Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Zebbah
    • By Zebbah 10th Sep 18, 8:17 AM
    • 6Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Zebbah
    BW Legal / NCP Court
    • 10th Sep 18, 8:17 AM
    BW Legal / NCP Court 10th Sep 18 at 8:17 AM
    I received a parking ticket in a car park in Sept 2017 and following the advice I have ignored all correspondence but have now ended up with a county court action against me.

I have completed the acknowledgement of service and filed my defence. My main arguement is that the PCN was out of time due to POFA 2012 as it was arrived after 14 days as it was an ANPR notification.

I thought this sufficient grounds to get it thrown out of court but i have now received a directions questionnaire and BW Legal want to pursue the claim.

Is this a Robo-Claim and i just need to go through the motions or should I be concerned? What do you suggest I do?

Any help appreciated. Thanks
    Last edited by Zebbah; 10-09-2018 at 11:15 AM.
Page 1
    • IamEmanresu
    • By IamEmanresu 10th Sep 18, 8:24 AM
    • 3,769 Posts
    • 6,181 Thanks
    IamEmanresu
    • 10th Sep 18, 8:24 AM
    What do they say you did? What was on the signs? Do the two match?

I thought this sufficient grounds to get it thrown out of court
    What did you say in your defence apart from POFA? Was the driver not identified?

If the the driver someone other that you, it is best even at this stage, to show BW evidence of you being elsewhere at the time. It and POFA will either kill it or set you up for costs based on unreasonable behaviour..
    If you want to win - avoid losing first. Here are a few examples
    1. Failing to Acknowledge or Defend https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5760415
    2. Template defences that say nothing https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5818671&page=5#86
    3. Forgetting about the Witness Statement
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 10th Sep 18, 8:24 AM
    • 37,942 Posts
    • 22,054 Thanks
    Quentin
    I received a parking ticket in a car park in Chester in Sept 2017 and following the advice I have ignored all correspondence but have now ended up with a county court action against me.

Is this a Robo-Claim and i just need to go through the motions or should I be concerned? What do you suggest I do?

Any help appreciated. Thanks
    Originally posted by Zebbah

Treat it seriously.

You didn't follow any advice here telling you to ignore the ticket!

Go to the newbies FAQ thread #2 for advice on how to complete the day and the ensuing court proceedings
    Last edited by Quentin; 10-09-2018 at 8:28 AM.
    • Zebbah
    • By Zebbah 10th Sep 18, 8:30 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Zebbah
    • 10th Sep 18, 8:30 AM
    • 10th Sep 18, 8:30 AM
    Putting that a side, if the PCN was served out of time I understood they can’t pursue the keeper?
    Last edited by Zebbah; 10-09-2018 at 10:40 AM.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 10th Sep 18, 8:46 AM
    • 20,237 Posts
    • 31,928 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 10th Sep 18, 8:46 AM
    • 10th Sep 18, 8:46 AM
    unless they know the driver which has not been disclosed?
    Be careful what you write here then. It's a public forum.

If your only line of defence is that they cannot pursue you as keeper, not knowing who the driver was, because they failed to meet the PoFA timeline, what do you think the first question might be that a judge asks you at any hearing?

Can you confirm for us here:

Date of parking infringement?

Date of issue shown on the NtK?

Date of receipt of the NtK?
    Please note, we are not a legal, residential or credit advice forum, rather one that helps motorists fight private parking charges, primarily at the 'front-end' of the process.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 10th Sep 18, 8:51 AM
    • 9,295 Posts
    • 12,221 Thanks
    beamerguy
    • 10th Sep 18, 8:51 AM
    • 10th Sep 18, 8:51 AM
    Did you not get a LBA (Letter before action) from
    BWLegal giving you proof of their claim and also
    giving you 30 days to respond
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • Zebbah
    • By Zebbah 10th Sep 18, 9:04 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Zebbah
    • 10th Sep 18, 9:04 AM
    • 10th Sep 18, 9:04 AM
    [QUOTE=Umkomaas;74770199]Be careful what you write here then. It's a public forum.

If your only line of defence is that they cannot pursue you as keeper, not knowing who the driver was, because they failed to meet the PoFA timeline, what do you think the first question might be that a judge asks you at any hearing?

