Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Laura
    • By MSE Laura 4th Sep 18, 2:28 PM
    • 96Posts
    • 83Thanks
    MSE Laura
    MoneySaving Bake Off - how do you save money on ingredients?
    • 4th Sep 18, 2:28 PM
    MoneySaving Bake Off - how do you save money on ingredients? 4th Sep 18 at 2:28 PM
    With the return of The Great British Bake Off last week, many have been bitten by the baking bug again - whether that's making the cakes or just eating them. Yet baking can often become quite expensive once you start looking at all the ingredients you'll need.

Read the full blog: The Great MoneySaving Bake Off: How I made a batch of brownies for 4 that tasted BETTER than my usual 8 version
Page 2
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 14th Sep 18, 9:07 PM
    • 11,281 Posts
    • 30,163 Thanks
    suki1964
    My hens eggs I sell as Happy Hens eggs as whilst they cant free range, they have access at all times to our garden and the field behind us with trees to perch in and shelter under and lots of dry soil to bath in, as well as freedom to go in and out of their coop as they like

However I feed them a commercial feed to ensure they are getting what they need

I couldn't sell my hens eggs at the same price as supermarkets. I don't make any profit, what I have available to sell only covers their feed and some of their sundry costs

If I was on a tight budget and needed to ensure my family were well fed, I would be buying eggs as cheaply as possible and I wouldn't worry about buying caged hens eggs

I don't understand why people get their knickers in a twist about battery hens whilst still drinking milk and eating bacon
    if you lend someone 20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • Olliebeak1951
    • By Olliebeak1951 14th Sep 18, 10:38 PM
    • 127 Posts
    • 861 Thanks
    Olliebeak1951
    Have to admit that I mostly buy SmartPrice / Everyday Essential Eggs - and, like others have said, that is due to 'what I can afford' . However, at the charity shop where I volunteer, we have a customer who sometimes comes in with eggs from her own chooks that 'free-range' in her own large garden. 1 for 6 LARGE Eggs and they are beautiful .................... but she doesn't have enough 'spare' to keep us all going on a regular basis. When I get them, they are a REAL TREAT - medium-boiled with buttered toast soldiers !
    • Olliebeak1951
    • By Olliebeak1951 14th Sep 18, 10:56 PM
    • 127 Posts
    • 861 Thanks
    Olliebeak1951
    When buying 'baking ingredients', I make a list of what I want and then open the websites for the various supermarkets around where I live, so that I can check the prices to compare before going out to buy them. With a bus pass, I can get to two or three shops easily in one day ................. Tesco is half a mile away - A$DA around 2mls - Lidl also 2mls slightly different direction - Aldi around 4mls in same direction as Lidl.

I never leave shopping for ingredients until the last possible minute - that's how I end up having to pay 'full price' or 'over price' (ie local McColl's).

Today I bought Clover for 'personal use' (2.00 for 1kg in A$DA) - ASDA Buttery spread for 'cake baking' (1.85 for 1kg) and SmartPrice Butter for shortbread for McM Coffee Morning (1.45 for 250gms).

I NEVER pay a lot for flour - I buy 'supermarket very basic' (45p for 1.5kg/3lbs) and make sure that I sieve it a couple of times . The only flour that I have to pay far more for is my 'Gluten Free Flour' - but even then, I check it out on the websites before going to get some - ranges from around 1.50 per kilo (2lbs) for Asda's own upto 1.70 for Branded in Tesco.
    • Wraithlady
    • By Wraithlady 15th Sep 18, 7:01 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 175 Thanks
    Wraithlady
    While I'm here.....
    does anyone know where I can get nuts for cooking inexpensively?
    Originally posted by LameWolf
    Not exactly dirt-cheap, but Amazon do nuts in bulk (1 kg bags) which may be what you're looking for, or there's RealFoodSource.com (only used them once, to be fair but can't remember any problems). If you're a Costco member, they do pecans and suchlike relatively cheaply.

Personally, I wait until Holland & Barrett are having one of their penny sales which includes nuts (they don't always), then buy multiples of 2 of the larger bags of almonds etc But then again, that's mainly for baking and cereal for us.
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 15th Sep 18, 8:05 PM
    • 3,615 Posts
    • 33,034 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Lamewolf - do you have a branch of Grape Tree that you or Mr Wolf can get to? ATM they advertise on their website 1kg of Premium mixed nuts for 9.99, they do sell on line, but the P&P is I think 5.99

My small town has an H&B and a Grape Tree, I mostly check the prices of both, including special offers on line and spend my dosh at the cheapest
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

269Posts Today

3,833Users online

Martin's Twitter