Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 10th Sep 18, 6:58 AM
    • 7,043Posts
    • 41,566Thanks
    determined new ms
    What small DFW things will you do w/c 10th September?
    • 10th Sep 18, 6:58 AM
    What small DFW things will you do w/c 10th September? 10th Sep 18 at 6:58 AM
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important!
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling 2017 3016.55/Roadkill 8.73
    Wombling 2018 145.73/RK 0.04
Page 5
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 13th Sep 18, 5:46 PM
    • 4,127 Posts
    • 35,354 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Wow. I am shattered this week.
    NSD as I've been too busy. Finished work early, did a couple of jobs in the house and now very much looking forward to an early night.
    I will catch up properly by the weekend.
    November in NY #20 NSD = 9 1 debt vs 100 days 328.51/1685
    DFD #1: 6 Nov 15 - paid 28,447
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 13th Sep 18, 6:11 PM
    • 1,827 Posts
    • 14,198 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    I've really enjoyed hearing about all your book reading and crafting and of course seeing CLF AMAZING creation. Maybe we should add a forum for book club / craft (knit / crochet / sew etc) online club? I have no idea quite how that would work but it's great seeing pictures of what everyone's up to and trying new books isn't it?
    Originally posted by E11ie

Thank Ellie! There's a reading thread on the Old style forum

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5766465

And crafts:

Sewing:
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5570507

Knitting:
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=718513

HTH
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: 10,490.31

SAVINGS: 10,000!
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 13th Sep 18, 8:11 PM
    • 4,372 Posts
    • 28,290 Thanks
    allydowd
    News:

New online tool to check if you are eligible for free NHS prescriptions in England. (Link)

Please be patient(!) they're still getting the page up and running.

Last edited by allydowd; 13-09-2018 at 8:13 PM.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015
    The Joy Account: 5
    Bold 100 Miles Bicycle Bonanza Challenge: Completed
    Run 25 Miles for Sanity Challenge: Completed
    "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
    • Olliegami
    • By Olliegami 13th Sep 18, 9:46 PM
    • 380 Posts
    • 786 Thanks
    Olliegami
    Hi again people!

I've been lurking for a while (again). It's a super long story, which I will save for another day. I'm starting a university course, I only owe money to a friend (as opposed to banks!). I'm appealing a refusal for PIP (on the grounds that I got on so well with the assessor I can't possibly have a mental health condition!!!!)

With only my student maintenance loan I've been working on a budget and it doesn't look so good.

So, here's hoping I can scrape back in a few areas. I don't think this is the right place for a SOA though!

Keep up the great work guys, and the awesome tips. =P
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 14th Sep 18, 7:07 AM
    • 2,417 Posts
    • 16,421 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Morning it's payday luckily my meeting in another town has been cancelled so I can work from home today will include:

Big budget day and getting money in all the right places
    Something from meal plan/freezer for tea
    DH has Home made soup and flapjack for lunch
    Check for surveys
    Decide what we might want to focus on this months in starting to use none plastic products
    Help a friend out tonight watching her smalls for an hour so she can do something
    Find 6 library books ready to take back, have just renewed online so have some time but it might take a while to round them up
    Put some more food prices in my bullet journal

Have a good day. Purps.
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 14th Sep 18, 7:53 AM
    • 4,372 Posts
    • 28,290 Thanks
    allydowd
    Hi September Savers,

Morning!Work today. 2 more work days before our holiday.

Debt-Free-Nillionaire Continuity Plan Year Four:

* Check online banking. Done.

* Take medication. Done.

* Turn alarm clock off at the wall til tonight. Done.

* Get some exercise.

* Packed lunch for work and coffee sachets.

To be continued....

Things don't have to be perfect to be wonderful.
    "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
    • merida88
    • By merida88 14th Sep 18, 8:52 AM
    • 41 Posts
    • 355 Thanks
    merida88
    Morning all - thanks for the welcome

Successfully didn't open the purse yesterday, but today has started with 556.53 leaving it

HOWEVER, this is actually great. This is the bill for diagnostics, a repair, major service and MOT on our car - just the minor service and MOT at a branded garage cost about the same last year (that'll teach us). More importantly I have the cash in the dedicated "car savings" pot, - no dipping into overdraft or adding to the CC balance. I cannot tell you how relieved and joyful I feel

Today's other activities planned:
    • bike to work & home for lunch (plain ol' ham sandwich today, no leftovers from last night!)
    • take out worn bolt from mudguard fixing to see if we have a suitable replacement in the toolbox
    • gym tonight to make use of membership (normally go 3-4 times/week, this week been struck down with lurgy)
    • make no-knead bread - doing it's thing ready for supper tonight
    • check if i have suitable needles for a quick baby knit

Have a lovely Friday everyone!
    • daydreamsofaunicorn
    • By daydreamsofaunicorn 14th Sep 18, 12:34 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 245 Thanks
    daydreamsofaunicorn
    Hi Everyone! Not long woke up from my post nightshift nap, watching GBBO then going to crack on with my list - got lots to do this weekend. Today's plans:

