Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mutley74
    • By mutley74 10th Sep 18, 8:05 PM
    • 3,835Posts
    • 1,351Thanks
    mutley74
    Static IP
    • 10th Sep 18, 8:05 PM
    Static IP 10th Sep 18 at 8:05 PM
    I have my CCTV system connected to the wifi for remote viewing. Problem is when I try remote viewing the IP address changes frequently by my provider, Talk Talk.

I am told I need a static IP address which TT don't supply to domestic users.

Any advice on what I can do or how to enroll in a 3rd party IP address?
Page 1
    • Murmansk
    • By Murmansk 10th Sep 18, 8:16 PM
    • 109 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    Murmansk
    • 10th Sep 18, 8:16 PM
    • 10th Sep 18, 8:16 PM
    You could try something like this

https://www.noip.com/remote-access

not that I have actually tried it
    • Roland Sausage
    • By Roland Sausage 10th Sep 18, 8:17 PM
    • 560 Posts
    • 408 Thanks
    Roland Sausage
    • 10th Sep 18, 8:17 PM
    • 10th Sep 18, 8:17 PM
    Use dynamic DNS instead. DuckDNS is a free provider which I use, and offers many methods of keeping your DDNS updated.

https://www.duckdns.org
    • victor2
    • By victor2 10th Sep 18, 8:23 PM
    • 4,775 Posts
    • 3,187 Thanks
    victor2
    • 10th Sep 18, 8:23 PM
    • 10th Sep 18, 8:23 PM
    You could consider dynamic DNS (DDNS). Lookup the specs for your router to see if it supports that and take it from there.
    • arciere
    • By arciere 11th Sep 18, 12:56 PM
    • 262 Posts
    • 144 Thanks
    arciere
    • 11th Sep 18, 12:56 PM
    • 11th Sep 18, 12:56 PM
    As mentioned, you can use a dynamic DNS provider. Some routers support this, others don't (I don't think the TalkTalk router does). If your router doesn't, you can still run an agent on any computer on the network that keeps your hostname up-to-date with your current IP address.

When I was with Plusnet, I used to have a static IP address, I only paid a one-off 5 fee, no monthly charges.
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 11th Sep 18, 8:38 PM
    • 1,467 Posts
    • 889 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 11th Sep 18, 8:38 PM
    • 11th Sep 18, 8:38 PM
    Depending on the camera solution you can sometimes add the dynamic DNS details to the settings and when your address changes, it will get picked up. You just basically type something like fred.nodns.net or something as opposed to 25.91.152.95 to get to your cameras..

The NO-IP solution is good, you can tie it to other apps as well on your phone, there is a desktop solution as well.

So you don't "need" a static IP as such. TalkTalk can probably provide you with one if you ask but if they do they will charge you more for it. The above solutions are mostly free and just take a bit of configuring to get round the dynamic IP address.
    • that
    • By that 12th Sep 18, 5:55 PM
    • 512 Posts
    • 288 Thanks
    that
    • 12th Sep 18, 5:55 PM
    • 12th Sep 18, 5:55 PM
    Some cameras will email you a photo too. If yours does this you could set up a digital clock and monitor the change of movement over an hour, so it will see movement every hour. When you receive the email it will also probably inform you your current ip even if it is only in the email header.

