Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • matienzo
    • By matienzo 11th Sep 18, 5:53 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    matienzo
    0 WOW
    Crazy cheap October car hire at Malaga
    • 11th Sep 18, 5:53 PM
    0 WOW
    Crazy cheap October car hire at Malaga 11th Sep 18 at 5:53 PM
    Over October half term 2018 there are numerous ridiculously cheap car hire deals coming up for collect / drop off at Malaga Airport. For example I found a Panda with unlimited mileage for £5 for 9 days!
    I am well aware of the tricks these cheaper guys play (Goldcar etc) but has anyone managed to hire one at this price reliably whilst avoiding all the pressure to buy extra insurance and potential claims on the deposit you leave? It strikes me this is far too good to be true and I just cannot bring myself to go with any of these cheap deals but I'm interested to know if anyone has and what was their experience. The only way these hires can make money is if they sell insurance and make ambiguous damage claims!
Page 1
    • antenna
    • By antenna 11th Sep 18, 6:25 PM
    • 1,654 Posts
    • 985 Thanks
    antenna
    • 11th Sep 18, 6:25 PM
    • 11th Sep 18, 6:25 PM
    OMG..................lambs to the slaughter.
    Political?....I dont do Political....well,not much!
    • photome
    • By photome 11th Sep 18, 7:08 PM
    • 13,480 Posts
    • 8,990 Thanks
    photome
    • 11th Sep 18, 7:08 PM
    • 11th Sep 18, 7:08 PM
    I wouldn’t do it but I know someone who goes regularly to Alicante and hires cars for stupidly low amounts and has never had to pay extra.....yet
    • antenna
    • By antenna 11th Sep 18, 7:32 PM
    • 1,654 Posts
    • 985 Thanks
    antenna
    • 11th Sep 18, 7:32 PM
    • 11th Sep 18, 7:32 PM
    I wouldn’t do it but I know someone who goes regularly to Alicante and hires cars for stupidly low amounts and has never had to pay extra.....yet
    Originally posted by photome
    Oh yeah......that bloke in the pub....i think i know him too
    Political?....I dont do Political....well,not much!
    • photome
    • By photome 12th Sep 18, 7:13 AM
    • 13,480 Posts
    • 8,990 Thanks
    photome
    • 12th Sep 18, 7:13 AM
    • 12th Sep 18, 7:13 AM
    Oh yeah......that bloke in the pub....i think i know him too
    Originally posted by antenna

as i said I woudnt do it because of the hold they put on your card.

but its a family member who does, he does have an annual excess policy and always has to argue with them at the end of the hire to get a hand written signature confirming no damage

I have just returned from Alicante and paid 180 euros for the week, He thinks I am mad but he is also prepared one day to get caught with massive extras

I woudnt have posted it if I wasnt sure of my facts, there is too much of that on here
    Last edited by photome; 12-09-2018 at 7:42 AM.
    • lurkylurky
    • By lurkylurky 13th Sep 18, 8:12 AM
    • 410 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    lurkylurky
    • 13th Sep 18, 8:12 AM
    • 13th Sep 18, 8:12 AM
    I am on holiday at the moment and paid £6.80 for a three week car hire from Alicante with Goldcar. I have excess insurance so my credit card is ring fenced for 1200 euros.

I was dubious the first time I got one of these stupidly cheap deals but have had several of the last couple of years and so far have had no issues.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 13th Sep 18, 10:33 AM
    • 770 Posts
    • 349 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    • 13th Sep 18, 10:33 AM
    • 13th Sep 18, 10:33 AM
    I am on holiday at the moment and paid £6.80 for a three week car hire from Alicante with Goldcar. I have excess insurance so my credit card is ring fenced for 1200 euros.

I was dubious the first time I got one of these stupidly cheap deals but have had several of the last couple of years and so far have had no issues.
    Originally posted by lurkylurky
    It's not really £6.80, as you paid over the odds for fuel and driving back with an empty tank isn't advisable.
    Then there is a possible long wait on both sides. Picking up the car and then waiting/insisting on them signing off the car and giving out a final invoice before you leave.
    • lurkylurky
    • By lurkylurky 13th Sep 18, 11:53 AM
    • 410 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    lurkylurky
    • 13th Sep 18, 11:53 AM
    • 13th Sep 18, 11:53 AM
    It's not really £6.80, as you paid over the odds for fuel and driving back with an empty tank isn't advisable.
    Then there is a possible long wait on both sides. Picking up the car and then waiting/insisting on them signing off the car and giving out a final invoice before you leave.
    Originally posted by EveryWhere

It's Full/Full. Literally £6.80 has appeared on my credit card. I hire a car five or six times a year. I've had some amazingly good deals in the last couple of years. Paid 82p for six days in January. We've had no long waits so far but I do fly quite late at night. I've had no issues with them signing off the cars yet.