1. Check bank
    2. Update spending diary from last few days
    3. Sort through pile of paperwork
    4. Make sure debt spreadsheet is up to date
    5. Meal plan for the coming week
    6. Write out shopping list for tomorrow
    7. Put at least 5 things on Ebay
    8. Nip to Aldi as I forgot to take chicken out the freezer for tonight's dinner
    9. Stick to shopping list when I go to Aldi
    10. Get petrol
    11. Post everything that I have on Gumtree onto Facebook market place
    12. Package Ebay items
    13. Post Ebay items
    14. Message the car boot sale I'm hoping to go to on Sunday and make sure I can hire a table
    15. Go to bank for change for car booty
    16. Start sorting through car boot sale things and make sure the booty is the best place for them.

Hope everyone has a fantastic day!
    xx
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 14th Sep 18, 3:16 PM
    • 424 Posts
    • 8,939 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    Afternoon all,
    to everyone to those who need it
    Welcome to lurkers and newbies

Most of my day has been taken up by doing a mini makeover in our snug - we've swapped rugs/throws and cushions with my parents - so a completely new look for no cost
    Also made a little table using bits and pieces from the garage, its the perfect size for a silly little gap I had and really practical oh and no cost This has then meant we can cancel our planned ikea visit saving 50 on 2 new side tables and whatever we'd have spent on lunch
    Today's list
    Switch dss alarm clock off at the wall for the daytime done
    Go to gym after dropping the kids off to make the most of my membership. Will fill up water bottle and have a shower there. done
    Went to sainsbugs to buy a game I want for dss birthday next month, bought it now as I was able to use an 8 off a 40 MOC done
    Rm surveys done
    Triage fridge to make sure nothing goes to waste done
    Check banking/update spreadsheet done
    Hoover round everywhere done
    All meals from stores done
    Get the freezer list back up to date done
    Check surveys, I'm a close to payout on for one site.
    Continue going through my cupboards and reorganising/get rid of anything not needed to the charity shop/tip done, moved shorts out of kids wardrobes and added a couple of them to the cs bag

Take care all.

[/FONT]
    Last edited by 1LuckyLady; 14-09-2018 at 5:29 PM.
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 14th Sep 18, 5:50 PM
    • 4,405 Posts
    • 23,510 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Hello Friday Frugal People,
    Another day of keeping busy to knock a few points off the stress levels. Rubbish nights sleep too due to bizarre cramp which had me out of bed hobbling around the bedroom in the dark like an ancient crone!
    *Cleaned whole house using minimal products & washable cloths. Made up another bottle of cleaning solution by diluting some 'Basics' in a recycled spray bottle.
    *Unblocked bathroom basin again. I like the 'cleanse & polish' type of cleansers & I'm wondering if the oily residue of these builds up in the drainage pipes. Anyway, hot water & the sink plunger improved matters.
    *Baked a granary loaf.
    *Picked more courgettes, cherry tomatoes & french beans.
    *Checked sweetcorn. Not quite ripe still, so will leave for another week, esp as it's supposed to be quite sunny on & off next week.
    *Did a Prolific Academic survey - up to over 6 again, which isn't bad seeing as I'd had a break from them. I much prefer their new website to the previous version.
    *Knitted more of the Christmas gift I'm working on.
    *Two baths from one lot of hot water. I really would like to revisit all my little energy-saving ways to check they are still in place & not falling by the wayside.
    *Set washer on timer for a half-price overnight load.
    That's all for today. Hospital visiting again tomorrow so must remember to get a packed lunch made & maybe a flask.
    Love to all,
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = 470-01
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = 320 2016 = 210 2017 = 304 2018 = 403
    • Baileys Babe
    • By Baileys Babe 14th Sep 18, 7:05 PM
    • 2,317 Posts
    • 11,461 Thanks
    Baileys Babe
    Where has this week gone? It is flying by.

Today has mainly been spent taking the children to sports training in a local city, which involves us being out of the house for 5 hours, for them each to receive an hours tuition and hours supervised practice, as their tuition is at different times. As of next week, we are transferring their training to the town in which we live & they will receive tuition at the same time, we will save masses of time a week as well as fuel

We have also managed to do some lessons.

Today's achievements:
    PAD
    RM survey
    Started renovating an old table we own, if it turns out well we will use this instead of our dining table
    Home educated the children
    Renewed library loans
    Freeze bananas for that are very soft for smoothies etc
    Update freezer inventory
    Only planned spending
    Make bread
    B/L/D from stores
    Stick to meal plan
    Soak porridge overnight
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 14th Sep 18, 8:32 PM
    • 4,372 Posts
    • 28,290 Thanks
    allydowd
    Freeze bananas for that are very soft for smoothies etc
    Originally posted by Baileys Babe

Yikes! I was literally just going to post and ask if bananas can be frozen?!?
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 14th Sep 18, 10:45 PM
    • 2,417 Posts
    • 16,421 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Yikes! I was literally just going to post and ask if bananas can be frozen?!?
    Originally posted by allydowd
    But peel them first I find works better.
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 15th Sep 18, 7:00 AM
    • 2,417 Posts
    • 16,421 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Morning all

A small decided an early start would be good on a Saturday at least I can get some stuff done:

Ordered some uniform online, used a cashback site and a discount voucher - done
    Make a cake - done
    Make some dough for homemade pizzas - done
    Make garlic bread - proving under a free shower cap from a hotel I've never used
    Triage fruit bowl, use up anything that's needed - 2 pears, will make a pudding later
    Clean through
    Dry some tomato seeds - thanks for the idea determined
    Pick some more tomatoes

Edited to add....
    I've also:
    Made soup
    Made a spinach and feta tart
    Cleaned 2 shelves of the fridge whilst they were empty
    Empty a small drawer unit from the spare room
    Gone through the present box and updated my spreadsheet for Christmas and birthday gifts so it can now go in the loft as no birthdays between now and December apart from any parties the smalls get invited to.
    Found a Christmas card I bought in the same and put in my card box
    Went through fleabay bag and decided what I'll list and what I'll charity shop
    Reunited a hood in said bag with a coat that's still warn.

Right, off to list on fleabay whilst the bread proves
    Last edited by PurpleFairy26; 15-09-2018 at 11:11 AM.
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 15th Sep 18, 7:30 AM
    • 7,043 Posts
    • 41,566 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Morning purps glad you're going to try saving some seeds, it's pretty easy

Work today still feeling very aggrieved at work, it's really having an impact on my MH must try not to let my mood slip into depression as feel low....

* Have made B/L/D and snacks to take to work
    * sort out load of washing
    * taking calendar to work to request leave/days off for the rest of the year
    * check onepoll
    * madam going to swimming lessons
    * might go swimming after work - will take stuff and see how I feel...
    * read book

Ok that's all I can think of! Have a lovely Saturday guys
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling 2017 3016.55/Roadkill 8.73
    Wombling 2018 145.73/RK 0.04
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 15th Sep 18, 7:57 AM
    • 4,372 Posts
    • 28,290 Thanks
    allydowd
    Hi September Savers,

Morning!Work today. 1 more work day before our holiday and I'm gonna be rushed off my feet.

Hugs DNM and anyone else who isn't having the best of days today.

Nothing exciting on my list today.

Debt-Free-Nillionaire Continuity Plan Year Four:

* Check online banking. Done.

* Take medication. Done.

* Turn alarm clock off at the wall til tonight. Done.

* Packed lunch for work and coffee sachets. Done.

To be continued....

Things don't have to be perfect to be wonderful.
    Last edited by allydowd; 15-09-2018 at 8:00 PM.
    • Baileys Babe
    • By Baileys Babe 15th Sep 18, 8:25 AM
    • 2,317 Posts
    • 11,461 Thanks
    Baileys Babe
    PurpleFairy Good point about peeling the bananas first, I always do, that way I can use them straight from frozen. Usually in smoothies, cake feeding to babies. A friend used to stuff chicken breasts with banana, surprisingly tasty.

This afternoon we are out for a family members birthday celebratory meal. My parents are coming back with us and staying the night.

Today's list:
    Make bread
    Home educate children for free
    Set dw to run overnight
    Clean bathroom
    Clean d/s toilet
    PAD
    Clean & tidy the fridge
    Meal plan
    Write shopping list
    Put away wholesale shopping
    Give each room down stairs a 15 minute room rescue
    Turn off lights and appliances when not in use
    • datlex
    • By datlex 15th Sep 18, 10:31 AM
    • 1,820 Posts
    • 1,724 Thanks
    datlex
    My stay out of debt small thing for this week is to scan in and then shred old paper work that has been sitting around for ages to create more space so I don't need to buy more folders to store it in, and also have more space to put things away.
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 15th Sep 18, 12:10 PM
    • 4,127 Posts
    • 35,354 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Hello!
    I didn't check in last night as I was absolutely shattered and I had a very stressful evening. Tried to nap on the sofa but got woken by someone knocking on the door, then ex turned up at the house and I struggled to get him to leave. However, I was in bed by 10 and slept ok ish. Got up early this morning and went to get the shopping done and out of the way - between Aldee, Mr A and Mr S. They are all in the same town and it helps me to get my steps up a bit.
    Just catching up on here before lunch and then heading out to see bestie for a coffee and catch up. Whilst I've had plenty of sleep I feel quite stressed out if I'm being honest.
    Bought lots of cheap veggies at Aldee this morning on the super 6 and I'm going to do a bit of batch cooking later in preparation for the week ahead.
    Financial worries rumble on, but I have managed to get Apple to refund the money YNAB took without my permission. How ironic a budgeting app sent me overdrawn for 2 months in a row. I'll just need to find a different way to budget.
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 15th Sep 18, 12:12 PM
    • 4,127 Posts
    • 35,354 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    DNMS - sorry to hear that work is getting to you so much...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,179Posts Today

8,887Users online

Martin's Twitter