Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sterlingtimes
    • By Sterlingtimes 6th Sep 18, 7:58 PM
    • 1,554Posts
    • 3,925Thanks
    Sterlingtimes
    Economy Energy raising gas unit charge by 88%
    • 6th Sep 18, 7:58 PM
    Economy Energy raising gas unit charge by 88% 6th Sep 18 at 7:58 PM
    I have recently moved to Economy Energy with MSE. I have just seen an email increasing gas unit prices by 88% and electricity unit prices by 30%.

This is almost unbelievable.

Is this a contrived attempt to lose customers?
    Last edited by Sterlingtimes; 06-09-2018 at 8:00 PM.
    Solar installed 21 November 2014 > Centre of England > 3,780 Wp > 14 *270 Watt Trina panels > 14 * Enphase micro-inverters > managed by Enlighten Envoy Hub > 19° west of south > 35° pitch > tree shading to east > iBoost > Wattson Anywhere monitoring > Ovo Smart Gateway > Schneider Electric (Drayton) MiGenie smart thermostat.
Page 7
    • Sterlingtimes
    • By Sterlingtimes 13th Sep 18, 3:58 PM
    • 1,554 Posts
    • 3,925 Thanks
    Sterlingtimes
    Just had a call from the EE Online Chat advisor from two days ago.
    They will be honoring my Fixed price tariff guaranteed until 6/2019.

Job done.

Thank you all for the rumpus we caused.

Cheers Andy
    Originally posted by andy poulton
    Well done, Andy. Let's us just hope that the next message is not that they are increasing your direct debit because of the price rise. Will they confirm in writing?
    Solar installed 21 November 2014 > Centre of England > 3,780 Wp > 14 *270 Watt Trina panels > 14 * Enphase micro-inverters > managed by Enlighten Envoy Hub > 19° west of south > 35° pitch > tree shading to east > iBoost > Wattson Anywhere monitoring > Ovo Smart Gateway > Schneider Electric (Drayton) MiGenie smart thermostat.
    • andy poulton
    • By andy poulton 13th Sep 18, 4:57 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    andy poulton
    Well done, Andy. Let's us just hope that the next message is not that they are increasing your direct debit because of the price rise. Will they confirm in writing?
    Originally posted by Sterlingtimes
    MMM 'strangely' [yeah right] no he said he would rather update my account[?] and advise me on the phone rather than send an email.
    I will be asking later for confirmation.

Cheers Andy
    • andy poulton
    • By andy poulton 13th Sep 18, 5:42 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    andy poulton
    Originally posted by Sterlingtimes
    Thank you for the kind prompt.
    Just been on the online chat. They emailed me a transcript of the conversation showing this confirmation of the fixed rate tariff I was on before,

Cheers Andy
    • Muttleythefrog
    • By Muttleythefrog 13th Sep 18, 5:55 PM
    • 13,370 Posts
    • 25,498 Thanks
    Muttleythefrog
    Interestingly I've just spotted... on my online account "Account Details".. my tariff has changed to "Switch Saver (honoured)"
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
    • andy poulton
    • By andy poulton 13th Sep 18, 5:58 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    andy poulton
    Interestingly I've just spotted... on my online account "Account Details".. my tariff has changed to "Switch Saver (honoured)"
    Originally posted by Muttleythefrog
    MMM Had a look. No mine has not changed [yet]

Cheers Andy
    • wrinx
    • By wrinx 13th Sep 18, 10:02 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    wrinx
    Wow, that's great news for you, but strange that I and others on the same boat haven't had the same. Was that message in response to a complaint about the change? Had you contacted them about the increase at all?
    Originally posted by Lifes Grand Plan

I didn't make a formal complaint but called twice and ranted (politely but firmly) at the person on the other end, calling their practice mis-selling, fraudulent and a breach of contract, followed by infoming them that I would be leaving. I then commenced a move to Bulb on the same day so perhaps they've had notification from Bulb? Perhaps one of these or a combination of the lot???

Dunno...but based upon the few successes here I think there's enough evidence to prove they are backtracking if you make enough noise. I would have completed my transfer to Bulb but since they put their price up immediately I'm now intending to stay with EE for the whole horrible year in the hope that energy prices settle down and stop being silly!

No chance of EE doing that I'm sure...

wrinx
    Last edited by wrinx; 13-09-2018 at 10:04 PM. Reason: adding
    • wrinx
    • By wrinx 13th Sep 18, 10:07 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    wrinx
    Originally posted by Muttleythefrog

Interesting, mine still says just "Switch Saver"...mmm!

wrinx
    • wrinx
    • By wrinx 14th Sep 18, 9:23 AM
    • 22 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    wrinx
    Just been chatting to someone on the chatbox and they've confirmed I am staying on the original tariff and again apologised. I expressed concern about it changing in future and having more problems but was assured it would be fine...I screen grabbed the conversation!

It would be interesting to know how many other original tariffs are being honoured now and if they are only people who commenced a switch? In my case there was no formal action involved, just a threat to leave followed by action.

I'm amazed this hasn't hit the national news yet!

wrinx
    • Sterlingtimes
    • By Sterlingtimes 14th Sep 18, 10:04 AM
    • 1,554 Posts
    • 3,925 Thanks
    Sterlingtimes
    I'm amazed this hasn't hit the national news yet!
    wrinx
    Originally posted by wrinx
    In my case, I would not return to the front office because I exhausted discussion there with Economy Energy personnel who refused to refer to a manger because, "we know we are right" My formal complaint has five working days to run. Ombudsman is sufficiently interested to be on the case.

Otherwise written to MP / OFGEM / Daily Mail / CAB / Which? / MSE.
    • Sterlingtimes
    • By Sterlingtimes 14th Sep 18, 10:12 AM
    • 1,554 Posts
    • 3,925 Thanks
    Sterlingtimes
    It would be interesting to know how many other original tariffs are being honoured now and if they are only people who commenced a switch?
    wrinx
    Originally posted by wrinx
    We hear from Economy Energy that only a small number of customers is affected. We can surmise from a social media count that the number is in excess of 40. We might presume that Economy Energy would write to all of the small number of customers and reassure them that Economy Energy sent the price increase letter in error and that the original contract is indeed fixed price as stated therein.
    • asturdy2
    • By asturdy2 14th Sep 18, 10:46 AM
    • 135 Posts
    • 127 Thanks
    asturdy2
    Just got off live chat with an adviser, he said that they are honoring the fixed tariff and i should receive an email saying this. I've already started the switching process to Ebico on the 7th of september so have 7 days in which to call off the switch.
    3.64KW system, aurora power one inverter, South west facing with no shading in Lancashire.
    • Sterlingtimes
    • By Sterlingtimes 14th Sep 18, 3:04 PM
    • 1,554 Posts
    • 3,925 Thanks
    Sterlingtimes
    I received a very prompt and pleasing response from Which? who are looking into to this. Still nothing from Economy Energy so the counter-attack widens.
    • Sterlingtimes
    • By Sterlingtimes 14th Sep 18, 3:46 PM
    • 1,554 Posts
    • 3,925 Thanks
    Sterlingtimes
    Many thanks to MSE for posting this as a news item. Even MSE cannot get a clear statement from Economy Energy. The counterattack continues.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2018/09/economy-energy--to-honour--fixed-tariff-after-price-hike-blunder/
    Last edited by Sterlingtimes; 14-09-2018 at 4:07 PM.
    • MSE Andrew
      Verified User verified user
    • By MSE Andrew Verified User verified user 14th Sep 18, 4:04 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    MSE Andrew
    MSE News: Economy Energy to hit thousands with 'ghastly' £300+/yr rise – but you can escape it
    Economy Energy is hitting thousands of customers with an astonishing £300+/year rise – but many will be able to escape it by switching away, or in some cases an admin blunder means they'll beat the hike....
    Read the full story:
    'Economy Energy to hit thousands with 'ghastly' £300+/yr rise – but you can escape it'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    • Sterlingtimes
    • By Sterlingtimes 14th Sep 18, 4:10 PM
    • 1,554 Posts
    • 3,925 Thanks
    Sterlingtimes
    I have a very supportive response from the Citizens Advice Consumer Service who are pleased to deal with this as a special case.
    • nkt0609
    • By nkt0609 14th Sep 18, 4:11 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    nkt0609
    I successfully challenged the price rise, I have had confirmation from EE complaints department that my fixed tariff will be honoured until the stated expiry date.

However, you will need to provide the original "Welcome" email which states "This is your contract and it contains everything you need to know about ... Your tariff information ... Tariff type Fixed etc"

I hope you didn't delete your welcome email...

Edit: Logged in to my EE account and my tariff for Gas and Lec show Switch Saver (honoured)
    Last edited by nkt0609; 14-09-2018 at 4:14 PM.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 14th Sep 18, 4:40 PM
    • 6,542 Posts
    • 4,197 Thanks
    Hengus

I hope you didn't delete your welcome email...
    Originally posted by nkt0609
    If you did, then submit a Subject Access Request. Under GDPR, these are now free.
    • Sterlingtimes
    • By Sterlingtimes 14th Sep 18, 4:50 PM
    • 1,554 Posts
    • 3,925 Thanks
    Sterlingtimes
    My increase is from £1,380.54 to £2,045.69, an increase of £666.15 or 48.25%. I was offered a fixed price from the outset, so I am not sure that I buy the mistake argument. Still no response to my formal complaint to Economy presented in legal form with all evidence appended (sent by email and by Special Delivery fully tracked).

• andy poulton
    • By andy poulton 14th Sep 18, 5:15 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    andy poulton
    My account now shows under account details

FIXED [Honoured]

at last

Looking forward to a less stressed weekend of energy problems.
    [Apart from my OWN body]

Cheers Andy
    • Lifes Grand Plan
    • By Lifes Grand Plan 17th Sep 18, 2:18 PM
    • 1,024 Posts
    • 989 Thanks
    Lifes Grand Plan
    I'm still on "Switch Saver". I assume you're looking under the "Account Details" section?

I can only presume that they're deluged by the huge number of complaints they've had about this and are struggling to cope..... "small number of customers" my bottom!!!
    A big believer in karma, you get what you give

If you find my posts useful, "pay it forward" and help someone else out, that's how places like MSE can be so successful.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,507Posts Today

9,368Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Major new guide... Brexit, what it means for you and your finances: M mortgages, savings, flights, consumer rights? https://t.co/SXCMG2qXwX

• Have you haggled on the high street in the last year? If so who with and did you succeed? Please vote in this week? https://t.co/fdzmmFfA4u

• Warning: Energy price comparisons are now WRONG due to the price cap - it needs fixing - my letter to Ofgem alerti? https://t.co/vE9IHyM58X

• Follow Martin