Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jonbey
    • By jonbey 12th Sep 18, 9:35 AM
    • 24Posts
    • 4Thanks
    jonbey
    EON increasing my monthly DD from 51 to 131
    • 12th Sep 18, 9:35 AM
    EON increasing my monthly DD from 51 to 131 12th Sep 18 at 9:35 AM
    No idea why - electric use has not changed.

My account balance is 195.74, but I have been paying 51 for a year since I moved into the house, so at most I would guess I was about 16.30 short each month.

How can they increase my DD to 131? And where is the money going to come from?

Any advice on what to do?

UPDATE - email just come in:

We need to increase your fixed monthly Direct Debit
    We've reviewed your Direct Debit and you're no longer paying the right amount to cover the electricity you're using. To make sure you keep on track we need to increase it from 51.00 to 131.00. Your new payment amount is effective from 28 September 2018. As long as you don't change how much electricity you use and your prices and any discounts you receive stay the same, you'll continue paying this until we review your payments again at your annual review. Your payment plan Your annual review date
    February 2019

How much we think you'll use up to your annual review
    If the estimated readings on your last statement are different to your own, please give us your readings.

How much you'll pay up to your annual review
    This includes your current balance of 195.74. If you have a credit balance, this could be less than how much we think you'll use.

Your expected balance at your annual review
    If your statement dates change, your annual review will be moved to be in line with your new statement date.

According to this, i will be reviewed in February, 5 payment months from now. They want to cover the shortfall of 195 plus 458 (their guess) (458+195/5 = 39) by taking 131 a month ...

So that answers that.

Now I need to find out if 90 is right for my electric use, seems very high.
    Last edited by jonbey; 12-09-2018 at 9:49 AM. Reason: update
Page 2
    • chrisw99
    • By chrisw99 14th Sep 18, 9:44 AM
    • 256 Posts
    • 170 Thanks
    chrisw99

1) Your consumption for a gas C/H house is high. Aug 2017 - Nov 2017 is 1235 ie 5000 a year (3000 is more typical) . Why ?
    Originally posted by Robin9
    5000 is not particularly high.

My last 4 years electricity usage is 6464, 7255, 7387, 7850

Standard 3 bed semi, 2 adults 2 kids.
    • chrisw99
    • By chrisw99 14th Sep 18, 9:55 AM
    • 256 Posts
    • 170 Thanks
    chrisw99
    Ah, maybe mine is a little high

https://ibb.co/b5SeFU

Orange line is the profile for a 3 bed semi, so seems we are double the average....
    (but then for an average to be an average, you need people well under and people well over...)

Gawd knows what happened in October
    • jonbey
    • By jonbey 14th Sep 18, 11:13 AM
    • 24 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    jonbey
    Why haven't you been checking your on-line account and querying why the readings haven't been used for billing. As other have sad, never accept an estimated reading, get it corrected.

If you check you account yourself regularly then you should be aware that your DD isn't covering your consumption or that your billing has gone awry.

Try being a bit more proactive in future to avoid getting into a similar situation.
    Originally posted by matelodave

Why? Because I assumed that the energy company would do this! A bit daft that customers are expected to monitor their energy usage and the direct debits that are set by companies to see if they match. They don't make it easy either, had to get the calculator out and find their kwh daily and unit rates to see how much I was actually using compared to what I was paying. Plan daft that their system does not alert this to customers.

Will be moving to a supplier that manages accounts a little more logically.
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 14th Sep 18, 11:21 AM
    • 3,065 Posts
    • 2,014 Thanks
    Robin9
    Why? Because I assumed that the energy company would do this! A bit daft that customers are expected to monitor their energy usage and the direct debits that are set by companies to see if they match. They don't make it easy either, had to get the calculator out and find their kwh daily and unit rates to see how much I was actually using compared to what I was paying. Plan daft that their system does not alert this to customers.

Originally posted by jonbey
    Dig your head in the sand if you want but you will end up in just the same mess as you are now.

My approach is that as i'm spending over 1000 on my gas and electric its worth 5 mins a month reading my meter and putting the details on line and reading emails and statements when they are produced. You think differently.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 14th Sep 18, 12:23 PM
    • 6,133 Posts
    • 3,923 Thanks
    Hengus

Invest in Meters (99p on the IOS App). Add your tariff details and a couple of readings and it will calculate what your next bill will be, or should have been. Unless consumers agree to a smart meter or provide frequent meter readings, energy company usage estimates are at best nothing more than a guess. The margin for error reduces the longer a family has lived in a property (provided that there isn't a material change in circumstances like a baby or the fitting of PV solar).
  • E.ON Company Representative: Malc
    E.ON Monthly Direct Debits
    Hi Malc

I just entered a meter reading, and the balance increased to 250.
    It now says "We can't take your meter readings
    As your statement is being produced we can't take any meter readings until it's ready." and I cannot get any details...

What is frustrating is that I have been giving meter readings, and the debit of 51 a month has remained. Why didn't the DD get increased as soon as it was evident I was using more? It's been over a year.
    Found my meter reading history. Eon have not used my meter readings for billing for a year. Now they've put the prices up, I have to play catch up ... great, thanks.

Date Reading Source Register Bill Date
    13/09/2018 43743 Customer Day / Rate 1 Not used for billing
    04/06/2018 42450 Customer Day / Rate 1 Not used for billing
    22/02/2018 41028 Customer Day / Rate 1 Not used for billing
    20/11/2017 39655 Customer Day / Rate 1
    20/11/2017
    03/09/2017 38521 Estimated Day / Rate 1
    03/09/2017
    18/08/2017 38420 Customer Day / Rate 1
    18/08/2017
    OK, my balance is now reading as
    Account balance: 249.26

If I pay this off now, I will be free to transfer to another supplier? Will get a dual fuel deal. Bulb looks OK, renewable energy.

Any bulb fans here?
    Hello jonbey and many thanks for coming offline and emailing me. I've replied this afternoon and hope the information is useful.

As I mentioned, we have a website glitch. The message saying readings 'not used for billing' on online accounts doesn't always mean they've not been used. Best to check on the bills themselves to see if we've used individual readings for billing.

Let me know if you need any more information jonbey as happy to help and have a good weekend.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,960Posts Today

9,146Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin