Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • misstara
    • By misstara 30th Aug 18, 11:25 AM
    • 2,876Posts
    • 20,339Thanks
    misstara
    NST September: Sunshine Challenge
    • 30th Aug 18, 11:25 AM
    NST September: Sunshine Challenge 30th Aug 18 at 11:25 AM
    Hello fellow turtles and welcome to NST September - the Sunshine Challenge.

Set your budgets now. Pay to your debts/savings first and live off the rest. Make sure you're on the best deals for utilities, phones, broadband, etc. Are there any areas in your budget that you could cut down on?
    Use up. Have a look through your cupboards and identify any food that's been lurking there for a while and incorporate it into a meal plan. Likewise toiletries, any half opened bottles - use before opening/buying more.
    NSDs - there are 30 days in September so a minimum of 15 or 20 for a harder challenge. Usual exemptions for ys items, petrol and medical expenses.
    Spread some sunshine - be kind to others, help out friends, neighbours, colleagues and strangers. Share your tales of any random acts of kindness
    Healthy eating - up your fruit and veg intake, quit snacking between meals or choose healthier options. Crisps are my major downfall so I'm going to try and stop snacking on them this month.
    Invest in yourself. Make sure you take the time to do things that you enjoy. Try something new that you've always wanted to do.
    No spending on takeaways, drinks out, etc unless prearranged and budgeted for. Try to find free activities to do.
    Exercise - it won't be long before the darker nights start drawing in so make the most of it while you can. Get outdoors for walk/run/cycle even if only for 10 minutes.

Try to post every day if you can. The support from fellow turtles on this thread is invaluable and will spur you on to meet your goals

Who's up for the challenge?
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 10458.09 Now 0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 2302.75 Now 570.94 (75.2% paid)
    Car debt Nov 2017 797.68 Now 406.58 (49% paid) + monthly payments 146.82 9/60
    Emergency fund - 77.04/1000. Car fund - 240/1000.
    Mini Targets in September
    Exercise target - 2/16. Groceries target 74.23/200. NSD target 6/20.
Page 13
    • GlendaSugarbean
    • By GlendaSugarbean 13th Sep 18, 6:46 AM
    • 152 Posts
    • 929 Thanks
    GlendaSugarbean
    Morning all

Hope you get through to the end of the week CCL. Hats off to all the teachers on here, it's bad enough getting the kids organised for bsck to school and then sitting in a nice quiet office!

Spend day yesterday so still at 6/15. Budget still borked. More new School expenses for DS - money for food tech, new sports top, it goes on!

I've been looking wistfully at my CC - I'm eligible for a 0% money transfer but there's a fee (2-4%) and of course I'd need to pay more monthly to ensure it was paid off. Must resist! I will get hit with OD charges this month, but if I focus I'll be back up to par next month if not the month after. Just need to grit my teeth for the next week. I know if I get any extra cash in I'll be tempted to spend it, which is precisely how I ended up with CC debt in the first place.

Sunshine: made the effort to chat to THREE mums at the school gate yesterday. Must be a record for me!

I've also starting enjoying my knitting again - I was caught up over the summer with the Sock of Dismay - tried two different colour combinations as it was a Latvian colourwork design, gave up on all of them. Now making some pretty fingerless mitts and a nice solid sock for DH (I usually make him socks for Xmas). All stash yarn so very MSE. Plus I found s shawlette which is pretty much done, and three more pairs of socks which just need finishing off (1 toe to graft, then ends to sew in on all three).
    • laurenh1
    • By laurenh1 13th Sep 18, 9:18 AM
    • 567 Posts
    • 6,061 Thanks
    laurenh1
    GlendaSugar I have picked up my needles again too, must be the time of the year. I am making pumpkin bunting for my kids Halloween party!
    • laurenh1
    • By laurenh1 13th Sep 18, 9:30 AM
    • 567 Posts
    • 6,061 Thanks
    laurenh1
    Good morning all

Set Budgets- Still at 60, however I am going shopping tonight, I need to keep my spend to below 30 to still be on track. I have my shopping list at the ready and I am armed with a budgeted list! a voucher arrived for our local pet shop, which is perfect timing as we need a few bits for the chickens!
    Use up- Dinner last night was bean & egg toasties, using eggs & toastie pouches that needed using u & tonight it is pulled pork, using some pork shoulder that I picked up reduced & some wraps that have been in my freezer a while.
    NSDs- still on 5 as today is a spend day. Hoping for 6 and 7 tomorrow and Saturday.
    Spread some sunshine- I will pick up something for the food bank tonight
    Healthy Eating- Veg soup for dinner
    Invest in Yourself- more knitting!
    No Take Aways- Nope no money for one
    Excersize- planning running & yoga tomorrow but maybe not today easing back into it
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 13th Sep 18, 10:08 AM
    • 1,617 Posts
    • 15,384 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    Had a lovely afternoon yesterday with friends from London. I can't believe it's six months since I last saw them. I thought we were going to have lunch but they weren't hungry. I hadn't taken anything from freezer as I didn't think we would need it so we succumbed to a take away. I honestly don't remember the last time we did that. Still, could have been worse. We shared it so only 7.50 spent.

Whilst we were out I acquired two bottles of blackcurrant juice that were being given out free. Gave them to the wee one's mother. It'll save her a couple of pounds.

I'm going to have to give up on the idea of using the shower gel that I found because the doctor has told me to avoid anything like that which is perfumed. However, Himself has lots of shower gel that is for eczema prone skin (the hoarder has 10 bottles!!!). Well, that should save me some money and declutter a bit. Back to using what's in the freezer for meals again. Definitely no more takeaways.

Lovely sunny day here so I'm off for a walk. Hoping to get some winter pansies in Aldi to replace some of the plants on my porch.

Have a nice day.
    • s1n25
    • By s1n25 13th Sep 18, 10:34 AM
    • 87 Posts
    • 291 Thanks
    s1n25
    Budget Doing well this month! Within budget, I think it will be tight on petrol as spent more than I thought I would need (3 airport run this month! 150 miles extra) apart from that on track with spending.
    Use up Used up most things in the cupboard and freezer for my lunches. This does mean when I do a shop on Sunday, itll be a re stock! But I have planned what I need so try not over spend and buy unnecessary items.
    NSDs Half way there on NSD 10 out of 20
    Healthy eating At the start of the year I decided to not eat meat (more for health reasons to be honest) I found I wasnt eating enough veg, this way it meant I was! Felt a lot more energetic and healthier! Going to try this for the next week.
    Invest in yourself Skin is terrible at the moment! Mixture of stress with work and maybe a healthier diet (must work on this for the rest of the month!) any skin tips for break outs would be grateful!
    No spending Apart from an engagement present, no spending this week! No plans for the weekend other than house work (joys!) I am meeting my girlfriends for a take away on Saturday night at one of their houses so wont be spending much! 10 max.
    Exercise Still need to find time for this!! Work is taking over at the moment and finding it difficult to make time for myself. The darker nights are not making me want to leave the house after work, weather for snuggling up on the sofa. I think I'm going to go get some fresh air on Saturday day and a lovely park walk needed.

Happy Thursday!

Debt Free Diary..."Start of a new chapter"
    Sept: Unsecured Debt : 4,200.. Bring your lunch to work 14/15..NSD challenge 17/20

• dolly84
    • By dolly84 13th Sep 18, 12:31 PM
    • 3,998 Posts
    • 36,919 Thanks
    dolly84
    Not been spending much here, have some ebay listings ending today so should get a few pounds from those. Had to spend 4.80 on 2 all day bus tickets for the kids to get to school and back yesterday - boy that is a long job for them and they are not happy about it.

Day off work today, have cycled this morning, stripped all the beds, done 2 loads of washing which I am trying to dry on the line, had a grocery shop delivered, re-made 2 beds and emptied all the bins. Stopped for lunch then I need to finish the laundry, re-make final bed, walk the dog and do some cleaning.

Back to work tomorrow but just for half a day.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler.
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 13th Sep 18, 3:55 PM
    • 1,617 Posts
    • 15,384 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    Had a walk and got some pansies. Have spent the day tidying up the porch and cooking for the Boy's freezer.
    Having salmon, potatoes and veg for dinner.
    Other that that nothing much going on.
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 13th Sep 18, 5:41 PM
    • 3,896 Posts
    • 33,348 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    More tired tonight than I was yesterday. Another nsd and an early night ahead...
    Sunshine September #12 NSD 11 1 debt vs 100 days 262.01/1685
    DFD #1: 6 Nov 15 - paid 28,447
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 13th Sep 18, 6:03 PM
    • 2,501 Posts
    • 26,124 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Yesterday was crafts. As is often the case when I don't feel 'up for it', it was a lovely gentle session and I had a lovely time. People are still quite happy with the lavender bags (great because I have now found all 3 large bags of lavender - product of 5 years harvesting it). One person is making them as Christmas presents, so was happy to start a new one.

Someone else is making an elephant (wire support and papier mache - imagine the accents). They had a sculptor in a while ago and the work was admired so I think all her friends and relatives are getting elephants this year. One woman comes with her carer, she drew and her carer made a lavender bag to take to a friend in hospital.

One woman may join us in future - she was there for a course but had been listening to us chatting away and will come another time. One woman brought us some craft bits that she no longer needs and brought us all deckled hearts and little bangles.

Took a taxi from crafts to mum's (had put her cheeses and watermelon in the centre fridge whilst crafting. Stayed until late, did some framing on the jigsaw - faces and some pink/lilac/light blue bits should be easy for mum. Was too tired to go and bring the bins in.

Still tired today but made the effort to go and buy flowers to be delivered to the couple who collected us from the station on Friday/ Saturday and brought us home. Meandered back down the main street looking for jigsaws and nivea hand wash for mum (if anyone has seen it on sale can they let me know as have tried emporium, B**ts, H*me Bargain$, Superd**g and Wilk*s).

Had to buy water as I negelcted to put the bottle in my bag (19 one from HB). Paid 59p at a charity shop for 4 foam 3d trees - if I can find sticker apples or leaves could be a nice easy craft session. Bought 2 jigsaw puzzles (mum will probably give me the money back), ibruprofen (needed), chocolate (not needed) and another easy bottle opener (mum is buying one for me and one for her other helper as we were extremely impressed with the one I got mum - like a large pair of tongs with 4 different size circles on the inside of the arms to do anything from worcester sauce bottle to large pickle jars). Finally dragged both bins back but left them by the back gate.

Eating fairly healthily, ys prawn mayo sandwich filling on spinach wrap and big box of Scottish strawberries - bought some last year and miles better than usual SM offerings. Meant to leave half the box with mum but need to eat them all myself now. Just need to try harder to get a NSD.

Started the washing. Will put another load in later but otherwise staying in my room. Back at mum's tomorrow and more imposing some sort of order on the house over the weekend.

Today I am grateful for a helpful florist, a little girl who told me she had a skirt like mine and for ibruprofen and hot water to ease my arm and shoulder.
    This year I will be fierce
    NST Sep #14 SFD 3 /15 Food 148.30/200 Travel 99.80/15 Ent/diy 15/30 Ext wedding stuff
    No Debt No mortgage
    • Kerry Woman
    • By Kerry Woman 13th Sep 18, 6:31 PM
    • 2,456 Posts
    • 23,934 Thanks
    Kerry Woman
    Set your budgets now. Have done this.
    Use up. Done this today.
    NSDs 10/20 NSD today.
    Spread some sunshine Said thanks to postperson who delivered a parcel and wished them a nice day.
    Healthy eating Need to be more mindful with what I am eating.
    Invest in yourself. Did wordsearch, mindfulness colouring, reading and chilled out.
    No spending on takeaways, drinks out, etc unless prearranged and budgeted for. Try to find free activities to do. Will try and find some activities closer to home.
    Exercise Did not venture out today as did not feel like it today.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2018
    Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
    NST September: Sunshine Challenge NSD 16/20
    • Shrewbie
    • By Shrewbie 13th Sep 18, 7:08 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 488 Thanks
    Shrewbie
    Hi everyone

Budget - only spends today should have been €1.80 on some fruit and veg, but we paid a lady to do our end of tenancy clean and it took her an hour longer than we thought, so each of us 3 housemates paid €13. I've just realised I actually had mistakenly budgeted €60 for this though! I did 2 surveys on prolyfic earning €2.

Use up - had a boiled egg & toast for brekkie, homemade pizza for lunch and a jacket potato with peas, pesto and goats cheese for dins, all with the last remains of our fridge contents.

NSDs - sadly not one today. Tomorrow probably won’t be one either as we are moving and will need to shop for food for the new house.

Spread sunshine - At her insistence, scrolled through the cleaning lady’s seemingly hundreds of photos of her daughter’s wedding while she stood over my shoulder…but I did manage to make a lot of noises like I was impressed which at least sounded half genuine

Healthy eating - not too bad today. no chocolate and a bit of fruit, veg and protein

Invest in yourself - woke up early (only because someone’s phone alarm was going off in the adjacent apartment block) and read for an hour in spanish, then meditated, then later read some chapters of Clan of the Cave Bear, which I am really enjoying

No take aways - Nope! bumped into my housemates while they were eating fast food across the road but managed to stay strong and didn’t order anything. Also wanted an ice cream but resisted as the queue was too long

E - exercise- nothing strenuous but walked for a while, maybe 15-20 mins along the river. Saving myself for carrying loads of heavy boxes tomorrow!

Shrewbie x
    Last edited by Shrewbie; 13-09-2018 at 7:18 PM.
    Credit card debt 2542.14 Overdraft debt 1074.87 Savings = 0 Aiming for 7K end 2019
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 13th Sep 18, 7:53 PM
    • 7,697 Posts
    • 58,056 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Today I am grateful for having a car, for getting ahead a little at work, for dd having a great day, for an easy tea, for getting some knitting done, for ponderations about the future, for having more than enough.
    NST September Sunshine #4; NSD 8/21; Ex 8/21 ; craft 7 (121); remove 32 (621)
    2018 Pay off: 3437; 2
    018 sell 49.10; WLOSW 1/10

Mortgage 19,614 (01/14: 78,201; 01/15: 59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 13th Sep 18, 8:18 PM
    • 1,713 Posts
    • 14,581 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Today was indeed NSD6

Will do the weekly shop tomorrow and hopefully rack up a good few NSDs in a row from now on.

Feeling motivated now. Nearly the middle of the month and I am well behind where I wanted to be.
    MFW START DATE May 16 118,340 : Oct17 - 109,495.00Dec17 108,800Jan 18 108,392.98 March 18 108,504.72April 108,099May 106,999June 105,999.99July 105,300.00
    Aug 103,999.99
    September 102,999.99
    NEXT GOAL is sub 100k before 2019Mortgage-free wannabe 2018 #65
    • lcc86
    • By lcc86 13th Sep 18, 10:21 PM
    • 1,050 Posts
    • 3,542 Thanks
    lcc86
    Today was another spend day. Got my hair cut, topped up on fuel, had Shopping delivered, and paid to post an item to a friend. I seem to have overspent on food this month, not sure how as I haven't bought loads but I guess it happens sometimes. The next week is all sorted but then things could get interesting!

Also started back at uni today so spent a bit of time going through the website. Am working from home the next few days so it cuts out commute time and gives me more study time. The next year is going to be stressful but I'll be glad I did it at the end!
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5124473 - my original diary
    920/1000 EF 500 saved for household jobs
    Debt free and in the black for the first time in 11 years
    • sashanut
    • By sashanut 13th Sep 18, 11:48 PM
    • 2,927 Posts
    • 27,138 Thanks
    sashanut
    no 16 checking in
    Hi all

Up early for visit to vets, not too much trouble & very kind vet (and handsome almost-a-vet who was assisting him). He wasn't too troubled about her leg, but was bothered about her very high temp. To that end took bloods & had results this afternoon. Looks like she has an infection, more tests tomorrow.

Set your budgets now. Pay to your debts/savings first and live off the rest. Make sure you're on the best deals for utilities, phones, broadband, etc. Are there any areas in your budget that you could cut down on? Budget has been blown by very spendy week involving tree surgeon & vets. However, we have the cash set aside so prepared.

Use up. Have a look through your cupboards and identify any food that's been lurking there for a while and incorporate it into a meal plan. Likewise toiletries, any half opened bottles - use before opening/buying more. DH finally finished the pate of his own accord & DD ate the leftover Chinese when she got up. I made a curry with YS chicken thighs & Lamb Rogan Josh, Indian snacks & naan breads - all YS.

NSDs - there are 30 days in September so a minimum of 15 or 20 for a harder challenge. Usual exemptions for ys items, petrol and medical expenses. Still 6/15

Spread some sunshine - be kind to others, help out friends, neighbours, colleagues and strangers. Share your tales of any random acts of kindness. will do.

Healthy eating - up your fruit and veg intake, quit snacking between meals or choose healthier options. Not really today, too nervous awaiting test results.

Invest in yourself. Make sure you take the time to do things that you enjoy. Try something new that you've always wanted to do. No time today.

No spending on takeaways, drinks out, etc unless prearranged and budgeted for. No takeaways today.

Try to find free activities to do. Will do.

Exercise - it won't be long before the darker nights start drawing in so make the most of it while you can. Get outdoors for walk/run/cycle even if only for 10 minutes. Time spent in garden was chasing round after said dog to get a 'sample'
    Go Turtles!!
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 . Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : 5500 OD GONE, 2000 OD - GONE 93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE
    • GlendaSugarbean
    • By GlendaSugarbean 14th Sep 18, 6:23 AM
    • 152 Posts
    • 929 Thanks
    GlendaSugarbean
    Another NSD yesterday despite needing some bits from Boots - paid for with points 😁. Met friends for a natter but brought my own (AF) refreshments.

Free activities: weekend plan was to meet with a friend and go out for lunch + paid entry to local gardens. Took a deep breath and texted her asking if we could do something free, she replied enthusiastically as she is also stony broke following an unexpected bill! So we are planning HM lunch and then a visit to the local free festival. I had no idea it was on and if I hadn't been searching for free activities I never would have found it.
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 14th Sep 18, 7:20 AM
    • 1,713 Posts
    • 14,581 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Set budgets - still within budget!!!!
    Use up. - clearing a few more boxes of tat - found some material to make PE drawstring bags from. Another spend avoided, and they will not get mixed up with other people's.
    NSDs – 6/20
    Spread some sunshine – I spoke to a new cross country Mum.
    Healthy Eating - made a big veg stew on Wed night and put it in the fridge because I knew we would be late back yesterday. Loads of fridge bottom veg used up and it was lovely.
    Invest in yourself - kids did exercise, I encouraged brotherly love by making the older two cheer younger two on, I slept with the radio on (DH is away) started reading Dawn French autobiography as bedtime book as something different. Today I am hitting the c/s and food shopping. Will go scrumping if there is time.
    No takeaways, Try to find free activities - SCRUMPING!!!
    Exercise –just hefting boxes and sorting.
    I am discovering more floor. I have much more space. It is now noticable.
    Fewer piles of boxes. I can do this.
    MFW START DATE May 16 118,340 : Oct17 - 109,495.00Dec17 108,800Jan 18 108,392.98 March 18 108,504.72April 108,099May 106,999June 105,999.99July 105,300.00
    Aug 103,999.99
    September 102,999.99
    NEXT GOAL is sub 100k before 2019Mortgage-free wannabe 2018 #65
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 14th Sep 18, 11:00 AM
    • 2,501 Posts
    • 26,124 Thanks
    mothernerd
    foxholes when mine were younger and had been fighting, I used to make them hug and kiss one another better - they hated it so it mostly worked. Read a post yesterday from someone who made him and his brother hold hands and sing the Barney (purple dinosaur) song - they are 18 and 19 yo.
    This year I will be fierce
    NST Sep #14 SFD 3 /15 Food 148.30/200 Travel 99.80/15 Ent/diy 15/30 Ext wedding stuff
    No Debt No mortgage
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 14th Sep 18, 4:24 PM
    • 1,617 Posts
    • 15,384 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    Afternoon All

It was a truly awful day here today. Winds, heavy rain, cold. We decided not to have lunch out in town because of the weather and because we were out on Wednesday. Was still a spendy day though. Had to buy a present and card for a new baby and some bits and pieces. Did find some ground coffee reduced from 3.90 to 98p so I bought all six packets. I drink a lot of coffee!

It's been a quiet day other than that but I really have a lot to do this weekend and organise myself before we go away.
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 14th Sep 18, 6:07 PM
    • 3,998 Posts
    • 36,919 Thanks
    dolly84
    Worked today. Kids had an early finish but I managed to get over to school and collect them, posted my ebay sales on the way home, cleaned the kitchen floor, bathroom and lounge then went for a run. Planning on getting in the bath after tidying the kitchen then having some chocolate and a glass of wine - first time I typed wine I put wind..
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

367Posts Today

4,276Users online

Martin's Twitter