Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 5th Sep 18, 3:15 PM
    • 7,618Posts
    • 52,285Thanks
    kerri gt
    Asda Price Guarantee to close
    • 5th Sep 18, 3:15 PM
    Asda Price Guarantee to close 5th Sep 18 at 3:15 PM
    Have just had an email that Asda have decided to close their Price Guarantee from Oct 3rd

We want to let you know that we’ve decided to close the Asda Price Guarantee from 3rd October 2018.

When we’ve asked what our customers want us to focus on most the response has been clear - invest everything you can in everyday low prices. So, that’s what we’ve decided to do.

You can continue to check your shop on the Asda Price Guarantee website as normal until 3rd October, and you’ll have 28 days after you check to redeem your voucher.

If you'd like to learn more, you can read the full statment from our Chief Customer Officer Andy Murray.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

Page 4
    • TOP CAT
    • By TOP CAT 4th Oct 18, 9:27 PM
    • 98 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    TOP CAT
    In reply to Wheres my cashback

Ok what I did at the two self service tills in two stores that froze the SS was scan the apg first then enter the receipt number manually.
    Which you mention and did cause the freezing issue also this is very time consuming and differcult to read the receipt numbers when doing a number of apg,s ......

So what your saying is dont scan the apg or scan the receipt at all ....at self service?
    Is this correct ?

If I understand correctly your saying enter the apg number manually as well as enter the receipt number manually ?

If so how do you go about entering the apg number manually and not scanning the apg.... is this possible ?
    I Assume you then after that enter the receipt manually .

Since Im a apg self checkout newby with only 3 weeks or so to go with apgs I need to know how to use the self service effectivily .
    One store stopped me last sunday mid way through saying not to do it for what ever reason it wasnt going to work ,the lady was fine but was acting on her instructions from above .

So now will try another store which you mentioned so obviously are in the know .
    Last edited by TOP CAT; 05-10-2018 at 12:18 AM.
    • Wheres My Cashback
    • By Wheres My Cashback 5th Oct 18, 10:34 AM
    • 3,169 Posts
    • 38,143 Thanks
    Wheres My Cashback
    In reply to Wheres my cashback

Ok what I did at the two self service tills in two stores that froze the SS was scan the apg first then enter the receipt number manually.
    Which you mention and did cause the freezing issue also this is very time consuming and differcult to read the receipt numbers when doing a number of apg,s ......

So what your saying is dont scan the apg or scan the receipt at all ....at self service?
    Is this correct ?

If I understand correctly your saying enter the apg number manually as well as enter the receipt number manually ?

If so how do you go about entering the apg number manually and not scanning the apg.... is this possible ?
    I Assume you then after that enter the receipt manually .

Since Im a apg self checkout newby with only 3 weeks or so to go with apgs I need to know how to use the self service effectivily .
    One store stopped me last sunday mid way through saying not to do it for what ever reason it wasnt going to work ,the lady was fine but was acting on her instructions from above .

So now will try another store which you mentioned so obviously are in the know .
    Originally posted by TOP CAT
    Enter both APG and receipt numbers manually. Regardless of what any staff memeber tells you....it WILL work.

Enter APG via on screen qwerty keyboard, wait 1-2 seconds, digit only box will appear, enter receipt number, wait 1-2 seconds and you'll see the total reduced by that APG.

Repeat.....
    • TOP CAT
    • By TOP CAT 5th Oct 18, 12:45 PM
    • 98 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    TOP CAT
    Wheres my cashback Thankyou. very much .
    I cant get the info I need,... time is very short now .

At self service I cant find or manage the initial steps of finding the apg querty keyboard ..
    So your saying...I wrongly scanned the APG it must be input manually

Those 1st steps at the start are where..
    I need a step by step explanation of finding the APG keyboard to enter manually the APG numbers then i should be ok

Wheres my cashback ..
    Can you add some detail on bringing up the alpha numeric keypad for the APG input
    Your welcomr to put it here or via private message
    Last edited by TOP CAT; 21-10-2018 at 2:42 AM.
    • TOP CAT
    • By TOP CAT 7th Oct 18, 2:06 PM
    • 98 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    TOP CAT
    Had another go at self service trying to find or bring up the key pad to enter the Apg number going via
    -Pay now
    -Other payment types
    -Coupons
    with no luck at all .
    Assistant came over and scanned one of the two APG,s then scanned one receipt successfully .
    Only one receipt would scan so we entered the second receipt number manually as thats when the keypad comes up on screen after scanning the APG ..

Cant seem to get a keypad at the start after pressing pay to enter a APG number manually and then receipt number manually .
    If after scanning the APG .....then the keypad comes up on screen to input the receipt number .

So Im still lost on entering both APG and receipt numbers manually .
    Last edited by TOP CAT; 07-10-2018 at 2:12 PM.
    • TOP CAT
    • By TOP CAT 7th Oct 18, 3:04 PM
    • 98 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    TOP CAT
    Another issue thats always been present at the stores I use is when using Apgs a number are showing up as Voided at checkout on the receipt ?
    Instore CS wont do anything in two stores in my area but other stores further away have put through as manufactures voucher in the past either way it seems nothing you can do about voided apgs .
    Often you can later Re-use these Voided Apg,s ... some you cant I normally try again at customer services it seems very random .
    Yesterday I used 8 apgs at the checkout and 3 APG,s totalling £6-£7 were voided on the receipt .

Hour later two of those Apg,s worked at customer services and the third £3 one didnt .
    So the system or cashier is failing I often wondered if it was cashier issue ?.
    • MalF
    • By MalF 11th Oct 18, 12:48 AM
    • 22 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    MalF
    Had another go at self service trying to find or bring up the key pad to enter the Apg number going via
    -Pay now
    -Other payment types
    -Coupons
    with no luck at all .
    Assistant came over and scanned one of the two APG,s then scanned one receipt successfully .
    Only one receipt would scan so we entered the second receipt number manually as thats when the keypad comes up on screen after scanning the APG ..

Cant seem to get a keypad at the start after pressing pay to enter a APG number manually and then receipt number manually .
    If after scanning the APG .....then the keypad comes up on screen to input the receipt number .

So Im still lost on entering both APG and receipt numbers manually .
    I've not had any trouble scanning APGs, but if you want to type the code in manually, you need to press the button to select item from list (on the scanning screen before going to payment), which brings up a keyboard and numerical keypad so you can enter the code. Once you've done that, the box to enter the receipt number pops up (which is a race against time).

The problem I'm having (since Monday) when using APGs on the selfscan checkouts is that on the final screen where it shows which vouchers have been accepted or rejected, where there is normally an OK button to proceed to payment, there is suddenly no OK button, so it is impossible to proceed without getting assistance.

Anybody else getting this problem or have any way around it?
    • TOP CAT
    • By TOP CAT 11th Oct 18, 6:19 AM
    • 98 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    TOP CAT
    Yes I had that exact issue with no OK button to press and continue last sat 6th oct using just two apgs at self service
    That was after scanning the Apg
    The self service operator had to call a supervisor over as she couldnt find the ok to press and continue.
    The week before at self service at another store the staff said the apg,s werent going through at the end and stopped me mid way through ,had to use apg,s at customer services

Soon with lots of only smaller APG,s left I am going to need the self scan but its not looking good if you scan them.

Perhaps if you enter both apg manually and then receipt manually it might work .
    " Wheres my cashback" above suggests thats the way to do it successfully but hasnt responded.

This method with alot of small apg,s its going to take a long time and attract attention
    When that happens the staff often take over and it then fails ......
    Its not a easy thing to do
    Where else can you get further info on apg use from others who might be up to speed... any other threads or forums ?
    I dont do facebook or twitter as I believe facebook had a closed group ?
    Last edited by TOP CAT; 12-10-2018 at 1:46 PM.
    • TOP CAT
    • By TOP CAT 12th Oct 18, 2:00 PM
    • 98 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    TOP CAT
    MalF I hope to try your advice this weekend as follows - you need to press the button to select item from list on the scanning screen before going to payment ?

This is the initial step that I have in the past struggled to find .
    What item on the list am I looking for on the scanning screen before going to payment .?
    Any detail you provide might help ?

Hopefully I finally figure this out soon .
    So far I need to do my main shops using the manned tills with larger apgs and if that doesnt attract supervisors will then try one or two items purchased with 2-3-5 small apgs at the self service .
    As my local has said no more apgs at self service and always steps in the whole thing has to be done at another store to avoid attracting attention at quite times .
    When its busy then its better at self service as in london they are often overstretched so dont get so petty .
    • MalF
    • By MalF 12th Oct 18, 11:30 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    MalF
    MalF I hope to try your advice this weekend as follows - you need to press the button to select item from list on the scanning screen before going to payment ?

This is the initial step that I have in the past struggled to find .
    What item on the list am I looking for on the scanning screen before going to payment .?
    Any detail you provide might help ?

Hopefully I finally figure this out soon .
    So far I need to do my main shops using the manned tills with larger apgs and if that doesnt attract supervisors will then try one or two items purchased with 2-3-5 small apgs at the self service .
    As my local has said no more apgs at self service and always steps in the whole thing has to be done at another store to avoid attracting attention at quite times .
    When its busy then its better at self service as in london they are often overstretched so dont get so petty .
    Assuming you have the silver-grey interface on the selfscan, there is a button on the scanning screen marked "Search for item" or similar. That lets you search for items via a Qwerty keyboard, or enter barcodes manually if they don't scan (e.g. if a barcode is damaged but you can still read the number).

As you can enter product barcodes, you can also enter APG barcodes. You can do this at any point during scanning.
    • TOP CAT
    • By TOP CAT 13th Oct 18, 1:00 AM
    • 98 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    TOP CAT
    Thanks for your help.... its not easy to get.this late in the game
    With some luck I will have another self service go this weekend at a store away from my local stores and finally manage this via manual input of both apg and receipt barcodes .

Have you overcome the lack of Ok button when scanning the Apg and Receipt or have any news on that ?
    I have only managed one successful self scan shop of about 4 Apgs scanning the apgs and
    doing a manually input of the receipt ..
    On three other occasions at SS ....twice the machines froze up and the othe 3rd time r needed a supervisor to override .
    Not a great track record !
    Last edited by TOP CAT; 13-10-2018 at 1:04 AM.
    • MalF
    • By MalF 13th Oct 18, 7:10 AM
    • 22 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    MalF
    Thanks for your help.... its not easy to get.this late in the game
    With some luck I will have another self service go this weekend at a store away from my local stores and finally manage this via manual input of both apg and receipt barcodes .

Have you overcome the lack of Ok button when scanning the Apg and Receipt or have any news on that ?
    I have only managed one successful self scan shop of about 4 Apgs scanning the apgs and
    doing a manually input of the receipt ..
    On three other occasions at SS ....twice the machines froze up and the othe 3rd time r needed a supervisor to override .
    Not a great track record !
    I found that it was only one terminal that had the OK problem, so I moved on to another. It must've been a glitch on that particular one.
    • TOP CAT
    • By TOP CAT 13th Oct 18, 9:55 AM
    • 98 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    TOP CAT
    Another issue I often get is Void apgs at the checkouts when doing 5-6-7-8 apgs on one shop sometimes its only 1 but it has been 2 or even 3 apgs are voided in one transaction or shop and they wont take them .
    In some stores they put them through as MNFTRS COUPON except my local stores wont do that .
    Generally they can be used later but sometimes they show up as voided a second time .so I give up on them .
    I often wondered if these void apgs are staff at the checkout making errors processing the apgs as I have used these voided apgs only minutes or hours later at the customer services desk ?
    • MalF
    • By MalF 13th Oct 18, 11:24 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    MalF
    Another issue I often get is Void apgs at the checkouts when doing 5-6-7-8 apgs on one shop sometimes its only 1 but it has been 2 or even 3 apgs are voided in one transaction or shop and they wont take them .
    In some stores they put them through as MNFTRS COUPON except my local stores wont do that .
    Generally they can be used later but sometimes they show up as voided a second time .so I give up on them .
    I often wondered if these void apgs are staff at the checkout making errors processing the apgs as I have used these voided apgs only minutes or hours later at the customer services desk ?
    The only voided APGs I've ever had have been as a result of either voucher or receipt barcode not scanning correctly (damaged or dirty or when receipts have been mixed up).

There is little scope for error with APGs as long as the codes are entered correctly by barcode or by hand. It is impossible to use an already used voucher, or one past its expiry etc, or without the correct receipt, so as long as it's genuine it is usable.

Chances are you're using so many together that rushed checkout staff make data entry errors. Customer Services generally don't have such a big queue building up and impacting on their efficiency rates!
    • TOP CAT
    • By TOP CAT 14th Oct 18, 3:09 AM
    • 98 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    TOP CAT
    Again thanks for your opinion and advice I believe its accurate on the void apg episodes .
    Interesting you dont sound like you get them as often as I do .
    I always checked my receipts and marked the value on them first in ink long before printing apgs and finally stapling together .
    I have noticed that hand scanners are often broken and certain staff are very efficient while others seem to be just attempting or not trying very hard .ie not practised or competent at doing it and in some cases just hate on you and the apgs .
    Recently I ask first if they can manage apgs and if they say no I go elsewhere some seem good with this .approach others seem concerned I am even asking a question .
    • MalF
    • By MalF 14th Oct 18, 3:23 AM
    • 22 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    MalF
    Again thanks for your opinion and advice I believe its accurate on the void apg episodes .
    Interesting you dont sound like you get them as often as I do .
    I always checked my receipts and marked the value on them first in ink long before printing apgs and finally stapling together .
    I have noticed that hand scanners are often broken and certain staff are very efficient while others seem to be just attempting or not trying very hard .ie not practised or competent at doing it and in some cases just hate on you and the apgs .
    Recently I ask first if they can manage apgs and if they say no I go elsewhere some seem good with this .approach others seem concerned I am even asking a question .

I haven't used an APG at a regular checkout for some time, as I was fed up with the petulance of checkout staff. Last time I did it the woman looked at me like something she'd scraped off her shoe. So much for ASDA's "happy to help" motto...

When I used to do it though, most staff would just automatically (without even trying to scan) put them through as generic manufacturer coupons, which always struck me as odd.

I'm fairly sure most staff will be very glad to see the back of APGs - except cleaning staff. I notice since the 3rd of October, my local's car park is always very untidy with receipts.
    • MalF
    • By MalF 1st Nov 18, 1:45 AM
    • 22 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    MalF
    End of an era. Sad times.
    • TOP CAT
    • By TOP CAT 21st Nov 18, 4:00 PM
    • 98 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    TOP CAT
    Yes its a great disappointment although I dont have too spend so much personal time that was involved or listen to the negative opinionated staff which was the greatest hurdle to using apgs .
    I doubt we will see anything like the Asda apg again but hope too be wrong .
    If it had continued for longer then I would have figured out the self service as i picked up on it still practising the other day with no apgs .

Recently the hybrid self service till for trollys gave back a transaction on my gift card in cash.
    The assistant didnt have a clue pressing the key pad madly so he got someone who did and she spoke to a collugue about it spitting out cash from a gift card so it obviousely wasnt supposed too .

I never mastered the self service manual input in the end as time was pressing but did have some luck with a helpful customer service lady using many of my small apgs up .

On my very last shop using the last 3 smaller apgs the checkout lady had a ongoing moan about one .89p apg and refused to use it after first trying it on .... not wanting too accept any at all at first . .

So i then went straight over to the self service area and used that last refused apg with no trouble at all ..
    The last months Oct apg total was a personal best in my limited 9 months of use.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,701Posts Today

4,553Users online

Martin's Twitter