Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sorryitsme
    • By sorryitsme 9th Sep 18, 5:18 PM
    • 412Posts
    • 186Thanks
    sorryitsme
    Blackhorse finance
    • 9th Sep 18, 5:18 PM
    Blackhorse finance 9th Sep 18 at 5:18 PM
    In 2002 I ordered a new car at a Volkswagen dealership. At the time I had another car on finance and wasn’t trading it in. The dealer couldn’t offer me Volkswagen finance due to affordability so started ringing round companies. Eventually Blackhorse said they would offer finance and I spoke to them on the phone for about 45 minutes going through a number of questions. I am 100% sure PPI was not mentioned otherwise that would have prompted me to mention my prexisiting medical condition which I didn’t do during the conversation.

I have recently contacted Blackhorse and they have informed me I did in fact have PPI and have sent me a questionnaire. In this situation is it Blackhorse or the dealer that sold me PPI? I am aware it’s pre regulation and game over if it’s the dealer that are deemed to have sold it to me.

They have also sent me a questionnaire for a car in 1998 which was with chartered trust where the same thing happened that the dealer couldn’t offer finance as I had finance on another car and I had to speak to them on the phone for about 45 minutes again.

TIA
    Last edited by sorryitsme; 09-09-2018 at 5:22 PM.
Page 1
    • -taff
    • By -taff 9th Sep 18, 5:37 PM
    • 8,960 Posts
    • 8,919 Thanks
    -taff
    • 9th Sep 18, 5:37 PM
    • 9th Sep 18, 5:37 PM
    The dealer is liable, but there's no harm in seeing if BH will pay anything out.
    • sorryitsme
    • By sorryitsme 9th Sep 18, 5:55 PM
    • 412 Posts
    • 186 Thanks
    sorryitsme
    • 9th Sep 18, 5:55 PM
    • 9th Sep 18, 5:55 PM
    The dealer is liable, but there's no harm in seeing if BH will pay anything out.
    Originally posted by -taff
    Thanks for the reply. Iím going to send my completed questionnaires and see what happens. Do they usually send questionnaires if they are not liable?
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 9th Sep 18, 11:05 PM
    • 22,639 Posts
    • 12,172 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 9th Sep 18, 11:05 PM
    • 9th Sep 18, 11:05 PM
    Thanks for the reply. Iím going to send my completed questionnaires and see what happens. Do they usually send questionnaires if they are not liable?
    Originally posted by sorryitsme
    Yes, but they'll then respond (after a likely eight weeks) that the dealer is responsible. The dealer will subsequently respond that they weren't regulated in 2002 and so don't have to consider your complaint at all. Similarly, your 1998 sale is pre-regulation.
    • sorryitsme
    • By sorryitsme 13th Oct 18, 7:10 PM
    • 412 Posts
    • 186 Thanks
    sorryitsme
    • 13th Oct 18, 7:10 PM
    • 13th Oct 18, 7:10 PM
    Today is 8 weeks from my initial complaint and I have received 6 holding letters saying they need more time up to another 8 weeks! Is this standard? The letter says as it is beyond 8 weeks I can go to the FOS. I am not sure what to do....
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 13th Oct 18, 8:12 PM
    • 6,193 Posts
    • 3,777 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    • 13th Oct 18, 8:12 PM
    • 13th Oct 18, 8:12 PM
    Today is 8 weeks from my initial complaint and I have received 6 holding letters saying they need more time up to another 8 weeks! Is this standard? The letter says as it is beyond 8 weeks I can go to the FOS. I am not sure what to do....
    Originally posted by sorryitsme

Wait or send it to the FOS (which will mean the company stops investigating while the FOS goes back to them).

If you got finance yourself through black horse (nothing to do with the dealer) then you complain to them but in this case the dealer sold the finance package therefore have liability for miss-sale. They were not regulated in 2002 so can reject your complaint. I'm surprised black horse took this long to realise and reject your complaint as they didn't sell it but who knows, you might get lucky.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 13th Oct 18, 8:41 PM
    • 96,074 Posts
    • 63,881 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 13th Oct 18, 8:41 PM
    • 13th Oct 18, 8:41 PM
    Today is 8 weeks from my initial complaint and I have received 6 holding letters saying they need more time up to another 8 weeks! Is this standard?
    it is quite normal if they cant resolve it up to that point.

I am not sure what to do....
    Wait a bit longer.

Firms like Black Horse take a bit longer because they have more checks to make. They need to initially find out if they sold it or a car dealer did (or whoever arranged the finance if not them). Then they can look into the complaint
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

249Posts Today

1,829Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The responses to this thread are no question the best of british! https://t.co/jv5Q2ErQQC

• RT @SMinihane87: @MartinSLewis After she received the title she addressed it in literally the first episode of the next season of the appre?

• RT @WhichUK: ??CHRISTMAS WARNING TO PARENTS?? Don't buy any of these slimes for your kids ? they all contain potentially unsafe levels of?

• Follow Martin