Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • smitherz87
    • By smitherz87 2nd Sep 18, 3:35 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    smitherz87
    Tesco Credit Card 0% 36 Months
    • 2nd Sep 18, 3:35 PM
    Tesco Credit Card 0% 36 Months 2nd Sep 18 at 3:35 PM
    Hi,

I am looking for a bit of advice.

I have the above credit card as the thread title suggests. I recently transfered the remaining balance from a car finance to the credit card and I noticed I had some fees in my last card statement. I phoned customer service from Tesco Bank and they told me that it was treated as a cash transfer, so not only do I have to pay a fee I also now have 30% APR applied to the full balance until it has been cleared. Apparently this have been the case since April/May this year.

I feel a little ripped off as my car finance was already 0% and I only transfered the debt in order to sell the car. Anyone else heard of this? Can this be classed as a cash transfer?

They also said they wrote to me about the change, I dont recall ever reading this and I am not the type to chuck any communication in the bin, unless it was buried in some small print.
Page 1
    • Willing2Learn
    • By Willing2Learn 2nd Sep 18, 3:38 PM
    • 2,593 Posts
    • 2,133 Thanks
    Willing2Learn
    • 2nd Sep 18, 3:38 PM
    • 2nd Sep 18, 3:38 PM
    Hi,

Unfortunately you needed a 0% money transfer card for the transfer for the loan. Can you get another BT card to transfer from the 30% Tesco card?

Edit: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/money-transfers/
    Last edited by Willing2Learn; 02-09-2018 at 3:49 PM.
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

• smitherz87
    • By smitherz87 2nd Sep 18, 3:50 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    smitherz87
    • 2nd Sep 18, 3:50 PM
    • 2nd Sep 18, 3:50 PM
    That was my next thought to get another then transfer the balance again. I was a little confused by Tesco saying they had recently made that changed that has incurred me these charges.

Also why call it cash as by definition cash was not involved?
    • molerat
    • By molerat 2nd Sep 18, 4:23 PM
    • 20,421 Posts
    • 14,714 Thanks
    molerat
    • 2nd Sep 18, 4:23 PM
    • 2nd Sep 18, 4:23 PM
    It is a "cash like" transaction, paying off non credit card finance with a credit card has always been 50/50 with any card. Tesco have recently become very strict over what is a cash transaction - recent thread about cashless school dinner card top up being treated as a cash transaction.
    https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/give-support/donate-now/
    • SnowTiger
    • By SnowTiger 2nd Sep 18, 4:57 PM
    • 3,588 Posts
    • 2,581 Thanks
    SnowTiger
    • 2nd Sep 18, 4:57 PM
    • 2nd Sep 18, 4:57 PM
    That was my next thought to get another then transfer the balance again. I was a little confused by Tesco saying they had recently made that changed that has incurred me these charges.

Also why call it cash as by definition cash was not involved?
    Originally posted by smitherz87
    Tesco updated their credit card T&Cs a few months ago. They sent a leaflet out to customers: https://www.tescobank.com/assets/sections/credit-cards/pdf/tb-credit-cards-personal-nov.pdf.

The expanded the definition of cash.
    • dazzaofdagenham
    • By dazzaofdagenham 2nd Sep 18, 7:06 PM
    • 1,233 Posts
    • 400 Thanks
    dazzaofdagenham
    • 2nd Sep 18, 7:06 PM
    • 2nd Sep 18, 7:06 PM
    It is a "cash like" transaction, paying off non credit card finance with a credit card has always been 50/50 with any card. Tesco have recently become very strict over what is a cash transaction - recent thread about cashless school dinner card top up being treated as a cash transaction.
    Originally posted by molerat
    Yeah that was me.....topped up kids school dinner account....tney call it squidcard ( use fingerprint to buy food ) ...

So didnít realise this was treated as a cash transaction and attracted fee / interest....
    Lesson learnt
    • Elvie100
    • By Elvie100 2nd Sep 18, 7:30 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Elvie100
    • 2nd Sep 18, 7:30 PM
    • 2nd Sep 18, 7:30 PM
    Tesco updated their credit card T&Cs a few months ago. They sent a leaflet out to customers: https://www.tescobank.com/assets/sections/credit-cards/pdf/tb-credit-cards-personal-nov.pdf.

The expanded the definition of cash.
    Originally posted by SnowTiger
    Slightly off topic, but thanks for posting that link. It just reminded me to change my statement date to tomorrow otherwise I would be missing a DD for my Halifax account for September as they have pushed it back to 25 days instead of 20. I know it is only £3 but still......
    Last edited by Elvie100; 02-09-2018 at 7:32 PM. Reason: Off topic
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

96Posts Today

1,815Users online

Martin's Twitter