Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DWhite
    • By DWhite 26th Aug 18, 5:48 PM
    • 153Posts
    • 576Thanks
    DWhite
    What have you baked today?
    • 26th Aug 18, 5:48 PM
    What have you baked today? 26th Aug 18 at 5:48 PM
    Iím so sure there used to be a thread by this name or at least very similar. I did a search and itís disappeared.
    Iím not great at posting often but I do like to lurk and read the threads and draw inspiration from them.
    So, Iím starting a new what have you baked today thread.

If in fact the old one has disappeared because it died then cíest la vie

Today due to the very autumnal feel of the weather, at least in my part of the country, I deciddd to do some baking.
    Iíve made 2 x batches of scones. One was plain, sweet scones and the other has goji berries. My DP was given a large bag of dried goji berries and theyíre not something we just eat so Iím finding uses for them.
    Then for my FIL I made some shortbread with goji berries and some Ďflapjackí with goji berries.
    I say Ďflapjackí as it is butterless and used banana and milk (maybe egg as well, I donít remember now!) mixed with the oats. Itís a squishy, cakey consistency. Iím not much of a fan but the others are demolishing it.
    We have extra thick double cream and extra special jam for the scones which I imagine wonít last long.
    DD is away for guides camp so Iíll keep some hidden ready for her return tomorrow.

What have you baked today?
Page 5
    • Whitefiver
    • By Whitefiver 19th Oct 18, 2:46 PM
    • 598 Posts
    • 428 Thanks
    Whitefiver
    Or you could put your money where your mouth is and let us judge by sending us a slice through the post
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse

If you send me a nice hot cup of tea, maybe.

White.

PS - The cake actually does taste very good, but it's very dense. I think that there's too much liquid in it? Even though the skewer came out clean, it could have done with longer in the oven in my opinion. Oh well, next time.....

If you feel like experimenting the link is here.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 19th Oct 18, 2:51 PM
    • 27,324 Posts
    • 58,285 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    It looks lovely, the kind of thing I could just keep on eating because it looks "healthy"
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • threepenny bit
    • By threepenny bit 21st Oct 18, 5:54 AM
    • 215 Posts
    • 1,780 Thanks
    threepenny bit
    I made my Christmas cakes today - doubled the recipe and used the old Lakeland square tins where you can add dividers and make different sized cakes - I split it into 4 squares and made 4 cakes about 6"x6". I will only marzipan them and give a couple away as gifts
    1st challenge to pay CC (JV1) 0/$2100 updated
    Christmas 2018 challenge 50/600
    Work on selling items and decluttering
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 21st Oct 18, 11:13 AM
    • 27,324 Posts
    • 58,285 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I made my Christmas cakes today - doubled the recipe and used the old Lakeland square tins where you can add dividers and make different sized cakes - I split it into 4 squares and made 4 cakes about 6"x6". I will only marzipan them and give a couple away as gifts
    Originally posted by threepenny bit
    If they turn out well, you may want to think twice about this strategy

Well done on the forward planning but don't neglect them, Christmas cakes are know for their thirst

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 17th Nov 18, 12:15 PM
    • 1,365 Posts
    • 15,767 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Two batches of coconut biscuits baked on Thursday 15th November
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 2nd Dec 18, 4:52 PM
    • 1,365 Posts
    • 15,767 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    One fruit cake, a batch of coconut biscuits & a batch of choc chip biscuits.

Pretty certain many of you are baking up a storm for Christmas
    • Blackcatsreturns
    • By Blackcatsreturns 2nd Dec 18, 7:34 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 735 Thanks
    Blackcatsreturns
    A red velvet cake, using a Bet*y Croc*er cake mix I found at the back of the cupboard which should have been used by May 2017. It turned out remarkably well. I was going to throw the box of mix away but the oven was on and I had the other ingredients so I'm pleased not to have wasted it. Mind you I've no idea when or why I bought a box of cake mix!
    • silverspirit
    • By silverspirit 3rd Dec 18, 6:18 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 223 Thanks
    silverspirit
    I actually never baked, fancied some easy snacks and I melted chocolate added crispies, nuts and dried cherries. Blobs on greaseproof and on trays in the fridge.
    • katydo12
    • By katydo12 3rd Dec 18, 7:06 PM
    • 118 Posts
    • 364 Thanks
    katydo12
    tomorrow I'm baking sugar cookies, quiches and scones! looking forward to a baking day.
    on the road to recovery..
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 3rd Dec 18, 7:19 PM
    • 27,324 Posts
    • 58,285 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I actually never baked, fancied some easy snacks and I melted chocolate added crispies, nuts and dried cherries. Blobs on greaseproof and on trays in the fridge.
    Originally posted by silverspirit
    I can predict that these will go very fast!

• VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 12th Jan 19, 11:38 PM
    • 27,324 Posts
    • 58,285 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Having finally mastered the art of rationing cake to just one small slice a day with my afternoon coffee, I am now confident that if I bake a cake / open a pack of biscuits I can make it last all week. Also, my niece and I had some successes in the kitchen before Christmas and in the first week of the New Year and our efforts were shared widely amongst family and friends, so I am planning to post on here more in 2019.

Am looking forward to hearing of others' baking creations for now.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

211Posts Today

2,988Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • This probably (who knows) makes it both more likely we'll remain in the EU via a 2nd referendum and more likely we'? https://t.co/GrNV48E1jS

• Instant aftermath poll: After a defeat by over 230 votes on a flagship issue (Brexit) should Theresa May resign?

• Wow losing by over 200. That's not defeat it's obliteration. Has there ever been a time before when a PM could lo? https://t.co/i0sVwL9P9P

• Follow Martin