Travel Barclays Platinum Credit Card T & C

Options
snowshine
snowshine Posts: 148 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
edited 27 August 2018 at 9:29AM in Credit cards
Hello,
I read in here that Barclay Platinum Card has no overseas use charge until 2019.

I find the following on their account when I logged in:

One straightforward fee
The same 2.99% flat non-sterling transaction fee applies to purchases and cash withdrawals anywhere. We won't charge any additional cash withdrawal fees, but some ATM operators may apply a charge.

Mine is a Platinum card. Intend on travelling oversea, and will I be charged if I use my Platinum VISA to pay for purchases from a shop ?
Will I be charged a non-stearling transection fee for purchases when use my BarclayPlatinum VISA Card?

Thank you for your thoughts on this situation.

Regards

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you have a no fee promo until 2019, then you will only start paying the fee after that date.
  • snowshine
    Options
    If you have a no fee promo until 2019, then you will only start paying the fee after that date.
    I will e-mail Barclaycard to verify my status...That will be the best course of action, I suppose.
    I have thrown away the T & C I received with the card last year!!

Rgds
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    If you login to your account online you should see you promos and offers listed
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    That statement refers to their normal Barclaycard, including their Platinum, not to the Platinum Travel.
    So firstly you need to ascertain that yours is the Platinum Travel.
    Secondly and equally importantly, which tranche.
    There were two tranches released.The first, released in 2016, wherein the offer will expire on the 31st August 2018 with latest offer, released 2017, valid until 31st of August 2022.

So if you applied for yours in 2016/early 2017, the chances are that the offer will expire in a few days.
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    It doesn't look as if yours is the Travel product anyway. So that will be 2.99% on purchases abroad.
    It's not the worst card to use for travel, but there are many better options.
    Barclaycard Platinum Travel, Halifax Clarity, Creation Everyday, Santander Zero..
  • snowshine
    Options
    EveryWhere wrote: »
    That statement refers to their normal Barclaycard, including their Platinum, not to the Platinum Travel.
    So firstly you need to ascertain that yours is the Platinum Travel.
    There were two tranches released.The first, released in 2016, wherein the offer will expire on the 31st August 2018 with latest offer, released 2017, valid until 31st of August 2022.

So if you applied for yours in 2016/early 2017, the chances are that the offer will expire in a few days.
    Mine was applied for on 22 June 2017.

I am not certain if it was Barclaycard Platinum or Barclaycard Platinum Travel?

Anyway I could find this out?
    Rgds
  • snowshine
    Options
    !!! wrote: »
    If you login to your account online you should see you promos and offers listed
    where do you find this in your account?
    rgds
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Options
    Probably the most reliable way to find out for sure is to call them and ask
  • snowshine
    Options
    18cc wrote: »
    Probably the most reliable way to find out for sure is to call them and ask
    I called Barclays VISA,
    He'd confirmed it is Barclaycard Platinum Travel. (Card does not have travel inscribed)
    Also it does not have charges for using abroad until 2022.

Rgds
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 3,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 27 August 2018 at 1:34PM
    Options
    Absolutely correct - can I bore you all about my trials and tribulations with Barclays on this ?

MSE did a heads up on the first offer and I successfully applied within a few days.

Not so long after MSE flagged up Barclays revised offer to the effect there would be no fees until August 2022 - obviously a better deal than 2018.

I called Barclays and asked if I could switch over to the improved option and was told only after I'd held the original card for a minimum of six months - but I could still hold and use the original card and enjoy the same benefits until then.

Sound reasonable I thought, I'm not going to lose out by waiting off - however, the best laid schemes o' mice and men etc.

When I called back at the end of the six months I was told I was ineligible for the 2022 card as I already had the 2018 card which had not been closed.

I went to some lengths to point out that I'd earlier been instructed that it was OK to keep the first card active and apply for the revised version after the six months - Barclays wouldn't budge of course.

Anyway, cut to the chase - a letter to the Financial Ombudsman with all the pertinent details, a very pleasant and competent lady took up my case - resulting in the new card being issued quickly with £70 compensation.

The bottom line - you need the Barclay Platinum Travel Card which has no fees abroad until August 2022.

https://www.barclaycard.co.uk/personal/credit-cards/platinum-travel-credit-card

Best get on the 'phone to them soonest and switch over.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure