Halifax home and contents insurance scam

Hello people of this great forum..
Ive got a problem with halifax insurance ive just noticed it..
Ive had buildings and contents with halifax bank for about 10to 15 years and have never missed a payment..
They debit me £45.90 per month like clockwork..£550 a year..
Anyway after browsing this website and going onto the house insurance searth thing where they give all the prices from different companies ,the halifax comes up as 4th cheapist at £97. A year..
What the hell..am i missing something here..£97 pound a year for house and contents is a big difference from the £550 i currently pay the halifax..
Any comments much appreciated please people and thanks..

Comments

• Back in 1991 when I last moved house, the Nationwide arranged insurance as the mortgage was with them and it was over £500 a year. I stopped that insurance after a year or two since which it has cost between £200 and £300 and even now, 27 years later, I still only pay just over £300. So definitely a rip off.

Also a more recent phenomenon is penalising loyalty as they put up the renawal price relentlessly each year while all the discounts are for new customers. You have to vote with your feet.
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Building and contents 4th cheapest at £97 sounds too cheap, are you sure? What level of excess is that, maybe several £100's to make it that low?
  • societys_child
    societys_child Posts: 7,110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 27 August 2018 at 4:10PM
    In what way do you think it's a scam?
    Buying a high cost policy from a bank isn't a scam, in the same way that paying Waitrose prices as opposed to lidl and Aldi etc prices isn't, and as mentioned above, doubtful a £97 policy will give the same cover
  • No ive got the details right ive done the search engine thing 3 times..should i cancel halifax insurace debit and go with the new halifax quote..
    There out quoting themselfes which is comical.
    Im trying to post a photo of the results but cant :)
    1..quote me happy £85
    2.axa £86
    3.liverpool victoria £87
    4.halifax £97
    Excess bulding £350
    Contents £350
  • £60,000 contents
    £90,000 building cover
  • elle_may
    elle_may Posts: 396 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    No ive got the details right ive done the search engine thing 3 times..should i cancel halifax insurace debit and go with the new halifax quote..
    There out quoting themselfes which is comical.
    Im trying to post a photo of the results but cant :)
    1..quote me happy £85
    2.axa £86
    3.liverpool victoria £87
    4.halifax £97
    Excess bulding £350
    Contents £350

Probably because the excess is quite high. Mine is only 50.00 on a policy 120.00 for both. the more the excess. usually the lower the quote and what extras you want comes into it, ie accidental damage, ect.
  • £60,000 contents
    £90,000 building cover

Are you having a laugh??

Even for a tent that is nowhere near enough for buildings cover.
  • I live in a 2 bed house on council estate jones..does that make me a bad person and not a celebrity..
  • Sorry my mistake its contents 75k and buildings 500k
  • £97 a year, even after cashback, for a two bed house with Halifax seems too low. Especially considering I think they have matching items cover. £250ish would be more realistic for their policy. Are you sure the site you're using is legitimate?

Double check the details - you may find your current policy with them has fewer exclusions than their newer policy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure