Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • misstara
    • By misstara 30th Aug 18, 11:25 AM
    • 2,921Posts
    • 20,657Thanks
    misstara
    NST September: Sunshine Challenge
    • 30th Aug 18, 11:25 AM
    NST September: Sunshine Challenge 30th Aug 18 at 11:25 AM
    Hello fellow turtles and welcome to NST September - the Sunshine Challenge.

Set your budgets now. Pay to your debts/savings first and live off the rest. Make sure you're on the best deals for utilities, phones, broadband, etc. Are there any areas in your budget that you could cut down on?
    Use up. Have a look through your cupboards and identify any food that's been lurking there for a while and incorporate it into a meal plan. Likewise toiletries, any half opened bottles - use before opening/buying more.
    NSDs - there are 30 days in September so a minimum of 15 or 20 for a harder challenge. Usual exemptions for ys items, petrol and medical expenses.
    Spread some sunshine - be kind to others, help out friends, neighbours, colleagues and strangers. Share your tales of any random acts of kindness
    Healthy eating - up your fruit and veg intake, quit snacking between meals or choose healthier options. Crisps are my major downfall so I'm going to try and stop snacking on them this month.
    Invest in yourself. Make sure you take the time to do things that you enjoy. Try something new that you've always wanted to do.
    No spending on takeaways, drinks out, etc unless prearranged and budgeted for. Try to find free activities to do.
    Exercise - it won't be long before the darker nights start drawing in so make the most of it while you can. Get outdoors for walk/run/cycle even if only for 10 minutes.

Try to post every day if you can. The support from fellow turtles on this thread is invaluable and will spur you on to meet your goals

Who's up for the challenge?
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £513.51 (77.7% paid)
    Car debt Nov 2017 £797.68 Now £767.31 (3.8% paid) + monthly payments £146.82 11/60
    Emergency fund - £50/£1000. Car fund - £37.12/£1000.
    Mini Targets in Octoberr
    Exercise target - 3/16. Groceries target £59.75/£200. NSD target 4/15.
Page 14
    • lcc86
    • By lcc86 14th Sep 18, 7:25 PM
    • 1,102 Posts
    • 4,196 Thanks
    lcc86
    Another NSD today, up to 10 for the month. Worked from home too, so was able to go for a walk before work and during lunch, and cut out the 3 hour round trip commute which is always a blessing. Managed to get loads of chores done as well, and some studying once I'd finished work. Quiet evening planned tonight just staying in watching netflix.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5124473 - my original diary
    £753/£1000 EF £470 saved for household jobs
    Debt free and in the black for the first time in 11 years
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 14th Sep 18, 8:08 PM
    • 7,920 Posts
    • 59,992 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Today I am grateful for a good walk in the woods, for ponderation time, for still being able to wear shorts (though with a long-sleeved tee and hoodie!), for finally doing some sewing and stuffing, for a nice chat with a lady at the bus stop, for dd showing me the Jive they're learning at school, for The Life of Pi, for staring to prep the house for future chilliness (have to keep dh away from the thermostat!)
    NST November New Yorker #8; NSD 8/15; Ex 6/21 ; craft 42 (196); remove 16 (653)
    2018 Pay off: £4509; 2
    018 sell £55.10; WLOSW 3/10

Mortgage £18,634 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 14th Sep 18, 8:57 PM
    • 2,581 Posts
    • 27,222 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Amazingly an NSD. Shoulder was bad last night and could not get to sleep until after 4am. Dizzy and tired today. Did shopping for mum and went there. Came home earlier than usual as shoulder was throbbing again.

had a little nap as the painkillers started to work in the taxi home. Early night and will sleep as long as I can. If I can't sleep I have a mountain of sewing/ embroidery that I want to finish and deliver.

Today I am grateful for quiet time with mum, not so quiet visit from small boy, his mum and the daft dog and painkillers.
    This year I will be fierce
    NST Nov #1 SFD 6/20 Food£59.03/£180 Travel £3.20/£12 Ent/diy £14/£12 Ext DS3 bed and mattress
    No Debt No mortgage
    • Kerry Woman
    • By Kerry Woman 14th Sep 18, 10:33 PM
    • 2,529 Posts
    • 24,793 Thanks
    Kerry Woman
    Set your budgets now. Have done this.
    Use up. Done this today.
    NSDs – 11/20 NSD today. Did use points on loyalty card in MrS to buy some chocolate.
    Spread some sunshine – Gave the gardener a bar of chocolate that I got today, also donations to a cs and a couple of woman's products to a food bank.
    Healthy eating – Need to be more mindful with what I am eating. Did have several treats today.
    Invest in yourself. Did wordsearch, reading and went to an motivational talk in London given by an ex pop star about mental health(was very interesting).
    No spending on takeaways, drinks out, etc unless prearranged and budgeted for. Try to find free activities to do.
    Exercise - Did plenty of walking around to various places eg from bus stop to recycling centre, to and from train station to the talk.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2018
    Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
    Nst november in new york NSD 8/20
    • sashanut
    • By sashanut 14th Sep 18, 11:49 PM
    • 2,978 Posts
    • 27,721 Thanks
    sashanut
    no 16 checking in
    Hi all

Seem to have been busy today but looks like I did very little around here....Packed all items that needed to go back for refunds first thing, package we were waiting in for arrived. Then trip out to post parcels, take sample to vets & wait while tests done. Tests were negative (as expected) so antibiotics prescribed for 10 days. Quick whizz into SM (which has PO inside) plus it had a cake stall for guide dogs, had to purchase from that. Then into another SM....then farm shop...then home. Then trip with DD to 3 more shops, yuk. Then home & meal prep. Ah well it will all be there tomorrow and dog seems much brighter, which is great. Out tomorrow to a show tickets to which was a Christmas gift last year..

Set your budgets now. Pay to your debts/savings first and live off the rest. Make sure you're on the best deals for utilities, phones, broadband, etc. Are there any areas in your budget that you could cut down on? Now have accounts & have a plan for next year so we don't pay so much tax. Just need to prep accounts early so second tax payment is negligible (hopefully).

Use up. Have a look through your cupboards and identify any food that's been lurking there for a while and incorporate it into a meal plan. Likewise toiletries, any half opened bottles - use before opening/buying more. Made HM Nandos with CB from freezer & ingredients we had in already. Guide dogs for the blind however made cakes which we had afterwards. Loads of leftovers & hopefully no DD for a few days so should be able to eat from stores. Fridges desperate for a clear out now.

NSDs - there are 30 days in September so a minimum of 15 or 20 for a harder challenge. Usual exemptions for ys items, petrol and medical expenses. Still 6/15

Spread some sunshine - be kind to others, help out friends, neighbours, colleagues and strangers. Share your tales of any random acts of kindness. Complimented DD on hair colour & condition.

Healthy eating - up your fruit and veg intake, quit snacking between meals or choose healthier options. Those darn guide dogs & their cake!

Invest in yourself. Make sure you take the time to do things that you enjoy. Try something new that you've always wanted to do. No time today. Ditto.

No spending on takeaways, drinks out, etc unless prearranged and budgeted for. No takeaways today.

Try to find free activities to do. Will do.

Exercise - it won't be long before the darker nights start drawing in so make the most of it while you can. Get outdoors for walk/run/cycle even if only for 10 minutes. Short time in garden with beasts, noticed lots of autumn flowers coming on, including an Edelweiss I got for 50p - happy days.

Go Turtles!!
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 . Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 15th Sep 18, 8:14 AM
    • 1,873 Posts
    • 16,113 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    foxholes when mine were younger and had been fighting, I used to make them hug and kiss one another better - they hated it so it mostly worked. Read a post yesterday from someone who made him and his brother hold hands and sing the Barney (purple dinosaur) song - they are 18 and 19 yo.
    Originally posted by mothernerd
    I am blessed never to have seen the bulging purple menace. I have heard tales from traumatised parents though. Thankfully the days of kids tv are behind me.
    I am flirting with making them watch Gremlins though as they seem to be obsessing about Sugar Gliders right now.
    MFW START DATE May 16 £118,340 : Oct17 - £109,495.00Dec17 £108,800Jan 18 £108,392.98 Mar 18 £108,504.72Apr £108,099May £106,999Jun 105,999.Jul 105,300Aug £103,999 Sept £102,999 Oct 101,999November £101,300.00
    NEXT GOAL is sub £100k before 2019Mortgage-free wannabe 2018 #65
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 15th Sep 18, 9:57 AM
    • 7,920 Posts
    • 59,992 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Just don't feed them after midnight...
    NST November New Yorker #8; NSD 8/15; Ex 6/21 ; craft 42 (196); remove 16 (653)
    2018 Pay off: £4509; 2
    018 sell £55.10; WLOSW 3/10

Mortgage £18,634 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • greent
    • By greent 15th Sep 18, 3:18 PM
    • 7,518 Posts
    • 76,290 Thanks
    greent
    Days 13 thru 15
    greent we did our "annual uni kit out IKEA visit" earlier this week and it was full of late teens (with a parent, or two, in tow who all seemed to share an unspoken understanding of why they were there) wandering through filling trolleys with things that they thought looked useful. I find it amusing but that could just be me.
    Originally posted by bizzie
    DS1 and I had great fun talking 'the Swedish' all day on Thurs (think Swedish chef from the Muppets) and saw many other teens/ parents buying random items - am sure quite a lot won't even get used past the first month, if at all!

Set your budgets now. budgets are mostly in place
    Use up- going ok. Food going down, some toiletries being used up and also filled both of our cars with windscreen cleaner from the stock of bottles in our garage before taking them in for services (rather than the garage do it and we get charged)
    NSDs - - will monitor - currently 2. Might achieve a 3rd today
    Spread some sunshine -
    [/COLOR]Healthy eating - up your fruit and veg intake, quit snacking between meals or choose healthier options. -
    Invest in yourself. - early night last night
    No spending on takeaways, drinks out, etc unless prearranged and budgeted for. Try to find free activities to do. - Have a social budget
    Exercise [/COLOR] Nope although am doing fine on steps and active minutes according to my fitbit
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2018 OPs (#18) £7127.06/£7500
    Net sales 2018 £721.53/£1000 PAYDOX18 (#15) Done £18918.90
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 15th Sep 18, 4:12 PM
    • 4,120 Posts
    • 35,284 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Busy and stressful couple of days here. Lots of little things making me worry, and one or two bigger things. Money looking tight, with 3 birthdays still to come this month (both kids and my bestie) - spend day today as I've done the weekly grocery shop but nothing other than that.
    Hope everyone is well. I've spent the day on a much needed catch up with my bestie, and now am just about to sit down properly and go through my patterns and wool and get Christmas ideas and gifts well and truly sorted.
    November in NY #20 NSD = 8 1 debt vs 100 days £328.51/£1685
    DFD #1: 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 15th Sep 18, 4:52 PM
    • 1,678 Posts
    • 16,112 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    Went to Aldi but they didn't have what I wanted. However, I did get a big trawl of YS items only so I'm claiming NSD 8/20. I'm not sure I'm going to reach my target. Whilst I was there I helped a young man choose a piece of beef for roasting. He'd been sent by his wife to do the shopping but didn't have a clue.

So, I've washed two loads and dried them outside, done the ironing, cooked loads, cleaned a bit and tidied a few drawers. I've also done an Tesco order to be delivered to our holiday accommodation but that doesn't get paid till the end of the month. At the moment I'm making a list of things to be done before we go and getting clothes we are taking organised. A few things we need to buy but not a lot.

After all that activity I'm going to have a gin and tonic and sort out dinner - sausage casserole.

Lots to do again tomorrow.

Have a good evening.
    • Kerry Woman
    • By Kerry Woman 15th Sep 18, 8:17 PM
    • 2,529 Posts
    • 24,793 Thanks
    Kerry Woman
    Set your budgets now. Have done this.
    Use up. Done this today.
    NSDs – 11/20 Was a spend day. Which included a train ticket to the seaside and a couple of stainless steel items as I am trying to reduce plastic use.
    Spread some sunshine – Did a beach cleanup.
    Healthy eating – Need to be more mindful with what I am eating. Did ok today.
    Invest in yourself. Had a really nice chat with my brother and nephew. Did wordsearch, a nice relaxing bath and some time at the seaside after the beach cleanup.
    No spending on takeaways, drinks out, etc unless prearranged and budgeted for. Try to find free activities to do. Did get a coffee as I had a chat with another volunteer. Did bring something to eat.
    Exercise - Did plenty of walking around the beach and to and from station to meeting point.
    Last edited by Kerry Woman; 15-09-2018 at 8:20 PM.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2018
    Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
    Nst november in new york NSD 8/20
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 15th Sep 18, 8:41 PM
    • 2,581 Posts
    • 27,222 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Tired (so ashamed to say that when so many of you are working your socks off). Slept all day. Worried (even with low energy levels etc i should be doing better than this). Realised I did not take my Vitamin D tablets to Sorrento and haven't restarted them. Found them, taken them, hope things start to improve.

Did wonder about withdrawing from this month's challenge but know that, especially when things are difficult, it's easier with the turtles than not, so I'm staying. NSD again.

Today I am grateful for sleep (some of it was needed), for recognising an easy to fix problem (been watching the laptop, but phone may have died - not charging) and for the ever changing tableau of human life for entertainment - aka living on the edge of a car park.
    This year I will be fierce
    NST Nov #1 SFD 6/20 Food£59.03/£180 Travel £3.20/£12 Ent/diy £14/£12 Ext DS3 bed and mattress
    No Debt No mortgage
    • lcc86
    • By lcc86 15th Sep 18, 9:57 PM
    • 1,102 Posts
    • 4,196 Thanks
    lcc86
    Very spendy day again today. Another Sort of unexpected trip to the football. So spent £30 on a ticket, £20 on a gorgeous lunch and about £10 on train fare. Not ideal but other than this month I haven't been to the football for a good few years and probably won't get to go again for a long time. I do need to reign it in for the rest of the month though. One more social outing next Friday and that's it.

Standing and walking has taken a toll on my leg/ankle, I feel shattered. Off to bed early as I'm going back to my volunteering place tomorrow, can't do as much as normal as my leg isn't up to it but I really want to help out as they've been through a rough time recently with three horses being attacked during a break in. Goodnight turtles, don't stay up too late!
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5124473 - my original diary
    £753/£1000 EF £470 saved for household jobs
    Debt free and in the black for the first time in 11 years
    • laurenh1
    • By laurenh1 15th Sep 18, 10:21 PM
    • 619 Posts
    • 6,772 Thanks
    laurenh1
    Hi all

Sorry I was AWOL yesterday. I ended up taking a top back to next yesterday & swapping it for another one which was a few pounds dearer so lost my NSD however did get one today , so on 6.

picked up two of those tubs at Tesco on my last spend day (hero's, quality street etc) & put away for Christmas. Agreed with hub that I would start picking up treats every time I see a good offer now, wrote a lost of what I need & cleared a space to stash them all
    Also got 75 points on any shampoo at boots & used it with 3 for 2 on all hair care. Ended up getting 2 shampoos and one conditioner for £1.50 & got about 86p worth of points back Picked up a free wash tablet sample in next

still trying to use things up, hub made a curry sauce to have with tea & froze what was left for another day
    not loads to report, plodding on
    Hope you are all having a nice weekend
    • GlendaSugarbean
    • By GlendaSugarbean 16th Sep 18, 8:36 AM
    • 264 Posts
    • 1,883 Thanks
    GlendaSugarbean
    Mothernerd is it worth heading to the GP for a checkup if your energy levels continue to crash? Is your iron intake ok?

Not an NSD yesterday, but did use up free HG tomatoes and fridge bits for lunch rather than eating out, then to free festival with minimal spends on tea and cake. Also went for a run, did a bit of work on the allotment and walked all afternoon, 14K steps and very tired in the evening!
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 16th Sep 18, 8:39 AM
    • 4,071 Posts
    • 37,621 Thanks
    dolly84
    Hi all

Spent money yesterday but not too much. Bought DH some work socks (1000 mile socks in the CS for £1.49 - new obviously), I got a M&S top from the CS and then we got some snacky bits in Sainsburys.

Cycled before tea.

CCL - sorry to hear everything is going wrong and hope things get better soon.

mothernerd - if you need to rest you should do so without feeling guilty.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler.
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 16th Sep 18, 9:16 AM
    • 4,120 Posts
    • 35,284 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Morning all
    Mothernerd - pleased that you're staying. You're right, it's better with the company on here - I've been wallowing in a pool of my own misery for months now but it's nice to have a break and a catch up on here with people that are so supportive and like minded.
    Thanks Dolly for the reassurance. I will be ok - it's just such a massive change for me. I had no idea that something I wanted to do would take such a massive toll on me. I think it's because it's such a big change I hardly know what to do, and there are lots of things out of my control (like the courts and solicitors dragging their feet). I usually bounce back though, so I will again.
    Today I'm going to embrace the mse mentality. I'm prepping lots of veggies for batch cooking, and I'm planning to finally have a go at making chutney (although whether that actually happens today is another thing). I have tutoring this morning to earn a few extra £ and then I'm going to visit my mam for a free feed and much needed cuddle and catch up. I haven't seen her for about a month as she's been on her hols.
    That will keep me more than busy until shower time and then I can relax and do some crochet while watching the Bodyguard. Sounds like a perfect day.
    November in NY #20 NSD = 8 1 debt vs 100 days £328.51/£1685
    DFD #1: 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 16th Sep 18, 10:27 AM
    • 1,873 Posts
    • 16,113 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Friday was not a NSD day, but it was planned, so yay!
    All food bought, charity shops visited,(I bought sale rail YS at a charity shop!!) had a lovely day. Put 2 things for the house on the cc - will basically finish top floor of house. Moving swiftly downwards........

DH left to go away for the weekend on Thursday at 5pm ( Thursday is the new Friday - Friday weekend is just so last Millenium) Is it wrong I don't miss him at all and am much more productive when I only have myself to deal with (+4 kids?). Still fancy him though. He just needs to go away more often.

Saturday was NSD 7 - Lots achieved in the house. Painting stuff, making stuff, moving stuff. Roadworks at top and bottom of my road, I took it as a sign.

Sunday (today) is NSD 8, but I have run out of teabags (boo!!) so I am on 'el cheapo' teabags (30p for about a million) that are there for emergencies. The kids don't seem to mind. Parkrun for the kids done, Finishing off painty jobs and putting furniture back where it should be. Ordering, tidying, cleaning and returning.

I love lists, I love making them, and then I love crossing stuff off. I am doing a lot of crossing off right now.

Going to make a sponge, and some scones, and sausage rolls, and watch the repeat of bake off with the kids and with afternoon tea in the living room (unheard of!!) Will hoover while the kids are dunking themselves in the tub afterwards.
    They make a hell of a mess.

Utterly calm, I know what I am doing. Back in routine.

I am up to £22 on one of the survey sites, so I am starting to think about Xmas. Over all survey sites I have about £50 of vouchers already, doing really well.
    Feeling good!!!
    MFW START DATE May 16 £118,340 : Oct17 - £109,495.00Dec17 £108,800Jan 18 £108,392.98 Mar 18 £108,504.72Apr £108,099May £106,999Jun 105,999.Jul 105,300Aug £103,999 Sept £102,999 Oct 101,999November £101,300.00
    NEXT GOAL is sub £100k before 2019Mortgage-free wannabe 2018 #65
    • Shrewbie
    • By Shrewbie 16th Sep 18, 11:11 AM
    • 90 Posts
    • 905 Thanks
    Shrewbie
    Hello all
    Today I am grateful for having a huge beautiful park on my doorstep, for good friends who help each other out and for the smell of freshly baking bread. Oh and coffee.
    Enjoy your sunday everyone
    CC £0/£2476 OD £0/£502
    Savings £0/£7,000

New York NST November NSD 8/20
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 16th Sep 18, 4:50 PM
    • 1,678 Posts
    • 16,112 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    Hello

It's been a shocking day here. Started raining heavily last night and hasn't stopped. I was forced to go out as I need some things for Sunday lunch. Didn't cost much but we got soaked.

Managed to tick some things off my lists but the weather prevented me from what I had planned to do outside. Hope it improves by tomorrow. I have to go to doctors and can't put that off.

Downloaded some free kindle books for my holiday reading.

Other than that I've been watching films. Thank goodness for the Boy's Netflix subscription. The TV is awful.

Have a nice evening.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,417Posts Today

8,428Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • "Sabrina, you're young. I'm not sure you've the experience I'm looking for in a business partner." Eh? Isn't the pr? https://t.co/IeTxBQq2OU

• I am predicting the word myself will be misused 6 times in today;s boardroom. What do yourself think? #TheApprentice

• Not sure how I ever succeeded running a successful entreprise? After all my gardening and garden design skills are? https://t.co/FFnvkjsGDU

• Follow Martin