Can you confirm for us here:

Date of parking infringement? 12th September

Date of issue shown on the NtK? 26th September

Date of receipt of the NtK? 28th September
    • Zebbah
    • By Zebbah 10th Sep 18, 9:08 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Zebbah
    • 10th Sep 18, 9:08 AM
    • 10th Sep 18, 9:08 AM
    Did you not get a LBA (Letter before action) from
    BWLegal giving you proof of their claim and also
    giving you 30 days to respond
    Originally posted by beamerguy
    I got a "Letter of Claim" dated 28th June asking for payment or response by 2nd August but with a paragraph on the second page with 'Particulars of Claim' but no other evidence or supporting documentation.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 10th Sep 18, 9:39 AM
    • 20,237 Posts
    • 31,928 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 10th Sep 18, 9:39 AM
    • 10th Sep 18, 9:39 AM
    The dates you show suggest they are just outside the limit - marginally. If this goes to court, and you are relying on just that one legal argument, you will need to be able to articulate and argue PoFA with real knowledge, understanding and confidence.
    Please note, we are not a legal, residential or credit advice forum, rather one that helps motorists fight private parking charges, primarily at the 'front-end' of the process.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • Zebbah
    • By Zebbah 10th Sep 18, 9:52 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Zebbah
    Thank you. I have other arguments on signage, process etc

Just a quick couple of questions:
    1. Once the DQ has been sent in will it take c20 weeks to get to trial as suggested in the Newbee Post?
    2. If the PPC is to cave in when can I expect that to happen - just before trial or do you think they will run it anyway?
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 10th Sep 18, 10:14 AM
    • 37,942 Posts
    • 22,054 Thanks
    Quentin
    Throughout here you are advised never to reveal who was driving.

The ppcs monitor this forum and can use your posts against you.

Edit your post to remove details of who was driving
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 10th Sep 18, 10:21 AM
    • 20,237 Posts
    • 31,928 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    Thank you. I have other arguments on signage, process etc

Just a quick couple of questions:
    1. Once the DQ has been sent in will it take c20 weeks to get to trial as suggested in the Newbee Post?
    2. If the PPC is to cave in when can I expect that to happen - just before trial or do you think they will run it anyway?
    1. That seems to be around the mark ~5-6 months.

2. Could be at any time, possibly not at all. The BWL/NCP axis is quite new - last couple of months - so none as yet has run its full course. None, to my knowledge, have yet been discontinued, none have yet progressed to court. This may all be a 'scare' tactic, a further slant on debt collection, but you can't take any risks by being complacent.

Glad you've got other points in your defence.
    • Zebbah
    • By Zebbah 14th Sep 18, 10:28 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Zebbah
    an update on my case:

I have now received the DQ from the court and I have completed this as per the advice and sent this to the BWL and the court.

Notwithstanding this I have today received a “without prejudice offer save as to costs” to settle from BW Legal for a reduced amount if I agree in 14 days. £180 instead of £250.

They have criticised my defence that it is a “cut and paste” nonsensical defence and irrelevant and would not stand up in court.

Stange to make an offer but say I don’t stand a chance?

Any thoughts?
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 14th Sep 18, 10:53 PM
    • 63,875 Posts
    • 76,527 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    That's a template cut & paste letter!

Ignore it.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT UNLESS IN SCOTLAND OR NI
    TWO Clicks needed Look up, top of the page:
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 14th Sep 18, 11:03 PM
    • 9,295 Posts
    • 12,221 Thanks
    beamerguy
    an update on my case:

I have now received the DQ from the court and I have completed this as per the advice and sent this to the BWL and the court.

Notwithstanding this I have today received a “without prejudice offer save as to costs” to settle from BW Legal for a reduced amount if I agree in 14 days. £180 instead of £250.

They have criticised my defence that it is a “cut and paste” nonsensical defence and irrelevant and would not stand up in court.

Stange to make an offer but say I don’t stand a chance?

Any thoughts?
    WHOOPS ... sounds like they think they will not win.

This robo claim lot could not even copy and paste seeing
    the rubbish they come out with

That is why they get whooped in court.

Very unprofessional to say that, but BWL are not professional
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

81Posts Today

2,343Users online

Martin's Twitter