Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Chrisv
    • By Chrisv 9th Sep 18, 9:36 PM
    • 4,523Posts
    • 79,141Thanks
    Chrisv
    Slimming for Halloween - Slimming World support thread 2018
    • 9th Sep 18, 9:36 PM
    Slimming for Halloween - Slimming World support thread 2018 9th Sep 18 at 9:36 PM
    Shiny new thread, with all the info carried over as follows:-

Slimming World and Food Optimising is a plan for life, it's not a quick fix and you should look at weight losses over a period of time. There are no prizes for speed of weight loss.

You need to commit to making changes to the food that you buy and how you cook it, because what you've been doing in the past hasn't got you to where you want to be.

You can't use parts of the plan that suit you and forget the rest.

If you are not prepared to make a commitment to change the behaviour that has got you into your current situation then nothing is going to change, and above all things, you need to be honest and accountable for every single mouthful of food that passes your lips.

You need to care enough to take time out to pre-plan your slimming campaign. Look again at the menu plans and see the variety and volume of food you can eat. All you have to lose is the weight.

Slimming World has been successfully helping people lose weight for over forty years, so trust them and read your Food Optimising books again and again.

Food Optimising is easy but life isn't. Losing weight is a battle but you have the battle plan in your food optimising book, your secret weapon is free food, and that, together with your healthy extras and syns add up to a healthy way of eating that can (and should) be a life plan. Success is there waiting for you, go for it!

If you fancy having a go at EE, here are the official 'rules' to ensure that you not only lose weight regularly but get all the nutrition your body needs to function well:-

Extra Easy:

1: Choose your Free Food

Most of the food you eat should come from the free foods list; so that's pasta, rice, potatoes, lean meat, poultry, fish, fruit and vegetables.

And for super-fast, super healthy results, fill one third of your plate with Speed Foods!

2: Choose your Healthy Extras

Each day select one Healthy Extra choice and one Healthy Extra choice from our simplified list of calcium and fibre-filled foods, including milk, cheese, bread, nuts and cereal.

3: Enjoy 5-15 Syns each day

-------------------------------------------------------------

If you find your weight loss has slowed down or stopped, check:-

1. Whether everything you're counting as Free, is Free

2. Whether you're under-estimating Syn values (over-estimate if guessing)

3. Whether you're counting everything that should be counted

4. Whether you're measuring everything that should be measured

5. Whether you're sabotaging your success in any other way (using SAS logs will help uncover individual long-term self-sabotage patterns) and, if none of these is the culprit, either...........

A: increase the proportion of Speed Foods to half of your plate
    B: switch to more Speed Foods

or

C: try Extra Easy SP - details are on this link - https://www.minimins.com/threads/extra-easy-sp-plan.348340/

And above all, if you follow the plan, any plan, 100% you will lose weight!

Remember we are all here to support each other, and to have fun, and to share in any little disappointments.

Link to the List of Healthy Extras as at April 14

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=66049704&postcount=4853

List of Speed foods here - Fruits & Vegetables
    Last edited by Chrisv; 09-09-2018 at 9:39 PM.
    Not wanting something is as good as possessing it Ė Donald Horban
Page 32
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th Oct 18, 9:27 PM
    • 58,653 Posts
    • 243,097 Thanks
    beanielou
    Stoke.
    So sorry that you have had a tough day.
    It is hard sometimes when you are on your own & things happen.
    Not to take from your experience at all but I had a wee wobble earlier in the week too.
    Invited to a civic reception but cant go because I would have to go on my own & drive in the dark.
    So I do get it. I really do.
    Take care
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 12th Oct 18, 10:28 PM
    • 2,977 Posts
    • 3,137 Thanks
    Stoke
    Sorry you are feeling so down. Life is s*it at times.

Forgive yourself for the cake, draw the line and get back on it tomorrow. There is still time for damage limitation and you can still get to target this week.

Denise
    Originally posted by joedenise
    Thanks Denise. I appreciate the support. The cake situation is done now really. Deep down, I think I knew when I bought it what was going to happen. I shouldn't have given into the inevitable, but at that moment, it seemed a better option than walking out with nothing. I've gone for an hour run which might have helped a little, probably not but there we go.

I know my problems are small fry really. My neighbour has recently passed away, so compared to what his kids are going through (about 18 and early 20's), my problems are pathetic.... but ultimately, you can only deal with the problems you face and I guess one thing I've always struggled with is handling things when they go wrong, especially pressure. I was never great at it, as a kid and I'm not much better now. I always struggled in exams and I was a wreck in the early days of my career when under pressure. I still struggle now if I'm going somewhere unfamiliar, but I've obviously developed confidence doing it repeatedly. Work could have done me a favour by not expecting me to work from home and letting me time bank it, especially knowing full well I was in a bit of a pickle, but ultimately, they aren't altruists, they're a company trying to make a profit and they pay my salary, so I can't complain too much.

Onwards and upwards. Sorry if the earlier post came across a bit heavy
    • SarahC74
    • By SarahC74 13th Oct 18, 12:19 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 162 Thanks
    SarahC74
    Oh Stoke, Iím so sorry. If I may say, I donít think this really has anything to do with the car. It sounds like everything is a bit overwhelming right now and facing it alone is awful. Please donít even think about the cake, again, I really donít think its the problem, and whatís a bit of cake between friends? Weíve all done it. You quite rightly say your friend will be absolutely fine about tomorrow (today), and Iím sure they would hate to think of you beating yourself up over something you canít change. Please be kind to yourself, you are such an amazing support to others, perhaps think what youíd say in response to one of us posting this? Take care x
    Frugal living challenge: Overpay mortgage by £6,000 in 2018 £594/6,000
    Weight loss start date: 16th April 2018. Weight loss total: 23lb Last updated: 29th August 2018
    • greentiger
    • By greentiger 13th Oct 18, 1:03 AM
    • 2,267 Posts
    • 16,297 Thanks
    greentiger
    Well done, Sunflower. Wonderful, Vixstar.

Stoke, I’m so sorry life has dumped on you. You have been so positive in all your other posts. There comes a time for all of us when things just get on top of us, for all sorts of reasons. Lots of us have used this thread to vent - and that’s a really good thing, it clears the mind. I know I have, more than once. And I got so much support from friends here that my perceived issues became less relevant.
    Stashbusting 154
    Reading Challenge 34/26
    Film Challenge 31/26[COLOR="Blue"]
    [COLOR="Blue"]Weight Loss 1.4lb
    • greentiger
    • By greentiger 13th Oct 18, 1:22 AM
    • 2,267 Posts
    • 16,297 Thanks
    greentiger
    Forgot to say that DH and I are off with all of the family (altogether 6 adults & 4 children) for a week, to a cottage in Perthshire (not far away at all). Each family has responsibility for 2/3 lunches and dinners (breakfast depends on who is about, lol), so SW will be out the window for much of the time. I’ll have my tablet so will be able to eavesdrop/poke my nose in from time to time.
    Stashbusting 154
    Reading Challenge 34/26
    Film Challenge 31/26[COLOR="Blue"]
    [COLOR="Blue"]Weight Loss 1.4lb
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 13th Oct 18, 7:49 AM
    • 5,702 Posts
    • 42,126 Thanks
    joedenise
    greentiger - it'll be a case of "Good when you can and careful when you can't". At least you'll have control for 2/3 lunches and dinners and probably some breakfasts too. At the end of the day SW has to fit in with our lifestyle not the other way round. Enjoy your holiday.

Back to EE today:

B - SW fry up
    L - carrot & lentil soup; bread (no butter)
    D - SC beef bourguignon; mash; green veg. Will be a few syns as I will be putting in some red wine! It's not a bourguignon without the wine, it's just a beef stew.

HEA - milk
    HEB - bread
    Syns - wine in dinner; plus wine during the evening,

I've finally got round to reading my target member book and found I can have an extra HEA or HEB every day plus an extra 10 syns on 2 or 3 days a week if I want to! Don't think I'll be bothering with an extra HE every day but will probably take advantage of the extra syns!

Denise
    • v1ckyt
    • By v1ckyt 13th Oct 18, 9:27 AM
    • 234 Posts
    • 1,447 Thanks
    v1ckyt
    So.... bit of an emotional dump here.

Sorry for the bitterly miserable post. I know there's so much more bad things going on in the world than a poxy broken down car and I really don't want to ruin your Friday, just needed to vent
    Originally posted by Stoke
    Don't apologise, it's better to vent and get it out. I have similar food issues and recently ran to the cake aisle so fast, when a minor hiccup happened. Recognise it for what it is, a coping strategy, all be it a not hugely healthy one long term, draw a line under it and start afresh today.

Hoping you find some comfort for the bigger picture soon, and be kind to yourself in the meantime.
    Owed 12th Oct 2015 £73942.43

Estimated date of freedom, slipped a little now July 2023, still nine years early.
    • majorica
    • By majorica 13th Oct 18, 9:55 AM
    • 427 Posts
    • 4,181 Thanks
    majorica
    Morning, quick in and out weigh in this morning STS heading to airport now for a cheeky wee 6 nights in Majorca, see you all next week
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 13th Oct 18, 10:19 AM
    • 5,702 Posts
    • 42,126 Thanks
    joedenise
    Enjoy your cheeky 6 nights away!
    • Top Girl
    • By Top Girl 13th Oct 18, 11:19 AM
    • 1,181 Posts
    • 8,209 Thanks
    Top Girl
    - 2 for last week please Chris. The plague seems to have finally left the house, fingers crossed. Trying my best to stick to plan but swerving weekend wine seems to have given me a sweet tooth. Hope you're all well xx
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 13th Oct 18, 12:31 PM
    • 2,977 Posts
    • 3,137 Thanks
    Stoke
    Thanks everyone for the support

Oh Stoke, I’m so sorry. If I may say, I don’t think this really has anything to do with the car. It sounds like everything is a bit overwhelming right now and facing it alone is awful. Please don’t even think about the cake, again, I really don’t think its the problem, and what’s a bit of cake between friends? We’ve all done it. You quite rightly say your friend will be absolutely fine about tomorrow (today), and I’m sure they would hate to think of you beating yourself up over something you can’t change. Please be kind to yourself, you are such an amazing support to others, perhaps think what you’d say in response to one of us posting this? Take care x
    Originally posted by SarahC74
    I was thinking about the cake this morning, but I've just decided to brush it off and start again today. I know they'll be okay about it. It's just one of those things and I just feel like I've let them down a bit. The good thing is I get to spend some time in the house doing some of the jobs I've wanted to do and maybe get it looking as nice as it can be for when I come home in the week nights. Chin up eh ? Been thinking about Christmas and how I can make the place look nice. I didn't really celebrate it last year, so I'd like to this year

Stoke, I’m so sorry life has dumped on you. You have been so positive in all your other posts. There comes a time for all of us when things just get on top of us, for all sorts of reasons. Lots of us have used this thread to vent - and that’s a really good thing, it clears the mind. I know I have, more than once. And I got so much support from friends here that my perceived issues became less relevant.
    Originally posted by greentiger
    I think it's just because for the first time since we broke up, I felt really helpless. Like, I know this is probably the worst way of looking at it, and probably a bit self indulgent but when we first broke up, aside from the obvious sadness, my instinct was to say "well, so long as I can get to work, pay my bills, I can still function going forward".... yesterday was like the first time I felt really helpless. I couldn't get to work and it all just got a bit on top of me. It's such a small thing, but I think it just triggered a whole lot of emotion.

Don't apologise, it's better to vent and get it out. I have similar food issues and recently ran to the cake aisle so fast, when a minor hiccup happened. Recognise it for what it is, a coping strategy, all be it a not hugely healthy one long term, draw a line under it and start afresh today.

Hoping you find some comfort for the bigger picture soon, and be kind to yourself in the meantime.
    Originally posted by v1ckyt
    Yup, I'm just trying to remember the bigger picture. Work will be fine, I'll be fine, and things will resolve themselves in a few days. I just remind myself about the neighbours kids, things won't be fine for them. That's the bigger picture. There's more important !!!! going on in the world.... I don't like the thought of coming across self indulgent either.
    • maman
    • By maman 13th Oct 18, 12:40 PM
    • 18,847 Posts
    • 112,536 Thanks
    maman
    Back from my trip away. I've caught up on the posts. I won't comment individually on them but just say that this is a lovely thread full of lovely people. Soooo supportive.

I've done my meal plan for the week so off to Aldi shortly. Will post later.
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 13th Oct 18, 1:37 PM
    • 4,227 Posts
    • 10,823 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    Ah Stoke ....I'm so sorry you had a carp day yesterday - don't beat yourself up about the cake; I'm sure we all have our kryptonite - even now put a stick of French bread & a tub of butter in front of me & I'd have to steal myself not to eat the whole thing - & I'm not sure I would succeed especially if I'd had the day you had.

WI saw a STS which in some respects I was happy with given that I spent all week working off the bl00dy Chinese last week but disappointing given I went out last night & was on soft drinks all night.

Going shopping later & have done a meal plan for the whole week ...which is a positive for me.

Weather is really carp here so think otherwise it will be a sofa day watching carp films lol
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
    • Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 13th Oct 18, 4:30 PM
    • 3,840 Posts
    • 16,948 Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly
    Quick question, then I will read back. 2 Hi-Fi's = Hex, 2 Alpen Light =Hex, what if you have 1 of each, are they then synned?
    A smile costs little but creates much
    • TakeItEazy
    • By TakeItEazy 13th Oct 18, 5:35 PM
    • 2,337 Posts
    • 15,612 Thanks
    TakeItEazy
    Stoke, I think the day you had has finally opened up the feelings you seemed to have bottled up re the ex. Seems you may not have dealt with them at the time. I know where youíre coming from though, Iíve had a hellish week. Hurt my back Monday as well as the stress around work. Iíve comfort ate too, luckily (or not) my food of choice has been porridge . Had bead products yesterday as on (another) trip so wasnít happy with WI, gained 2.5lb . Guttered after last week
    Am wondering if itís inflammation or meds or both.

Ate a bag of cashews
    Its not what you do but the way that you do it, thats what get results
    Keep the Faith All

Heartbroken 12.12.13
    • maman
    • By maman 13th Oct 18, 5:39 PM
    • 18,847 Posts
    • 112,536 Thanks
    maman
    Going shopping later & have done a meal plan for the whole week ...which is a positive for me.
    Originally posted by gettingtheresometime

Same here gts. I'd really run the cupboards/fridge down before I went away so did a massive shop for loads of Speed.

Quick question, then I will read back. 2 Hi-Fi's = Hex, 2 Alpen Light =Hex, what if you have 1 of each, are they then synned?
    Originally posted by Gettingtherequickly

I remember being told that but I just ignore it and I've not seen it in writing. When I started and used to measure milk I'd finish it off with a milky drink every evening. Now I either split the HEXs (so an Alpen light and a slice of toast) or just have one if that's all I want. Other than perhaps being lowish on fibre for the day I really can't see it making a difference. HEXs are just that, extras, so you don't have to have them although it's healthier if you do.

I didn't do too badly with food while I was away. Almost all meal choices were SW friendly with just a little oil or mayo here and there. I did have some fish goujons and chips but that was all. Wine syns were a different matter though.

I'm loosely back on plan from today although it won't be 100% until Wednesday. I'm still going to have my weekend wine and I'm eating out again at the beginning of the week. My clothes tell me I'm not straying too far from my target range but I would like to take a good run at it soon.
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 13th Oct 18, 6:06 PM
    • 5,702 Posts
    • 42,126 Thanks
    joedenise
    SW are actually OK about splitting HEA/HEB as long as they are exactly divisably, ie 1 Weetabix and 1 slice of WM bread; 125ml SS milk, 15g cheese (or 20g light cheese); so no need to syn.

Denise
    • maman
    • By maman 13th Oct 18, 6:13 PM
    • 18,847 Posts
    • 112,536 Thanks
    maman
    SW are actually OK about splitting HEA/HEB as long as they are exactly divisably, ie 1 Weetabix and 1 slice of WM bread; 125ml SS milk, 15g cheese (or 20g light cheese); so no need to syn.

Denise
    Originally posted by joedenise

Hi denise. Had you heard about needing to eat up all the HEX (split or otherwise) or it had to be synned? I think that's what gts was asking. I have heard of it years ago but maybe it's a myth.
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 13th Oct 18, 7:37 PM
    • 5,702 Posts
    • 42,126 Thanks
    joedenise
    Hi denise. Had you heard about needing to eat up all the HEX (split or otherwise) or it had to be synned? I think that's what gts was asking. I have heard of it years ago but maybe it's a myth.
    Originally posted by maman
    Had heard that but think things have changed over the last couple of years! HEAs and HEBs are just that "extras" - ie ought to have for the calcium and fibre but not set in stone. However I still think you ought to have both rather than not having them.

Denise
    • maman
    • By maman 13th Oct 18, 9:13 PM
    • 18,847 Posts
    • 112,536 Thanks
    maman
    Realised I didn't post my menu. I got a bag of YS stir fry veg when I was getting my BoB milk from the little Co-op so plenty of Speed.

EE menu :
    B: NAS grapefruit, HEB porage with HEA milk
    L: JP with cottage cheese and pickled cabbage
    D: chicken 'kiev', SW chips, stir fry veg
    Syns :6 for extra porage, wine syns.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,627Posts Today

8,416Users online

Martin's Twitter