Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • civil12345
    • By civil12345 4th Sep 18, 11:39 AM
    • 165Posts
    • 8Thanks
    civil12345
    Dash cam
    • 4th Sep 18, 11:39 AM
    Dash cam 4th Sep 18 at 11:39 AM
    Hi, I want to get a front and rear dash cam for my car. I know nothing about them. I've been looking at some for 40-50 on ebay. Are these any good or do I need to pay more and get it properly fitted? Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks
Page 1
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 4th Sep 18, 11:40 AM
    • 11,986 Posts
    • 8,730 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 4th Sep 18, 11:40 AM
    • 4th Sep 18, 11:40 AM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=33&v=DGXiXz6QXQ4
    • bengalknights
    • By bengalknights 4th Sep 18, 11:49 AM
    • 4,469 Posts
    • 1,636 Thanks
    bengalknights
    • 4th Sep 18, 11:49 AM
    • 4th Sep 18, 11:49 AM
    Do you want bells & whistles or easy to use?

There are different devices for different budgets example manufacturers below

High end - Black Vue
    Mid - Hikvison/Next Base
    Budget - Mi/Yi/Viofo
    • civil12345
    • By civil12345 4th Sep 18, 12:50 PM
    • 165 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    civil12345
    • 4th Sep 18, 12:50 PM
    • 4th Sep 18, 12:50 PM
    Hi, thanks for the quick responses. Preferably just easy to use.
    • bigisi
    • By bigisi 4th Sep 18, 12:52 PM
    • 425 Posts
    • 763 Thanks
    bigisi
    • 4th Sep 18, 12:52 PM
    • 4th Sep 18, 12:52 PM
    Countless threads on here about them, try a forum search.
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 4th Sep 18, 3:34 PM
    • 9,080 Posts
    • 9,477 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 4th Sep 18, 3:34 PM
    • 4th Sep 18, 3:34 PM
    As well as all the other threads, did you miss the Dashcam Sticky ..?
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 10th Nov 18, 1:30 PM
    • 1,730 Posts
    • 629 Thanks
    sevenhills
    • 10th Nov 18, 1:30 PM
    • 10th Nov 18, 1:30 PM
    Originally posted by pogofish

I just looked in that thread and the most recent post is 4 years old.
    Me too, just for a plug-in simple to use dashcam.
    What should we look for, how many pixels, pause button, night vision, mounting method, sixe of viewer, etc

• atrixblue.-MFR-.
    • By atrixblue.-MFR-. 10th Nov 18, 1:49 PM
    • 6,608 Posts
    • 4,570 Thanks
    atrixblue.-MFR-.
    • 10th Nov 18, 1:49 PM
    • 10th Nov 18, 1:49 PM
    I just looked in that thread and the most recent post is 4 years old.
    Me too, just for a plug-in simple to use dashcam.
    What should we look for, how many pixels, pause button, night vision, mounting method, sixe of viewer, etc
    Originally posted by sevenhills
    night vision wouldn't bother with a camera with this feature all you'll see in the footage of nighttime is glare off the windscreens due to the LED's that provide nightvision infrared/green.

You want a minimum of High definition recording so 1080x1920 x30FPS minimum to have any change of capturing numperplates for e.g

a protected footage button this is usually a button that has a red caution symbol on it, and say someone crashes infront of you you press it, it protects the file from over write and places the footage into a separate file on SD card.

some people love GPS personally this could count against you if you crash and have your dashcam seized so I don't bother much with it.

I have an Aukey DR02 D. I would say avoid this as mine has gone faulty and all I have for front footage is a tunnel the sensor has gone.

Nextbase upto the 412gw I wouldn't call MID end I would call it mid end price with low end specification, your buying a brand essentially its like buying Nike trainers for 150 but the materials and quality are more like 50,00.

theres Kenwood, Garmin, MIO, RAC, Blackview and many many many more brands out there.

Techmoan recommends the Aukey DRO2 D. (I already have a replacement for my cam that's a Blackview 750 and I have also bought a "Cpl" filter for it.

I would recommend a CPL "polarising" filter purely for glare from the sun on wet roads windscreens and such stops the sensor trying to adjust saturation too much and you end up with all dark forground and distance flared out footage.

EDIT: SD card type is also important, some camera's don't like class 5,6,7 cards and you end up with footage quality loss everything looks like a game of Minecraft all blocky. I had a class 10 and had no issues but even some camera's don't like the format or the type of class 10 card, mine now is a V90 meaning its high speed data transfer card and very expensive class 10 would be ample. but be sure to make sure that you buy or exceed what the manufacturer is recommending for capacity and speed.
    Last edited by atrixblue.-MFR-.; 10-11-2018 at 1:59 PM.

• AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 10th Nov 18, 2:24 PM
    • 19,093 Posts
    • 17,486 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 10th Nov 18, 2:24 PM
    • 10th Nov 18, 2:24 PM
    Make sure you can see some genuine footage from each camera. Remember, it's absolutely useless unless you can clearly read number plates on other vehicles.
    • Scrapit
    • By Scrapit 10th Nov 18, 2:54 PM
    • 111 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    Scrapit
    Originally posted by pogofish
    I did. The only sticky I see on my phone is the radio codes one.
    • RichardD1970
    • By RichardD1970 10th Nov 18, 2:59 PM
    • 3,062 Posts
    • 4,550 Thanks
    RichardD1970
    Make sure you can see some genuine footage from each camera. Remember, it's absolutely useless unless you can clearly read number plates on other vehicles.
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    Not really. If you have an accident and exchange details you already know the reg so the footage is useful if there is a dispute over sequence of events/blame etc.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 10th Nov 18, 3:00 PM
    • 19,093 Posts
    • 17,486 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Not really. If you have an accident and exchange details you already know the reg
    Originally posted by RichardD1970
    Well, thank goodness there's never ever any collisions where the other vehicle fails to stop...
    • RichardD1970
    • By RichardD1970 10th Nov 18, 3:21 PM
    • 3,062 Posts
    • 4,550 Thanks
    RichardD1970
    Well, thank goodness there's never ever any collisions where the other vehicle fails to stop...
    But you said, categorically, that it was absolutely useless if you can't read the plate.

It isn't.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 10th Nov 18, 3:46 PM
    • 19,093 Posts
    • 17,486 Thanks
    AdrianC
    OK, it's just useless in most situations that you'd actually want a dashcam.
    • atrixblue.-MFR-.
    • By atrixblue.-MFR-. 10th Nov 18, 3:59 PM
    • 6,608 Posts
    • 4,570 Thanks
    atrixblue.-MFR-.
    OK, it's just useless in most situations that you'd actually want a dashcam.
    one car crashes into op cars theres a dispute of liability, Don't need plate numbers on cam as details exchanged at the scene. dashcam is more than useless.

Hit and run, cam footage not great blurry but has partial plate and face of the driver, more than useless.

Most if not all cams these days are good enough to pick up licence plate numbers now anyway.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

453Posts Today

5,224Users online

Martin's Twitter