Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Chrisv
    • By Chrisv 9th Sep 18, 9:36 PM
    • 4,422Posts
    • 78,668Thanks
    Chrisv
    Slimming for Halloween - Slimming World support thread 2018
    • 9th Sep 18, 9:36 PM
    Slimming for Halloween - Slimming World support thread 2018 9th Sep 18 at 9:36 PM
    Shiny new thread, with all the info carried over as follows:-

Slimming World and Food Optimising is a plan for life, it's not a quick fix and you should look at weight losses over a period of time. There are no prizes for speed of weight loss.

You need to commit to making changes to the food that you buy and how you cook it, because what you've been doing in the past hasn't got you to where you want to be.

You can't use parts of the plan that suit you and forget the rest.

If you are not prepared to make a commitment to change the behaviour that has got you into your current situation then nothing is going to change, and above all things, you need to be honest and accountable for every single mouthful of food that passes your lips.

You need to care enough to take time out to pre-plan your slimming campaign. Look again at the menu plans and see the variety and volume of food you can eat. All you have to lose is the weight.

Slimming World has been successfully helping people lose weight for over forty years, so trust them and read your Food Optimising books again and again.

Food Optimising is easy but life isn't. Losing weight is a battle but you have the battle plan in your food optimising book, your secret weapon is free food, and that, together with your healthy extras and syns add up to a healthy way of eating that can (and should) be a life plan. Success is there waiting for you, go for it!

If you fancy having a go at EE, here are the official 'rules' to ensure that you not only lose weight regularly but get all the nutrition your body needs to function well:-

Extra Easy:

1: Choose your Free Food

Most of the food you eat should come from the free foods list; so that's pasta, rice, potatoes, lean meat, poultry, fish, fruit and vegetables.

And for super-fast, super healthy results, fill one third of your plate with Speed Foods!

2: Choose your Healthy Extras

Each day select one Healthy Extra choice and one Healthy Extra choice from our simplified list of calcium and fibre-filled foods, including milk, cheese, bread, nuts and cereal.

3: Enjoy 5-15 Syns each day

-------------------------------------------------------------

If you find your weight loss has slowed down or stopped, check:-

1. Whether everything you're counting as Free, is Free

2. Whether you're under-estimating Syn values (over-estimate if guessing)

3. Whether you're counting everything that should be counted

4. Whether you're measuring everything that should be measured

5. Whether you're sabotaging your success in any other way (using SAS logs will help uncover individual long-term self-sabotage patterns) and, if none of these is the culprit, either...........

A: increase the proportion of Speed Foods to half of your plate
    B: switch to more Speed Foods

or

C: try Extra Easy SP - details are on this link - https://www.minimins.com/threads/extra-easy-sp-plan.348340/

And above all, if you follow the plan, any plan, 100% you will lose weight!

Remember we are all here to support each other, and to have fun, and to share in any little disappointments.

Link to the List of Healthy Extras as at April 14

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=66049704&postcount=4853

List of Speed foods here - Fruits & Vegetables
    Last edited by Chrisv; 09-09-2018 at 9:39 PM.
    Not wanting something is as good as possessing it – Donald Horban
Page 4
    • Matron Midge
    • By Matron Midge 14th Sep 18, 9:12 AM
    • 486 Posts
    • 4,173 Thanks
    Matron Midge
    I'm fed up! STS for me. I thought I'd done really well. Hopefully my hard work and abstinence will show when I next weigh in!
    It's very autumnal here now. Makes me think of soups and stews. Trouble is, the rest of the gang like dumplings or crusty bread with them and I know I'll be tempted to do/have the same.
    Plan for today is :-
    B weetabix (Hea and Heb)
    L Spanish ommlette with salad
    D chicken curry with rice and (maybe as a starter) pinch of nom onion bhajees sw raita and a tomato/onion salad
    Syns mint sauce and gin - not together lol

Tomorrow will be a challenge. It is the last cricket of the season and will definitely involve loads of syns in the form of alcohol. I'm their tea lady and they want me to go to their end of season bash. I'm flattered they want me around and will go but probably will leave before they get sloshed and definitely before the 18 pre ordered pizzas arrive!! Wish me luck! There are 15 players in the squad, coach and scorer and me. Last year they all bought a round so you can imagine the state of them. I will buy the first round and then I can get off whenever I want.

Have a good day and I'll catch up with you all later.
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 14th Sep 18, 4:14 PM
    • 52,868 Posts
    • 627,913 Thanks
    bubbs
    Afternoon all
    Quiet here , where is SSM?
    Beanie hope you are ok too?
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    :5 st 4 lb
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 14th Sep 18, 4:22 PM
    • 52,868 Posts
    • 627,913 Thanks
    bubbs
    Maman, i know you have alot of pickles, did you know they are just free now not speed?
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 14th Sep 18, 4:25 PM
    • 5,352 Posts
    • 39,919 Thanks
    joedenise
    When did that change Bubbs? Not seen or heard about that.

Denise
    • majorica
    • By majorica 14th Sep 18, 5:00 PM
    • 410 Posts
    • 4,091 Thanks
    majorica
    Hello, does anyone know if you are a target member but not been to get weighted in for at least a year, can you go back to class and not pay even after all that time if you are still within the 3lb range?
    Also lost my membership card but still got the book that showed I was at target, do you think they will accept that?
    Going to a new class tomorrow to give support to DD who just can't do it at home, we have tried and tried and she is getting despondant about it now also needs an op and has been told she needs to lose weight for it.
    I'm not sure if I am still in my target range tbh but i've got my fingers crossed.
    • maman
    • By maman 14th Sep 18, 5:26 PM
    • 18,418 Posts
    • 109,946 Thanks
    maman
    I didn't get to post yesterday so sorry if I've missed losses.

Maman, i know you have alot of pickles, did you know they are just free now not speed?
    Originally posted by bubbs

Denise
    Originally posted by joedenise

No I didn't know that bubbs. What's the reasoning behind that then? So would that be braised red cabbage Speed, pickled cabbage just free or HM boiled beetroot Speed, pickled beetroot free. That's crazy!! If it's true I might be ignoring that.
    ETA: I just checked syns online and gherkins are still Speed. Has anyone ever eaten a gherkin that's not pickled?

I don't know the answer majorica. There are lots of posters here who are on the social teams so they might know. I do remember there's some way of rejoining and keeping your target but I can't remember how it's done. I'm sure tomorrow's consultant can explain and you can decide whether it's worth it. They're hardly likely to throw you out.

Yesterday I was out for lunch and dinner. I did make SW friendly choices as far as possible but definitely not all on plan. I've been on plan today so far but tonight we're out for dinner again. It's my DH's birthday today so lots of celebrations going on. These will be going on through next week too but I'll have good days in between so I won't stray too far from my target range. I hope.
    Last edited by maman; 14-09-2018 at 5:32 PM.
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 14th Sep 18, 6:42 PM
    • 52,868 Posts
    • 627,913 Thanks
    bubbs

Denise
    Denise, i don't know read it online and its been a while apparently

I didn't get to post yesterday so sorry if I've missed losses.

No I didn't know that bubbs. What's the reasoning behind that then? So would that be braised red cabbage Speed, pickled cabbage just free or HM boiled beetroot Speed, pickled beetroot free. That's crazy!! If it's true I might be ignoring that.
    ETA: I just checked syns online and gherkins are still Speed. Has anyone ever eaten a gherkin that's not pickled?

I don't know the answer majorica. There are lots of posters here who are on the social teams so they might know. I do remember there's some way of rejoining and keeping your target but I can't remember how it's done. I'm sure tomorrow's consultant can explain and you can decide whether it's worth it. They're hardly likely to throw you out.

Yesterday I was out for lunch and dinner. I did make SW friendly choices as far as possible but definitely not all on plan. I've been on plan today so far but tonight we're out for dinner again. It's my DH's birthday today so lots of celebrations going on. These will be going on through next week too but I'll have good days in between so I won't stray too far from my target range. I hope.
    Originally posted by maman
    I know its strange but i knew you liked it, they said something to do with the vinegar ? so like you i went and looked cause thought they were talking out there bum but no they wasnt
    Gherkins are yuk but only speed if not pickled
    Last edited by bubbs; 14-09-2018 at 6:47 PM.
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 14th Sep 18, 8:01 PM
    • 52,868 Posts
    • 627,913 Thanks
    bubbs
    Maman, beetroot is 29p in s6 in Aldi
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 14th Sep 18, 9:15 PM
    • 56,771 Posts
    • 230,903 Thanks
    beanielou
    Great result Stoke
    GReat start to your challange
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • curl girl
    • By curl girl 14th Sep 18, 9:19 PM
    • 3,248 Posts
    • 33,854 Thanks
    curl girl
    Noticed that they are dated Feb 2019 as well!

STS for me.

Expected a loss but I haven't done as much exercise this week.
    curl girl with a space - even though there is no space in my cupboard!!!
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 14th Sep 18, 9:28 PM
    • 56,771 Posts
    • 230,903 Thanks
    beanielou
    Afternoon all
    Quiet here , where is SSM?
    Beanie hope you are ok too?
    Yes, ok, thanks.
    Plodding on.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 15th Sep 18, 9:14 AM
    • 52,868 Posts
    • 627,913 Thanks
    bubbs
    Pickled gherkins,onions and beetroot my consultant says they are still speed, any thing that is canned,pickled that is speed does not show the speed symbol apparently, so as you were
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    • maman
    • By maman 15th Sep 18, 12:12 PM
    • 18,418 Posts
    • 109,946 Thanks
    maman
    Pickled gherkins,onions and beetroot my consultant says they are still speed, any thing that is canned,pickled that is speed does not show the speed symbol apparently, so as you were

That's a relief! You're right I do eat a lot of pickles. I generally have 2 types on the go and have them with bubble & squeak or JPs or omelettes as a side at lunchtime.

That's great news. I'll stock up.

I'm going to do my meal plan and shop later today. We're out fro 3 more meals this week so I won't need much.

More sensible SW choices last night but rather too many wine syns.

Today's EE plan:
    B: NAS grapefruit, HEB Weetabix, HEA milk
    L: JP with cottage cheese and cornichons and jalapenos (Speed!)
    D: Lamb Rogan Josh with HM pilau
    Syns: curry 1.5, hair of dog??
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 15th Sep 18, 2:15 PM
    • 5,352 Posts
    • 39,919 Thanks
    joedenise
    Whar recipe do you use for the pilau Maman? Get a bit fed up with plain boiled rice. Having keema curry and rice for dinner tonight!

Denise
    • pixielottie
    • By pixielottie 15th Sep 18, 3:47 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    pixielottie
    maman - we have all eaten none pickled gherkins, a gherkin is just pickled cucumber

I am so glad we've decided pickled things are still speed, I love anything pickled, even things I don't like unpickled, like eggs! (not that they are ever speed...). But I eat a jar of gherkins a week !

I am so hungry today! And I've already had my syns, just had the horrible task of sending decline emails for a craft fair, so had a bag of mini ginerbread men (6syns) and a packet of pufts (3.5). I think it's because I'm a bit cold, it's making me want all the food. Talking of gherkins I have a new jar I might have to go try and figure out something that's syn free to have them with
    anything's possible if you've got enough nerve
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 15th Sep 18, 4:03 PM
    • 4,002 Posts
    • 10,126 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    Afternoon all

Well done all to those that have lost & cwtchs to the gainers.

WI today saw a - 1lb meaning I got (finally!) my 4.5 stone award which also means I've got only (she says!) 7lbs to target....so I should reach target next September lol.

I'm definitely going to try and go swimming this week - I haven't been for months - and have mentally decided that if I don't go this month I will cancel my membership....I pay enough council tax as it is without giving the council more for no reason!

Plan on having chilli with a baked potato tonight for tea and have bought a pie for tomorrow's dinner with vegetables....the pie might not be very sw but I will only have a sliver (honest!!!)

Maman -do you have to microwave the unfrozen baked potato for long? I must admit I'm becoming a fan of the baked potato but it's not always practical to cook from the start during the week so this would be really useful
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
    • curl girl
    • By curl girl 15th Sep 18, 4:36 PM
    • 3,248 Posts
    • 33,854 Thanks
    curl girl
    I microwave frozen baked potato for 5 mins from frozen, unwrapped from the cling film.
    curl girl with a space - even though there is no space in my cupboard!!!
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 15th Sep 18, 4:46 PM
    • 5,352 Posts
    • 39,919 Thanks
    joedenise
    pixielottie believe it or not before the EE plan came out eggs were a SuperFree food, which is the equivalent of Speed foods now!

GTS If you want to batch cook jacket potatoes then cook them in the oven. Once cooled, freeze. To reheat in microwave cook for 5 minutes. Hope that answers your question.

Denise
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 15th Sep 18, 5:15 PM
    • 52,868 Posts
    • 627,913 Thanks
    bubbs
    Afternoon all
    Well done to all the losers
    gettingtheresometime very well done on your 4 1/2 stone
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    • maman
    • By maman 15th Sep 18, 7:11 PM
    • 18,418 Posts
    • 109,946 Thanks
    maman
    If you like gherkins pixielottie , you should try Lidl cornichons. They're crunchier than gherkins with a lovely nutty taste. I love them.

Whar recipe do you use for the pilau Maman? Get a bit fed up with plain boiled rice. Having keema curry and rice for dinner tonight!

Denise
    Change of plan here, decided to eat up some chicken from the freezer rather than buying curry.

My pilau recipe is really simple compared with some that have onions and more spices. This is for about 4 portions ( depending on the cup size) but you can double it up. I freeze it in 250g portions for 2 of us as we usually have chips as well!

2 cups basmati, 2 tsps turmeric, 2 Bay leaves, 8 cardamom pods, 8 cloves, salt, 3 cups stock (I use chicken). Spray rice in saucepan and stir to coat. Turn on heat, add salt and spices. Add stock and simmer with lid on until all liquid absorbed.

What I like about it is that it's syn free and much better value than the microwave pouches.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,621Posts Today

8,089Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin