Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redmel1621
    • By redmel1621 26th Aug 18, 8:32 PM
    • 5,923Posts
    • 25,667Thanks
    redmel1621
    Little By Little...
    • 26th Aug 18, 8:32 PM
    Little By Little... 26th Aug 18 at 8:32 PM
    Well, I've been here before! Not on this forum as such, but in this situation. We never seem to learn, but this time is different. This time we are going to clear our debts once and for all.

I have been shoving my head in the sand pretending we barely have any debt, but in reality, we have lots and the debt mountain just keeps growing... It is starting to get out of hand.

I'm hoping a diary will help me to see clearly and break down exactly what needs paying and when. I am not expecting anyone to comment; I just need to hold myself accountable. Instead of wasting money on things that we shouldn't, I am going to throw it at the debts. The difficulty is getting the husband on board. He seems to think that because he is earning at the moment (quite a rarity I must say) he can just buy what he wants. He forgets half of what he has bought and then wonders why we have no money! I've said I am going to start writing down every penny he (I/we) spends, so that he can see where it is going.

Our debts are made up of lots of smallish amounts, no mortgage and no huge loans/credit card debts. Although we do have car finance, which is a pretty large amount and we are only 1yr into a 5yr repayment plan. The benefit of the car finance is that it is balanced out by the free road tax and very cheap fuel, because it is electric. The amount we were spending on these two 'bills' pretty much covers the finance each month.

The list of debts will be in the first post. Let's get these pesky numbers down to 0, little by little...
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.

Page 4
    • redmel1621
    • By redmel1621 2nd Oct 18, 2:30 PM
    • 5,923 Posts
    • 25,667 Thanks
    redmel1621
    I've advertised the Givi box on FB., but I think I will have a hard time selling it over winter. Most bikers will be storing their bikes away about now and any new bike purchases will be far from their mind. I'm yet to put it on eBay, so that will be my next job.

I asked the credit union for a settlement figure, but the lady who does it is off ill currently so it will be a few days. I told them not to worry and I will ask for one after our next payment has come out (next week) On thinking about it, we won't have the money until the end of next week anyway, so might aswell wait.

I have 2 pairs of adult (size 6 and size 10) roller blades to sell, but again, they are more of a summer item lol Maybe someone will buy them for Christmas as they have only been used once.

Not the most productive couple of days. I am trying though.

More fiddling with the budget is required later today.

• kindofagilr
    • By kindofagilr 3rd Oct 18, 12:39 PM
    • 6,347 Posts
    • 21,300 Thanks
    kindofagilr
    I've advertised the Givi box on FB., but I think I will have a hard time selling it over winter. Most bikers will be storing their bikes away about now and any new bike purchases will be far from their mind. I'm yet to put it on eBay, so that will be my next job.

I asked the credit union for a settlement figure, but the lady who does it is off ill currently so it will be a few days. I told them not to worry and I will ask for one after our next payment has come out (next week) On thinking about it, we won't have the money until the end of next week anyway, so might aswell wait.

I have 2 pairs of adult (size 6 and size 10) roller blades to sell, but again, they are more of a summer item lol Maybe someone will buy them for Christmas as they have only been used once.

Not the most productive couple of days. I am trying though.

More fiddling with the budget is required later today.
    Originally posted by redmel1621
    How much would you be selling the size 6 blades for? xx
    Current Debt 42,779.00/44,856.56 ~ 03/12/18 - 4.63% Paid

POAMAYC 2019 #87 0.00
    POAMAYC 2018 #87 13,912.57

POAMAYC 2017 #87 10,380.18
    POAMAYC 2016 #87 7454.80

Mortgage (Start Date 01/04/09 ~ 30 year term, due to end 01/07/39)
    83,049.71/104,409.00 (as of 30/11/18) ~ 20.45% Paid

Christmas Savings 18: Totalled 750/Christmas Savings 19: 0
    Cyprus 19 Savings: 190/2000 ~ Centre Parcs 19 Savings: 110/1500
    Emergency Fund: 50

My Debt Free Diary (Link)
    • DD265
    • By DD265 3rd Oct 18, 5:51 PM
    • 1,601 Posts
    • 3,536 Thanks
    DD265
    You are more than welcome to tell me to jog on, but I think DH should be saving up to buy his own phone. If he needs one to be contactable, Tesco sell an IMO Dash for 15 - or 5 if you top up a tenner. It has a colour screen AND a camera. 200 is no small amount of money, and I would be pointing out that he should've learnt his lesson the first time and bought a military grade case and/or insurance. I am a bit of a cow when it comes to this kind of thing though

It's worth listing the summer items now anyway. Worst case you have to relist them a few times, but you might find people preparing for Christmas presents or just hunting a bargain. I sold some winter things in summer, so there's hope! Oh and you could list (or trade in) DH's broken phone, somebody might buy it for parts even if not for very much. That said it may be worth checking if it can be repaired, depending on what/how bad the damage is.
    • redmel1621
    • By redmel1621 3rd Oct 18, 10:31 PM
    • 5,923 Posts
    • 25,667 Thanks
    redmel1621
    How much would you be selling the size 6 blades for? xx
    Originally posted by kindofagilr
    I have no idea tbh lol.

You are more than welcome to tell me to jog on, but I think DH should be saving up to buy his own phone. If he needs one to be contactable, Tesco sell an IMO Dash for 15 - or 5 if you top up a tenner. It has a colour screen AND a camera. 200 is no small amount of money, and I would be pointing out that he should've learnt his lesson the first time and bought a military grade case and/or insurance. I am a bit of a cow when it comes to this kind of thing though

It's worth listing the summer items now anyway. Worst case you have to relist them a few times, but you might find people preparing for Christmas presents or just hunting a bargain. I sold some winter things in summer, so there's hope! Oh and you could list (or trade in) DH's broken phone, somebody might buy it for parts even if not for very much. That said it may be worth checking if it can be repaired, depending on what/how bad the damage is.
    Originally posted by DD265
    Our money is pretty much joint, so it wouldn't really matter about him saving for it. It would just come out of the household money.

I've decided to apply for a new job. I'm not happy where I am and as a job at a place I would love has come up, I may as well go for it.

• kindofagilr
    • By kindofagilr 4th Oct 18, 12:04 PM
    • 6,347 Posts
    • 21,300 Thanks
    kindofagilr
    Good luck on the new job application hun xx

POAMAYC 2019 #87 0.00

POAMAYC 2016 #87 7454.80

• NelliePie
    • By NelliePie 4th Oct 18, 12:20 PM
    • 267 Posts
    • 574 Thanks
    NelliePie
    I've just found your diary and read it through. I've had a similar situation with my DH; he's not quite as spendy, but as I was in charge of the finances, he was oblivious to what I was doing to make sure we had enough to be able to do what we wanted whilst still saving. Getting him involved has really helped so when I suggest we need to cut back in certain areas (eating out is our biggest unnecessary spend) he can see where I'm coming from.Try to get him involved in every aspect of finances/planning etc as much as you can - it'll sink in eventually.

Also I'm sure you're aware but with regards to the order of your debts, it's generally the best way to pay off the highest interest debts first (but this should be balanced with clearing any debts that may soon have interest rate hikes).

Have you heard of snowballing? It can be helpful in figuring out the best order to pay off your debts and will work out how long you have left to pay. I know it may not be feasible yet but it'll also tell you how much time/money you could shave off by overpaying.
    https://www.vertex42.com/Calculators/debt-reduction-calculator.html Or http://www.whatsthecost.com/snowball.aspx

I'll be subscribing and following your journey! Good luck

ETA: Good luck with the job application!
    Little One's due date 18/12/18
    5/5/18 I became Mrs Pie
    FTB June '17 - 144k motrgage
    • redmel1621
    • By redmel1621 5th Oct 18, 7:49 PM
    • 5,923 Posts
    • 25,667 Thanks
    redmel1621
    I've just updated the debts list as a few payments have come out.

Had some bad news this evening Dh has been laid off. He got the call this evening.. I feel utterly sick and may have cried a little.
    He is confident he will get something, but I keep thinking the worst. It is awful timing (when is ever a good time to lose a job).

I feel sick

• GlendaSugarbean
    • By GlendaSugarbean 6th Oct 18, 8:35 AM
    • 324 Posts
    • 2,388 Thanks
    GlendaSugarbean
    So sorry about your news . Is he eligible for anything to tide you over while he finds something new?
    • redmel1621
    • By redmel1621 6th Oct 18, 10:20 AM
    • 5,923 Posts
    • 25,667 Thanks
    redmel1621
    Good luck on the new job application hun xx
    Originally posted by kindofagilr
    So sorry about your news . Is he eligible for anything to tide you over while he finds something new?
    Originally posted by GlendaSugarbean
    Thank you.

We will be eligible for all the usual suspects, but he is working his way through his contacts today, then will sign up with some agencies on Monday. Hopefully we won't need to go down the benefits route. We've had enough years dealing with them and are trying our utmost to avoid them like the plague.

He hasn't been in his current industry long, so doesn't have a massive amount of contacts yet. There are three firms locally, with lads he knows working there, so is trying those first.

I'm relieved he is acting quickly, although nothing may come of any of these communications.
    Last edited by redmel1621; 06-10-2018 at 10:38 AM.

• kindofagilr
    • By kindofagilr 8th Oct 18, 12:25 PM
    • 6,347 Posts
    • 21,300 Thanks
    kindofagilr
    Hugs hun, I hope he manages to find some work soon and you don't have to go down the benefit route (as I know you don't want to) xx

POAMAYC 2019 #87 0.00

POAMAYC 2016 #87 7454.80

• NelliePie
    • By NelliePie 8th Oct 18, 12:31 PM
    • 267 Posts
    • 574 Thanks
    NelliePie
    I'm sorry to hear about the job situation - hopefully he'll find something soon. At least it's come after you've started to put things into action rather than a year ago - you're much better equipped to deal with this now than before (granted it still won't be easy)
    Good luck
    Little One's due date 18/12/18
    5/5/18 I became Mrs Pie
    FTB June '17 - 144k motrgage
    • DD265
    • By DD265 8th Oct 18, 4:37 PM
    • 1,601 Posts
    • 3,536 Thanks
    DD265
    I'm sorry to hear that redmel, hopefully he finds another job quickly.
    • redmel1621
    • By redmel1621 8th Oct 18, 9:52 PM
    • 5,923 Posts
    • 25,667 Thanks
    redmel1621
    Not much to report here, but wanted to update the diary otherwise I'll forget about it and not come back. I don't want to forget my mission.

I finally submitted my application, along with 2 sides of A4 for my letter of application. Ridiculous applications these are. Fingers crossed I get an interview, but they are not fun at all. A full day of interview.

Dh has phoned a guy today; let's hope it leads to something. He has a few more numbers to try, but will wait to hear from this one first. Hopefully he will hear back from either the guy or the office tomorrow (one way or the other)

• kindofagilr
    • By kindofagilr 9th Oct 18, 12:13 PM
    • 6,347 Posts
    • 21,300 Thanks
    kindofagilr
    Good luck for you application and for DH, I hope he hears back soon xx

POAMAYC 2019 #87 0.00

POAMAYC 2016 #87 7454.80

• redmel1621
    • By redmel1621 11th Oct 18, 9:29 AM
    • 5,923 Posts
    • 25,667 Thanks
    redmel1621
    Things are up, as quickly as they are down! Dh got a call yesterday to say he can start work Monday. It is only a temp job (aren't they all in his line of work!!) but it is a guaranteed 3 weeks full time, then he is still with them, but they can't assure him there will be full time hours after that. He also got a text back from another guy saying still nothing at his firm, but keeping a look out for him. All positive really.

We have just paid 50 off the council debt, so I'll update the list. Once he starts getting his wages, we will work on paying extra off the debts.

• Nonnadiluca
    • By Nonnadiluca 11th Oct 18, 10:44 AM
    • 206 Posts
    • 2,103 Thanks
    Nonnadiluca
    Hi, I have just read your diary and you are doing really well in unpredictable and trying circumstances so give yourself a pat on the back!
    I use a free app called Spending Tracker which you might find useful. You can put as many different 'accounts' on as you want - I have one for the joint account, one for shopping, one for Xmas, one for "other spends", which covers fuel, clothes, eating out, car costs etc, but you can set it up however it works best for you. I like it because it's easy to use, I can update it instantly because I always have my phone on me, and obviously, because it's free!
    It's really helped me to keep a track of my spending, so may be worth a try.
    What is it with these boy/ men? My OH is lovely, but wouldn't know which way was up if I wasn't there to tell him!!
    • redmel1621
    • By redmel1621 12th Oct 18, 5:19 PM
    • 5,923 Posts
    • 25,667 Thanks
    redmel1621
    Dh started work today, instead of Monday, and he has work this weekend. I don't think he got the correct pay from his last employer was exactly right, but I'm not sure it is worth chasing it up. I'll leave it to him to decide. (it isn't a great deal of money and probably best to have nothing to do with them tbh)

I need to make a few payments that are due; I'll do that over the weekend and update the list.

• GlendaSugarbean
    • By GlendaSugarbean 13th Oct 18, 8:18 AM
    • 324 Posts
    • 2,388 Thanks
    GlendaSugarbean
    Great news about the new job . You're doing stellar work keeping everything together.
    • redmel1621
    • By redmel1621 13th Oct 18, 3:59 PM
    • 5,923 Posts
    • 25,667 Thanks
    redmel1621
    45 of payments made. Only a small overpayment made to Next of 5, but every little helps, eh!? I suppose it is still another 45 paid off the debt total.

10 - Next
    10 - STA
    10 - SLC
    10 - SLC
    5 - Restons

Hopefully Dh gets kept on in this job and we can start to get ourselves properly sorted out. I am so keen to get these debts down/cleared and it is driving me mad that we keep finding ourselves in rubbish situations and having to delay paying things off.

• redmel1621
    • By redmel1621 14th Oct 18, 12:13 PM
    • 5,923 Posts
    • 25,667 Thanks
    redmel1621
    I made the decision yesterday to restart Matched Betting. I never make loads from it, as I simply don't have the time.
    The reason I am spurred on to do this is that DS2 has brought home a letter from school about a trip that he can go on in 6th form: 10 days in South Africa. It is going to cost 1800. Now, he will have a part time job next year and has said he will pay as much as he can, but I also said I would try to cover as much as possible. Between us I'm sure we can cover it. It is expensive, but it will be a fantastic opportunity. The trip isn't until Feb 2020, so I am assuming payment will need to be made around this time next year. This means that If I can made 100pm the trip will almost be covered. It is fully inclusive so he won't need much money to spend while there.

IF I manage to make anything over the 100pm I will put that towards our debts. I know I should probably focus on the debts before a school trip, but my heart is over-ruling my head on this one

I am off to a good start with 2.30 made yesterday and 24.45 made today. Also found 7.70 in an old account, so a total of 34.45
    Last edited by redmel1621; 14-10-2018 at 1:54 PM.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

41Posts Today

4,067Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The responses to this thread are no question the best of british! https://t.co/jv5Q2ErQQC

• RT @SMinihane87: @MartinSLewis After she received the title she addressed it in literally the first episode of the next season of the appre?

• RT @WhichUK: ??CHRISTMAS WARNING TO PARENTS?? Don't buy any of these slimes for your kids ? they all contain potentially unsafe levels of?

• Follow Martin