Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • diz79
    • By diz79 3rd Sep 18, 8:49 PM
    • 215Posts
    • 0Thanks
    diz79
    Ipad Stolen??
    • 3rd Sep 18, 8:49 PM
    Ipad Stolen?? 3rd Sep 18 at 8:49 PM
    Hi Hope im in the right place, I wondered if anyone could help me, I purchased an Ipad in December last year, barely used it so sold it on ebay, sent it last Tuesday special delivery.

I got this message today from the buyer

This item has had a checkmend assessment done on it and has been reported as lost/stolen please let me know what is going on with this immediately or I will contact police and eBay.

Firstly is there a way I can still check this myself and secondly why has it taken them this long to respond, granted they may have only just checked it?

I also found this is it common?

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Buyer-says-my-iPhone-was-stolen/qaq-p/24420249

Would really appreciate some feedback as its 200 down the drain, thanks in advacne
Page 1
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 4th Sep 18, 8:00 AM
    • 2,706 Posts
    • 1,332 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 4th Sep 18, 8:00 AM
    • 4th Sep 18, 8:00 AM
    You've got all of your answers on the link you posted yourself.

Pay 1.99 at Checkmend (presuming you can find the imei number, paperwork or bills maybe) and find out if they're telling the truth.

https://www.checkmend.com/uk/consumer/checking?gclid=CjwKCAjwt7PcBRBbEiwAfwfVGJLvocVF1jl BaXc1X3d41qrEP6Uj87DDrQiBi8l1QrN9dxFCFQMRFhoCvkwQA vD_BwE
    • diz79
    • By diz79 4th Sep 18, 8:40 AM
    • 215 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    diz79
    • 4th Sep 18, 8:40 AM
    • 4th Sep 18, 8:40 AM
    Sorry, I kind of meant how can I find imei number without having tablet now does anybody know, Thanks ?
    • Marcio45
    • By Marcio45 4th Sep 18, 9:26 AM
    • 194 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    Marcio45
    • 4th Sep 18, 9:26 AM
    • 4th Sep 18, 9:26 AM
    Diz,
    I am guessing you no longer have the box. What about a receipt/invoice?
    • Alter ego
    • By Alter ego 4th Sep 18, 9:48 AM
    • 2,450 Posts
    • 2,418 Thanks
    Alter ego
    • 4th Sep 18, 9:48 AM
    • 4th Sep 18, 9:48 AM
    Where/how did you buy it?
    Ignore me if you like, it's not the real me anyway.
    • Alter ego
    • By Alter ego 4th Sep 18, 9:51 AM
    • 2,450 Posts
    • 2,418 Thanks
    Alter ego
    • 4th Sep 18, 9:51 AM
    • 4th Sep 18, 9:51 AM
    sent it last Tuesday special delivery.

why has it taken them this long to respond, granted they may have only just checked it?
    Originally posted by diz79

Last Tuesday is not so long ago!!
    Ignore me if you like, it's not the real me anyway.
    • diz79
    • By diz79 4th Sep 18, 1:23 PM
    • 215 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    diz79
    • 4th Sep 18, 1:23 PM
    • 4th Sep 18, 1:23 PM
    I Bought in on ebay so no receipt or anything was second hand. maybe I should just ask for it back bit worried ?
    • diz79
    • By diz79 4th Sep 18, 2:31 PM
    • 215 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    diz79
    • 4th Sep 18, 2:31 PM
    They have responded is this enough to give a refund on ebay??

• DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 4th Sep 18, 2:31 PM
    • 32,543 Posts
    • 20,476 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Its in the wrong forum, not sure which 1 would be better as we dont have a "My iPad stolen" thread.
    • iniltous
    • By iniltous 4th Sep 18, 5:44 PM
    • 1,667 Posts
    • 652 Thanks
    iniltous
    If you bought it on Ebay, perhaps you ( inadvertently) bought a lost or stolen item, you resell it , and the person who bought it from you was more diligent in checking it's past, and discovered it wasn't really yours to sell.
    It puts you in difficult position , if the buyer agrees to return it if you refund the purchase costs etc, you get it back but you have an item that has ( presumably) a dodgy history.
    Perhaps you could peruse the Ebayer who sold it to you in the first place..how long has to elapse after the sale before a 'dispute' on Ebay cannot be raised ?
    Last edited by iniltous; 04-09-2018 at 5:48 PM.
    • diz79
    • By diz79 5th Sep 18, 1:24 PM
    • 215 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    diz79
    I bought the item last year I think the time to contact the ebayer is only 3 months right?
    • macman
    • By macman 5th Sep 18, 5:15 PM
    • 42,663 Posts
    • 17,938 Thanks
    macman
    The IMEI is shown on the Checkmend report under 'Identifier 1': the 15 digit number.
    Always record the IMEI no. when selling phones or tablets to avoid being scammed. Otherwise that report could refer to any iPad, and you cannot prove it isn't the one you sold.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • simonbk
    • By simonbk 10th Sep 18, 8:03 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    simonbk
    It looks like the buyer has tried to resell the iPad to Music Magpie (that's the company that paid for that report) and they've told them they won't buy it because it's blocked on some networks. That is, of course, assuming that IMEI is the same one you sold them...

It's not showing as reported lost or stolen to the police, though, and no insurance claim was made against it, so there could be another reason it's blocked, e.g. the original owner defaulting on contract payments.

Presumably by now you've requested it back so that you can verify the IMEI is correct?
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 11th Sep 18, 9:20 AM
    • 8,993 Posts
    • 6,724 Thanks
    pmduk
    The OP could well be an innocent party in this, having sold a legit iPad, sadly without keeping track of the IMEI, thereby allowing the recipient to attempt to flog a stolen iPad to Music Magpie.
    • diz79
    • By diz79 15th Sep 18, 12:41 PM
    • 215 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    diz79
    Ebay offered them a refund without returning it, then I rang them and they refunded me back, I explained id purchased it off ebay originally.

Thanks for all imput
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

507Posts Today

6,563Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin