Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lolcaz
    • By lolcaz 31st Aug 18, 2:54 PM
    • 27Posts
    • 5Thanks
    lolcaz
    Does anyone else find M&S Bank's fraud department to be a bit overzealous?
    • 31st Aug 18, 2:54 PM
    Does anyone else find M&S Bank's fraud department to be a bit overzealous? 31st Aug 18 at 2:54 PM
    When I first got the card, it was nigh on impossible to actually use the thing as half my transactions got flagged up.
    I've now had the card for around 8 months and I still get transactions declined. The other day, I tried to place an online order for just under 500. Declined, with no reason why. As I've had issues before, I figured it was the fraud thing again. In the past, other banks have given me an automatic call within seconds for me to confirm my transaction. M&S didn't call me until well over an hour later, by which time I was already at work and had placed the order using a different credit card. 500 isn't even an unusual amount for me to order as I order things in several sizes and send most of it back!
    Just wondering if anyone else finds them a little overzealous on declining transactions.
    Psst... Nationwide referrals available.
Page 1
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 31st Aug 18, 5:28 PM
    • 5,448 Posts
    • 3,357 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    • 31st Aug 18, 5:28 PM
    • 31st Aug 18, 5:28 PM
    If you're continuously buying and returned 500 quid items/orders I don't think it's unreasonable for the card provider to be a little more cautious in dealing with you
    • venison
    • By venison 31st Aug 18, 5:32 PM
    • 2,344 Posts
    • 2,580 Thanks
    venison
    • 31st Aug 18, 5:32 PM
    • 31st Aug 18, 5:32 PM
    Better over than under zealous
    Former Board Guide
    • fozmcfc
    • By fozmcfc 1st Sep 18, 7:09 PM
    • 3,012 Posts
    • 2,195 Thanks
    fozmcfc
    • 1st Sep 18, 7:09 PM
    • 1st Sep 18, 7:09 PM
    Not necessarily over zealous, but I've had my card declined about 4 times over about 5 years, since I've had the card.

I do normally get a call within minutes, but once was abroad and didn't get it.

Talking of abroad, it said ring them and let them know and it's less likely your card will get declined. I rang them to tell them beforehand about a trip and the way the person on the phone, was talking, was like, why are you ringing to tell me this. I had to explain I was following advice from M&S Bank themselves.

There foreign customer service isn't the best, but it's far from the worse I've dealt with.
    • sausage_time
    • By sausage_time 2nd Sep 18, 9:58 AM
    • 133 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    sausage_time
    • 2nd Sep 18, 9:58 AM
    • 2nd Sep 18, 9:58 AM
    Yes, and it's annoying. Main account holder is my partner, and when a purchase I've attempted is blocked (3-4 times this year) she is the one that is called. And often she has no idea what its about, which adds to the confusion.
    • juneclarke
    • By juneclarke 2nd Sep 18, 4:05 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    juneclarke
    • 2nd Sep 18, 4:05 PM
    • 2nd Sep 18, 4:05 PM
    Funny thing that, because I came on to ask about the peculiar way M&S is dealing with my request for a balance transfer card. I did a check to ensure I would be accepted and got 95% certainty. Then an email letting me know they had received my application, so far so good Then a letter from them giving me a list of Proofs Of Identity they required from me. Never ever had anything like this, and I have applied for bank accounts and balance transfer cards in the past. Everything is kept in apple pie order, plenty of money in the accounts up to the limit for interest, cards always paid promptly and quickly. Never been turned down yet for anything, yet here is a letter asking for everything but my shoe size. Is this normality from M&S. I feel like stopping the whole procedure, but am concerned it will affect my credit rating if I do. However some of what they want I can't give them. All my utility bills, council tax, water rates are paid online, so no bills. They want copies of these bills that I have had confirmed by various people that it is me, which is a flaming nuisance to start with anyway. If I printed out my utility bills would that count, or do they want hard copy, which I don't have. Seriously want to stop this application and run away to a company that will be pleasant with me and want my custom
    • Willing2Learn
    • By Willing2Learn 2nd Sep 18, 4:07 PM
    • 1,451 Posts
    • 1,100 Thanks
    Willing2Learn
    • 2nd Sep 18, 4:07 PM
    • 2nd Sep 18, 4:07 PM
    Funny thing that, because I came on to ask about the peculiar way M&S is dealing with my request for a balance transfer card. I did a check to ensure I would be accepted and got 95% certainty. Then an email letting me know they had received my application, so far so good Then a letter from them giving me a list of Proofs Of Identity they required from me. Never ever had anything like this, and I have applied for bank accounts and balance transfer cards in the past. Everything is kept in apple pie order, plenty of money in the accounts up to the limit for interest, cards always paid promptly and quickly. Never been turned down yet for anything, yet here is a letter asking for everything but my shoe size. Is this normality from M&S. I feel like stopping the whole procedure, but am concerned it will affect my credit rating if I do... ...Seriously want to stop this application and run away to a company that will be pleasant with me and want my custom
    Originally posted by juneclarke
    M&S have a very slow new customer process. Everything takes days or even weeks...

It doesn't damage your credit file to withdraw your application. The 'hard' search will still be visible to other lenders, but the impact of one search is practically non-existent.
    Last edited by Willing2Learn; 02-09-2018 at 4:12 PM.
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

• lolcaz
    • By lolcaz 15th Sep 18, 5:41 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    lolcaz
    • 15th Sep 18, 5:41 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 5:41 PM
    If you're continuously buying and returned 500 quid items/orders I don't think it's unreasonable for the card provider to be a little more cautious in dealing with you
    Originally posted by Nasqueron
    First time I'd done it on that card! It's maybe once or twice a year that I order clothes online, and I don't think it's unreasonable to order several items in two sizes when they offer free delivery and free returns - it's easier and cheaper than going to a shop!
    Psst... Nationwide referrals available.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,511Posts Today

8,147Users online

Martin's Twitter