Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Melgiraffe33
    • By Melgiraffe33 31st Aug 18, 3:30 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Melgiraffe33
    Self Build Mortgages
    • 31st Aug 18, 3:30 PM
    Self Build Mortgages 31st Aug 18 at 3:30 PM
    Hi,

My husband and I are looking to build a house next year. I know that with self build mortgages you only get the cash in three installments, the first one being wall plate level. I have a good wage but my husband is a farmer with little income. Our home is 2000sqft and quite modest but perfect for us. We have little in savings and I honestly dont know how people build with a self build mortgage - is it common to get a bridging loan until the mortgage cash comes through? Any advice / info would be appreciated,

many thanks
Page 1
    • Melgiraffe33
    • By Melgiraffe33 31st Aug 18, 4:34 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Melgiraffe33
    • 31st Aug 18, 4:34 PM
    • 31st Aug 18, 4:34 PM
    also if you own the site outright can you get any money upfront to start the build?
    • Chris Bates
    • By Chris Bates 3rd Sep 18, 11:25 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Chris Bates
    • 3rd Sep 18, 11:25 AM
    • 3rd Sep 18, 11:25 AM
    Hi Mel,

I'm not 100% certain if this applies in your area, but certainly in England, Wales & Scotland you can access a different type of self build mortgage that may be more suitable for you.

It works on the same basis (staged payments according to the phase of the project), but you get the cash in advance rather than in arrears.

I don't think I can post the product name under the forum rules, but if you search online for 'advance stage payment mortgage' you should find some providers!

Hope this helps; best of luck with your project!

Chris
    • erincc
    • By erincc 16th Sep 18, 12:05 AM
    • 52 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    erincc
    • 16th Sep 18, 12:05 AM
    • 16th Sep 18, 12:05 AM
    The only banks here that do self build mortgages are Danske and Ulster.
    Danske don't work on stage payments rather as and when you need funds.
    And yes you can get funds to start the build.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

60Posts Today

2,734Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Watching Theresa May... seriously would anyone in their right mind truly want her job right now!

• RT @thecheekypostie: @MartinSLewis Thanks to this, I have just skim read it. To those in Scotland - on page 548, Dounreay is mentioned by n?

• Today's twitter poll: The 585 page draft agreement of the withdrawal of the UK from the EU has been published. A? https://t.co/8YLkPyzqYM

• Follow Martin