Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • klew356
    • By klew356 3rd Sep 18, 7:28 AM
    • 433Posts
    • 2,279Thanks
    klew356
    scary world of house buying
    • 3rd Sep 18, 7:28 AM
    scary world of house buying 3rd Sep 18 at 7:28 AM
    Hi all,

I am a potential first time buyer with no clue what I am doing, I have obviously read articles from martin and stuff on the internet and friends experiences but still feel a bit out of my depth.
    I have had a mortgage promise from the bank
    I am booking an appointment this week to see a mortgage adviser
    I have requested a viewing of a house that I like
    I have a quote for conveyancing from the bank but I feel I should be asking for quotes too – can I just email round the local ones to get the best deal? I don’t have a will should I be asking for them to quote for this too?
    Single pringle here trying to do it all!
Page 4
    • AlexMac
    • By AlexMac 15th Oct 18, 12:56 PM
    • 2,324 Posts
    • 2,027 Thanks
    AlexMac
    Stick with it Klew- and keep posting updates (more entertaining than current TV fare of "Strictly..." and Royal babies!).

Don't write off the new option; if it's been on since Feb with no acceptances they must soon lose their unshakeable faith that they have the best house in the street, lol. So leave your offer on the table but keep looking.

As I've said in past posts, every house we've bought (8-10 over 40 odd years?) came as a result of happenstance or fluke; often after losing another we were pursuing. And every one was a success.

And I love your references, above, to the intrusive nature of the small town grapevine! We experienced that; offered (in about three increasing increments after a cheeky start) on a seaside flat in a small town 90 miles away. Heard nothing all week; rang late Friday to hear we'd been accepted. Debated whether to tell my niece who was born in the seaside town but now lives 5 miles up the road (as our offer being accepted is far from us securing the gaff).... Decided to... to find that she picked up the news on the street on that immediate Saturday that "your uncle Sandy's bought a house"; From a friend of a friend of the Agent to whom I had not even mentionaed a local family link!

If you want anonymity, move to London!

Happy hunting
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 15th Oct 18, 10:19 PM
    • 7,673 Posts
    • 2,795 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    so they have knocked another 5k off the asking price - still a no from me
    Originally posted by klew356

Great news.....
    • klew356
    • By klew356 16th Oct 18, 11:46 AM
    • 433 Posts
    • 2,279 Thanks
    klew356
    The most frustrating thing is no other house has come on the market, not even one I cant afford!, il keep looking, patiently! Still no offers in on the house and the other one is still sitting there too – I want a housssseeeeeee
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 16th Oct 18, 1:17 PM
    • 21,785 Posts
    • 20,497 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Are you getting many viewings?
    If not, the EA details are lousy or it's too expensive.
    If you are, then there's something about the presentation that's disappointing people after seeing the details.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 16th Oct 18, 2:50 PM
    • 7,673 Posts
    • 2,795 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    Are you getting many viewings?
    If not, the EA details are lousy or it's too expensive.
    If you are, then there's something about the presentation that's disappointing people after seeing the details.
    Originally posted by AdrianC

Or people are just not "House Hunting" like they used to?
    • klew356
    • By klew356 22nd Oct 18, 10:24 AM
    • 433 Posts
    • 2,279 Thanks
    klew356
    I haven’t been to see any after that one? The ea haven’t been in touch again, its not a big area I am looking to buy in tbh, a small town.
    • klew356
    • By klew356 22nd Oct 18, 10:25 AM
    • 433 Posts
    • 2,279 Thanks
    klew356
    Or people are just not "House Hunting" like they used to?
    Originally posted by Crashy Time
    Im not selling im desperate to buy
    • ACG
    • By ACG 22nd Oct 18, 11:00 AM
    • 18,716 Posts
    • 10,326 Thanks
    ACG
    We have found last October and this October have been quite quiet.
    Last November was quite busy though - oddly it was the last 2 weeks in November. I could be wrong but I think it is because if you make an offer now, people are still going to be pushing to complete before Christmas which is a load of stress. By mid November, it is unlikely anyone making an application will be completing before Christmas so you never know new houses may come on in the next month.
    Last edited by ACG; 22-10-2018 at 11:12 AM.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 22nd Oct 18, 11:14 AM
    • 32,194 Posts
    • 63,537 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    thank you for the link it was most helpful, not planning on going anywhere soon but i would rather it went to my godchildren than random aunts of cousins i havent seen or heard of in years!
    So if you want it to go to a specific person, or charity, then a will is necessary. If you use a solicitor for your conveyancing (rather than a licensed conveyancer), then they will be able to do it for you.

