Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lexchung
    • By lexchung 10th Sep 18, 3:54 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 1Thanks
    lexchung
    Iphone stopped working,. Can I get the seller to repair / replace it or refund me.
    • 10th Sep 18, 3:54 PM
    Iphone stopped working,. Can I get the seller to repair / replace it or refund me. 10th Sep 18 at 3:54 PM
    I bought an iPhone for my granddaughters birthday two years ago. I paid £400 for it from a company on eBay. Recently the phone stopped working. My granddaughter was browsing the Internet when it all of a sudden went dead. I read in consumer rights that I have to prove that the phone was faulty when I bought it in order to get the seller to do anything about it. But what if the phone didn't have a fault to start with and developed a fault over time. How do I go about making a case to get this repaired or replaced. Its a lot of money to pay for a phone that just lasts two years.
Page 2
    • john22
    • By john22 12th Sep 18, 1:10 PM
    • 618 Posts
    • 454 Thanks
    john22
    Apple would indicate otherwise...

Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    Ah the usual trope rolled out when one is ignorant and canít accept when others do something they canít understand.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 12th Sep 18, 2:23 PM
    • 9,007 Posts
    • 6,739 Thanks
    pmduk
    Ah the usual trope rolled out when one is ignorant and canít accept when others do something they canít understand.
    Originally posted by john22
    Yet you still keep trying to defend the indefensible
    • john22
    • By john22 12th Sep 18, 2:36 PM
    • 618 Posts
    • 454 Thanks
    john22
    Yet you still keep trying to defend the indefensible
    Originally posted by pmduk
    OMG shocking that people spend money on things they like!
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 12th Sep 18, 3:11 PM
    • 2,724 Posts
    • 1,354 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    OMG shocking that people spend money on things they like!
    Point out anywhere on this thread where anyone said otherwise, it's okay we'll wait...

Poking fun at the sheep isn't the same BTW just in case simple facts go over your head.

Why is it that Apple fan boys never ever have a sense of humour when someone has a laugh at their expense? Is it perhaps a deep seated acceptance that they're treated as mugs by Apple but can't acknowledge it even to their selves?
    • john22
    • By john22 12th Sep 18, 3:30 PM
    • 618 Posts
    • 454 Thanks
    john22
    Point out anywhere on this thread where anyone said otherwise, it's okay we'll wait...

Poking fun at the sheep isn't the same BTW just in case simple facts go over your head.

Why is it that Apple fan boys never ever have a sense of humour when someone has a laugh at their expense? Is it perhaps a deep seated acceptance that they're treated as mugs by Apple but can't acknowledge it even to their selves?
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    blah blah blah
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 12th Sep 18, 5:43 PM
    • 7,854 Posts
    • 2,574 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    Marketing just makes you aware of the product. If a product does not fit the customers needs then no amount of marketing will make that product a success.
    What planet do you live on? I work in an industry where the biggest marketing companies have the highest price and the worst service - by far. Yet they carry on doing it and the customers keep popping up after the evnt on review centre warning people to steer clear.
    • john22
    • By john22 12th Sep 18, 6:50 PM
    • 618 Posts
    • 454 Thanks
    john22
    What planet do you live on? I work in an industry where the biggest marketing companies have the highest price and the worst service - by far. Yet they carry on doing it and the customers keep popping up after the evnt on review centre warning people to steer clear.
    Originally posted by mobilejunkie
    I live on a planet that have countless millions of people making decisions to buy products that they want and like and Apple like many other companies deliver what their customers want.

The companies that are no longer in business didnít deliver that to their customers.

Not really that hard to understand is it!
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 12th Sep 18, 7:07 PM
    • 2,724 Posts
    • 1,354 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    blah blah blah
    pointless post
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 12th Sep 18, 7:10 PM
    • 9,007 Posts
    • 6,739 Thanks
    pmduk
    Comes over as an immature youngster who thinks he knows it all
    • john22
    • By john22 12th Sep 18, 7:27 PM
    • 618 Posts
    • 454 Thanks
    john22
    Comes over as an immature youngster who thinks he knows it all
    Nah just someone who calls out people who canít see others liking something they donít.
    • Korkyb
    • By Korkyb 13th Sep 18, 6:07 AM
    • 236 Posts
    • 126 Thanks
    Korkyb
    I wonder if MSE should adopt a version of the Countryside Code?

Sheep worrying is cruel and unnecessary.

Put your sticks down and leave that poor innocent lamb alone!!

Last edited by Korkyb; 13-09-2018 at 6:12 AM. Reason: ...
    • toshi
    • By toshi 13th Sep 18, 2:36 PM
    • 209 Posts
    • 142 Thanks
    toshi
    iPhone 6/7 Design Flaw : Flexion based damage
    what if the phone didn't have a fault to start with and developed a fault over time. How do I go about making a case to get this repaired or replaced. Its a lot of money to pay for a phone that just lasts two years.
    Originally posted by lexchung
    Emphasis added. Yes, this is the real concern. Much worse, the consumers are forced to believe the failure would happen because the products became old (Apple store staff actual said so to my friend about her iPad mini 2 faulty with only 2-3 years use)

It seems that it is important for Apple (and any smartphone) customers to understand what is going on technically and demand the improvement on the durability of the product including hardware support/repair policy.

Independent repair professionals coin the term "Flexion based damage", the problem of which often find iPhone products. We are living in a great time as we can get the first hand expert analysis as below.

https://youtu.be/ZMLVjsaOT0Q?t=22m36s
    https://youtu.be/Lgv7aktFErA?t=8m42s

Anybody who is interested in the board level repair, I would recommend Jessa Jones iPhad rehab YouTube channel.

In comparison with Android device, Apple offers a longer software (iOS) support for 5 years, which is GREAT! Some would justify Apple's higher price as long as Apple offers a decent reasonable hardware support up to 5 years.

I am not saying Apple should offer 5 years hardware warranty, Apple have to offer to 5 years use solution including independent repair services and genuine /3rd party high quality spare parts supply. That would create a wider hardware repair Eco system.

(Please note Apple attempts to kill 3rd party parts supply and independent repair shops)

Apple tried to sue a small iPhone repair shop in Norway, the repair shop won

It seems that Apple attempts to monopolise hardware repair business completely, and do not offer a decent repair service, but offer a refurbished replacement at inflated price.

Like or not, Apple love to control 100% software development including 3rd party application development. Accordingly Apple would be able to offer a high quality software user experience. But this approach doesn't work with hardware support aspects, as far as I know.

I personally am very much concerned about eWaste issue. As Apple (and Samsung) dominates UK market, all of us need to understand what is going on technically and be critical of some of their policies.
    Last edited by toshi; 17-09-2018 at 11:09 AM. Reason: minor correction added link
    • lexchung
    • By lexchung 13th Sep 18, 11:00 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    lexchung
    I bought the phone second hand on ebay. I took it to a mobile phone repair shop and they couldn't find the fault so my daughter took it to an Apple store and they told her it was a fuse wire that had burnt out and that it was unrepairable.
    I thought that there was a law that these things should have
    • Jon 01
    • By Jon 01 14th Sep 18, 8:38 AM
    • 5,144 Posts
    • 1,667 Thanks
    Jon 01
    I bought the phone second hand on ebay. I took it to a mobile phone repair shop and they couldn't find the fault so my daughter took it to an Apple store and they told her it was a fuse wire that had burnt out and that it was unrepairable.
    I thought that there was a law that these things should have
    Originally posted by lexchung
    Not for buying second hand and certainly not after 2 years.
    • almillar
    • By almillar 14th Sep 18, 3:03 PM
    • 7,537 Posts
    • 3,099 Thanks
    almillar
    What would you think, lexchung, if you sold your phone on eBay for £400, and after 2 years the buyer told you it was faulty? Would you assume this was your fault, or theirs?
    • mrochester
    • By mrochester 17th Sep 18, 8:46 PM
    • 1,225 Posts
    • 222 Thanks
    mrochester
    You're always ready to ride to the defence of Apple without adding anything useful.

The fact that Apple will only warrant their products for half the period of other, often cheaper manufacturers is hardly pointless but pretty pertinent on a consumer website.
    I think a better metric to measure Apple by is how long they provide support for their products. The 2013 iPhone 5S just received iOS 12 today. The 2013 Samsung galaxy S4 is running an OS thatís 3 years old. Pretty shocking for a company as big as Samsung. I donít think thereís any other manufacturer who supports products as long as Apple does.

A 2 year warranty on a phone is pretty meaningless when support is also dropped after those 2 years. Better a 1 year warranty and 5 years of support.
    Last edited by mrochester; 17-09-2018 at 8:52 PM.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 19th Sep 18, 8:07 AM
    • 9,007 Posts
    • 6,739 Thanks
    pmduk
    I'm sorry for the late reply, I wanted to give a more considered reply.

I think the main thing to take from your point is that Samsung is following Apple's slippery slope into encouraging customers to buy more handsets by one means or another.

I'm not going to attempt to defend Samsung's lack of support for their handsets, neither manufacturer looks good in your scenario.

The UK market is changing. People are rejecting the new handset every year or two and saving money by going down the SIMO. This is obviously worrying both manufacturers and networks.

At least Samsung owners know their phones have a warranty for the 2 years of any contract they may be in.
    • mrochester
    • By mrochester 19th Sep 18, 8:19 AM
    • 1,225 Posts
    • 222 Thanks
    mrochester
    Your post doesnít make any sense. Apple supports their devices longer than any other manufacturer. Samsung and all other Android manufacturers need to take a leaf out of Apples book and support their devices for much much longer than they currently do.
    • Enterprise 1701C
    • By Enterprise 1701C 19th Sep 18, 8:38 AM
    • 20,027 Posts
    • 212,965 Thanks
    Enterprise 1701C
    Seriously? You buy a second hand phone on Ebay, you have no idea what has happened to it before you bought it, you then expect to be able to use it for two years and promptly have it replaced when it goes faulty.

Normally, any warranty does not get passed on when the phone is sold.

As for proving it was faulty when you bought it, this applies only to new items, and normally requires an engineer's report.

You do not say how old your granddaughter is, as you bought it for her there seems to be a good chance she is a teenager, teenagers and high priced tech really do not mix! TBH you are lucky it lasted this long, I know of one teenager who smashed the screen of her iPhone 7 within 6 weeks of getting it

Take comfort from the fact that this iPhone would probably soon stop being updated anyway, and incapable of using any apps that she has when they get updated, Apple do that in order to get people to replace the phones.

Oh, and Samsung guarantee their phones for 2 years.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
    • mrochester
    • By mrochester 19th Sep 18, 8:45 AM
    • 1,225 Posts
    • 222 Thanks
    mrochester
    We donít actually know what model of iPhone it is.

Apple support their devices for many years longer than Samsung do.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

395Posts Today

3,377Users online

Martin's Twitter