Lorry reversed inyo my stationary car whose fault is it....?

A lorry delivering goods to a local coop store reversed into my stationary vehicle.. I was parked on a private road/car park behind one of the gates that is always closed EVEN when deliverys are being made, on the corner of this road is double yellow lines where the very end of my boot was just touching.. The man next door to this road had already rang the police as said the lorry driver had rammed into my car twice already and he believed he had been doing it deliberate and had him on cctv doing so.. The driver at the time admitted full liability gave me all his insurance details and went before the police arrived. Upon the police's arrival the first question I asked was if I was parked in the wrong to which they replied no he even looked at the double yellow lines and said my rear wheels wasn't anywhere near.. I have since found out from a friend whom works in the store that the driver has been going in being cocky saying I'm going to be gutted when I find out that his insurance company are not going to be paying out as I was parked illegally...? I have a witness and a police log to say otherwise, should I be worried ...?

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    No. .
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    To elaborate Quentin's correct reply.

Being parked on a Double Yellow line or not does not have any impact on the lorry driver being at fault.

If it was me I would ring the haulage company and ask to speak to their Transport Manager and explain the lorry drivers actions and also what he has been saying.

He deserves a dressing down from his boss and it's likely he will have given his report of the accident as being different to what actually happened.

It would not be that unusual for the police to look to prosecute for careless driving in these circumstances.

You have nothing to worry about.

P.S A call to the transport manager may result in them offering to repair your car etc at their cost without involving your Insurers. Although you would still need to declare the accident to your current and future Insurers
  • Just because someone is parked in the wrong place, doesn't give anyone the right to come along and hit their car.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Feel sorry for the lorry driver, he might lose his job
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    csgohan4 wrote: »
    Feel sorry for the lorry driver, he might lose his job

If it was deliberate he deserves to.
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • Ring your insurers. Something similar happened to us a few months ago. Stationary car parked on double yellow lines with no one in the car. Another car reversed at speed into us. I phoned the insurers and they dealt with it at no cost to us. I did get the registration and we had witnesses although they were never approached by the insurance company.
  • societys_child
    societys_child Posts: 7,110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 6 September 2018 at 7:28PM
    Something similar happened to us a few months ago. Stationary car parked on double yellow lines with no one in the car.
    OP was not parked on double yellows, sounds like they were parked in the Co-op goods delivery area.
    Indiscriminate parking in loading areas and delivery bays causes all kinds of problems for goods vehicle drivers who not only have schedules to keep to, but are also limited to the number of hours they can work. See it every day, if only people weren't so selfish when parking . . .

A lorry delivering goods to a local coop store reversed into my stationary vehicle.. I was parked on a private road/car park behind one of the gates that is always closed EVEN when deliverys are being made,
    Private road? Is it actually a car park?
  • Blibble
    Blibble Posts: 503 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Lorry reversed into my stationary car whose fault is it....

... well, it isn't the stationary car's fault ...
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    OP was not parked on double yellows, sounds like they were parked in the Co-op goods delivery area.
    Indiscriminate parking in loading areas and delivery bays causes all kinds of problems for goods vehicle drivers who not only have schedules to keep to, but are also limited to the number of hours they can work. See it every day, if only people weren't so selfish when parking . . .

Private road? Is it actually a car park?

OP got some karma now as well, with their own increased insurance premiums and written off car
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport