Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MagWag
    • By MagWag 10th Sep 18, 2:36 PM
    • 34Posts
    • 5Thanks
    MagWag
    PPI enquiry confusion - Woolwich/Barclays
    • 10th Sep 18, 2:36 PM
    PPI enquiry confusion - Woolwich/Barclays 10th Sep 18 at 2:36 PM
    Hello,

Earlier in the year I was contacted by a PPI claims company (through Unite) to find out if I would like a free PPI check?

I told them I thought it was very unlikely that I had been mis sold PPI as I had been self employed for many years and was aware that PPI was not applicable to the self employed.

However they convinced me that it was worth enquiring, so I gave them all my details, and after a week or two they came back to me to say that we (my ex husband & I ) had paid ppi I on a Woolwich/Barclays (tracker with loan pot) mortgage taken out in 2002 and still running.

I was very surprised about this, as the mortgage was on a shop...the shop from which we traded and derived our income as self employed people. It was our Barclays business banker who suggested the mortgage to us.

At this point I decided that if I had a valid reason to complain about mis sold PPI I could do it myself. I filled in Barclays online enquiry form - they have two. I used the first general one. because the second one, although it mentions Woolwich loans, says the first one should be used for Woolwich mortgages.

I got a reply from Barclays today but there is no mention of the mortgage, just an old Egg card, and if I remember correctly I cancelled the PPI on that one month after I took it out, when I saw it on my first statement.

I phoned up the contact number on the Barclays letter to ask why there was no mention of the Woolwich/Barclays mortgage, but all the guy could say was that the claims company must have made a mistake! This is unlikely as the claims company came back to me with account info that they had not got directly from me.

So I'm wondering what to do next? Fill in the second enquiry form on the Barclays site or go straight into making a claim using the info from the claims company? Is it better to use Barclays online claim form or the Resolver one?

Any advise from those who have done this would be much appreciated, thank you.
Page 2
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 15th Sep 18, 8:54 AM
    • 94,498 Posts
    • 62,449 Thanks
    dunstonh
    The account wasn't closed, it was simply migrated over to Barclays in 2007 and I kept the account open until 2014. I still feel that if they have destroyed the data, the right thing to do would be to just tell me rather than stringing me along with false promises of 'it's on its way'.
    Originally posted by Shrilly73
    They may not know if it is destroyed or not. They have to search for it first. if they said it was destroyed and then they found it, you would be equally unhappy.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 15th Sep 18, 10:42 AM
    • 20,965 Posts
    • 11,738 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    I still feel that if they have destroyed the data, the right thing to do would be to just tell me rather than stringing me along with false promises of 'it's on its way'.
    Originally posted by Shrilly73
    Whoever has responded to you in the past has clearly been in error somewhere. It seems to me they've already sent you everything that remains.
    Complaining to the ICO about this will get you nowhere if the records no longer exist.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

74Posts Today

3,187Users online

Martin's Twitter