Admittedly this is not the best answer here, but when in Rome...
    Last edited by that; 12-09-2018 at 7:12 PM.
    • Wilsondrake
    • By Wilsondrake 13th Sep 18, 7:48 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Wilsondrake
    • 13th Sep 18, 7:48 AM
    • 13th Sep 18, 7:48 AM
    For it you will be needing a dedicated IP address. This can easily be done with a VPN, there are not many but very few vpn providers giving away dedicated IP or also called static IP.
    With a dedicated IP you can easily get Secure Remote Access for your CCTV.
    To name a few expressvpn, purevpn and nordvpn provides static IP feature.
    • arciere
    • By arciere 13th Sep 18, 10:06 AM
    • 262 Posts
    • 144 Thanks
    arciere
    • 13th Sep 18, 10:06 AM
    • 13th Sep 18, 10:06 AM
    For it you will be needing a dedicated IP address. This can easily be done with a VPN, there are not many but very few vpn providers giving away dedicated IP or also called static IP.
    With a dedicated IP you can easily get Secure Remote Access for your CCTV.
    To name a few expressvpn, purevpn and nordvpn provides static IP feature.
    Originally posted by Wilsondrake
    VPN to get a static IP? Not sure I follow...
    You would need to run the VPN connection from a router, if it allows you to do that (not sure a TalkTalk router does), otherwise only your computer will be using the tunnel and everything else will be just ignoring it.
    Even if you manage to do that, I don't think you will be able to forward any port at all.
    Much much easier to get a "no-IP" solution rather than over-complicate things with VPN connections.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 13th Sep 18, 11:26 AM
    • 3,816 Posts
    • 3,147 Thanks
    AndyPix
    ^^ The user above with 3 posts is obviously only here to promote various VPN solutions - he has resurrected an age old thread on the subject too ..

Oh and he clearly has no idea what he's talking about
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 13th Sep 18, 9:46 PM
    • 1,467 Posts
    • 889 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    It's not "ages old", it's only two days. Not like they're resurrecting a thread from last year or before.

As to the 3 post individual... Well talk about using a sledgehammer to crack a nut...
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 14th Sep 18, 8:39 AM
    • 3,816 Posts
    • 3,147 Thanks
    AndyPix
    It's not "ages old", it's only two days. Not like they're resurrecting a thread from last year or before.

Originally posted by Neil Jones

^^ Yes it is - It is from 15th March 17 - so well over a year old .

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=74783086

Put your sensible hat on before posting
    • kwikbreaks
    • By kwikbreaks 14th Sep 18, 9:01 AM
    • 8,926 Posts
    • 4,462 Thanks
    kwikbreaks
    Most current CCTV kit supports what they call a P2P solution. It uses an intermediate server presumably run by the manufacturer. I'm not 100% clear on how it works but know that it does.

You set up an account which is paired with your device and when you access your account it links you up with the device. No open ports needed and no static IP. I'm assuming the device accesses the intermediate server to keep it updated. It also works on mobile networks which are NATed so it's more than just its public IP.

http://cctvcamerafactory.com/blog/p2p_ip_camera/
    • arciere
    • By arciere 14th Sep 18, 9:46 AM
    • 262 Posts
    • 144 Thanks
    arciere
    Most current CCTV kit supports what they call a P2P solution. It uses an intermediate server presumably run by the manufacturer. I'm not 100% clear on how it works but know that it does.
    Originally posted by kwikbreaks
    Yes, basically your recorder connects to the manufacturer's servers and you connect to those to see your cameras.
    Personally, if I could choose, I would not do this, the idea that someone in China or Russia or wherever has direct access to all my cameras scares me a bit.
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 14th Sep 18, 5:24 PM
    • 1,467 Posts
    • 889 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    ^^ Yes it is - It is from 15th March 17 - so well over a year old .

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=74783086

Put your sensible hat on before posting
    Originally posted by AndyPix

Your post in this here thread seems to suggest that the 3 post user had bumped this here thread that in your words was "ages old" when in actual fact you were referring to another thread. This here thread is now only four days old.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 16th Sep 18, 6:46 PM
    • 4,740 Posts
    • 4,729 Thanks
    DoaM
    I knew what Andy meant without even having to go looking ...

^^ The user above with 3 posts is obviously only here to promote various VPN solutions - he has resurrected an age old thread on the subject too ..
    Originally posted by AndyPix
    ... the bold word is what made it obvious.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 17th Sep 18, 9:19 AM
    • 3,816 Posts
    • 3,147 Thanks
    AndyPix
    Your post in this here thread seems to suggest that the 3 post user had bumped this here thread that in your words was "ages old" when in actual fact you were referring to another thread. This here thread is now only four days old.
    Originally posted by Neil Jones

Have another read
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

87Posts Today

2,659Users online

Martin's Twitter