I do understand your scepticism, it sounds too good to be true, but honestly so far I've had no issues. One thing that does worry me is the 40/50 Euro late charge pick up. With Goldcar it's after 2300. If I was significantly delayed I'd have to pay this. But I think all car hire companies charge for late pick up and some are earlier than 2300.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 13th Sep 18, 12:16 PM
    • 770 Posts
    • 349 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    • 13th Sep 18, 12:16 PM
    • 13th Sep 18, 12:16 PM
    It's Full/Full. Literally £6.80 has appeared on my credit card. I hire a car five or six times a year. I've had some amazingly good deals in the last couple of years. Paid 82p for six days in January. We've had no long waits so far but I do fly quite late at night. I've had no issues with them signing off the cars yet.

I do understand your scepticism, it sounds too good to be true, but honestly so far I've had no issues. One thing that does worry me is the 40/50 Euro late charge pick up. With Goldcar it's after 2300. If I was significantly delayed I'd have to pay this. But I think all car hire companies charge for late pick up and some are earlier than 2300.
    You are right, I am somewhat sceptical of that story. But on the other hand, there is no reason for you to lie.
    • lurkylurky
    • By lurkylurky 13th Sep 18, 12:39 PM
    • 410 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    lurkylurky
    No reason at all to lie. Just sharing my money saving experience on our money saving site.

Also, I've checked my Topcashback account for his morning and £10 has gone in from my purchase of my insurance4carhire yearly excess policy. That's more than covered my three week car hire. Can't get more money saving than that.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 13th Sep 18, 1:39 PM
    • 770 Posts
    • 349 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    No reason at all to lie. Just sharing my money saving experience on our money saving site.

Also, I've checked my Topcashback account for his morning and £10 has gone in from my purchase of my insurance4carhire yearly excess policy. That's more than covered my three week car hire. Can't get more money saving than that.

Did you use a broker to book Goldcar?
    • lurkylurky
    • By lurkylurky 13th Sep 18, 1:54 PM
    • 410 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    lurkylurky
    This time I've used Doyouspain as it was cheapest. Last time it was cheaper to go direct with Goldcar. Just keep my eye on all options, book with free cancellation and if the price comes down significantly, cancel and rebook.
    • photome
    • By photome 13th Sep 18, 5:13 PM
    • 13,480 Posts
    • 8,990 Thanks
    photome
    This time I've used Doyouspain as it was cheapest. Last time it was cheaper to go direct with Goldcar. Just keep my eye on all options, book with free cancellation and if the price comes down significantly, cancel and rebook.
    I was also disbelieved when I posted above.

The family member who goes out regularly usually books through doyouspain
    • lurkylurky
    • By lurkylurky 13th Sep 18, 6:55 PM
    • 410 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    lurkylurky
    I was also disbelieved when I posted above.

The family member who goes out regularly usually books through doyouspain
    Originally posted by photome

I've had some stonkingly good deals over the past few years. I've told no end of people but most of them continue to pay way more than me because it sounds too good to be true. I reckon I've saved enough for another holiday this year. I've got five days booked in November. I've just been looking on Doyouspain. I can get it for around £2.50 with three companies I've not used before and £8.50 with Goldcar. But the fuel policy is full/partial refund so I've not booked yet. I'm hoping they'll do some full/full deals.
    • Migster
    • By Migster 14th Sep 18, 10:41 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Migster

My sister is out there at the moment and has a very similar deal, though with a different company. She's paying €9 for 20 days, though I think she gets a discount that brings it down to sub €8.
    • bigfer
    • By bigfer 19th Sep 18, 8:13 AM
    • 55 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    bigfer
    Malagarcar.com
    I have just returned from fortnight in Malaga. I too noticed extremely cheap car hire in sept. I had booked a car from Budget (via doyouspain) in jan for £230, i then cancelled and rebooked with Record (via doyouspain) in august for £75 then when i checked three days before leaving i could get a bigger car for £9 with Goldcar (via doyouspain).
    I cancelled the Record deal and took the Goldcar one......then looked at the small print and began to sweat. Loads of little caveats: diesel tax, surcharge for pick up at airport, receipts for final fuelling etc etc. So in the end i got cold feet and booked with Malagacar.com direct for £55. (Had to bin the goldcar deal, non-refundable)
    Never used them before as i had always booked on-site, but i have to say i was impressed. Pick up and drop off dead easy. Negligible queuing and no hard sell for insurance. We got a Fiat Dobolo with 85k on the clock, not the flashes car but did the trick. I had to pay 40euro for half tank of diesel, bring back empty, which i used and did not have the chew of filling up on the way back. Also the office location is dead easy to find and drop car off without fighting your way through the gloom of malaga airport returns.
    A quick glance at the car on return, no detailed inspection, only concerned about bullet holes and wings ripped off.
    I have booked with all the great satans of malaga airport car hire. i have spent 2 plus hours queuing. i have had bogus billings from Record and Europecar which were eventually settled. As ever, it is the luck of the draw with car hire, depending how busy they are and what mood the operator is in. I use doyouspain alot and have been happy with the service i received (albeit they are just a broker) however i decided to go with Malagacar.com this year after reading some of their reviews and came to the conclusion, no car hire company can lease a car for a fortnight for only £9 without some other means of recovering their costs.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

269Posts Today

3,833Users online

Martin's Twitter