Catnip63
    • By Catnip63 18th Sep 18, 9:45 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Catnip63
    Some really helpful members with sound advice .........then on the flip side !
    • PersianCatLady
    • By PersianCatLady 19th Sep 18, 6:37 AM
    • 578 Posts
    • 571 Thanks
    PersianCatLady
    Perhaps the OP wasn't worded in the best way?

It was fine until it said-
    "we are not struggling financially however we have both put into the system so would like to get out what we are entitled to"
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 19th Sep 18, 8:21 AM
    • 5,317 Posts
    • 3,472 Thanks
    Darksparkle

"we are not struggling financially however we have both put into the system so would like to get out what we are entitled to"
    Originally posted by PersianCatLady
    Asking the question this way always gets people's back up. I like to consider myself a helpful poster but even I get annoyed by this. It's like people don't think they already get anything from paying tax/nic
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 19th Sep 18, 10:48 AM
    • 5,539 Posts
    • 6,177 Thanks
    TELLIT01

Originally posted by PersianCatLady

I'm inclined to agree with that. It's what many/most people actually think but probably best not to put it in writing on a board such as this.
    • PersianCatLady
    • By PersianCatLady 19th Sep 18, 2:17 PM
    • 578 Posts
    • 571 Thanks
    PersianCatLady
    Asking the question this way always gets people's back up. I like to consider myself a helpful poster but even I get annoyed by this. It's like people don't think they already get anything from paying tax/nic
    Originally posted by Darksparkle
    Exactly my point
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

114Posts Today

1,886Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • "Sabrina, you're young. I'm not sure you've the experience I'm looking for in a business partner." Eh? Isn't the pr? https://t.co/IeTxBQq2OU

• I am predicting the word myself will be misused 6 times in today;s boardroom. What do yourself think? #TheApprentice

• Not sure how I ever succeeded running a successful entreprise? After all my gardening and garden design skills are? https://t.co/FFnvkjsGDU

• Follow Martin