Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gazfocus
    • By gazfocus 31st Aug 18, 10:10 PM
    • 1,933Posts
    • 509Thanks
    gazfocus
    Being pressured to contribute towards fence
    • 31st Aug 18, 10:10 PM
    Being pressured to contribute towards fence 31st Aug 18 at 10:10 PM
    Ok, so some time ago, the owner of the house behind ours knocked on our door and told us that the following day, the fence in between our gardens was being replaced so to keep our dogs inside and asked if we would be wanting to contribute. I said I would be willing to when I can afford it, and he went on his way.

About a week later he came round and told me that my contribution would be £368 (for my share of 6 panels, concrete base boards and concrete posts inc labour). He has asked a few times since for the money and Iíve been honest about my financial situation in that I cannot currently afford it.

My question is, where do I stand legally? He did not consult me before ordering the fence to see if I could afford to contribute, and has not discussed with me the type of fence or anything. It seems he wanted new fence and then expects me to just have the money.

I appreciate itís between both our gardens and Iíve never said I donít want to contribute, but he is obviously disappointed that I canít afford it and has now taken to messaging my works Facebook page asking about what we do when people donít pay money they owe.

Technically, I donít feel I Ďoweí them anything as any contribution would be wholly voluntary, but if they are going to cause problems for me at work, Iím going to be less inclined to give them anything and itís going to cause issues down the line I feel.
Page 5
    • Boohoo
    • By Boohoo 15th Apr 19, 8:29 PM
    • 656 Posts
    • 110 Thanks
    Boohoo
    It seems that the OP has lost the court case because they got they dates wrong for their day in court and their defence was struck out for a no show.

The OP also had 14 days to pay but only got the letter today and the letter was dated 1/04/2019.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 16th Apr 19, 7:54 AM
    • 9,919 Posts
    • 12,863 Thanks
    -taff
    After all that!
    • Boohoo
    • By Boohoo 16th Apr 19, 11:10 AM
    • 656 Posts
    • 110 Thanks
    Boohoo
    After all that!
    Originally posted by -taff
    Yes, i know.

They did offer to pay for half the fencing over 5 months before the court date but never heard back i think and then the OP never attended the hearing so lost the case.
    I have a link here so people can see what happened over all those month's.

https://legalbeagles.info/forums/forum/legal-forums/housing-property-and-neighbours/1423951-being-pursued-for-cost-of-replacement-fence
    • Zola.
    • By Zola. 16th Apr 19, 11:42 AM
    • 1,437 Posts
    • 658 Thanks
    Zola.
    I built a large and fairly expensive fence two years ago between my garden and two other properties... i didn't consult neighbours for money, i just got it done.

Your choice of words has put you on the hook. I would explain your position and offer half. He should have explained how much it was going to cost before starting, but didnt.... so half is maybe fair ?

PS his facebook postings would make me want to give him nothing but a swollen face
    Last edited by Zola.; 16-04-2019 at 11:45 AM.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 16th Apr 19, 12:23 PM
    • 26,628 Posts
    • 71,455 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    I built a large and fairly expensive fence two years ago between my garden and two other properties... i didn't consult neighbours for money, i just got it done.

Your choice of words has put you on the hook. I would explain your position and offer half. He should have explained how much it was going to cost before starting, but didnt.... so half is maybe fair ?

PS his facebook postings would make me want to give him nothing but a swollen face
    Originally posted by Zola.
    80 something posts in and you think we're still answering the OP? What is the point, exactly of commenting if you can't be bothered to read beyond the first post.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • Mistral001
    • By Mistral001 16th Apr 19, 12:55 PM
    • 3,625 Posts
    • 2,779 Thanks
    Mistral001
    The court will treat not turning because you forgot about it or because you lost the letter as being disrespectful to the court. The court is very unlikely to order the plaintiff to come back to court again.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,896Posts Today

7,304Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin