Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • martindow
    • By martindow 31st Aug 18, 9:44 AM
    • 7,820Posts
    • 4,488Thanks
    martindow
    0 WOW
    Eurostar Large Luggage
    • 31st Aug 18, 9:44 AM
    0 WOW
    Eurostar Large Luggage 31st Aug 18 at 9:44 AM
    Eurostar say that luggage must not be larger than 85cm although I see in Seat61.com that these limits are not enforced as long as you can easily carry the luggage.

I need to bring back a carton from Paris that will be around 90x70x15cm and weigh no more than 10kg - I'm not sure of the exact size at the moment. It is delicate and quite valuable so I would prefer to carry it in person.

I don't know if this would go through the x-ray machine although I would obviously be able to open it up for inspection. Do you think this could cause a problem?
Page 1
    • martindow
    • By martindow 14th Sep 18, 12:00 PM
    • 7,820 Posts
    • 4,488 Thanks
    martindow
    • 14th Sep 18, 12:00 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 12:00 PM
    I thought I'd come back in case it helps anyone else.

My parcel ended up as within the size limit at 83x80x20cm so no dimension was over 85cm. At Paris no-one was bothered by the size, or measured it and it could have been any size that fits through the scanner. As long as you can carry it anything seems to go.

What is more of a problem is storing it on the train. I was very lucky to have a pair of empty seats by me where it could be kept otherwise I think I would have to have stood with it in the vestibule by the doors.

You can take oversize luggage or bicycles with a company associated with Eurostar called Eurodespatch which has offices at Paris and London and some other stations but not at Ebbsfleet or Ashford. They charge 25 or 30 Pounds. Apparently the luggage normally travels on the same train and is collected from the office on arrival.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 14th Sep 18, 1:09 PM
    • 21,383 Posts
    • 17,211 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 14th Sep 18, 1:09 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 1:09 PM
    I saw someone pulling two very large suitcases up to the security check at St Pancras last week, and I'd estimate that one dimension was over 85cm, no idea if he made it onto the train with them though.
    • martindow
    • By martindow 15th Sep 18, 11:43 AM
    • 7,820 Posts
    • 4,488 Thanks
    martindow
    • 15th Sep 18, 11:43 AM
    • 15th Sep 18, 11:43 AM
    I saw someone pulling two very large suitcases up to the security check at St Pancras last week, and I'd estimate that one dimension was over 85cm, no idea if he made it onto the train with them though.
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    I'm sure they did as it all seemed very casual and you would only get picked up if it would pass through the x-ray scanner.

I was very conscious of seeing the sizes of items going through. In theory, even if you don't exceed the limits, you could take something 85x85x85 and I've no idea where you would put that on the train.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

119Posts Today

1,487Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @laurawithers84: @MartinSLewis Our school is going to use your book for our new finance fortnight for year 8 students. We thought we wou?

• RT @katiejane13uk: ????????IMPORTANT - CALLING ALL LEASEHOLDERS TO COMPLETE???????? @mhclg Leasehold Reform Consultation closes this month. This is the?

• Just sent a text about postgrad loans. My Swype text auto-corrected it to pothead loans. Does it know something I don't?

• Follow Martin