Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Natty68
    • By Natty68 9th Sep 18, 8:02 PM
    • 2,531Posts
    • 36,191Thanks
    Natty68
    Weekly Flylady Thread 10th September 2018
    • 9th Sep 18, 8:02 PM
    Weekly Flylady Thread 10th September 2018 9th Sep 18 at 8:02 PM
    What is FLYLADY? Well, it's our version of the US flylady idea - but we work on the principle that housework is not fun, it's boring, can be time-consuming, is often thankless but, unfortunately, necessary. It's here on Old Style to provide the support we all need and to make the whole task easier and quicker. We also accept that, sometimes, life just gets on top of us and we can't keep up, maybe because we're time-poor, not in the best of health and/or we have littlies who need us. We are definitely NOT control freaks aiming for perfection and utterly spotless show-homes.

Welcome to the weekly Flylady Thread. You're more than welcome to join us in the everlasting battle against dust, grime and gibble. The aim of our thread is to make those onerous tasks less daunting, and to support each other - and to make time for the finer things in life!

Please do remember we have to abide by MSE rules; each post should, ideally, include some mention of flying.

Thank you Valli for last week's thread

Please follow the forum rules on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us. All posts should have some Flylady-related (ooh a compound adjective) content!

The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!

Every room comes back around next week so please don't stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!
    WM ~ Washing machine
    TD ~ Tumble dryer
    SC ~ Slowcooker
    BM ~ Breadmaker
    DW ~ Dishwasher
    SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
    WUDUPA ~ washed up, dried up, put away
    WUALTD ~ washed up and left to dry
    KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
    DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
    OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
    NN ~ nice neighbour
    Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
    AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
    ETA ~ Edited to add
    Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
    Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up! All credit to AnW's Mum for this one
    RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!
    MAD half hour
    - Mad is the abbreviation for Make A Difference.
    The idea is that you have a Forth bridge (ie never-ending - or just huge) task but that you work on it in half-hour bursts. This way you know you ARE stooping, and that you won't get it finished but you will make a difference - so it might be clearing out - the garage or shed, or clothes sorting, or weeding - you get the picture - but rather than keep going until you've lost the will to live you do half an hour...but, eventually those half hours will get the job done!

Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al - supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

Monday Mayhem ~ Living Room, Hall and Stairs
    Level One..

Vacuum through the living room, hall and stairs
    Level Two...
    Dusting, even if around everything
    Remove clutter making sure stairs especially are safe
    Clean windows and all glass.. including the tv screen
    Clear the mantel and only put back the items which are supposed to be there.. and that doesn't include letters, keys or other treasure!
    Level Three...
    Wipe and water plants
    Put all your hotspots in one pile and work your way through it..
    Vacuum under furniture you can manage to move without hurting yourself.

Extra Mission: Pick one or more of the following tasks Ė
    • Have a bit of a tidy in the cupboard under the stairs.
    • Wipe down any paintwork that needs it.
    • Binbag dance.. Get a binbag.. fill it and bin it!!!
    • Wash any cushions, throws or curtains that need it.. Do you need your winter curtains up yet?

Tuesday Bluesdays~ Kitchen and Dining Room
    Level One...

Clear and wipe kitchen surfaces
    Level Two...
    Sweep and mop floors
    Sort & clean the fridge
    Wipe dining table..put a nice vase of flowers on it to make it look pretty!!!
    Level Three...
    Dust any extra furniture in dining area, checking for cobwebs on way round.
    Wipe all your small appliances..toaster, kettle etc..
    Wipe & declutter all the windows sills in these areas!!
    Clean cupboard door fronts and fronts of appliances .. don't forget those kick boards..
    Wipe door handles..
    Check those washing machine filters and drawers for ickiness!! Tumble dryer, cooker hood and dishwasher filters need to be done too!!
    Extra Mission : help yourself
    • Wipe down the hob and oven, go on you know you want to!!!!
    • Wipe down any tiles and shine those taps.. a toothbrush is great for cleaning away the gunk!
    • 32 fling boogie..
    • GO! buy yourself a treat.. you deserve it!
    • Empty the bin.. wash it out.. and make it smell SWEET

Wednesday warts ~ Bathroom and Study/Pc Area
    Level One...

Clean floors in these rooms
    Level Two...
    Clean baths, toilets, don't forget the outside! and sinks.. shine the taps with a toothbrush
    Clear any clutter from desk
    Polish the monitor drag out the pc case and dust the top and back!
    Wipe keyboard, house phone, sockets, switches and mouse etc
    Level Three...
    Wash your bathroom mats, nets, clean blind/curtains etc
    Wipe down tiles in bathroom.. defragment your pc while doing this.
    Empty and clean out all the upstairs bins!
    Clean shower screen/curtain if you have one/if required
    Pull out the pc desk and clean BEHIND AND UNDER it!!!!!!

Extra mission: Take your pick!
    • Wipe the skirtings, door and window frames in these rooms
    • Fling all those empty bottles and tubes
    • replace any sponges, flannels, toiletries that need it
    • Clean the outside of all cupboards in the bathroom

Thursday Throwout!!- Master Bedroom & Landing
    Level One...

Check fire alarms are working.. mine needs a new battery... I didn't think it was working until it alarmed at me the other day!
    Remove and wash bed linen and duvet covers.
    Fling open the window and let in the rain/sunnyness
    Level Two...
    Dust surfaces & make sure no cobwebs..
    Vacuum & turn mattress before replacing with fresh linen..
    Air the duvet
    15 minutes floordrobe clearance
    Level Three...
    Vacuum floors in bedroom and on landing
    Sort through a cupboard and fling everything that is dead
    Clear a hotspot.. or spend 15 minutes clearing one.
    Extra tasks list, as usual choose one or more
    • 32 fling boogie time, go on grab a bag and clear that clutter
    • Clean all paintwork on the landing
    • Clean windows in these rooms
    • Clear out your spare linen.. all those holey sheets, manky duvet covers and stained pillow cases.. FLING!!

Friday Frenzy ~ those frightening kids rooms and spare rooms
    Level One...

Clear away anything that isn't in it's place, clothes, toys, books etc
    Make an appointment for some ME-time.. hairdressers? manicure? night out with friends? .. whatever just do it!
    Level Two..
    Vacuum the floor
    Dusting.. all those shelves and flat fluffy surfaces!! Donít forget the light shade and curtain pole!!!
    Strip beds, turn and vacuum mattresses!! and replace with fresh linen .. check if duvets need freshening up too!!
    Level Three....
    Clean 2 windows
    Sort through a cupboard/chest of drawers and get the clothes out which are no longer wearable, too small or out of season!
    Wipe any sticky marks off walls and doors
    Extra Task List
    • Find 5 things to ebay/freecycle
    • Wipe the radiators, skirtings and window & door frames!
    • Binbag dance!!! grab a binbag and fill it with stuff to leave the house.. rubbish or charity shop or to donate to a friend!
    Last edited by Natty68; 13-09-2018 at 8:36 PM.

Struggling financially

Mortgage Free as of 20.9.17
Page 4
    • Fayolle
    • By Fayolle 13th Sep 18, 7:49 AM
    • 790 Posts
    • 9,483 Thanks
    Fayolle
    Good morning

It is a gorgeus autumn morning outside, but it feels like we only just escaped a frost. I've just hung a load of washing out and it started steaming in the line. Looked surreal!

I'm off to work shortly. I could really do with it being the half day that I'm paid for, but I think the backlog might take me longer to deal with. *sigh*. It also looks like I will be back on the school run every morning as well, as the b£@&9y travel sickness has reared its head again. *more sighing*.

Right, I have 30 minutes to do something useful. Have a lovely day everyone.

ETA - well done on the choir front, Jojo.
    • klew356
    • By klew356 13th Sep 18, 8:08 AM
    • 336 Posts
    • 1,913 Thanks
    klew356
    The dog choose sheep muck as his rolling point last night, cue scrub the dog, myself and the bathroom again, made tea and had a quick run round the kitchen, the living room sorted. Then I chose to watch some Instagram cleaning vlogs for inspiration! Quite good actually
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 13th Sep 18, 9:18 AM
    • 10,094 Posts
    • 125,240 Thanks
    kazwookie
    Jojo well done for getting into the choir, I look forward to hearing of your adventures...........

Daily stuff is done
    OH is WFH and I have just been told off for hoovering!! as he was about to make a phone call, this working from home lark, is not going to last long......

Have a good day
    Sun, Sea
    Slinky is back on!
    • Mademoiselle
    • By Mademoiselle 13th Sep 18, 9:38 AM
    • 220 Posts
    • 2,795 Thanks
    Mademoiselle
    Very little flying done here, if any. I am finding it very difficult to get back into a routine at home. I have not started the kids groups yet just a few adult lessons but am in and out of work doing admin work and signing up new people. Also did a taster session yesterday afternoon which was INTENSE and so noisy. Another week and hopefully will settle into a routine. Tried Pilates class in the evening which would be great but not enough people so not sure if it will happen or not.
    Bedroom is getting a bit of attention today as changing sheets and sorting linen is work in progress.
    Slinky challenge: I hope I can get on with this again soon, am hopeful as have just about stopped drinking during the week and have taken salad for lunch the last few days and parked for free so had to walk a bit further.
    Sticks, spoons, hugs for all that need, I'm off to get a second cup of tea
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 13th Sep 18, 10:57 AM
    • 4,745 Posts
    • 55,188 Thanks
    Jazee
    Morning all. Hope you're all ok.
    First shift done, dailies done, dogs walked. Just sorting out paperwork and need to make a few phone calls and will then do what I can from the list before the next shift.
    Savings 2018: £825.53
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 13th Sep 18, 1:08 PM
    • 10,094 Posts
    • 125,240 Thanks
    kazwookie
    Weed killer put around the raised drive block paving, the weeds are loving this weather.
    Those plants that survived the hot weather and need splitting have been moved into the gaps.
    Now on the look out for some cheap bushes / shrubs to fill in about 4 more gaps.
    OH taken the hint and gone off to London office to work, mind you I think his company asked him to go there to day, but not that he would tell me!

Not too sure what to do this afternoon, book reading comes to mind

Oh dear b st go and spend my John Lewis vouchers, as they seem to be loosing money according to the news........
    Sun, Sea
    Slinky is back on!
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 13th Sep 18, 8:39 PM
    • 25,143 Posts
    • 101,287 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Too tired to go out again after a nonstop day at work which dragged on for another 45 minutes after I should have finished because there was so much to do (and so much still left undone when the site closed to staff so I had to leave), so I'm hogging the settee with the Idiot Cat whilst Madame Fluffyknickers zooms to and fro, upstairs and down, as though she's got a flea in her drawers.

We're both just looking at her with slight confusion and a little horror.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • Mademoiselle
    • By Mademoiselle 14th Sep 18, 7:21 AM
    • 220 Posts
    • 2,795 Thanks
    Mademoiselle
    A good day here yesterday, great start as I had a lovely good long sleep (last night however was a different story). Then went and sorted out an outstanding bill, got a slow puncture repaired and picked up a few essential bits of shopping. Worked in the afternoon and it was a pleasure to be back to 'teaching' rather than dealing with new sign ups, planning groups, tidying up, cheques etc. Another week and we will be 'teaching' them all so goods news. Working this afternoon to do the last tidying and rearranging of furniture, cleaners in on Monday to make it all sparkling and then next week is lesson planning and helping/training a couple of new staff. I actually work with a very very good friend of mine so it is never too bad but just prefer the 'teaching' part.

DW on last night and emptied by OH this morning so will fill it up before I go out.
    WM going on too

Have a good day everyone.
    • Fayolle
    • By Fayolle 14th Sep 18, 7:29 AM
    • 790 Posts
    • 9,483 Thanks
    Fayolle
    Busy day yesterday. More of playing catch up at work, then a quick and very focussed dash to Mr M. I decided that, as I had a spare 15 minutes before work that I would start sorting out the linen box in our bedroom. The result was that when I came home, it was to piles of half sorted linen. A quick MAD, and I am proud to say at I have a Getting Rid Of pile and a box lid that closes. The magic of the Flylady lists.

Off to work shortly. DW emptied and HHi done. It's all downhill from here. Have a good Friday everyone.
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 14th Sep 18, 7:40 AM
    • 10,094 Posts
    • 125,240 Thanks
    kazwookie
    Morning

WM is on
    Bins done
    Bathroom done

Have a good day
    Sun, Sea
    Slinky is back on!
    • atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 14th Sep 18, 7:47 AM
    • 2,977 Posts
    • 21,465 Thanks
    atypicalblonde
    Morning all,

Did not want to get up the morning! TFI Friday

Not much planned today, other than School run and some gentle flying. Have lovely days all xx
    MFW
    Mortgage 8.2.15 - £171,064.64 Mortgage 1.5.2018 - £99,980.45
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
    • klew356
    • By klew356 14th Sep 18, 8:39 AM
    • 336 Posts
    • 1,913 Thanks
    klew356
    The dog didn’t roll in anything last night! well done dog! He still stood in the shower cubicle expectantly though! I don’t think so.
    I wrote out a list of new cleaning products I need and want for this weekend, il head into town on Sunday and purchase. Nearly out of my Dettol spray which I love, might try another scent, just using the original here. Got a wash ready to go when I finish work and the flash ready to blitz the kitchen, degrease the oven will take place,tonight!
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 14th Sep 18, 11:14 AM
    • 5,370 Posts
    • 53,154 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    Photos on the laptop finally sorted into folders so I can pick out the ones I want to get printed off. A big job, and I've been meaning to do it for ages. Hose washed and threaded through the house to water the pear tree, apple tree being watered with another hose from another house. Bird food mixed up for the blackbirds and robins if they ever come back; they disappeared during the hot dry weather. Fingers crossed. Now to go and plant some pansies.
    Keeping it AF
    • MadamMim2013
    • By MadamMim2013 14th Sep 18, 11:41 AM
    • 582 Posts
    • 7,156 Thanks
    MadamMim2013
    Photos on the laptop finally sorted into folders so I can pick out the ones I want to get printed off. A big job, and I've been meaning to do it for ages.
    Originally posted by Honey Bear
    How odd.. I too completed this job only yesterday mainly because the insomnia has kicked in and the last 2 nights have been rubbish.. Shall be getting a few printed off to make up a frame to go in my boys room.
    Living life happily! Debt Free date: 06/2018!!!
    Jan-Oct 73 Nov GC £120.93/£300
    :
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 14th Sep 18, 7:28 PM
    • 25,143 Posts
    • 101,287 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Glad it's Friday [flumps onto settee].

Today is my only guaranteed evening to get some housework done, so I'm going to have to drag myself back up in a minute.

Irritated (and concerned) that it feels as though somebody tried to force my front door open today, as the handle is rattling and wobbling about a bit compared to this morning. I'll have to make a point of contacting the landlord to see whether they'll come and check it out or wash their hands of it because it's a very expensive mechanism. Not that there's anything particularly valuable, portable or saleable in here, but I don't fancy the idea of anybody nosing around - personally, I blame the builders who have set up a portacabin almost directly outside, as that provides almost perfect cover for anybody wanting to force the door without being seen.

Have already contacted the Police and they've said somebody will be in touch tomorrow, as there were reports today of people trying to gain access to back gardens in the next road.

Probably better clean up in case I end up with uninvited intruders - I might not notice!
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • ionafan
    • By ionafan 15th Sep 18, 7:03 AM
    • 2,541 Posts
    • 37,371 Thanks
    ionafan
    Morning all.

Achievements this week:
    - washing and ironing up to date, everything FUPA
    - food bought
    - house superficially clean and tidy
    - Rosie walked daily
    - somehow I'm still on talking terms with DH, who is threatening to stop driving completely: apparently "it's not worth all the hassle with DVLA" because they have revoked his license again due to his sleep apnoea. It seems to be my fault...

Joys and sorrows:
    - one of my friends helped to deliver her 4th grandchild on Monday
    - my goddaughter arrived yesterday evening to help me celebrate my licensing
    - my DS2 and his family have all got a tummy bug which is affecting the adults worse than the children, so they can't come to my party today

To do today:
    - take Rosie for a walk
    - breakfast
    - take Rosie to kennels
    - prep some food and pack coolbox for tonight's barn dance
    - lunch party in Cathedral City with DH, DGodD and 4 old friends
    - big celebratory service in the cathedral alongside 5 of my fellow students
    - barn dance at church this evening
    More celebrations tomorrow at church, after which I plan to do nothing for the rest of the day but sleep. I'll collect Rosie on Monday morning!

See you next week - hope you all have a good weekend x
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 15th Sep 18, 10:25 AM
    • 10,094 Posts
    • 125,240 Thanks
    kazwookie
    Morning folks,

Ionafan that sounds like you are busy busy, don't go over doing it.

Cat prowling around the garden for some reason! jumping on things such as leaves......
    Kitchen is done
    Bins sorted
    Don't really have a lot going on this weekend so it willbe general stuff and reading.
    If the weather forecast is ok, I 'might' go car booting tomorrow, as the mornings are now much darker and I don't really like the 4am starts with darkenss, during the summer it is ok.

Catch you all later
    Sun, Sea
    Slinky is back on!
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 15th Sep 18, 11:00 AM
    • 5,370 Posts
    • 53,154 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    Have a lovely, lovely day, Ionafan - you've so earned it! And a (((hug))) for you for having to deal with your DH's tantrum about having his freedom slightly curbed.

OH decluttered to the station for a day trip up the smoke to watch his team, beef thingy prepped and bunged in the slow cooker for tomorrow night, gardener given a tray of tea and biscuits and paid for mowing the lawn - the communal one escaped this year's lack of rain remarkably well.

Lodger is out working, and the other one arrives tomorrow, so I think I'll do the shower room today and then I can forget about it. Couldn't do it on Friday because the three beefy plumbers were still here all day. No point. OH and I have kept on top of the plumbers chaos but they've cleared out all the stuff they don't need with just the boxing left to do, and left marks on the carpet. Slight grrr, but the chief plumber's going to get advice from his wife about how to get rid of them, because she's fab.

Then on with the summit notes and I want to get the tax return finished over the weekend too. I'm sick of it hanging around like a bad smell.
    Last edited by Honey Bear; 15-09-2018 at 5:08 PM.
    Keeping it AF
    • Valli
    • By Valli 15th Sep 18, 12:04 PM
    • 20,698 Posts
    • 235,063 Thanks
    Valli
    Kitchen cleaned. Trapped dust and fluff spotted in vacuum so minor stripping down and invention cobbled together to remove the plastic rubbish which was trapped and presumably causing both the blockage and the irritating high-pitched whistle.
    While I had the toolbox out I dealt with the loose door hinge on DDs wardrobe which I had spotted the other day. Now to utilise cloth and bucket in bathroom.
    Then I'm planning on making a veggie chilli with the veg from my fridge bottom and the bag of produce I have been gifted by the Aged Ps who are gracing Tuscany with their presence.
    The I MUST deal with a frog and a Cane toad.
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    Janice 1964-2016

Thank you Honey Bear
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 15th Sep 18, 2:17 PM
    • 10,867 Posts
    • 119,521 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Quick post to assure you all I'm still alive, before I vanish into the depths of the midden bathroom to steam clean it.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,407Posts Today

8,095Users online

Martin's Twitter