British Airways Data Breach

Has anyone heard from BA? I must have been in the danger window, but no word from them. Checked the card I used, and no unexpected activity.
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Credit Cards and Budgeting & Bank Accounts boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Comments

• FlameCloud
    FlameCloud Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I booked three flights a couple of days into the period. Nothing from BA and nothing unusual on the credit card.

Cancelled it to be safe though.
  • Never used the BA website so not affected here.
    They just had a BA spokesman on R4 Today. I was a bit surprised when asked what data had been leaked that he said the 3 digit code on the back of cards had been. I always thought that was only kept until the transaction had been authorised then deleted. I should NEVER be stored permanently.
  • I'm fuming this morning. I had the email last night and this morning called MBNA as I'd booked a bag on my flight last week for next weeks holiday.

They've cancelled the card and confirmed no unauthorised transactions but it leaves me without a method of paying the deposit on my hire car as I'd transferred 1k to that card over the last couple of months to cover it. All my other cards are being paid off and cut up so I've got zero back-up plan.

The "we take the protection of your personal information very seriously" bit at the end of the email along with the whole yeh sorry about that attitude just finished me off. Never again BA. Should have trusted my gut after the last time I swore I'd never use you again.
  • bigisi
    bigisi Posts: 925 Forumite
    Never again BA. Should have trusted my gut after the last time I swore I'd never use you again.

Sure they'll be devastated...
  • stalkah
    stalkah Posts: 227 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Had the email last night too, first time I'd booked with BA.
    I'm half tempted to not cancel my card and leave it to see if any fraud transactions do appear because if they do it's more grounds for compensation from BA
  • bigisi wrote: »
    Sure they'll be devastated...

I'm not expecting them to be, or even notice, but thank you so much for your helpful comment, it was really appreciated.
  • British Airways emailed me to say that I "may" have been affected (booked a flight on 25 August) and should contact my bank immediately but when I try to contact my credit card company (amex provided by BA!) I just get an automated message saying I don't need to take further action as I won't be liable for any fraudulent transactions then the call disconnects. Surely this can't be right and I need to cancel the card? And presumably change all my passwords and look at getting an identity protection product?

I'm furious! Answer the phone to the problem you created with such lax security!
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The BA spokesman on R4 said that anyone who had been affected had been contacted as of last night. So if you haven't been contacted, then in theory, not affected. Definitely monitor card, just in case.

The whole not cancelling card is interesting, as if you have been informed and then don't cancel, could BA then use it as an excuse to mitigate liability? If you have no alternative card to use whilst awaiting for a replacement card, such as if you are away or paying for a trip, then do you delay cancelling because of inconvenience.

It does seem strange that they stored CVV. Usually websites you have payment card stored on ask for CVV when you use it again.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    For anyone seriously worried about this, I suggest reading the article and comments (well over 100 so far) over at Head For Points.

https://www.headforpoints.com/2018/09/06/british-airways-data-theft/

Rob Burgess is updating the article as more information comes to light.
  • I have been informed and BA is refusing to cancel my card! But only in a recorded message so how do I prove it further down the line?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure