Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • loulou41
    • By loulou41 29th Aug 18, 9:32 PM
    • 2,780Posts
    • 192Thanks
    loulou41
    Sky sports price increase
    • 29th Aug 18, 9:32 PM
    Sky sports price increase 29th Aug 18 at 9:32 PM
    Just got an email telling me of the price increase in October by 2. Sky sports will be in HD. Not really interested in hd as am paying 20 on an 18th months contract Hubby is only interested in football premier league so will be downgraded when the contract ends. Anybody else got the email? Thanks
Page 1
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 30th Aug 18, 8:54 AM
    • 3,065 Posts
    • 1,586 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 30th Aug 18, 8:54 AM
    • 30th Aug 18, 8:54 AM
    Interesting if they're finally including HD in the price, I think it's currently a 6 add-on. HD for the Entertainment package is a 5 add-on on top of that, I wonder if they're going to drop that and possibly increase the base price?

Edit: I just tried going in as a new customer and they're offering the full Sports package for an additional 20 and the price for Sports HD drops from 6 to 2 with a discount applied. Entertainment HD remains at 5 additional cost.
    Last edited by Colin_Maybe; 30-08-2018 at 9:01 AM.
    • Boohoo
    • By Boohoo 30th Aug 18, 11:21 AM
    • 599 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    Boohoo
    • 30th Aug 18, 11:21 AM
    • 30th Aug 18, 11:21 AM
    Interesting if they're finally including HD in the price, I think it's currently a 6 add-on. HD for the Entertainment package is a 5 add-on on top of that, I wonder if they're going to drop that and possibly increase the base price?

Edit: I just tried going in as a new customer and they're offering the full Sports package for an additional 20 and the price for Sports HD drops from 6 to 2 with a discount applied. Entertainment HD remains at 5 additional cost.
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    That maybe a good thing to have in HD but if people remember last August 2017 when Sky changed the sports packages from 1 channel to whatever the customer wanted instead of all together so they can choose what they wanted to watch like just football or F1 then it was 18 per channel or the Sports complete package for 25 i think and a hell of a lot of existing customers who were on 50-60% discounts losts that discount as Sky charged them the full whack like me and Sky insisted that the customer was better off.
    I hope this doesn't repeat itself all over again.
    • loulou41
    • By loulou41 30th Aug 18, 5:23 PM
    • 2,780 Posts
    • 192 Thanks
    loulou41
    • 30th Aug 18, 5:23 PM
    • 30th Aug 18, 5:23 PM
    Just spoke to sky cs full package for 22.50 on 18 months contract. For football premier league and sky sports news it will be 22 on 30 days contract. I will tend to go with the latter for the option of cancelling when football seasons are over itvwill work out cheaper than the 18 months contract. Interested to know what others are paying? Is there an option to leave without penalty when the price is increased.got app 3 months to go. Thanks
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 31st Aug 18, 9:41 AM
    • 5,177 Posts
    • 2,302 Thanks
    brewerdave
    • 31st Aug 18, 9:41 AM
    • 31st Aug 18, 9:41 AM
    Haven't had any emails re price increase and currently ,no sign of an increase in Future Bills in MySky ....however, my discounted deal ends mid October so I'll be "negotiating" shortly
    • loulou41
    • By loulou41 31st Aug 18, 1:10 PM
    • 2,780 Posts
    • 192 Thanks
    loulou41
    • 31st Aug 18, 1:10 PM
    • 31st Aug 18, 1:10 PM
    Interesting to know how you got on. I was told 22 for 2 and 50 for whole package when contract runs out. Surely this cannot be right.
    • Mwood1
    • By Mwood1 14th Sep 18, 9:15 AM
    • 40 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Mwood1
    • 14th Sep 18, 9:15 AM
    • 14th Sep 18, 9:15 AM
    I just received my notification yesterday of this 2 increase. Has anyone successfully negotiated this down to 0 - SD sports is fine for me, HD is not something I'm interested in.

Thanking you indvance.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 15th Sep 18, 9:07 AM
    • 5,177 Posts
    • 2,302 Thanks
    brewerdave
    • 15th Sep 18, 9:07 AM
    • 15th Sep 18, 9:07 AM
    There must be some subscribers to Sky Sports who are still on the "old" SD boxes. Wonder what they are doing for them?
    • loulou41
    • By loulou41 15th Sep 18, 12:13 PM
    • 2,780 Posts
    • 192 Thanks
    loulou41
    • 15th Sep 18, 12:13 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 12:13 PM
    Has anybody phoned sky and ask? I have phoned did not get anywhere. Will downgrade to stand alone premier league when contract ends in Nov.
    • Jojomissy
    • By Jojomissy 15th Sep 18, 1:46 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    Jojomissy
    Has anyone read the small print at the bottom of the email. I read it that it also ties you to another 18month contract. Surely not?
    • Boohoo
    • By Boohoo 15th Sep 18, 4:44 PM
    • 599 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    Boohoo
    Has anyone read the small print at the bottom of the email. I read it that it also ties you to another 18month contract. Surely not?
    Originally posted by Jojomissy
    Sky are very devious when it comes to the small print as you don't know if it is a new 18 month contract or not and is the 18 month min term just for Sport HD or a whole new contract for all your tv options?
    Also what if you have a discount on your account and then you get this forced upgrade and they put you on a new 18 month min term contract will you lose your discount and then have to pay full price for the 18 months because you used to do that if you changed your package or upgraded as they said Sky system can't have more than 1 discount at a time as in what happened last year when they changed the sports packs last August if people recall that mess up.
    • loulou41
    • By loulou41 15th Sep 18, 9:20 PM
    • 2,780 Posts
    • 192 Thanks
    loulou41
    When I spoke to sky I said I did not want to be tied for another 18 months at 22 for sky sports hd. I have chosen to give 31 days notice to downgrade at 18 with no contract. It will work cheaper as will cancel when sports season are over. I don't think you can cheaper than the 22. If anybody does pl let us know.
    • bubblegun
    • By bubblegun 16th Sep 18, 2:41 AM
    • 207 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    bubblegun
    There must be some subscribers to Sky Sports who are still on the "old" SD boxes. Wonder what they are doing for them?
    Originally posted by brewerdave

Customers with non-HD boxes are being sent free sky+HD boxes (A-Grade refurbished boxes), non-Sky+ (A-Grade refurbished boxes) or if available they can get Sky VIP tenure based offers on Sky Q if they'd prefer that.
    • cacti
    • By cacti 22nd Sep 18, 2:41 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    cacti
    We received the Sky+HD box today. It annoys me that we have to upgrade to HD to continue viewing the sports channels. We don't watch films but have most of the other Sky channels. Having read through the 'Install' instructions we realise how complicated this is, to us anyway. Sky have no sense of loyalty to their customers of many years, they are only interested in new customers. This is a sure sign that they are losing customers to BT etc. We are willing to have a go at most things but are reluctant to try this installation. My husband is 86 and I am 71. We are both computer savvy so we are not completely 'afraid' of techy matters. Anyone done this installation? How difficult is it?
    • kathytorres
    • By kathytorres 23rd Sep 18, 7:45 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    kathytorres
    I read the email.
    • pawlala
    • By pawlala 23rd Sep 18, 8:15 AM
    • 1,295 Posts
    • 3,677 Thanks
    pawlala
    good for you.
    Mortgage free I: 8th December 2009!
    Mortgage free II: New Year's Eve 2013!
    Mortgage free III: Est. Dec 2019...
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 23rd Sep 18, 9:44 AM
    • 5,177 Posts
    • 2,302 Thanks
    brewerdave
    Just agreed a new deal - Sports HD is still shown as a separate item on the breakdown of the bill, as is Sky HD.
    So Sports 28 discounted to 10 and Sports HD 6 discounted to 2
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 23rd Sep 18, 10:28 AM
    • 3,065 Posts
    • 1,586 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Just agreed a new deal - Sports HD is still shown as a separate item on the breakdown of the bill, as is Sky HD.
    So Sports 28 discounted to 10 and Sports HD 6 discounted to 2
    Originally posted by brewerdave
    Probably always will be on existing customers bills, only new or returning customers will have it rolled into the base Sports price.
    • loulou41
    • By loulou41 23rd Sep 18, 1:35 PM
    • 2,780 Posts
    • 192 Thanks
    loulou41
    This is a very good deal sky sports discounted to 10. Any advice how you did it. Thanks
    • loulou41
    • By loulou41 23rd Sep 18, 1:42 PM
    • 2,780 Posts
    • 192 Thanks
    loulou41
    We received the Sky+HD box today. It annoys me that we have to upgrade to HD to continue viewing the sports channels. We don't watch films but have most of the other Sky channels. Having read through the 'Install' instructions we realise how complicated this is, to us anyway. Sky have no sense of loyalty to their customers of many years, they are only interested in new customers. This is a sure sign that they are losing customers to BT etc. We are willing to have a go at most things but are reluctant to try this installation. My husband is 86 and I am 71. We are both computer savvy so we are not completely 'afraid' of techy matters. Anyone done this installation? How difficult is it?
    Originally posted by cacti
    When I upgraded to sky hd+ I could not do the installation after several attempts.Sky wanted to charge me to send an engineer to install. I refused and said I will cancel and they agreed for a free install. It is worth ringing sky if you still cannot self install and explain your situation.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,835Posts Today

7,831Users online

Martin's Twitter