Or you can do it yourself if you feel competent: https://www.gov.uk/make-will/writing-your-will

And you say you are 'not planning to go anywhere soon' - well none of us are, we could all be hit by a car tomorrow. Do it as soon as possible.
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
    • klew356
    • By klew356 20th Nov 18, 9:24 AM
    • 433 Posts
    • 2,279 Thanks
    klew356
    no new houses posted in the area in the last month, sigh
    • klew356
    • By klew356 15th Apr 19, 7:19 AM
    • 433 Posts
    • 2,279 Thanks
    klew356
    So I have found a house, the OIRO was 90k I put an offer in of 80k, a cheeky offer maybe but I’m in the position of a fairly quick sale and you can but try, the offer was declined but basically said thanks for the offer but if you meet us halfway we would accept. Now, the house needs some external work guttering etc and internally it needs decorated top to bottom, a new boiler currently a back boiler and some electrical work. I don’t know how much electrical work as I am no electrician. Would it be fair to ask for a third viewing but maybe take an electrician with me before I maybe up my offer? First time buyer unsure of my next move please help!
    My offer was subject to survey etc
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 15th Apr 19, 7:30 AM
    • 27,840 Posts
    • 98,980 Thanks
    Davesnave
    A small house rewire might be £3.5k - £5k depending on area, but an electrician won't be able to test it properly on a viewing.

It would maybe be best to get the survey done (showing good intent) and an electrical report seperately before negotiating further. Ask the surveyor to include a valuation, which you don't need to show to anyone,
    'I've suffered for my music, now it's your turn.' Neil Innes, introducing 'Protest Song.'
    • klew356
    • By klew356 15th Apr 19, 8:03 AM
    • 433 Posts
    • 2,279 Thanks
    klew356
    Thanks for the advice!
    So would they do an electrical report at the time of the survey or would I have to arrange a separate electrical report by someone else? How much approx. do they cost?
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 15th Apr 19, 8:23 AM
    • 27,840 Posts
    • 98,980 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Thanks for the advice!
    So would they do an electrical report at the time of the survey or would I have to arrange a separate electrical report by someone else? How much approx. do they cost?
    Surveyors dont do electrical condition reports, which is why I said 'seperately.' I don't know the exact cost, but it should be under £200.

I'm assuming you have seen something alerting you to potentially dud electrics, but remember older installations may not be dangerous. You'd not have a case for reducing the price just because there are fewer sockets than you'd like or an older fuse box, for example.
    'I've suffered for my music, now it's your turn.' Neil Innes, introducing 'Protest Song.'
    • klew356
    • By klew356 15th Apr 19, 10:44 AM
    • 433 Posts
    • 2,279 Thanks
    klew356
    Thanks you! It needs a new consumer unit but they cant tell me any information about the wiring, im just not keen to not find out about the wiring, it may not need done but I would rather know now
    • s_glover
    • By s_glover 15th Apr 19, 1:09 PM
    • 478 Posts
    • 1,423 Thanks
    s_glover
    As Davesnave suggested get an electrical survey completed. This shouldn't be too expensive and will highlight any areas which need improvement and give you a good idea what you would be needing to do in terms of work.

If you have a look on the NICEIC website they have a list of registered electricians which you can search for in your area.
    • klew356
    • By klew356 16th Apr 19, 7:14 AM
    • 433 Posts
    • 2,279 Thanks
    klew356
    hi all,

i think i will email the EA tomorrow - im going to sleep on it tonight and see how i feel in the morning, had a good chat with a friend last night - im scared of these adult decisions i think
    • klew356
    • By klew356 18th Apr 19, 8:08 AM
    • 433 Posts
    • 2,279 Thanks
    klew356
    **update**

myself and electrician going to the house after the bank holiday to get an idea of what needs done
    • s_glover
    • By s_glover 18th Apr 19, 9:59 AM
    • 478 Posts
    • 1,423 Thanks
    s_glover
    **update**

myself and electrician going to the house after the bank holiday to get an idea of what needs done
    Good decision.I hope it goes well and you don't find too much work is needed.
    Either way taking this approach you will know what is needed.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,451Posts Today

4,275Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin