Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DWhite
    • By DWhite 26th Aug 18, 5:48 PM
    • 164Posts
    • 601Thanks
    DWhite
    What have you baked today?
    • 26th Aug 18, 5:48 PM
    What have you baked today? 26th Aug 18 at 5:48 PM
    Iím so sure there used to be a thread by this name or at least very similar. I did a search and itís disappeared.
    Iím not great at posting often but I do like to lurk and read the threads and draw inspiration from them.
    So, Iím starting a new what have you baked today thread.

If in fact the old one has disappeared because it died then cíest la vie

Today due to the very autumnal feel of the weather, at least in my part of the country, I deciddd to do some baking.
    Iíve made 2 x batches of scones. One was plain, sweet scones and the other has goji berries. My DP was given a large bag of dried goji berries and theyíre not something we just eat so Iím finding uses for them.
    Then for my FIL I made some shortbread with goji berries and some Ďflapjackí with goji berries.
    I say Ďflapjackí as it is butterless and used banana and milk (maybe egg as well, I donít remember now!) mixed with the oats. Itís a squishy, cakey consistency. Iím not much of a fan but the others are demolishing it.
    We have extra thick double cream and extra special jam for the scones which I imagine wonít last long.
    DD is away for guides camp so Iíll keep some hidden ready for her return tomorrow.

What have you baked today?
Page 5
    • Whitefiver
    • By Whitefiver 19th Oct 18, 2:46 PM
    • 599 Posts
    • 428 Thanks
    Whitefiver
    Or you could put your money where your mouth is and let us judge by sending us a slice through the post
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse

If you send me a nice hot cup of tea, maybe.

White.

PS - The cake actually does taste very good, but it's very dense. I think that there's too much liquid in it? Even though the skewer came out clean, it could have done with longer in the oven in my opinion. Oh well, next time.....

If you feel like experimenting the link is here.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 19th Oct 18, 2:51 PM
    • 28,213 Posts
    • 60,137 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    It looks lovely, the kind of thing I could just keep on eating because it looks "healthy"
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
    • threepenny bit
    • By threepenny bit 21st Oct 18, 5:54 AM
    • 222 Posts
    • 1,826 Thanks
    threepenny bit
    I made my Christmas cakes today - doubled the recipe and used the old Lakeland square tins where you can add dividers and make different sized cakes - I split it into 4 squares and made 4 cakes about 6"x6". I will only marzipan them and give a couple away as gifts
    Fashion on a ration 5/66 used.

Save $2019 in my savings account during 2019 - 37/2019
    Work on selling items and decluttering
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 21st Oct 18, 11:13 AM
    • 28,213 Posts
    • 60,137 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I made my Christmas cakes today - doubled the recipe and used the old Lakeland square tins where you can add dividers and make different sized cakes - I split it into 4 squares and made 4 cakes about 6"x6". I will only marzipan them and give a couple away as gifts
    Originally posted by threepenny bit
    If they turn out well, you may want to think twice about this strategy

Well done on the forward planning but don't neglect them, Christmas cakes are know for their thirst

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 17th Nov 18, 12:15 PM
    • 1,471 Posts
    • 17,724 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Two batches of coconut biscuits baked on Thursday 15th November
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 2nd Dec 18, 4:52 PM
    • 1,471 Posts
    • 17,724 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    One fruit cake, a batch of coconut biscuits & a batch of choc chip biscuits.

Pretty certain many of you are baking up a storm for Christmas
    • Blackcatsreturns
    • By Blackcatsreturns 2nd Dec 18, 7:34 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 736 Thanks
    Blackcatsreturns
    A red velvet cake, using a Bet*y Croc*er cake mix I found at the back of the cupboard which should have been used by May 2017. It turned out remarkably well. I was going to throw the box of mix away but the oven was on and I had the other ingredients so I'm pleased not to have wasted it. Mind you I've no idea when or why I bought a box of cake mix!
    • silverspirit
    • By silverspirit 3rd Dec 18, 6:18 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 229 Thanks
    silverspirit
    I actually never baked, fancied some easy snacks and I melted chocolate added crispies, nuts and dried cherries. Blobs on greaseproof and on trays in the fridge.
    • katydo12
    • By katydo12 3rd Dec 18, 7:06 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 376 Thanks
    katydo12
    tomorrow I'm baking sugar cookies, quiches and scones! looking forward to a baking day.
    on the road to recovery..
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 3rd Dec 18, 7:19 PM
    • 28,213 Posts
    • 60,137 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I actually never baked, fancied some easy snacks and I melted chocolate added crispies, nuts and dried cherries. Blobs on greaseproof and on trays in the fridge.
    Originally posted by silverspirit
    I can predict that these will go very fast!

• VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 12th Jan 19, 11:38 PM
    • 28,213 Posts
    • 60,137 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Having finally mastered the art of rationing cake to just one small slice a day with my afternoon coffee, I am now confident that if I bake a cake / open a pack of biscuits I can make it last all week. Also, my niece and I had some successes in the kitchen before Christmas and in the first week of the New Year and our efforts were shared widely amongst family and friends, so I am planning to post on here more in 2019.

Am looking forward to hearing of others' baking creations for now.

• freyasmum
    • By freyasmum 7th Mar 19, 9:46 PM
    • 16,703 Posts
    • 48,865 Thanks
    freyasmum
    Is anyone else still baking?

Today I've made 2 of my granny's fruit loaves and a simple sponge.

I did want to make a sticky gingerbread, but I couldn't be bothered with melting the ingredients by the time I had the time to do it!

We're hopefully moving in the next few months, so I'm on a mission to clear the cupboards!

I have some strong bread flour, so will make foccacia with my daughter (it's delicious with red pesto and mozzarella. Even more so straight from the oven ) the next time we have an italian-inspired meal.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 7th Mar 19, 10:30 PM
    • 28,213 Posts
    • 60,137 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I have some strong bread flour, so will make foccacia with my daughter (it's delicious with red pesto and mozzarella. Even more so straight from the oven ) the next time we have an italian-inspired meal.
    Originally posted by freyasmum
    Am intersted as to how you get it light and fluffy? I've never really had success with yeast-based breads - mine always turns out too dense / hard for some reason, even of its proven to over twice its original size

• freyasmum
    • By freyasmum 7th Mar 19, 10:58 PM
    • 16,703 Posts
    • 48,865 Thanks
    freyasmum
    I just follow this recipe - https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/12336/focaccia-with-pesto-and-mozzarella%3famp

I do enjoy making bread though; I think the secret is making sure it's well kneaded.

Although I'm pretty sure the past few times I've made it, the yeast has been out of date. So I don't know, but it works for me. Now, pastry, on the other hand....!
    • GDB2222
    • By GDB2222 8th Mar 19, 6:56 AM
    • 15,048 Posts
    • 81,604 Thanks
    GDB2222
    I put a loaf in the bread maker last night, on a delay. It'll be ready in 15 minutes and smells great. Rye and wholemeal. Unfortunately, I can't have any until this evening, after I get back from hospital.

I've also just started another batch of bread for the weekend.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 9th Mar 19, 8:18 AM
    • 3,851 Posts
    • 35,545 Thanks
    maddiemay
    I had a sudden burst of energy about a week ago (new supply of spoons perhaps) and made a batch of flapjack that I enjoyed, many recipes are too sweet for me: 2 x 1lb GF lemon drizzle cakes, courtesy of Delia a Date and Walnut loaf for OH, a batch of GF cheese biscuits and some more yummy GF Breakfast Muffins (Waitrose recipe) for the freezer.

One of my favourite GF bloggers has updated her recipe for Dark & Sticky Jamaican Ginger Cake, so I hope to make a couple of those today, her aim when writing/producing recipes is to make food which is completely acceptable to the two coeliacs and the one muggle in her household, my OH (the muggle) is more than happy with most of the results. More flapjack to be attempted too

Having bought a rather horrid GF loaf recently which I am struggling not to waste, I might do a loaf of bread sometime soon too.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
    • DWhite
    • By DWhite 10th Mar 19, 9:39 PM
    • 164 Posts
    • 601 Thanks
    DWhite
    Feeling guilty for not keeping up with my own thread!
    I baked scones yesterday, nothing special. Just regular sweet scones but they’re lovely and just the treat we needed.
    Actually what I made was one big scone in a tart tin that I pre cut before baking, couldn’t be bothered doing rounds and re-rolling etc
    Personally I love a savoury scone, but I’m alone with that in the house. Also, I’m the only one in the house on a diet so have to be conscious of what I eat.
    Hope to bake something else next weekend. Back to work tomorrow having been off for 2 weeks, will be a shock to the system!
    • freyasmum
    • By freyasmum 10th Mar 19, 10:44 PM
    • 16,703 Posts
    • 48,865 Thanks
    freyasmum
    Oh I love a treacle scone and cheese!

Does anyone have a recipe for treacle scones? Preferably an easy one; I'm not amazing at scones. I think it's too heavy handed, hence the proclivity to make bread!
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 11th Mar 19, 7:08 AM
    • 3,851 Posts
    • 35,545 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Just a batch of flapjack made here, overcooked it a little, so was not easy to remove from tin, it turned out lovely and crunchy around the edges which I enjoy, OH is happy however it turns out.

Dwhite - I bake batches of GF cheese scones for me and ordinary fruit ones for OH, freeze them individually and then bag into the freezer, just a few seconds in the m/w to defrost and warm, or pop into the oven if it is on. I think it might be nicer freezing uncooked ones, but wouldn't put the oven on for just one

I intended making some cakes to take away with us in the caravan tomorrow, but the weather forecast is grim, staying at home in the warm
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
    • DWhite
    • By DWhite 11th Mar 19, 6:34 PM
    • 164 Posts
    • 601 Thanks
    DWhite
    Maddie - I’ve done that in the last actually, need to create some space in the freezer first! Never thought about freezing raw scone dough. I have an air fryer which would work for just baking one or two which is something to try!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,464Posts Today

5,846Users online

Martin's Twitter