Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • askmeaboutsofas
    • By askmeaboutsofas 6th Sep 18, 10:28 AM
    • 97Posts
    • 72Thanks
    askmeaboutsofas
    EBay's Automatic Suggstions on Best Offers - Very Annoying!
    • 6th Sep 18, 10:28 AM
    EBay's Automatic Suggstions on Best Offers - Very Annoying! 6th Sep 18 at 10:28 AM
    I don't know if this is a universal change or just a trial they're running, but the screen I see when I go to respond to a Best Offer has now changed.
    Instead of receiving the buyer's offer and a postcode, I got the offer and a location (i.e. London instead of the postcode). When I went to respond I had the usual space to write a message, which eBay has now helpfully labelled as "explain to the buyer why your offer is a good one". And when I typed in the counter offer price, a helpful suggestion popped up underneath saying "try a lower price". Apparently buyers are more likely to accept your offer if it's lower. Who would have thought it!

I've been registered as a business seller for over ten years so I'm a bit irritated that eBay thinks "try lowering your price" is valuable or practical advice. Is anyone else seeing this?
    I did find on my private account that listing an item for sale generated a whole screen of suggestions, including "this item normally sells for (price range)" but at least some of those suggestions were useful.
Page 1
    • Pierre De Grenoble
    • By Pierre De Grenoble 6th Sep 18, 7:09 PM
    • 407 Posts
    • 230 Thanks
    Pierre De Grenoble
    • 6th Sep 18, 7:09 PM
    • 6th Sep 18, 7:09 PM
    Nice to know that it's not only me that gets irritated by eBays constant suggestions that I reduce my prices or emails that suggest I relist at 1 lower etc etc etc.

I'm guessing that most people get this garbage. I honestly feel that if eBay sorted out their search engine they might find they'd get more sales and more revenue.
    • lindens
    • By lindens 7th Sep 18, 2:58 PM
    • 2,212 Posts
    • 7,083 Thanks
    lindens
    • 7th Sep 18, 2:58 PM
    • 7th Sep 18, 2:58 PM
    sick of ebay's constant suggestions - apparently lowering the price is the answer to everything!
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
    • askmeaboutsofas
    • By askmeaboutsofas 8th Sep 18, 2:40 PM
    • 97 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    askmeaboutsofas
    • 8th Sep 18, 2:40 PM
    • 8th Sep 18, 2:40 PM
    Just a heads up, I don't know if it was a trial or a glitch but we're now back to the old fashioned best offer screen - thankfully!
    • lindens
    • By lindens 10th Sep 18, 8:24 AM
    • 2,212 Posts
    • 7,083 Thanks
    lindens
    • 10th Sep 18, 8:24 AM
    • 10th Sep 18, 8:24 AM
    i also noticed over the weekend if you add best offer to an item- it auto-adds auto-decline too and makes up its own limit! No thanks! so I took it off this item. 5 mins later it was back on!! WTF!!
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
    • curl girl
    • By curl girl 12th Sep 18, 3:27 PM
    • 3,474 Posts
    • 35,718 Thanks
    curl girl
    • 12th Sep 18, 3:27 PM
    • 12th Sep 18, 3:27 PM
    On the app, listings now add best offer and auto relist!
    I now have to listen on laptop and manually remove!
    curl girl with a space - even though there is no space in my cupboard!!!
    • david29dpo
    • By david29dpo 13th Sep 18, 7:56 AM
    • 3,668 Posts
    • 1,388 Thanks
    david29dpo
    • 13th Sep 18, 7:56 AM
    • 13th Sep 18, 7:56 AM
    More sales for Ebay = More profit for Ebay, its as simple as than.
    • harps83
    • By harps83 13th Sep 18, 9:14 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    harps83
    • 13th Sep 18, 9:14 AM
    • 13th Sep 18, 9:14 AM
    Does anyone know how to stop the automatic turning on of best offers and auto-relist? My items are at cheapest price - i don't need ebay dictating how i list!
    • soolin
    • By soolin 13th Sep 18, 10:15 AM
    • 61,037 Posts
    • 43,607 Thanks
    soolin
    • 13th Sep 18, 10:15 AM
    • 13th Sep 18, 10:15 AM
    Does anyone know how to stop the automatic turning on of best offers and auto-relist? My items are at cheapest price - i don't need ebay dictating how i list!
    Originally posted by harps83
    You need to use the advanced listing tool and watch all the tick boxes, you cannot use a mobile or an app to list. You also need to relist each unsold on a one by one basis and again check the tick boxes.

However, be aware that many private sellers getting the free listing offers now have a requirement to offer best offer and auto relist to qualify for the free listing.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • fuzzgun19
    • By fuzzgun19 14th Sep 18, 11:33 AM
    • 7,424 Posts
    • 61,085 Thanks
    fuzzgun19
    Sick of ebay putting best offers on my items!!

Can anyone tell me if there's a way to turn it off? I've looked in account settings but can't see anything
    I Hate Jobsworths!!!
    • soolin
    • By soolin 14th Sep 18, 5:29 PM
    • 61,037 Posts
    • 43,607 Thanks
    soolin
    Sick of ebay putting best offers on my items!!

Can anyone tell me if there's a way to turn it off? I've looked in account settings but can't see anything
    Originally posted by fuzzgun19
    Did post 9 not help at all?
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • fuzzgun19
    • By fuzzgun19 14th Sep 18, 6:47 PM
    • 7,424 Posts
    • 61,085 Thanks
    fuzzgun19
    Did post 9 not help at all?
    Originally posted by soolin
    No. You talk about an advanced listing tool. It's not something I'm listing now, they have been live for a while but ebay keep adding (unwanted) BO to them.
    How do I stop it happening both to live listings and if I'm selling similar on a laptop?
    I Hate Jobsworths!!!
    • fuzzgun19
    • By fuzzgun19 16th Sep 18, 1:23 PM
    • 7,424 Posts
    • 61,085 Thanks
    fuzzgun19
    Whenever I make an adjustment to a saved listing on my mobile, it automatically adds BO too!
    Looks like I'll have to try ebay chat.
    I Hate Jobsworths!!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,757Posts Today

9,633Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Major new guide... Brexit, what it means for you and your finances: M mortgages, savings, flights, consumer rights? https://t.co/SXCMG2qXwX

• Have you haggled on the high street in the last year? If so who with and did you succeed? Please vote in this week? https://t.co/fdzmmFfA4u

• Warning: Energy price comparisons are now WRONG due to the price cap - it needs fixing - my letter to Ofgem alerti? https://t.co/vE9IHyM58X

• Follow Martin